DnD5e Chronicles of Jrd: Troubled Lands - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 12th, 2022, 07:09 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32265
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Chronicles of Jrd: Troubled Lands

Game NameChronicles of Jrd: Troubled Lands
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSandbox Adventures in a Homebrew World
FlavourMid to Low Fantasy, Sandbox, Gritty, Damsels and Knights in Distress, Intrigue and Politics(?), Music to set the Mood

Applications closed. Thank you to everyone that applied or considered doing so!

Quote:
Before the world was created there existed only the sullen glare of the Makers eternal forge. For eons it hung alone on the sky, home to the Maker as they attempted different creations only to throw them away and start over, unsatisfied with the result.

Time and time again the Makers hammer would rise and fall, only to have the creation fall short of the Makers divine standard.

Frustrated at their lack of progress, the Maker turned to their first creation a gleaming raven made of the darkest onyx for inspiration. The raven, devious and cunning, suggested that the Makers creations lacked a thing to evoke true feelings in those that beheld them. The creations, because they were made by the Maker, were perfection. And because they were perfection, they lacked those little impurities and flaws that set each creation aside and turned them into something unique.

The Maker was stunned by this revelation but found in the raven words the inspiration they had been missing, and immediately set out to design their biggest creation so far.
They would craft a globe to serve as a home for their many creations, and all things on the globe would be made with minor imperfections, minor flaws so as to ensure the uniqueness of every single creation.

The Maker took up their hammer and set to their task with renewed vigor and purpose. And then, upon the Anvil of Creation they brought forth Jrd and all existence on it.
It was the ideal creation that the Maker had envisioned, each minute detail painstakingly handcrafted at their forge, each crack and crevasse, each tall mountain or sloping valley brought into existence with bold blows of their hammer all made according to their overall design.

As the Maker swung their hammer again and again, bent over the anvil and bathed in the heat and red glow of their forge, sweat poured from their brow and fell down to merge with their creation, forming vast oceans where they pooled together.

And when every last pebble had been placed, every leaf of grass angled just right the Maker sat back and breathed a sigh of joy and their breath flew across the plains of Jrd, swept through the trees caressing each valley and kissing each mountain tops. And for a while the Maker sat and marveled at their creation.

Such was their joy at what they had wrought, so great their jubilance at the work they had done, that a single large tear formed and majestically rolled down a golden cheek to drop down onto their creation. And when it struck against Jrd it burst into the many rivers and lakes and streams that spread out across the earth.

And one by one the Maker populated their new creation. First, they brought forth the Trolls, pulled from the roots of the mountains, then the Fae, who spread to the deep forests and snow filled tundras. The Dwarves came next, bound to fire and the places on Jrd closest to the Makers forge and finally they made Humans. Built upon the skeleton of the other races, a mixture of Troll, Fae and Dwarf and able to breach the divide between all.

For a time, all was good. Jrd was everything the Maker had hoped it would be, and for the first time since the Beginning, the Maker put down their hammer and was content simply to watch events unfold on their finest creation.

But the raven had a different design. For too long it had sat at the forge with nothing to do but cater to the Makers will. And now the Maker had crafted a world a place the raven could inhabit and explore and mold after its own design. And so, when the Maker was distracted, the raven took flight and left the forge, hiding itself on the dark side of the world, away from the burning glare of the Makers fire

Explanation of Intent
Jrd is a small pet project of mine that Ive been on and off working on for a few years now. I made the world and setting with the goal of running a tabletop group in something I had complete creative freedom over, would know by heart (or be able to fake it until I figured out where to go with things) and that would allow my players relatively free reigns to invent themselves and help build up the world, its lore and mythology.

My tabletop group is now hard at work exploring Jrd, and Great Things have already been created as a result.

But Jrd is huge, and I couldnt help but wonder if running a PbP game alongside my regular group wouldnt be a great way to explore different parts of the world. Or even revisit things my tabletop group already did, just to allow myself another crack at fleshing out events or areas even more.

So that is what I am going to do. And I invite you to join me in exploring the strange places in my mind that have made it into the world of Jrd and help expand on the setting by taking me places I never knew existed until they suddenly did.

