RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 14th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Cybergothic Celestial

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16035
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Where Adventure Begins

Game NameWhere Adventure Begins
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeBeginner D&D, back to basics
FlavourSerious tone but not Grim Dark, semi-sandbox, may lead to ongoing campaign
Game Summary
Nuts and Bolts
Where Adventure Begins will be a stripped-down version of D&D 5th edition appropriate for new players or those who want a more simple game. While I never played "old school" D&D - having started with 4th edition - that wouldn't be an unfair comparison. So, let's start with the meta-information about the game and get into the 'fluff' in a bit.

Source books allowed: Only the Player Handbook for races and classes, spells, etc.

Custom backgrounds: Yes, pending DM approval.

Intended posting rate: 2 to 3 times per week.

Note about my availability: I won't be posting on Fridays; that's Social Life day.

Number of players: 6 (knowing that some people will ghost)

Character level: 2nd

Determining ability scores: Point-buy to 27 points.

Starting money: Characters start with the money and gear according to their class and background, and an extra 100 gold pieces, to reflect the loot gained when your character adventured from 1st to 2nd level.

Alignments: Non-evil. No Chaotic Neutral characters please.

Feats: No*

Multiclassing: No

Human variant: Yes. *Character creation of a Variant Human is the only time somebody may take a Feat.

Pantheon: Use the Dawn War Deities out of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 10.

Flanking: Yes, advantage is gained by flanking.

Inspiration: Yes. I want to award behavior other than just killing monsters and completing quests. Specifically, interacting meaningfully with other player characters, NPCs, and the setting.

Hitting cover: Yes. If you miss by the margin of the AC bonus provided by the cover, then you hit the cover and can affect it accordingly.

Passive check: Yes. I intend to make use of "passive skill scores" for routine checks.

Identify spell required: Yes. To determine the exact properties and command words, etc. of a magic item, you need to cast Identify. Otherwise, you can gain a vague knowledge of what the item does with an Arcana check.

Dice rolling: I will be making some of the rolls in secret, including checks for players that you wouldn't know the results of - like stealth and perception checks, for example. The feedback to how well you're doing at your attempt will be revealed by the information you receive in return. If a Goblin scout stops and says, "what's that noise?" to their allies, then you probably failed your stealth check.

Distances: I plan on making simple maps but not having a grid on them to mark specific distances. Are you within 120 feet to cast your spell? You'll have to estimate, or maybe move closer to make sure. I'll include rough distances in my narrations but you don't have time to use surveyor's tools to know exacting measurements.

The Hook
Your band of adventurers arrives at a crossroads of 2 major trade routes. Immediately, you start hearing rumors of the death of the Brass Dragon, Bronilliax. A benevolent creature, the dragon was known for coming to the aid of travelers in duress and working with local authorities to keep the peace. Desert nomads discovered his rotting corpse 3 days ago and already speculation is rampant. What evil will rise in its absence? What harm might befall the town or travelers in the region?

And more importantly: What about its lair? For a dragon so accomplished and venerable, it must have a lair nearby that is probably full of treasure, magic, and lore. Who will be the first to find it and take possession of all that Bronilliax had acquired? Will it be lost to the desert? Will it fall into the hands of evil beings? Or will good-hearted adventurers find it first?

Applications
Application deadline: May 31, 2022

Your applications should include the following:

Name
Race
Sex and gender
Alignment
Basic concept (in a single sentence)
Background (mechanical, as in: Soldier, Outlander, Acolyte, etc.)
Class
Your characters' goals
Your characters' story (thus far. Please, no more than 2 paragraphs. I have a reading disability.)
Character sheet (or a link to it)

Note: Your characters will know each other at the beginning of the game and be a group of adventurers that work together and have a reason to stay together. We will do some "session zero" work around this notion, once players are selected.

Additional notes
Roleplay! That's the name of the game, after all. Yes, there will be combat, exploration, investigation, social interactions, etc. and the mechanics to support it. But I expect players to roleplay first. Rules and mechanics come second.

