Other Cavern of the Chimera (Whitehack 3e) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 15th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6010
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Cavern of the Chimera (Whitehack 3e)

Cavern of the Chimera

Game System

Flavor
Bronze-age sandalpunk, There’s no absolute good or absolute evil. Heroes are heroic in the ancient Greek sense - they do incredible things, but are not necessarily role models. However, the world is wide and bright, full of wonder, and lacking grit.”grimbright”, questing, player-assisted worldbuilding, OSR ruleset… so potentially deadly combat, when it comes up.

Theme
Monster-hunting One-Shot, with potential to lead to further adventures.

Setting
IntroductionThe setting for this campaign is something I've fiddled with on and off for the past few years... that I've never nailed down a strong name for... and have only run one adventure in (this one-shot, in a live 5e game). I've described it in the past as "grimbright sandalpunk"... which I understand is a crazy thing to say... but basically means to me that the world is stuck in its ways and there's no strong sense of capital-G "Good" and capital-E "Evil", but that doesn't mean the world is dark. It's full of life and brightness... magic and wonder. It started as a Greek-inspired setting, but expanded to blend in other ancient civilizations, philosophies, and mythologies. I've compiled the biggest details of this world below.

I can answer more questions about the setting as needed, and I'm very open to worldbuilding on your end as well!

Seven Truths of the World:
  • There is only one world, and it is a two-sided disc. Your side is the world of the living, and the other side is the world of spirits - both good and evil. At the edges of the disc are waterfalls that meet in the center. Mythic locations are traveled to physically, not through planar travel.
  • The gods walk the world, and are capricious as any mortal. They live on Mount Asterid, a mountain whose peak is as tall as the sky and touches the stars. No matter where you are in the world, you can always see Mount Asterid on the horizon, and its nimbus of cosmic matter.
  • The gods in the world are the twelve signs of the zodiac of Western astrology. Each of them has a part to play in the world. There are two more “forbidden” gods, who are worshiped by secretive cults. Demigods that owe their existence to the gods are plentiful. The gods are not popular with everyone, especially philosophers who study and discuss the world around them.
  • All dead creatures rise as zombies within three days of their death unless they are submerged in running water, or the water of the sea. They are not naturally evil beings, but can become aggressive if not allowed to find peace. They can only find peace if led to the ocean, where the twins of Pisces carry them off to the Necropolis to be judged. Animals will naturally crawl into rivers, and in most places, it’s tradition to send the dead downriver, as all rivers eventually find the Cosmic Sea. To avoid death through necromancy breaks the natural order, and is considered a cardinal sin. If a corpse rises and can’t find water, the soul festers, and they will grow more and more dangerous.
  • Magic can come from many places. Some gain power from the stars, and others borrow from the gods. A strong philosophical understanding of the world can manifest as magic. Lusterstone is a magic-rich ore that can be mineral that can be processed into luster - a magic dust that can be used by experienced artisans to make an item with inherent magical properties.
  • Hubris is heavily punished. The gods do not entertain those who are too proud. Those that would use necromancy to unnaturally stave off death, challenge the hegemony of the gods, or boast too proudly are met with curses. For example, the mazed land of Tav is considered to be the most accursed place, met with total ruination after an ancient minotaur king challenged the might of Leo.
  • Minotaurs are the primary race of the world. Long ago, Tav was the greatest empire in the world. Ruled by minotaurs, they influenced every other culture around them. Even after their ruination, the reverberations of their empire persist. Bull motifs are common in depictions of strength or military power, and used often as decoration for armor. After the cursing of Tav, the following diaspora took them all over the known world. They share the world with adaptable humans, stoic centaurs, revelrous satyrs, joyous gnolls, the mosaic-wearing clay golems called Prometheans, and others.

Plot Summary

The acropolis of Kleos is a shining beacon of civilization in the vast plains and farmlands north of Mount Asteria, home of the gods. The city is known for its strong military who protect the land from invaders and monsters of all sorts. Because of that mercenaries and adventurers find little of their dirty work here - the polis’s hoplites do the work without expectation of a bounty, as part of their service.

However, with the latest threat, they’ve proven useless.

A mighty chimera has begun to feed on the livestock across the farmland, plucking cows and sheep from the pastures daily. When the farmers pled with the king to deal with this monster, the priests of the city stepped in the way. Theos’s symbolic crest is the chimera, and the cities patron deities are Leo (god of protection and order) and Aries (god of fortune and honor). The high priest sees the presence of a chimera has a good omen and says “a few animals are a cheap offering for divine protection”.

The farmers, unconvinced, come to you for help. They’ve pooled some money together, along with family heirlooms, begging travelers to confront and hunt the beast before they’re left completely destitute.