Information
This is intended as a sandbox game. That means, I provide the overall framework, but it is up to you to decide what we do with it. As a result there are also a LOT of blank areas in Jrd. And that is deliberate. I am leaving space for you (yes, *you*, reading right now) to fill Jrd with everything you feel would help make a great setting and an even greater story. I reserve the right to nudge you in any direction, but I am generally open to most things - or at least open to using your ideas as a groundwork for a bit of brainstorming and spitballing until we figure something out we both think could work. Slap me silly with your creativity and I'll see how we make it stick and where!

We will begin the game in the Eastmark, the easternmost province of the Kingdom of Caldaria. It is an area that up until some 100-years ago belonged to the people of the Cwyll, and before that, other nations and tribes called it home. A short but brutal invasion followed by decades of occupation has left Eastmark as a backwater place. A frontier somewhat reminiscent of the Wild West, where local lords reign like kings and tyrants and the long arm of the Royal lawmen can seem far away. That does not necessarily mean a society of outlaws and neer-do-wells just that this is the fringes of civilization, where things are a bit more wild and rough and tumble, than in the cradle of civilization that is the Caldarian capital of Caerdon, weeks worth of travel away.

For one reason or another, your characters are in Eastmark. You need not want to be here, and might desire to leave as quickly as circumstances would allow it but for the foreseeable future, this is the area we will be playing in, so, for better or worse, your character needs to be somewhat invested in it.

Characters: I'm aiming for four-five characters. New players and veterans alike are welcome to apply. All I ask is a willingness to adapt to a new world and a desire to fill it with great tales of legends and wonder.

Language and mood: I tend to go for a bit grittier stories. I enjoy exploring moral grey zones, and placing players in positions where they will have to choose between rocks and hard places. Not everything will be sunshine and rainbows and though I'll of course abide by the PG-13 rating, expect foul language and fouler npc's.

Timeframe: It is the 12th of April now. Let's set a tentative deadline for applications for May 3nd. That is three weeks away, which should be ample time to get something down in writing. I will answer questions as they pup up and try to gather everything into a FAQ kept on the first page of this thread.
As time and mood allow it, I may prompt you with questions or suggestions to help you sharpen your applications up and make your characters crisp and strong and able to fit in to the world and setting.

Rate of posting: I will not attempt to set a pace I cannot hope to keep, so I am expecting once a week at max. As a rule, I'll attempt to update when everyone has gotten at least one post in and I have an open window to write something coherent, so if the pace increases, I will do my best to follow along but I do not want to set unrealistic expectations. IRL gets in the way sometimes, and we need to adapt to that.

Creating your character

Races: Well be playing in what is known as the Eastmark or Lower Cwyll (depending on who you ask). It is the easternmost province of Caldaria and is predominantly human. As a low fantasy setting, humans will consist of at least 80% (if not more) of the people you will meet and only by traveling far (far) away from your starting area is that likely going to change. That said, a few other homebrew races exist, namely Jerghalan dwarves, Trollkin, Watchers.

Classes: Everything official works. In some cases, a simple reskin of a class to make it more thematically fitting may be a great way to get to play something you love, while also have it fit into a world a lot less magical and steampunk than seems to be the norm of todays DnD. There is only one true restriction: in order to play a druid you *must* be a Watcher, and to be a Watcher you *must* play a druid. That race and class is meshed into one single entity in Jrd.

Jrd is a low magic world. What that means is that while you can play everything you want, playing a spellcaster makes you a rarity. Then again, you *are* burgeoning heroes, so you should feel special.

Alignment: I dont really do alignments. Feel free to include or not as you see fit.

Starting Level: 1 and future leveling will be by Milestone.

Starting Equipment: Standard starting equipment. If something feels out of place and you want to swap it with something else, let me know and well figure something out.

Ability Score Selection: Standard Array. Be aware that every race including humans have gotten an overhaul in this setting, meaning that every race gets to assign either +2/+1 or +1/+1/+1 stat points wherever they chose (on the downside, no variant humans with feats, but you cant have it all, can you?)

Hit Points: Max at first level. Roll for each subsequent level (you get to reroll each roll once, but must abide by the second result)

Application Format
Name: Character name

Gender Identity:

Race: See above for a bit more on races.

Class:

Description: Your character's physical description and mannerisms. A picture is awesome, but words is why we are here.

Personality: What lies beneath the surface?

Background: Talk about yourself. Who are you? Where are you from? Do you have family/friends? Are they alive? What persuaded you to head to Eastmark? What are your goals in life? Feel free to secret things if needed (if, for example, you are more or less than you say you are and dont want others to know), but the more there is for me to work with here, the better. A good background allows me to flavor the game with things that your character can work into their RP a great background allows me to build entire adventure arcs!

