Game Thread Prologue: A Lucrative Offer - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Crimson Ivory Company
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 8th, 2020, 03:00 AM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6093
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
Prologue: A Lucrative Offer

The White Rose Tavern, WaterdeepWithin the bustling City of Splendors, Waterdeep, amid all the crowded streets and loud shop signs and brick buildings, lies a particular tavern. It doesn't cater often to the average citizen off the street, nor is it even known to the average person. Rather, it caters to the City Watch and the City Guard, to military men and women be them active or discharged, and to mercenaries and spies.

In the Dock Ward of the city, in a dead end alley and down a cellar stairway, you find the heavy, white wooden door, glowing in the clouded starlight night like the moon. Opening it and stepping inside is like walking through a portal. The cold, wet chill of the smelly streets outside are wiped away and replaced with warmth, light, gentle chatter, and the smell of spiced pork and ale. Scattered around the many tables are a diverse mix of uniforms and plains-clothes, all seemingly randomly dispersed. Mercenaries with the City Guard, elves and dwarves and humans with foreign accents mingling with locals, and even a few criminals. Here, in this place, a truce is upheld. No law or war, past or present, is allowed to get in the way of rest and relaxation.

Rather than take a seat at the bar, you walk to the back of the establishment, to a flight of rickety stairs leading to the upper floor. You aren't here for a drink... at least, not yet. You're here because of a curious summons, a request in the form of a letter written by the enigmatic Lt Col Enduring, a rather famous tiefling within certain circles. He says he has an opportunity for a job, one that would make both of you rich.

When you reach the top of the stair you are greeted with the sight of an already open door and a grinning red tiefling, with stark white hair running between a pair of ruby horns, jet black eyes, and wearing an old military coat has since had its emblem and insignia covered with a long crimson shoulder cape. Enduring, no doubt.

"Welcome, welcome. I was surprised to see you arrive so soon! I take it then, that you are as eager as I am about this business proposition? Well, then I won't keep you waiting. Come in, sit, and we can discuss this further..."

He turns and gestures into the room, inviting you inside. The office within is... exotic. A dark, hardwood desk sits in the middle and is its own oasis of mundanity amid a sea of strange curios and exotic plants. The walls and ceiling are all but covered with twisting vines sprouting flowers of every color imaginable. In the gaps between the flora, military and tribal banners from across the continent occasionally give a glimpse of themselves The cabinets along the walls show little to no open space on top of them, and are instead cluttered with everything from animal skulls to ornate music boxes to small stone carvings to jars filled with various anatomy from various living creatures. The books shelves are filled completely, but feature so few with titles in Common that you could count them on your fingers. Behind the desk is a tall armoire with its doors wide open, revealing a splendid suit of armor within as well as a few pieces of select weaponry... a sword, a hand axe, a twisted, thorny black club, a pair of single shot pistols...

All of this is lit without candles. Strategically placed around the room are glowing crystals that provide the majority of what little light graces the room. Flitting about in the air are also a handful of lightning bugs, a few of whom dance around your head and arms briefly, perhaps mistaking you for a potential place to land until close inspection.

Enduring himself walks over to the desk and pulls out a chair for you. He gestures towards it. "Please, have a seat. Or stand, if that is to your preference." Once you make your choice, and the Lt. Col is certain of your comfort, he takes his own seat behind the desk, what can only be described as a small throne carved from opalescent volcanic glass which sparkles in the soft light.

The tiefling leans over the desk, and grins widely to you, revealing sharpened, fang-like teeth. "Forgive me if I move straight to the heart of the issue. As I said in my letter, I have an opportunity of employment to offer you. Something steady and lucrative. The work is difficult and dangerous, but dare I say you shall avoid boredom, most certainly. So tell me... how do feel about killing monsters?"

OOCAway we go, ladies and gentlemen. No need to have sheets ready right now, you've got some time before we start killing things. The game thread is open for you to introduce your characters, first come, first serve!

Everyone coming second, third, and fourth may enter when they wish. No need to wait for me.

Posting will be abysmally slow, so always feel free to move on without me.

Last edited by Solid Snek; Nov 8th, 2020 at 03:02 AM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 06:50 PM
Here & Queer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
starkidmack starkidmack
White Rose Tavern
right-aligned image
Zhosa pays the other patrons no mind as she walks through the tavern. The eyes that follow her are nothing new. Even in a city as diverse and bustling as Waterdeep, a Yuan-ti stuck out like a sore thumb. And in a place like this, a Yuan-ti in exotic leathers with numerous weapons strapped to her is even more noticeable. The scales that adorn her skin glimmer under the warm glow of the lights and her long braid swishes against her back softly as she makes her way to the stairs near the back of the building.

