RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 8th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8279
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Hi briar! Fancy seeing you here!

Noticed Krow starting up another fun concept, so I figured I should throw my hat in. I will also be shamelessly stealing your template, since you kindly offered. Thank you for your formatting artistry!

Haven't worked out all my character details yet but.... I've always had a soft spot for good ol' fashioned black mages. Might play a Lalafell Black Mage.
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
@Runetide: I'm glad I skimmed your app before fleshing mine out. I was also planning on doing a wheelchair-bound individual. I'll think of sonething else!

Though a note on sensitivity, you might want to avoid the word "cripple." Something like "the sorrow of his disability" is a bit more politically correct. The idea is that the person [I]has[\I] a disability, but it doesn't define them.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:38 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8816
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
@Runetide: I'm glad I skimmed your app before fleshing mine out. I was also planning on doing a wheelchair-bound individual. I'll think of sonething else!

Though a note on sensitivity, you might want to avoid the word "cripple." Something like "the sorrow of his disability" is a bit more politically correct. The idea is that the person [I]has[\I] a disability, but it doesn't define them.
I'll look at it. I wrote the app over like 6 hours so not everything was worded coherently.
Old May 8th, 2022, 09:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3006
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide
@Rylus: Hey there fellow wheelchair person. I think we're both drawing from a similar inspiration, which is kind of the equivalent of showing up to a party in the same outfit. If that's a problem, I can rework my backstory.
Naw, it fine. Play what you feel like playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
@Rylus, just a small design suggestion, but I think your pics might fit the screen a bit better if you clipped them down to about 600-700px in height and about 300-400px wide each. Tall and thin works the best for this particular template.
Im not sure how to do that, i dont know how to do a lot of the technical stuff.
Old May 8th, 2022, 09:26 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylus View Post
Naw, it fine. Play what you feel like playing

Im not sure how to do that, i dont know how to do a lot of the technical stuff.
Okay cool.

As for the image thing, you have to change the size of the image where you uploaded it. So like if you put it up on imgr, you can edit the image to change the size and then use the new image's address for the adjusted picture. You can't change the dimensions of the images in the forum.

Though, that is the #1 request I have if they ever make upgrades.
Old May 8th, 2022, 11:58 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
You can actually set the size using an argumat on the tag, though you have to manually maintain the aspect ratio.

https://www.bbcode.org/posting-images-with-bbcode.php

EDIT: Also, sorry if I came of as preachy in my previous post. I used to work on a project called the vulneable persons registry, which involved some sensivity training.

Last edited by DAquilina; May 9th, 2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
You can actually set the size using an argumat on the tag, though you have to manually maintain the aspect ratio.

https://www.bbcode.org/posting-images-with-bbcode.php

EDIT: Also, sorry if I came of as preachy in my previous post. I used to work on a project called the vulneable persons registry, which involved some sensivity training.
Hey thanks for the formatting info!

And it's not a concern. I know that it could have come off as insensitive. When I was writing for him I had used the word specifically because, in his mind and life, it hadn't been very long since it happened. Maybe a few months at most. He has been kind of left to his own devices and considering how active he used to be, he doesn't look at himself as a person with just a disability; he feels actually useless.

But, I also failed to recognize the way I portrayed it might make others uncomfortable, so thank you for being so kind as to point it out for me.
Old May 9th, 2022, 02:00 AM
The Buddha Himself

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2402
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Hey, person who actually works in special needs/handicap care here.

Crippled can be used, but not used to identify a person. A person being crippled is ok. A person IS a cripple, is not ok. One of my clients is a wheelchair client, so yeah, I got experience with that. Yal are fine, just know context and use of words truly matters.

Check out my podcast with my VA buddies; Rejected Party Members
Old May 9th, 2022, 02:12 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
Hey, person who actually works in special needs/handicap care here.

Crippled can be used, but not used to identify a person. A person being crippled is ok. A person IS a cripple, is not ok. One of my clients is a wheelchair client, so yeah, I got experience with that. Yal are fine, just know context and use of words truly matters.
Understood. I am pretty sure I was using that he was crippled (as in the thing happening to him), not that was what he was. All in all, appreciated though. Hard to adjust your way of thinking if it's not called out.

Last edited by Runetide; May 9th, 2022 at 02:15 AM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5147
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
@DAquilina: Mm, I don't think that works on this site's version of BBC code. Anything written after the = sign in an IMG tag here is considered a caption, so if I try to put img=100x50, it just comes out as the normal image with the caption "100x50" beneath the image. And if I try to use CSS or meta tags, it just breaks the tag, as follows:

[img width="400" height="50"]https://www.rpgcrossing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95709&d=1651948574[/img]

You can do stuff like this in the table codes, which is generally how I get my stuff to format the way it does, but it doesn't work in images:

So yeah, unfortunately I don't think that particular code work here, so we're left with resizing/cropping the image manually and then re-uploading it.

Interestingly enough, there's actually quite a few distinct differences in bbc codes even just between this site and other RPG forums I've been on. IMGR and IMGL, for instance, which allow you to float images right or left respectively, is used here, whereas on another site I was on, that code didn't work, and you had to use [floatright] or [floatleft] tags instead. Meanwhile this site's table codes are much much more malleable, especially with the ability to use colsp and CSS. Its weird.

@Rylus: Here, give these a shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raitoningu Mūn.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	95731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian Shaw (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	95732  

Last edited by briar; May 9th, 2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
@DAquilina: Mm, I don't think that works on this site's version of BBC code. Anything written after the = sign in an IMG tag here is considered a caption, so if I try to put img=100x50, it just comes out as the normal image with the caption "100x50" beneath the image. And if I try to use CSS or meta tags, it just breaks the tag, as follows:

[img width="400" height="50"]https://www.rpgcrossing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95709&d=1651948574[/img]

You can do stuff like this in the table codes, which is generally how I get my stuff to format the way it does, but it doesn't work in images:

So yeah, unfortunately I don't think that particular code work here, so we're left with resizing/cropping the image manually and then re-uploading it.
I think you're right, though I'm a bit surprised they would not implement the standard options. I found a list of all of the supported tags in the help section:

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/misc.php?do=bbcode
Old May 9th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5147
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Per the link you mentioned previously, at the bottom of the page: "Remember that bbcode tags are implemented to varying degrees and that with many variations. None of this represents strict standards."

I'm sure the admins who set things up this way had good reason to do so
Old May 10th, 2022, 11:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3006
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Quote:
@Rylus: Here, give these a shot
Those work great, thank you.
Old May 12th, 2022, 01:09 PM
The Buddha Himself

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2402
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Who Else Is Signing Up?

Check out my podcast with my VA buddies; Rejected Party Members
Old May 12th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
I will flesh out my application tonight, promise! Sorry I've been dragging my feet a bit on that. On the plus side, I have a really solid character progression planned out.

Last edited by DAquilina; May 12th, 2022 at 01:50 PM.