Background Archetype:

Personality Traits x2/Ideal/Bond/Flaw: Remember that the ones provided are not necessarily final and can be used for inspiration. Or feel free to mix and match from different backgrounds if that works for you as well (if so, please let me know from where).

Contacts: Please come up with 3-5 people that are somehow connected to your character. This can be anything from family to rivals or people you owe money. At least one of the five needs to be friendly, and one hostile.

Writing Sample: Optional

Setting InfoAnyone interested in looking a bit deeper into the setting can go to the game forum and dig around. Stuff will be regularly be added as I go through my various notes and get it typed in, but at least theres a bit to get started in terms of religion and geographical locations.

Link

Last edited by Thorsten; May 3rd, 2022 at 03:18 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 07:13 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Q&A
Q: Is Critical Roll's Blood Hunter class available?
A: Sure. We can work the concept into this world in one way or another.

Q: What pantheon are you using in Jord? As it's homebrew I don't want to assume any of the standard.
A:

Q: What are the typical physical attributes of each human race? e.g. skin tone, hair, eyes, build.
A:

Q: Is there any type of map to accompany the continent lore?
A:

Q: Couple of Questions: 1st, is Multiclassing a thing? And 2nd, is there an expected end level to this game (no sense in planning out a progression to level 10 if we're stopping around level 4) ?
A:

Q: Any Druid circle restriction in Jrd?
A: No circle restrictions.

Player Character Race and Heritage Class Status
JohnStone Valisha Nightengale Human (Ceganastran) Warlock (Hexblade) Done - 1st feedback given
tomplum Kinya Human (Ceganastran) Sorcerer Done - 1st feedback given
Effete Jaquin Almauld Human (Beroulon) Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) Done - 1st feedback given
Anea Garmr Farbanti Trollkin (Trollhemner) Barbarian WIP
Begon Ugo Thomman Aggamor Human (Caldarian) Rune Knight Done - 1st feedback given
MercurialJack Jakob Brandonbain Human (Caldarian) Cleric Done - 1st feedback given
Onward Natholomew Shagettio Human (Beroulon) Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline) Done - 1st feedback given
delpinator daggen Human (Ceganastran) Artificer (Armorer) WIP
XQbitor Roskva The Curseling Trollkin (Trollhemner) Blood Hunter (reflavored) Done - 1st feedback given
JrodGore ShaleskinTrollkin (Trollhemner)PaladinDone - 1st feedback given
AlemarAlestair CamdenHuman (Caldarian)FighterDone - 1st feedback given
DiceGoblinCallum AllerionHuman (Caldarian)RangerDone - 1st feedback given
cappucinaRadeljostWatcherDruidDone - 1st feedback given
Silent RainRathe CollinHuman (Caldarian)BardDone - 1st feedback given
TogotMorholt CasterHuman (Ceganastran)WizardDone - 1st feedback given
FatherDondoSaskiaHuman (Ceganastran)ClericDone - 1st feedback given
AlatereEli 'Gravetouched'Human (Caldarian)WarlockDone - 1st feedback given
Drifter OneSkarn BlackwaterHuman (?)FighterDone - 1st feedback given
Pig ManDreigrTrollkin (Trollhemner)Fighter (Battlemaster)WIP
GeneTNkumeKamenGurWatcherDruidDone - 1st feedback given
NasrithJahan BalaskasDwarf (Jerghalan)Rogue (Inquisitive)Done - 1st feedback given
Talissen70Neran TovuuDwarf (Jerghalan)ClericDone - 1st feedback given
ElanirAdelbard of House ReyngaardHuman (Solnian)Cleric (Order)Done - 1st feedback given

Note: I will not mark anyone as complete until they explicitly state it.