She’d been surprised when the letter found her. She hadn’t been in Waterdeep for more than a few weeks. But rescuing a noble from the clutches of a manticore outside of Neverwinter apparently garnered some interest in her abilities, and word traveled quickly. The offer of job, and a decent payoff, wasn't something she'd have willingly ignored after all.

Greeted with the sight of the Lt. Col at the top of the stairs, Zhosa pauses. "If there's work to be done, I have no reason to wait," she responds, stepping past him into the room. She eyes the décor curiously. Much of it looks familiar, things she’d seen in her travels or recognized from her homeland. There are even a few pieces that looked like they came from tribes she was familiar with. The weapons are particularly striking though, and she takes a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship before turning her attention to the tiefling in front of her.

When the chair is offered, she shakes her head once. "I prefer to stand," she replies simply, eyes never leaving Enduring. As he perches on his… throne… and bares his teeth, she tenses. The warm, friendly exterior of the patron contradicts with his sharp edges and even sharper words, and it catches her off guard for a moment.

You're not in the jungle any more, she reminds herself. Business is done differently here. Relax.

"Monsters?" she asks. A smirk finally tugs at the corner of her lips and Zhosa hand rests on the hilt of the dagger at her side. "That, I can do. What do you have in mind?"

Stat Block

Last edited by starkidmack; Nov 9th, 2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 07:53 PM
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Opal
right-aligned image

Opal didn't mind spending a little money on a super-cute girl despite not having all that much money herself. A miller's daughter wasn't exactly able to afford much in the way of luxuries. So, the wonderfully soft blankets that Opal had bought would be quite a treat, and improve the hay loft they had been sleeping in. If only she could do something about the scent of the donkeys downstairs. Opal had to be careful with her money, however. One day she would have to fund an expedition. But maybe that "Crimson Ivory" company was a good place to start actually earning a bit of coin, a reputation, and perhaps the friendship or at least respect of some monster-slayers who wouldn't mind a few-thousand-mile journey to slay an abomination.

Crimson Ivory. It sounded like a fancy way of saying "bloody fangs", like there was a tribe of extremely posh Orcs in town. Posh Orcs vs. Tieflings: what was the difference? She hadn't met a Tiefling yet that didn't think of themselves as both a bit posh and savage. Maybe this Enduring fellow would prove to be the exception. It was bound to happen one day.

Opal hadn't really planned ahead, however. She ended up carrying the burlap sack stuffed full of soft blankets to her meeting at the inn, tavern, whatever. The bar scene had never really been her things - not that she'd had much of a change to have a thing. She only hoped that a band of tough and ready mercenaries wouldn't care what she was hauling around. Taking a seat seemed like the sensible thing to do and quite inviting after wondering about a city this huge. That reminded her to pick up some new boots soon.

She smirked at the question from Enduring. "How do I feel about killing monsters? Like it can't happen enough," she responded. She found the Tiefling's broad grin to be more than just a bit creepy. Men. She half-
expected some comment on her looks in the next few seconds.

Last edited by girlplay; Nov 9th, 2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6817
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Hellrider's Daughter:
right-aligned image

Lyra Vash panted as she entered the tavern and shot a glare at a man who stepped in her path before shouldering past without a word, She wasn't here for that sort of fun. As she climbed the stairs, her boots thumped quickly but not in a hurry, more climbing with a purpose and her armor squeaked it's need for a bit of oil. She had been between Daggerford and Baldur's Gate, at the edge of the Trollbark Forest when the messenger had caught up to her and perhaps he exaggerated the urgency of the letter, causing her to ride Gallant pretty hard in the opposite direction back towards Waterdeep. She somewhat barged into the office and found two women, one dressed rather fancily and the other more Lyra's style, girded for battle, and a Tiefling who she presumed was Enduring, "I'm here, your rider said it was urgent, something about monsters... and money? There's money, right?" she blew out a quick breath and sidestepped the chair nearest her to sit down. She smelled of horse sweat and human sweat but she didn't care much.

OOC:

Last edited by Arthilian01; Nov 10th, 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 09:14 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
The White Rose Tavern, Waterdeep"What did you have in mind?" Zhosa asks, standing with attentive eyes at Enduring while Opal kicks back in the single chair in the room. The red-skinned tiefling pauses before answering, and within that short pause, Lyra bursts in the door. The rider's own introduction causes Enduring to laugh, throwing his head backward with his grin opening wide as he is apparently overcome by the humor. It almost looks fake.

