Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 05:24 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10849
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I’ll be seeing that hopefully next week.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 06:06 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21007
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Ugh, being both a veteran and history buff I couldn't watch Fury. I think I've seen it all but only by watching it in pieces, I just can't watch it all in one sitting. Just the assumptions of it are too out there for me. I mean, by that phase of the war the US was so much stronger than the Wehrmacht that is was ludicrous. There would have been a whole battalion of US tanks supported by infantry at a key place like that. Furthermore, our aircraft flew unhindered in the air since there effectively wasn't a Luftwaffe any longer. That is all too much for my little head to wrap around. Add to that the interactions between the men and...nope, I'm done.

There are a few pretty good WW2 movies to watch. Monuments Men is pretty good. Of course it's thoroughly Hollywoodized, but it is generally accurate and some of the acting is top notch. The way the men treat each other seems more realistic to me. Saving Private Ryan of course is great. The opening scene is one of the most realistic depictions of war I have seen. What's more, when I watched it with my dad, who was a Marine in WW2, he sat white knuckled as he watched it and started sweating...it was that realistic to him. Finally, Flags of Our Father and Letters From Iwo Jima are both awesome movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylorne View Post
Fury was a good one too. I’ve heard Shia LaBeouf was a real treat to work with on that one.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 07:31 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
You may like Cross of Iron, a war/anti war film told from the German perspective. It has several of my favourite actors in it, including but not limited to, Maximilian Schell, James Coburn, James Mason, and David Warner.

Also, even though I’m not from America, thank you for your service.

Last edited by Acathala; Jul 10th, 2024 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 08:57 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21007
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Oh, yes, I do like Cross of Iron. here are few character I despise as much as that captain, whatever his name is.

Last edited by Ildrahil; Jul 10th, 2024 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 09:56 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
Played by the wonderful Maximilian Schell. He really deserved to have been a bigger star than he was. His turn as a cardinal in James Carpenter’s Vampires was a good small but important role.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 12:05 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6478
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
As a movie fury was good. , and I agree saving private Ryan is one of my favorites. But back to movies just to be movies dirty dozen was good. Tuskegee was good. Retails was good.

Not really a movie but I liked band of brothers.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 12:09 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Incase you haven't noticed some of the mentioned movies I haven't seen, some I haven't herd of. Which is bad with my collection.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 09:59 AM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17261
Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne Raylorne
Time to expand your collection then it seems.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 03:37 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
For those Brits curious if my review of Lost City holds water, it’s repeated on Saturday.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 07:20 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29661
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I had the same problem with Fury. By war's end, it was all one huge traffic jam of the Allied armies going into Germany. They would have been better off setting it in Normandy, though I do get they were exploring the theme of an utterly defeated Germany futilely resisting with children fighting and reprisals against German citizens.

I thought Dunkirk was an incredibly good WWII movie. Some people don't like it, but I guess it landed just right with me, as unlikely as Fortis 1's dead-engine heroics were.

Shifting gears, my wife and I were out for our anniversary last weekend and she wanted to go see a movie, not caring at all what we saw. There were some darker movies I might have wanted to check out but she would have hated, and some lighthearted stuff she would have liked, but I would have hated. In between was Bad Boys Ride or Die. So, I held my nose and brought the tickets thinking it was a lot to pay for popcorn and two hours of air conditioning. To my pleasant surprise, though, I found it a surprisingly fun movie. I hadn't seen any Bad Boys movies since the first one (which I hated) and now I'm thinking maybe I should watch the 3-4 interceding movies and see what's up with them.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 07:30 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Also, going back to the discussion on Silly movies, I'd like to also bring up The Man With Two Brains.

Here's a short scene where Steve Martin's character says a prayer to his late wife about the new woman he has fallen in love with...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkcKQmr7kRc
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 04:56 AM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
I liked Steve Martin, though I wished he had stayed away from Bilko and the Pink Panther. Also belated congratulations on your anniversary.

Watched First Kill the other day. Fairly decent, the best parts are probably with the kid and kidnapper.
Bruce Willis is also in this, and I suspect this was one of his last movies before his mental decline. He gives a solid but unremarkable performance, as did Hayden Christiansen(yes Skywalker). By far the thing about the movie is Gethin Anthony, as Levi the kidnapper, whom brings a lot of humanity to the role. By contrast the girl who played Hayden’s partner was just bland.
If you want to switch off your brain for a bit, you could do worse than this.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 06:02 AM
Beyond the Veil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4525
Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
For those Brits curious if my review of Lost City holds water, it’s repeated on Saturday.
Seen it. Was "meh".
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 01:08 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alot of Bruce Willis movies have been low budget blah. Not always on him. Out of death is supposed to have been his last movie. (I think they put out one more after though) it's good for a low budget.
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 01:31 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
I think Bruce Willis knew he was in decline and probably couldn't hold up in too many more major Hollywood productions, so he started taking a lot of little pay-days in straight to video to ensure he and his family would be financially secure when he could no longer work. I think that's an instinct a lot of men can relate to. Theoretically, he should have been all set from such a big career, but you never know how good celebrities are with their money.