Last edited by Thorsten; May 3rd, 2022 at 03:16 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 07:59 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 458
MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack
Definitely interested in this. I'll try and put together an application in the next few days! Already have a couple ideas for potential characters, so it may be seeing who else applies with what and what may fit best.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 09:42 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1584
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
introduction
left-aligned image
Victoria Sterling
Human, Female (19) (I went back and forth on this but I think Solnian fits well with the Sterlings, plus it gives us something to do in Soln eventually.Solnian)
Swashbuckler for sure. I hope to play up the classic trope with a feminine twist.Rogue

Background: Performance and Persuasion, her noble influence wont hold much weight in Eastmark but her reputation as a scoundrel might. She does have friendly criminal contacts after all. Noble

Personality Trait:
Charm- I take great pains to always look my best, flirtation is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
Personality Trait:
Guile- I am carefully aware of my surroundings, always with a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideal:
Aspiration- I'm determined to make something of myself, through any means necessary.
Bond:
Nobility- I come from a noble family that I can not return to. However that wont stop me from reclaiming the respect I deserve.
Flaw:
Greed- When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.

Description
right-aligned image
Appearance:
Victoria is an attractive young woman with a petite frame. Her black hair and light complexion contrast nicely, accentuated by silvery blue eyes. She prefers to wear nice things and has a sense for the latest styles. Most often she is seen wearing tight leather pants, high boots and a loose dress shirt that probably displays more skin than is necessary. A black leather coat serves as both protection and means of storing the tools of her trade.
Victoria will often avoid a fight if possible, but she is more than capable of combat if necessary. With several daggers strapped to her belt, another in her boot and a deadly blade concealed within the lords cane she carries this rogue is well equipped for battle.

a mix of Catwoman and Zorro with a little Paris HiltonPersonality:
Victoria can be rather full of herself, though she merely sees it as confidence. She is usually optimistic and pleasant but can be an annoying bitch when she wants. An incorrigible flirt, she is often the life of the party.
Born to a noble house she knows how to carry herself with poise and dignity. She is however completely self absorbed, caring little for anything but her own ambitions. Those ambitions center around attaining the wealth and favor that she believes in due to her.

BackstoryHistory:
Victoria was born to the noble house of Lord and Lady Sterling of the Solnian city of Argent. A region known for its clear skies and vast silver mines. The Sterlings are an old family that has been in Soln for centuries. One of the wealthiest as well, though the mines aren't producing like they used to and darker times have fallen onto the city.

At the time of the girl's birth her parents were aged beyond their prime and unfortunately her mother did not survive the delivery. Devastated Lord Sterling fell into a deep depression that he never truly recovered from. As a result Valeera was left to grow up without her parents guidance, an orphan in a luxurious home. To make matters worse her elder brother Varian despised his sister blaming her for his mother's death and the hardships that followed.

She found herself more at home with the urchin children of the streets. She grew up learning how to steal and swindle in the seedier parts of the city. She didn't need to steal but she enjoyed the thrill of the game. As time went on she gained a reputation with the local guard, her name kept her out of trouble with the law but not without repercussions at home. As her father's Health worsened and her brother began to take on the responsibilities of rulership Victoria became more alienated and more rebellious.

Eventually her adolescent logic led to the decision that it would be best to leave Argent and make a life for herself. Issabella was a friend with connections in Eastmark and the two of them crafted a plan to escape with as much of the sterling wealth as they could. It wasnt as much as they hoped but Victoria managed to snag a few choice items and they made it out by ship and the open sea.

PeopleContacts:

Lord Victor Sterling:
Victoria's father used to be a jovial man. He and his wife may not have been the greatest of nobility but they were deeply in love. After her death he fell apart, drinking himself half to death and ignoring his responsibilities to his lands, his people and his family. In recent years he has been ill and his daughters self exile saddened him to sobriety. Though his influence may be waning he is still the Lord of Argent and may help Valeera should she return to Soln. (Friendly)

Probably a Paldin or Sorcadin designed to be a late game threat.Varian Sterling: Victoria's older brother is a powerful force in Soln. A talented general and ruthless dictator. His ambition is only usurped by his anger and narcissism. He is sure to cause problems for Victoria and her friends should they ever set foot in Soln. (Hostile)

Our Damsel in distress, I can see a love affair growing between these two characters as time goes onIssabella Pyke: Vicky's friend from Argent, the two have been inseparable for years. Issabella is a shy and intellectual counter to Val's extroverted flair. A shrewd fence and resourceful thief she has connections to criminal and other enterprises here in Eastmark. (Friendly)