"Yes, Miss Vash. There is indeed money." As his laughing fit dies, Enduring reaches to the floor behind the desk and hoists up a bag of not insignificant size. He shakes it twice, letting the heavy coins inside clatter against each other, before tossing the bag to Lyra. As the small sack lands against he open palms, the weight forces her elbows to buckle, and her waist and knees to bend to absorb some of the inertia. The coins and the bag must weigh at least fifteen pounds, if not more.

"A sign-on bonus, for each of you. One thousand gold A common name for a standard gold coin in Waterdeepdragons, and the promise of more should you return successful. There is, of course, a catch. Well, two, to be precise. Although I expect one to be irksome only to a minority of you all, and the other to be insignificant to everyone involved."

Enduring leans back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other before delicately folding his hand across his lap. He certainly had the "posh" attitude that Opal had found common in tieflings. And if the teeth are anything to go by, it is likely that the "savage" merely lay buried deep beneath the surface, for the time being. At least he had resisted any urge to comment on anyone's appearance.

"While I do not wish to go into too much detail before the others arrive... Ah! Speaking of, I apologize Miss Vash, but I'm afraid I only have the one chair. But as I was saying... without going into terribly great detail, you will not be working independently, but in teams of four." Teams. Plural. Just how many are expected to arrive?

Enduring doesn't give much pause, and immediately moves on to his second point before the first even has adequate time to settle in. "Second, you will operate partially on commission. I say 'partially' as there is indeed a flat rate... but it is much smaller than you might expect of your average monster hunting guild."

Last edited by Solid Snek; Nov 9th, 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 10:10 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22142
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors

The location of the tavern in question isn't at all unknown to Bellandra, after all, she's lived in the City of Splendors her entire life and spent a bit of that in the company of those kinds of folk who frequent the place. In fact it's hardly her first trip here, though it has been a while. Some things never change though, evidenced immediately once she opens the door and steps inside. The tiefling doesn't walk into the place so much as saunter, not through any deliberate decision but an inborn instinct. She certainly gets attention, any tiefling would, really, but the wings, tail, leather armor, and swaying draw a bit more even than that. Nothing she isn't used to though, and the looks are easily ignored. Much like those who came before her, she's here for business, not pleasure. Well, maybe a little bit of pleasure she thinks to herself as she diverts course to the bar and orders a mug of Old Redthorn ale, a sweet and spicy concoction brewed by a dwarven brewmaster that caters to those of a more fiery persuasion. The note she got said nothing about food and drink being served, better not chance it.

She downs a couple swigs of ale on her way to and up the stairs, grabbing one of the empty chairs in the tavern and dragging it along with her. She lets out a sigh when she sees what's beyond the open door, shaking her head and rolling her eyes slightly. "Oh Enduring, I see you haven't lost your flair for the dramatic, have you?" she asks in a droll tone as she steps inside. It's not the first time she's had a passing encounter with him, with her being among the wealthy and noble in Waterdeep it was all but unavoidable. Though it's never been anything other than a passing greeting, and certainly she's never directly worked for him. Still, his fellow tiefling feels it's enough of a connection for her to tease him about his choice of decor.

The woman who steps into the room is on the tall side, with dark reddish skin, horns, dark bat-like wings, and a tail lazily trailing behind her. Another tiefling, unmistakably. She looks ready for action with her leather armor in place, a bow across her back, and rapier and small blade at her side. Though many tieflings favor the magical arts, it seems she does not. At least not entirely. She drags her purloined chair into the room but turns it around and sits in it backwards so as not to smash her wings against the back, leaning on the back of the chair and taking another drink. She takes a look around at the others in the room but absent is the predatory gaze one might expect from her kind, she seems to simply be familiarizing herself with those present. Though once she does so there's a chuckle from her. "Your Calimshan roots are showing Enduring, are you trying to start a harem? I heard about a monster hunt, is it going to involve some sort of mud monster and a lack of armor? Or clothes?" she laughs, apparently still not done giving their host grief once she notices that all those present are women. "Regardless, I'm in. For killing monsters. Or that other thing," she chuckles as she downs more of the fiery ale.

Last edited by PalladiaMors; Nov 9th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 10:15 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9951
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Shawzin Sledge
right-aligned image
The door opens and a half-orc man thrusts his head in, looking around. Spotting the tiefling, a smile crosses his face. He slips into the room quietly, smoothing his apron with one hand, while the other holds a covered plate that sizzles and smells A smell of seared flank steak, cooked with butter and mashed garlic. The aroma of herb-infused potatoes, and lightly browned rice with thyme.heavenly.