What is Whitehack?Whitehack an Old School Revival game system I found on DriveThruRPG, made by Christian Mehrstam. The idea is that it retains the feeling of OD&D, in terms of player skill (your good judgment in a fantasy scenario) being more important than character skill (reading off abilities and rolling dice).

It differs from that game in a big way, though, by adding in rules that help you, the player - directly inject your creativity into your character, and give it form with three relatively-simple classes.

I think it’s pretty neat.

It’s worth noting that I’ve never seen this system played around the site, and couldn’t find much reference to it being played via PbP elsewhere. This is also my first time GMing for this game, so it’ll be an experiment for sure, for both you and I. I don’t expect anyone to come being an expert at the game (but if you are, great!), and do expect there to be a learning curve.

All that said, this game doesn’t seem terribly complicated to me, and I feel it’ll transition to PbP fairly well!

Application InformationI'm looking for 3-5 players for this game, where I'm hoping to keep a pace of ~3 posts per week, with the caveat that I'd like to keep the length of posts short. A character sheet is not required to play, don't roll dice in this thread. We'll worry about the rules of the game more once we're in it.

Character Name:
Gender Identity:
Detailed Character Concept: Your character’s concept is pretty important here. Rather than overwhelm you with game concepts and rules, I’d ask for some details on the kind of character you’d want to play. What species are they? What’s their vocation? Do they belong to any particular groups? Do they have special skills? If they use magic, what kind is it? Do they have a particular spell they like to use like “Summon Dire Animal”, or something more general like “Pyromancy”? If/when you’re accepted to the game, we’ll work out a way to represent these raw ideas in the game rules.

The deadline for applications is at the end of the day, April 30th.

Last edited by Inuvash255; Apr 25th, 2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 02:05 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
[Placeholder]
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 07:37 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41174
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Grimbright sandalpunk is a wonderful way to have fun with the "Flavor" aspect of the Game Request/Advertisement parts of establishing a game.

Any chance you could provide a link to the rules as per drivethrurpg? I believe you're correct in that there's no previous Whitehack games on site.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 07:57 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Absolutely! Right here!

I'll also add it to the main post.

I'm never quite sure about linking to outside storefronts. So thanks for letting me know I can for this one. :>
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 08:05 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41174
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Drivethrurpg is fair because they are established as selling PDFs and books for fair and legal purchases.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Bane of 1st Lv Wizards

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2353
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Ancient Greek setting and ambiguous morals for a brighter setting? This seems right up my alley. I'll give the rules a look when I can, and will apply as such.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:47 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the interest, Seeks! ^ -^
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Aesthetic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21374
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Inuvash is an amazing player -and I am pretty sure an equally amazing Game Master- so applying to the game is certainly the right move for all those who are considering it. Had I not been starting my own game (as a DM) this weekend I would surely have applied, but I doubt I would be able to post regularly as things are.

Good luck, Inuvash! I know you will get some amazing applications even though the gaming system is not all that familiar. After all, the world you have designed sounds incredible!

Running Dragons of a Broken World: An Age of Mortals 5e DnD campaign
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 08:52 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the glowing recommendation, Elanir!
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 01:26 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 775
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Hi! I’m interested in this and will come up with a character proposal. I’m thinking maybe a witch/healer to support the main fighters of the team with magic tricks.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 03:02 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 185
Megasonic Megasonic
I am still quite new to PbP but this looks a very interesting concept. I previously had a character that was a dwarf raised by elves could that be the sort of character that could fit in?
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 03:31 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1081
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Looks really fun, but I think my gaming roster might be full at the moment.
I'll check out the system and may place an app in case other things fall through...

Also, do you have an approximate deadline for applications?

Last edited by Effete; Apr 18th, 2022 at 03:44 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Mitsubachi: I like the sounds of them! Thanks for the interest!

@Megasonic: Welcome! For this game, I was hoping to steer away from the more Tolkein-esque fantasy you see in D&D in favor of creatures from Greek/Roman mythology and the mythologies of their neighboring lands. What were you looking to explore with that concept? Maybe we can work something out that has a similar theme.

@Effete: Thanks for the interest! I haven't decided on a deadline just yet. I'll post it up when I do! ^ -^
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Black Lives Matter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4881
slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick
Indie ruleset emphasizing collaboration, Greco-Roman inspired discworld, no Tolkeinesque races...this looks incrediblel! If you're a minotaur fan, I have to ask if you've checked out The Clay That Woke?

Consider me interested if I can I sort out my schedule before you close up shop. Not often you get the chance to play a centaur! (Or a gorgon, or a satyr, or a harpy...)
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
It's the first I've heard of it! Seems pretty neat!

Thanks for the interest, slapstick!

I hadn't considered gorgons or harpies, but they're totally viable here!