Think Gaston from beauty and the beast. I figure he could lead to a villain or adventure hook in the early game.Bastion Yourne: A hedge knight in favor of the Marcher Lords Bastion has done well in Eastmark, even holding a small castle and lands. A handsome capable and truly arrogant man he and Victoria had a brief affair. Unfortunately that ended when Valeera made off with a pile of coin and half of his silverware. Still enamored by the young beauty but not one to be humiliated Bastion is on the hunt for Victoria. Truth be told she is rather attracted to him as well or at least his position. (Complicated)

Last edited by JohnStone; Apr 29th, 2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1992
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Apr 28th, 2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19440
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Kinya (means little/small/young in Ceganastran)

Gender Identity: Female

Race: Human, Ceganastran

Class: Sorcerer

Description: Sun-kissed Olive skin and long dark brown hair had once tumbled down to Kinya's lower back. She had always been tall, standing at a full six feet and working on her family's farm had honed a musculature that many men would have been jealous of. A hard worker, she had kept the farm going even as her father's ability to keep up had waned in his later years.

That was...until its emergence. The night of the bandit attack changed all that. At the onset of her powers, a third eye opened upon her forehead and strange ridges formed radiating out from her nasal bridge. In the months since, she has been unable to eat more than a scant portion as anything more will reduce her to violent vomiting as if the entity within her abhors nourishment. Her full frame has wasted away to a sickly skeletal thinness that looks no more robust than a desiccated corpse and her once brilliant olive skin has grown pale and tinged with a yellow as one with jaundice.

She now keeps a hood low over her face at all times to hide the adherent eye on her face and wears a billowing cape and loose robes to hide her withered frame.

Personality: Once optimistic and outgoing, Kinya has become quiet and anxious as her appearance has rendered her afraid to reveal herself to others or to ask for help. While her kind heart remains, she has gone from a strapping farm girl to a timid mouse.

Background: Born in a forest on the outskirts of Eastmark to an afflicted Ceganastran woman who had been able to portal herself back home to have her baby on Talb, Kinya was rescued by a watcher who kept her alive until she was old enough to be left with a nearby farmer and his wife to adopted her as their own. However, the taint of the otherworld the Ceganastran were taken to manifested itself upon Kinya and has left her disfigured, unable to eat to fulfillment and possessed with strange powers that she can scarcely control. Her father's dying word, "Empathy" was a tantalizing clue but one Kinya knows not the true meaning of. She finds herself hunted by a sheriff who was tracking the prisoners who attacked her family the night of her emergence and the horizon walker who is determined she is an other-worldly threat that must be put down.

Background Archetype: Aberrant Mind

Personality Traits: I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.

If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help.

Ideal: I’ll stop the spirit that haunt me or die trying.

Bond: My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil that only I can destroy.

Flaw: The entity in my soul harbors dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation and meditation failed to quell.

Mixed Folk Hero, Hermit and Haunted One

Contacts:
Empathy: A watcher that came across a young Ceganastran infant in the wilds of Eastmark. He coaxed a wolf mother to nurse the babe and kept her alive in the months after finding her before taking her to the outskirts of a village where he left the babe with a farmer. He alone knows the truth of Kinya's birth, he witnessed it.

Lord Durban: Local sheriff who was tracking the escaped convicts who attacked Kinya's farmhouse the night of her emergence. He witnessed one figure leave the cottage and found his dead prisoners plus the farmer's and his wife's deceased bodies. He has been tracking this mysterious figure who left alive.

Althea Dian: Horizon Walker ranger who tracked a portal to the location that Empathy found the baby. Empathy hid Kinya from the ranger that day but Althea would be very interested to learn of Kinya's physical description and her proximity to place she had found a portal seventeen years earlier. Whatever creature came through that portal must be destroyed.

Writing Sample: Excerpt from a recent game post.
Something for this character.
Night had come early over the farmhouse as a thick cover of fog obscured what little light was provided by the waning moon and rain had softly begun falling creating a droning pitter patter upon the thatched roof. Harvest was in and the small family of three was settled around a table to savor some of the fruits of their labor before taking a large portion of their pickings into town to sate the lord's taxes and sell what little would be left for coin that would hopefully see them through the winter months. His back aching, father stood and held up his wooden cup filled with cider and addressed the two women at the table. "To my loving wife, who sacrificed a life of comfort and plenty to join a simple fool with a green thumb and naught else." Shaking her head and smiling, mother gripped father's hand and simply responded, "I love you."

Father then looked to his daughter and said, "Without you, I'd have never gotten the wagon loaded...or the fields planted...or the horses fed...or the water fetched." He shook his head and added, "We've gone and gotten too old for this and I fear I've kept you here longer than you should have been."