While the Lt. Col. is providing much-needed exposition, Shawzin slips the plate onto a corner of the man's desk and then steps back. If questioned, Shawzin will provide a fork and knife and napkin for the man. "Pardon the intrusion, sir." he starts. "I figured you'd have your hands full getting all of us up to speed to I took the liberty of whipping up something to give you energy."

As odd as his introduction seemed, Shawzin merely stands aside and nods as his new boss talks, as if he had assumed he would be going along with the job offer no matter what.

Burly and muscular, Shawzin had the body of someone who had done physical work for his entire life. His hair was worked into a cluster of dreadlocks, pulled back with a simple cord. His bare arms are covered in geometric black tattoos, while his torso is covered in a black leather vest and a ruddy-red scaled hide apron. If it weren't for the... oddity of his equipment's composition, one would easily assume that Shawzin was but a chef with a bodybuilding hobby... Though the amulet around his neck portraying a pair of spatula crossed over a plate gave him an almost religious air about him, even if there was no god that used that image.

"Shawzin Sledge, also known as the Cookhouse Cleric." the half-orc introduces. "At your service."

Last edited by Runetide; Nov 9th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 06:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11535
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hazel
right-aligned image

Stumbling through the tavern's door, her back cold and damp both from running and her own concerned nervosity at being late, Hazel takes but a moment to inquire where the meeting she's supposed to attend takes place before hurrying up the stairs. Taking a moment to compose herself, straightening her tunic and calming her breathing, she gently knocks on the wooden door, then enters without waiting for a reply from within the room.

Stepping into the room, Hazel is greeted by the warm, sweet scent of an exquisite meal, almost hiding the more fragrant odour of a large variety of unfamiliar plants and herbs. Her eyebrows raise slightly at the people already present. Nonetheless, Hazel manages to hide her unease at the sight of a half-orc, her curiosity for the oddly reptilian human, and her concern at the presence of two tieflings. If she hadn't double-checked the address before coming in, Hazel would've thought she'd stumbled into the wrong meeting- and a very poor meeting to stumble into uninvited at that.

Nonetheless, Hazel manages a broad smile. 'Hello,' she offers along with a friendly nod to all those present, before stepping forward and offering a hand to the tiefling opposite everyone else. 'Lieutenant-colonel Enduring, I presume? I am Hazel- you wrote a letter concerning a job offer? Terribly sorry about my tardiness,' she apologizes. 'I had some trouble finding the place- this city is quite a bit more labyrinthe than my home town, and the dock workers weren't exactly helpful in providing directions. Well,' she adds with a crooked smile, 'at first, anyway. Regardless, I wanted to thank you for your invitation, and-' her voice trails off, turning to one of the plants lining the wall.

'Is that Awana?' she asks incredulously, quickly stepping over to a small potted brush bearing thin, reddish fruits. 'That's... I've never even heard of it successfully being grown in this climate! That's...' She looks up then, remembering her company and her manners. Turning back to Enduring, Hazel scrapes her throat. 'Quite an impressive collection you have,' she compliments the Tiefling. 'But, regardless, you mentioned a job offer?'

Stat BlockHazel | Half-elf | Druid (Shepherd) | Level 4

HP: 31/31 | AC: 14 | Speed: 30ft | Initiative: +0

Stats: STR 8
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 18
CHA 14
Abilities
| STR -1
DEX +0
CON +2
INT +4
WIS +6
CHA +2
Saves
| Animal Handling +1
Insight +6
Investigation +4
Nature +4
Persuasion +4
Survival +6
Skill Proficiencies

Languages: Common, Elven, Druidic, Sylvan, beasts, Primordial

Relevant Equipment: +1, 1d6-1 bludgeoning, Versatile (d8)Quarterstaff, Base AC: 12Hide Armor, AC: +2Shield