Ongoing adventure? After our initial adventures and if it goes well, I may continue this game as an ongoing campaign or at least with further adventures. We'll see how it goes.

The nature of Evil. Evil creatures act evil and do nasty, self-serving things. That does not mean that everything you encounter must be fought and killed. Defeating or circumventing an encounter is worthy of XP rewards. How you handle a situation is up to the players and informs the story. You are free to act as you see fit, short of destroying the game or ruining it for other players. You are heroes, not the evil that plagues the world. Please play cooperatively. You can argue and disagree but keep it civil.

Last edited by girlplay; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
Old May 14th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1793
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Morain Silvreya
Race: Variant human
Class: Paladin (Ancients)
Background:
Alignment: Lawful good
Basic concept: A happ hazard blade struggling with insecurities

Character goals: Develop her martial skills. Prove to herself she’s as good as she needs to be, or better. Overcome the turmoil and personal destruction that lives in the subconscious.

Characters story: Raised behind the walls of an academy filled with spell swords, knights and blades of all varieties. Morain was a semi gifted, suboptimal fighter with lacklustre skills and a fairly decent work ethic.

Entering adult hood she has taken on the mantle of body guard, mercenary and adventurer. With her blade; Eclipse, she does her best to uphold justice and make a name for herself while combating her klutzy tendencies.

Last edited by Jrod; May 14th, 2022 at 11:12 PM.
Old May 14th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Lokenon

Race: Human (Variant)

Sex/Gender: Male

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Basic Concept: Gladiator of some modest success turned adventurer.

Background: Gladiator

Class: Fighter

Goals: Has found work as a Gladiator for a few years but now seeks a different challenge and better rewards for himself

Story thus far: Lokenon was a third step-son to a foreign noble, and as such would have a comfortable but bland life. He was talented, with athletic prowess and weapons skills and decided to carve out his own destiny abroad. His father disagreed and so he left against the family wishes. Lokenon carries several unposted letters to his father and although he could return, does not plan to.

He began to earn a living as a Gladiator, honing his combat and performance skills over the last five years. Seeking a change and the excitement he left home to find, he has take up with fellow adventurers looking for honour and glory.

Character Sheet: to follow

Last edited by Talissen70; Today at 08:29 AM.
Old May 14th, 2022, 10:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Thia
Race: High Elf
Class: Rogue
Background: Charlatan or Criminal
Basic concept: Impulsive but talented thief with a heart of gold.
Characters' Goals: Adventure and excitement mostly but she would like to make her name by making one 'impossible' score.
Story: A true rogues rogue Thia has eagerly stolen from and swindled many, though her own conscience means she only targets the underserving - a corrupt merchant might find their coffers emptied while an honest merchant will merely find her a wily haggler. She loathes tyrants and delights in tweaking their noses.

Thia wasn't originally a woman. She was male until a couple of years ago while looting a wizard's tomb she unwisely tried on an ornate magical girdle. She's adapted well - Elves tend to be much more genderfluid than human cultures - and likes her new life (she'll give being female a century or so) but it has caused some awkward encounters with old enemies and friends (and girlfriends.)

Last edited by RossN; Yesterday at 06:11 AM.
Old May 14th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1722
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
I have only limited knowledge of 5e but am interested. One of my other games is winding down so I should have some time opening up. Am curious though since I'm partial to playing clerics what pantheon is available to serve?

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2718
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
I'll submit a ch soon.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 112
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
ApplicationName: Stoic Glacius.
Race: Tiefling
Sex and Gender: Cis-Male
Alignment: Lawful Good
Basic Concept: Bound to a demon, and struggling against his demonic master and nature.
Background: Hermit
Class:Warlock - The Fiend (Eventually Pact of the Tome)
Character Goals: To defeat the evil within himself and the evil he knows is coming to the land; Perhaps one day to free himself of his demonic master and his own demonic legacy.
Story so far: W.I.P.