He had been about to continue when an arrow flew through the open window, piercing his shoulder blade. The door was kicked in and three men forced their way into the cottage. They were dirty and looked to be starving, likely escaped prisoners or wanted men. "Food!" The first man said with a dagger in his hand. "And whatever coin you have!"

Kinya's mother must have hesitated just a moment too long, for the raving man lunged at her, stabbing her in the chest with his blade. "I said food!" Crying out in terror, Kinya's voice drove disorienting spikes of psychic energy into the minds of everyone in the cottage who covered their ears and moaned in agony. Then dark tendrils of horrible energy erupted from the girl, lashing out at both robber and family. When Kinya's shouting had died down, she was alone in a broken house with dead bodies strewn about the small house. Her father, however, stirred on the ground. She cradled his head in her lap and as he took his dying breathes, he said one word, "Empathy."

Last edited by tomplum; May 3rd, 2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 11:31 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 211
DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin
Throwing in my interest. I'll have a character up in the next couple of days.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 01:51 PM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12115
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
Interested in playing a Trollkin. Is Critical Roll's Blood Hunter class available?

Last edited by XQbitor; Apr 12th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 01:57 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2718
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
left-aligned image

right-aligned image

Name: Deamon

Race: Drow

Alignment: CN

Appearance: 6ft young drow male dressed in black. With death in his eyes.

Class: Fighter(eldtitch Knight)

Background: soldier

Personality traits: I can stare down a hell hound.
I face problems head-on.

Ideal: Independence

Bond: none at this time.

Flaws: I leave little respect for those who aren't proven warriors.
I'd rather eat my armor than admit I was wrong.

Backstory: Deamon was born in Demoncraft. A drow city in which demon and deamon summoning is normal. And at some point all males are sacrificed to do this. His was second in the 23 house city.
He was bred and raised to be the best fighter in the city so as to train both male and female drow (of course he was beaten each time he won against a female). As such he's stronger and bigger than the average drow.
But as all males are sacrificed no matter rank he was still seen and treated as property, slave, trash... A life he neither liked or wanted. He was taught to believe all from the young to old, weak to strong must be able to fight. And so see those who can't as weak and useless. As even those like him are considered nothing. He excelled at all weapons especially 2 weapons fighting. Blind fighting. And as magic and demons were constantly used fighting and using magic. He would be a powerful eldritch knight if he lived long enough.
As house weapons master he was also in charge of the house soldiers. His house and rank insignia could be tracked at all times, so both those under his command and all females could find him. His rank marked him as both general and house Lord... but still lower than the lowest female in the city.
His life was not good. better than most males but torture pain and enslavement was his lot. And the best he could hope for was a quick death in battle, rather than a sacrifice to lloth.
At age 20 that's exactly what his house matriarch wanted to sacrifice him . As they were about to wage war on a moon elf city . His house figured that the best way to gain favor of lloth was to sacrifice the best they had. But they had him trains Deamon ( named such cause he fights like one) to well. And when they came to kill him he took the sacrifice dagger from the matriarch,s hand and killed her with it. He then killed everyone else of his house. In a fierce battle, which.the dagger was not made for. So somewhere along the way it broke. But he stopped by the armory for surface armor and weapons. Once he killed everyone he set the house on fire and tossed his insignia in. So as to give the impression that he was killed with the rest by a rival house.
It took him 2 years to make his way to the surface alone. And 2 more to get used to the light. Now he travels as a sellsword/ mercenary. He hated the drow life but has as yet to learn surface life well. He is mostly cold. shelf concerned killing machine. Who wants a better life a is slowly learning. As no one is actually teaching him that killing for killing sake isn't good. It seems he is expected to know this.... And if ever his racial heritage is discovered( by forgetting a glove, or slip of his hood) he is chased and hunted. So far the surface hasn't been any better in his 6 years here than drow life was in the underdark.
Deamon has no home friends or family. And is always traveling.

Goal: To learn how to be better than his kin. And to make a name for himself so he isn't hated everywhere.

5 people. hmmm Well there's his dead family that's way more than 5. Hate him easy his dead family... and any drow Most people that know what a drow is.

1 friendly hasn't met a friendly yet....