Features/Traits: Spell save DC: 14
Spell attack modifier: +6
May cast a prepared spell as a ritual
Druid spellcasting, You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.Rustic Hospitality, Darkvision (60), You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleepFey Ancestry, As an action, can change into a beast (max CR 1/2, no flying) for 2 hours, twice per short rest. Stats except Int, Wis and Cha are replaced by beast's. Use highest for skill/save proficiency. Assume beast's hit points and HD, and revert to your full hp (excess damage is carried over). Cannot cast/speak while in beast form, but concentration on active spells isn't broken, and actions that are part of a spell can still be taken. Retain benefits of features from class/race etc, except special senses like darkvision. Equipment becomes part of you, falls to your feet, or remains on you, as you choose.Wild shape, Once per short rest as a bonus action, summon a spirit with a 30ft. aura. May move it 60ft as a bonus action, and lasts one minute. Choose one;
- Bear: each creature of your choice gains 9 (5+lvl) temporary hit points. You and allies gain advantage on Strength checks and saving throws.
- Hawk: Use reaction to grant a creature attacking a target in the aura advantage. While in the area, you and allies gain advantage on Perception.
- Unicorn: You and allies gain advantage on ability checks to detect creatures. All healing spells cast by you heal an additional 4 (lvl) hit points.
Spirit Totem

Old Nov 10th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
The White Rose Tavern, Waterdeep"Ah, Bellandra! Always a pleasure." Unlike with the others, Enduring stands to greet the fellow tiefling. His jaw tenses slightly when she mentions Calimshan... or perhaps when she suggests ulterior motives for forming this meeting. In either case, the slight crack in his overly flamboyant facade lasts only a moment before being swept away by his smile.

Shawzin the half-orc slips inside quietly while this exchange is going on, and before addressing him, Enduring actually turns to address the plate of food first. The tiefling picks up the meal, raising it to the half-orc chef as he simultaneously bows his head slightly in greeting. "And Mister Sledge... I must confess, you are just the man I was most eager to meet today. And not just for this." He takes the offered utensils and napkin and begins to dig in. "Of course... absolutely excellent! My, my, you might even be able to give old Fry a run for his money. When we've concluded, I recommend you meet our tavern's chef." He takes another few bites, keeping his eyes on the food as he switches the conversation back to the others present.

"Just a little more of your patience, ladies and gentleman... only three more are to arrive... ah, well, make that two."

Hazel knocks on the door before letting herself in, lingering in the doorway a spell as she surveys the people within the room, then moving her gaze towards the decor. If Enduring had been perturbed by her time or manner of interest, he certainly doesn't say anything about it. As Hazel's mind and words wander off towards the subject of the Awana plant, Enduring follows without pause.

"As to be expected, you have a good eye for botany. Yes, normally the plant will only bear fruit along the northern shores of Chult. And while I would love to entertain the idea that I am a skilled gardener..." Enduring sets down the plate on his desk, before strolling over to the Awana, plucking one of its fruits, and holding it up to Hazel in the palm of one hand. Steady, and at a rather alarming pace, the skin of the fruit begins to peel as if of its own accord, and tendrils of green begin to sprout from it. The green tendrils lengthen and twist upwards, before beginning to grow thicker and turn brown. Within less than a minute, the fruit has all but disappeared, and in its place is a fully matured, albeit short Awana tree, its roots wrapped around Enduring's arm as it struggles to find some kind of solid ground to gain purchase in. [B"...the truth is, I cheated nature."[/B]

The tiefling admits this with a wry grin, before walking back towards his desk. Once there, he seems to realize that his arm is now trapped within the coiling roots of the plant, and he wraps his fingers around the bottom of the trunk. At a similar pace to when it had grown from a fruit, the small tree begins to turn gray and sickly. Its bark and leaves peel and flake off, and within time, the entire plant crumbles to soft ash, scattering into a small pile on the floor. Enduring brushes his hands together to wipe off the residue, before returning to the meal Shawzin had made.

"As I said... only two more are to arrive. Then I shall explain everything in great detail," he reiterates.

Last edited by Solid Snek; Nov 10th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1142
orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum
Celeste De'Luca
right-aligned image

One of the tavern guards opens the door for Celeste as she enters, adding a bit of twilight to the dimly lit room. Sheets of pure magic clung to her figure and trailed out to form the bell of a dress that dissolved into wisps at the edges. Six marks seize her face, and together with her eyes the same hue of light leaks from underneath as if her flesh was painted over an incandescent statue. She glances about the room and then smiles "Yes, this will do nicely. I am Lady De'Luca, and I have come to slay beasts." The woman announces boldly, before gently offering her hand for Enduring to kiss in greeting. Everything and everyone in the room was perfect and this monster hunting would certainly be a good sport and an opportunity to raise her legend in the eyes of the fey.