Last edited by ProjectLazarus; Yesterday at 01:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2718
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
app
right-aligned image

Name: Demmuk
Race: Dragonborn
Sex and gender: male
Alignment: Cg.
Basic concept (in a single sentence) Travling Samurai warrior looking for alot of things.
Background: soldier/ rank officer
Class: Samurai( Fighter)
Your characters' goals: To find information. To find friends. To someday restart this lost clan.
Your characters' story: Village dead. Family gone. Searching for the one that did it. Traveling while being chased and hunted as a monster in lands that don't know dragon born. Recently recruited to clear a mages tower. He successfully did. This opened the door for him to meet other adventurers.
Character sheet (or a link to it):
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=88463

Sorry if of put more here but you said you don't like to read.

Note: Your characters will know each other at the beginning of the game and be a group of adventurers that work together and have a reason to stay together. We will do some "session zero" work around this notion, once players are selected.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Yesterday at 03:34 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM
Cybergothic Celestial

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16035
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
I have only limited knowledge of 5e but am interested. One of my other games is winding down so I should have some time opening up. Am curious though since I'm partial to playing clerics what pantheon is available to serve?
Excellent question and thanks for asking it. We'll be using the Dawn War Gods, as listed in the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 10. What I like about them is that they're fairly undefined, so players and the DM can work out some of the details of how they're worshipped and what service means to a cleric or paladin (or just somebody who revers them).
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2351
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Hmm, interesting, this shall be my placeholder for now.

Character App
right-aligned image

Name: Haal Brasswood
Race: Half-elf
Sex and gender: Cis-M
Basic concept: A well-to-do citizen that has unexpectedly found out to be quite exceptional in the roguish skills set, particularly the disguise kind.
Background: Folk Hero
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Your characters' goals: Just Wants to seek a paying job
Your characters' story: Haal had a pretty simply and well-off life. He had a job as a carriage driver to a wealthy nobleman, had a pretty stable home, and his relationship status was, well it's not that important. All that is important is that he lived a pretty humble and peaceful life. That is until he butted in to a conflict of sorts.

A Duke in league with some far off tyrant made some advances to the lady in the house and Haal, the idiot he was decided to intervene. The next moment his carriage was crash, along with the Duke and he was wanted for murder by the visiting Tyrannical ruler. However, he managed to safely bring the lady of the house back to her home thanks to some unexpected and natural rogue skills. Seeing as he was a wanted man among his kingdom, he decided to go on the ran and find a new paying job. But he had trouble finding a new carriage job, so he became an aspiring roguish adventurer all the while hiding from agents of a tyrannical ruler.
Character sheet:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=90891

Last edited by Onward; Yesterday at 09:25 AM.
Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 112
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
Quote:
Human variant: Yes. *Character creation of a Variant Human is the only time somebody may take a Feat.
Just clarifying, you mean that taking feats will NOT be an option at level up -- only ability score upgrade?
Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Pretty sure she meant you can only take a feat by variant human only.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1584
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
introduction
left-aligned image
Larrisa Moonglade (Mood Music)
Race: Human (Magic initiate druidVariant)
Sex/Gender: Chaste Female
Class: Cleric (Life)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Acolyte
Larissa hails from Silverymoon. A priestess of Selune and Lurue.

Personality Trait:
Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Personality Trait:
I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
Ideal:
Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond:
A unicorn comes to me in my dreams guiding my destiny.
Flaw:
My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust others

backgroundBackground:
Larissa grew up in a humble family of moderate means. She and her younger brothers helped to raise the sheep and tend to the land like many in her village. However it was obvious Larissa was meant for something greater.

Larissa was visited in her dreams by a celestial unicorn. So vivid and detailed where these dreams that she headed to nearby Silverymoon and the temple of Selune to learn more. Through prayer and teaching she learned that her dreams were a blessing and that the unicorn was an aspect of Lurue guiding her destiny. Following her divine guide she was drawn to Morain for reasons yet undiscovered.

Character Goals: It is Larissa's destiny to spread the faith. To do good deeds, help others and be a beacon of hope.

Last edited by JohnStone; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
And I'm done with my app
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
@girlplay sorry if i missed it but how do you want us to generate stats?