[/fieldset]

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Apr 12th, 2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1081
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
COMPLETE
(but I might tweak a few more things)
Jaquin Almauld
Name: Jaquin Almauld

Race: Human (Beroulon)

Class: Paladin - Oath of Conquest (XGtE)

Description: Jaquin is in great physical condition, a testament to his many years spent as a drake-rider. He stands nearly six feet tall, with broad shoulders and well-toned arms. His strength is only matched by his wit and cunning. He has a chisled handsomeness, though his grim eyes and stern set of jaw often turn women away.

Jaquin is often seen in his burnished mail armor, with the blue & gold tabard bearing his rank and insignia, sporting gauntlets emblazoned with his personal holy symbol. When not in armor, Jaquin prefers comfortable, practical attire unbecoming of the expectations of his position.

Personality: Jaquin has internalized the teachings of the Orthodoxy, moulding them into his own personal set of beliefs. Raised on the stories of conquest and victory, Jaquin believes the Maker has placed his creations on Jrd as a test; a trial against adversity in order to gain a seat at the Great Table in the afterlife. He views others as either competition or companions in this struggle. This gives off the impression of a somber, serious man, with little room for mirth or enjoyment. Nevertheless, he exudes the confidence of a leader, and others often find themselves carrying out his wishes before they realize it.

Description: Jaquin took his conscription into the Beroulon military enthusiastically. From the time he was a young boy, he wanted to be a dragon rider. He would watch them soar high over his village, and imagined the exhilaration of what it must be like to look down upon the world. How much closer could one get to seeing what the Maker sees as He travels across the sky? As soon as his sixteenth winter had passed, Jaquin did not wait for the conscription officer to collect him; he sought out the local garrison with zeal.

But the military was not entirely like the stories. There were no more wars to fight, and no battle-glory to be gained. Instead, there were roads to build, and roads to guard. Most of the time was spent standing in one place, just hoping for action. The most action came at shift change, when a soldier can finally run to the loo and take a piss. But Jaquin persevered. However mundane and trivial the task, he tackled it with pride, always giving his best effort. His dedication was rewarded when he was promoted to Lance Corporal, and began his mounted training on a A cold drake is a wingless, non-fire-breathing lizard, slightly larger than a warhorse. This is a working name and can change.cold drake.

Believing this to be his first steps toward actually being able to ride upon a flying lizard, Jaquin doubled his effort, going above and beyond what his duties required. Once again, this earned him recognition, but not in the way he had hoped. Instead of being promoted to an airborn division, he was seen as indispensible to the The Lance Frode, or "Cold Lances," is the name given to a mounted division of the Beroulon military. Mounted exclusively on cold drakes, the Lances serve as shock cavalry, striking the enemy hard and fast... or at least that's what they train for. There hasn't been a conflict large enough to mobilize them in many years.Lance Frode. His own pursuit to escape his position has only cemented him further into it.

Over the years, Jaquin had come to accept his fate. Through the teachings of the Maker, he has learned to overcome any resentment he had previously felt, redirecting it into anything he perceives as a foe. Though he has reinterpreted the teachings to serve his own endeavors, the tangible results of his faith are all the validation he needs to confirm that he is on the right path. Professionally, Jaquin has climbed through the ranks of the Lance Frode, now serving as elite honor guard for high ranking military or political ambassadors. Duty has led him north, to the Eastmark, as entourage and security for a diplomatic envoy.

Background Archetype: Soldier (cavalry)
Personality Traits x2: "I have won the annual jousting tournament twice consecutively, an honor held by only four others." ; "I have completed the illuminations required of Talhaernite priests without the guidance of the Synod." (Custom)
Ideal: "Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well." (Acolyte)
Bond: "The Maker has presented all of us with a challenge, and I have never backed down from a challenge before." (Custom)
Flaw: "I view everything as a competition, even people." (Custom)