Last edited by orichulum; Nov 10th, 2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19924
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Thunder in the Morning, Thunder in the Evening
right-aligned image

"It says ya gotta go to the Dock Ward, down pass Bourban Street, an’ down another flight o’ stairs. Look fer a…" The small lad squinted at the crumpled letter in his hands. His nose crinkled in thought as he scanned the last line, trying to make sense of the fancy swirls that ruined a perfectly good letter.. "”...after ye reach the end o’ the cellar stairs, look fer a door ‘at glows like moonlight”. ‘at sounds awfuuuully suspicious, mister. Are ya some kind o’ pirate?"

A sound akin to thunder rumbling in the distance erupted from the scarred Tabaxi’s throat, his one good eye, which was a murky grey, no different than the clouds that banked Waterdeep’s sky, twinkled in mischief as he laughed at the lad’s bluntness. "Does Thunder in the Morning look like a pirate to you?" His voice was gravelly and low, strangely pleasant to the ear. The same could not be said for the Tabaxi’s face as the street urchin surveyed the scar over his left eye with furrowed suspicion. The eye permanently shut closed from a blow that could have easily come from a beast or a blade. A trait that many pirates and thugs in Waterdeep seemed to share.

Confidant, the boy nodded. "Uh-huh. Ye even smell like one."

The toothy smile on Thunder in the Morning’s face immediately fell, concern flicking from his eye to his rounded feline ears as they fell flat against his head. "Thunder does?" Thunder in the Morning sat the boy off his knee, waiting until the lad was standing firm on his own two feet before he gave a cursory sniff to his travel cloak. Pure unfiltered pain hit him as the smell of a road hard travelled and guts of beasts slain three weeks ago burned his nostrils. He hacked, shaking his head to try and escape the undeniable stink of sweat, rot, and who knows what else. "Hmn. *cough* That is unfortunately rank." Looks like he should have taken that bath at the inn after all, but how he was supposed to know that Waterdeep was this big and that learning his way around its streets would take up so much time.

Plopping half of himself across Thunder in the Morning’s lap, the lad kicked his legs behind him, sharing a gapped-tooth smile with Thunder in the Morning as he climbed all over the giant Tabaxi without a care in the world. "I know a pretty good waterin’ hole ye can wash in! It’ll cost ye an extra five silvers, but it works great! Me ‘un Greg ‘un Tomas caught a skunk once ‘un got sprayed ‘un--’un you wouldn’t believe how smelly we were! It took like-- a hundred baths to get it out! But ye’d probably need like two hundred!"

"Maybe later." Grabbing the lad by the scruff of his shirt, Thunder in the Morning lifted him off him, holding him steady in the air so he could stand up from the crate he rested on without stepping on the squirrely lad. He cracked his back with a twist of his shoulders, before he threw the lad up and into the air with one good throw, catching him right-side up with a single hand. The boy loved it, gesturing wildly for him to do it again, but much to his dismay, Thunder in the Morning put him back on the ground. "Thunder in the Morning has business to attend to. It is not right to keep people waiting, no?" Cocking a grin, he winked at the lad as he slowly turned on his heel. "Even pirates."

The lad’s loud exclamation of "I knew it!!" put an extra pep into Thunder in the Morning’s step. It was exactly the kind of pick-me-up he needed after wandering Waterdeep for at least three agonizing hours in search of the appointed meeting place between him and Lt. Enduring of the Crimson Ivory Company. Thunder in the Morning couldn’t deny his surprise when he first received the letter weeks ago, mainly because he didn’t know how to read. But when the very kind Innkeeper from Giant’s Leap read him its contents, Thunder in the Morning was doubly surprised by the invitation to join an official monster hunting group. One whose renown was greater than even his own! How could he resist accepting?

A few turns down a seedy looking alleyway and into a cellar stairway (which was undeniably very suspicious), Thunder in the Morning spotted the white wooden door that glowed like moonlight. He didn’t know what lay behind it. It very likely could have been a surly lot of pirates rather than the man he sought, but thinking first before he acted was never Thunder in the Morning’s strong suit. Without hesitation, he opened the door and was greeted by sights and sounds and smells opposite of what Waterdeep welcomed him with on his first day here. It was like he stepped into a fantasy world by how many different people gathered together under the same roof. No fists thrown or insults slung. Just plain as day merriment. Overwhelmed, Thunder in the Morning could only wonder why this tavern was so different from the streets above.

It took every ounce of control in his hulking frame of six foot six inches to not slide up to the counter and join in the lively conversations that sprung up around him. But Thunder in the Morning was here for a reason. An important reason. He was here to slay monsters. Time for play could come later. A quick conversation with the barkeep pointed Thunder in the Morning up the stairs to where the meeting place was meant to take place. Thunder in the Morning ran his hand through his braided mane as he headed up the steps, only to pause halfway up to pluck a flower from a nearby planter. Sniffing its pleasant aroma, he quickly tied it into his cloak before galloping excitedly up the rest of the way, no doubt alerting his presence to those that gathered in Lt. Enduring’s room.

Throwing his shoulders back and puffing his chest out, Thunder in the Morning made himself look bigger than life and stepped through the doorway with a confidant laugh on his lips as he announced himself with a booming voice. "Thunder in the Morning apologizes for his lateness! Never been to a city like Waterdeep before so Thunder in the Morning found himself--" That was when Thunder in the Morning noticed who exactly he was introducing himself to. Ladies. A lot of ladies. And they were not only gorgeous in their own right, but terrifyingly well-armed. Had he not been covered in fur, Thunder in the Morning would have looked as red as Lt. Enduring. Instead only his wide-eye and puffed up fur gave away how flustered the giant Tabaxi suddenly was.

It took him a minute or two to find his words, but eventually, Thunder in the Morning held up a clawed hand, slowly stepping back towards the doorway as he coughed politely. "Many apologies, Thunder in the Morning thinks he entered the wrong room. He will pretend not to have seen an obvious gathering of assassins."

Character SheetThunder in the Morning | Tabaxi | Fighter (Champion) | Level 4

HP: 36/36 | AC: 18 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3

Stats: Strength: 16
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 12
Abilities | Strength: +5
Dexterity: +3
Constitution: +4
Intelligence: -1
Wisdom: 0
Charisma: +1
Saves | Acrobatics: +5
Animal Handling: +2
Athletics: +5
Perception: +2
Stealth: +5
Survival: +2
Skill Proficiencies

Languages: Common, Elvish

Relevant Equipment: +6 melee, 1d8 +4, Bludgeoning, VersatileBlacksmith's Hammer, Base AC: 14Breastplate, Base AC: +2 when equippedProsthetic Metal Hand, +5 melee, +5 thrown, Slashing, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60Handaxes x 2

Last edited by Strangemund; Nov 10th, 2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 12:48 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22142
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors

There's another light chuckle from Bellandra as Enduring addresses her, the seated tiefling regarding their host with a smirk as he stands. "Oh come on now, what's a little teasing between cousins? Metaphorical cousins, we're not related," she clarifies, likely for the benefit of the others present who may have taken the statement literally. "But if this is a harem, I call dibs on the red outfit. It is my co-," she continues, only to find herself interrupted by a sudden sniffing and look back over her shoulder as Shawzin arrives. She gives him a look up and down as well, eyes following him as he places the food on Enduring's desk. "I stand corrected, but not disappointed," she muses, lazily turning her head to watch as Hazel and Celeste arrive, her gaze notably lingering longer on the latter.

Only for her less than subtle appraisal of the room to be interrupted by a big, smelly mound of furball that burst into the room, the one flower somehow doing very little to serve as a counter. Nonetheless the amused expression doesn't leave her face, it seems to be a regular feature. "Oh he's found us out, so much for the secret league of assassins disguised as a harem. I was really looking forward to it too," she sighs, continuing the joke that the new arrivals aren't a part of. "So that's..." she says as she turns back to Enduring, counting on her fingers as she does. "Everyone. So what are the details? Teasing and fun aside, there are all manner of beasts and abominations out there causing harm and destruction that I would like to see stopped," she adds, possibly dispelling any concern over why she was actually here. Though given the way her lingering gaze resumes, possibly not.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9951
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Shawzin Sledge
right-aligned image
"Let me know if you need a particularly enticing dinner for any harem stuff y'all do." he commented. "But unless you're a 64 ounce dragon sirloin steak with jewel cactus glaze and millennium garnish, I'm not romantically inclined. As for assassin stuff... Please, don't poison the food, they might say it, but it's NEVER really tasteless."

Shawzin looks at the newcomers with a sense of interest. While he couldn't intellectually analyze the others in the room with him, he had a strong instinct for what kind of diet they would need, as well as if they've been eating properly. The tabaxi looked like he could use a trip to the groomers, but he was sturdy and hale, despite his injuries.