Contacts:
1). Alberot (closest friend): Jaquin and Alberot met when Jaquin was first promoted to the Lances. Alberot never had quite the drive that Jaquin did, and remained relatively low rank, though this never bothered him. Often smiling and joking, he seems a polar opposite to Jaquin, though he is one of the few who can break through the paladin's tough exterior. The two have remained close friends for more than a decade, and Jaquin would often call in favors to keep Alberot stationed closeby.
2). Captain Beufon (ally by duty, not choice): Jaquin's immediate supervisor and commander of the Lance Frode, Captain Beufon has a reputation as a strict, no-nonsense officer, but he has soft heart for those who confide in him. He runs the Lances with ruthless efficiency, knowing that sometimes breaking protocol is necessary to keep morale high. To Beufon, maintaining a peak fighting force is paramount. He can be bent, but never broken. Small allowances can be made, but any dereliction of duty is met with severe punishment.
3). Trisel (childhood sweetheart): The last time he saw her, Trisel had blue ribbons in her soft amber hair, perfectly complimenting the floral pattern on her blouse. Her plain, beige skirt was pleated and threadbare at the hem. Thin eyes, tight with indignation, peered over her small, up-turned nose as she watched a young Jaquin amble down the road. The two had known each other nearly since birth, and had all but been promised to each other. Since leaving the village to join the military, Jaquin has not been back, duty and ambition keeping him away. Still, to this day, the sight of blue ribbons evokes thoughts of a life that may have been.
4). Saul & Monique Almauld: Jaquin's parents were simple folk; father was a shoemaker and mother a seamstress. They ran a small shop out of the front of the house, and were well-liked by the community. Jaquin had little relationship with his parents; they were always busy with the shop, and he was always running off into the hills pretending to be a dragon-rider. It's been 15 years since he's seen them, nearly half his entire life.
5). Rauolet (jealous rival): Rauolet is a young firebrand, as ambitious as Jaquin had been when he was that age. Like Jaquin, Rauolet moved up through the ranks of the Lances fairly quickly. Their rivalry began two years ago at the jousting tournament, when Jaquin unseated Rauolet in the final, fracturing his ribs in the process.

Writing Sample:

Questions

Last edited by Effete; May 6th, 2022 at 02:31 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 458
MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack MercurialJack
Question, which might be useful for others thinking of applying - what pantheon are you using in Jord? As it's homebrew I don't want to assume any of the standard.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Dwarven Master-at-Arms

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4960
Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea
Withdrawn

While the game looks really exciting, I am unfortunately feeling the drive to fully flesh out this character so I will go ahead and withdraw my application. Good luck everyone!

Descent into Avernus

Last edited by Anea; Apr 26th, 2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQbitor View Post
Interested in playing a Trollkin. Is Critical Roll's Blood Hunter class available?
Sure. We can work the concept into this world in one way or another. As part of your background I'd love to hear any ideas you might have as to what a monster slaying order might look like in this setting. Is it a Trollkin thing? Or was your Trollkin recruited into something run by humans, and, if so, how does that affect his relationship to his kith and kin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurialJack View Post
Question, which might be useful for others thinking of applying - what pantheon are you using in Jord? As it's homebrew I don't want to assume any of the standard.
You can read a segment about religion in Jrd here. In short, there is but one god. The Divine Maker. They created this world and everything in it. They also created some other stuff that was a bit too... perfect. Those are called the First Creations, and they were never intended to exist on Jrd in the first place, but one of their number tricked the Maker and lured them down here. It is from their loins a lot of the monsters that roam the world originate. And they are the reason the Watchers came here as well, as a sort of counter-measure.

Everyone has faith (or not) in the Maker. But there are as many churches, temples or gospels of that faith as there are stars in the sky, so there's plenty of room for some good ol' fashion theological dispute if that's your poison. In Caldaria the main faith is called simply the Church of Caldaria, while Soln, to take another example, has the Imperial Following.

If you are planning on playing a religious character, feel free to make up your own branch of Talhaernite faith with its own particular doctrine, or a subdivision of some already existing doctrine, and lo and behold there'll be another star on that dotted sky

Last edited by Thorsten; Apr 12th, 2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1081
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Is there any type of map to accompany the continent lore?
I'm more of a visual learner, so maps are extremely helpful to me. If there isn't one, that's fine... I'll just have to read everything two or three times.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 04:28 PM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effete View Post
Is there any type of map to accompany the continent lore?
I'm more of a visual learner, so maps are extremely helpful to me. If there isn't one, that's fine... I'll just have to read everything two or three times.
Not at the moment, no.

For my tabletop game, we made a map of Eastmark out of 3d-printed hex tiles (the players each took turns placing a tile until the entire province was fleshed out) that I am mounting on the wall, and I am contemplating how I can best transfer that into something visual for the boards here, but I am not in the homestretch there quite yet.

If I can figure out a solution to that, then yes, there will be. At least for Eastmark.