The rest of the 'Harem of Extraordinary Assassins', however, looked like they would need to make some gains before they'd really be a help hunting down the beasties plaguing the region. Shawzin crossed his arms as he started plotting meal plans for each of them. To anyone else, it looked like he was just a big half-orc glowering from a dark corner of the room while he waited for their new boss to pass out the details.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 03:42 PM
Here & Queer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
starkidmack starkidmack
The White Rose
right-aligned image
Zhosa steps back and eyes the newcomers warily. The smirk at her lips falls away into a frown as more pile in. The letter had said nothing of teams of hunters, and even before she left home, she preferred to do her work alone. But, she reasons, she should have expected something like this in a large city. So she keeps her back against the wall, silently watching the others chatter.

The Awana plant had caught her eye when she first walked in, and she is surprised to see Enduring handle it. Or rather, be handled by it, it seems. She smirks again, then flicks her eyes to the others. A half-orc, a few humans, a few half-elves, a tiefling, and a tabaxi. Not the most subtle of hunting companions, but seemingly capable, nonetheless. But as words like "assassin" and "harem" are thrown about, and as the half-orc serves food to Enduring, she wonders just how capable they really are.

"Excuse me," she says, finally stepping forward. "I'm here for a job, not to be an assassin or part of some... club. And the lieutenant colonel was just explaining that work when the rest of you bounded in." Turning to Enduring, she gives a small, insincere smile. "If there is work to be done or a monster to be tracked, I can do it. But your letter said nothing of teams, and I'd prefer not to waste my time with nonsense."
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
The White Rose Tavern, WaterdeepWhen Celeste enters, it does appear for the briefest moment that Enduring had not fully prepared for her personality. While he does place the plate down and approach her, correctly assuming that she would expect his undivided attention while she announces herself, he does pause for a moment when she offers her hand. But he recovers quickly, correctly judging her intent, and bows his head to kill her hand before returning it to her. He even switches to her preferred honorific when addressing her.

"Lady De'Luca, it is a delight to make your acquaintance at last. I do hope this endeavor will prove to be a wonderful opportunity for both yourself and your... employers."

It is now that Thunder in the Morning enters, complete with his half-finished introduction. As the tabaxi prepares to make a swift and quiet exit, Enduring laughs, crossing the room and catching the door with his hand. In his current cautious state, Thunder notices that the tiefling doesn't seem to be armed, at least... so unless he intends to order the other in the room to attack, or use some kind of magic, the tiefling is unlikely to be an attacker.

"Thunder in the Morning, please remain! Come in! No, you were correct the first time. I am Enduring, and I am so glad that you answered my letter." While pulling the door open a little wider and standing to the side so the tabaxi may enter, Enduring turns back to Bellandra and playfully chides her. "My dear, do not tease my guests so much. You've only just met them. They may not yet be able to determine when you are joking... and when you are quite serious."

The White Rose Tavern, WaterdeepWith everyone gathered, Enduring reclaims his position behind the desk, apologizing once again for the lack of chairs before making good on his earlier promise to explain everything.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as I am sure you are all aware by now, I am Lt Col Enduring, founder of the Crimson Ivory Company. And I am in constant need for capable, competent hunters, with the skills, attitudes, and desires to slay monsters. From what I understand, all eight of you are quite perfect for the positions."

Enduring begins placing the remaining seven bags of gold on his desk, one for each present... minus Lyra, who already has her own. "Should you accept, you will all be payed a modest fee up front so that you may properly equip yourselves. For each contract you complete, you will be payed a flat fee based on the danger and urgency of the contract. However, that is only a small fraction of your reward."

By now, the more dramatic tone the tiefling had adopted as everyone had trickled in is faded, and he reverts to a more serious, almost military way of speaking. "You will receive a commission based on the remains your harvest from whatever you kill. Monster parts are quite valuable, and my contacts are always buying."

"Finally, for those who were not present earlier... you are to operate in teams of four. I do not employ independent contractors, as I much prefer my hunters to last a long time. And I am quite sure that you are all far more invested in your own survival than I am. As to how you are divided into teams... well, I have an assumption on how you will go about it, but it is ultimately your own decision. And here..." Enduring reaches into a desk drawer and produces two pieces of parchment, each possessing a short description of a monster-ridden town, and what little is known about their respective monsters. He hands one to Opal, who is sitting right in front of him, and offers the other to whoever takes it first. "...here are the perfect contracts to confirm my suspicious that you are quite suited for this job, as well as allow you to get a feel for how you and your new allies work as a team."

Enduring leans back in his chair, crossing his legs once more. He holds his hands apart, arms open, waiting for a response. "There are no objections, I trust? Perhaps questions?" He gives a glance at Zhosa, clearly having heard her earlier objection, but aside from his assertion that the teams are necessary, seems to be glossing over it.

Last edited by Solid Snek; Nov 10th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.