Game Thread Rimworld Let's Play: Dodging Debris - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > OR Archive
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 24th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16528
Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom
Rimworld Let's Play: Dodging Debris

The ISS Gygax had been travelling for months now, lumbering through space from glitterworld to glitterworld allowing its compliment of wealthy passengers to absorb the myriad delights of each fabulously wealthy planet. At the request of a group of passengers, accompanied by a large quantity of credits, the space cruiser had made a diversion from its scheduled route to visit some of the seedier planets in the area. The so called "rim worlds" were a great place for the rich and privileged to go slumming. Why, there were even primitive tribes of savages who murdered each other over resources there. How exciting! The betting over which Neanderthal-like warrior would win when clubs came to blows was fiercer than even that found at the on board Baccarat tables.

This was their second such rim world and the passengers had already re-embarked, brought on board by a series of skiff like drop pods only large enough for a person, maybe two. As they milled around the entry, the collection of passengers traded stories of their recent escapades; each trying to one-up the rest. One such gregarious, and more than a little haughty, fellow was extolling the benefits of the so called ambrosia fruit, and his resulting adventures with a few local tribeswomen, when he was rudely interrupted by the grinding clank of one final drop pod returning to the ship.

Normally the process was much smoother, with only a hiss of air and a faint bump to announce an arrival, but this one clanked whirred like it had mechanical asthma. As the hatch to the drop pod opened, the previous speaker attempted to recapture his audience's attention, and for a few moments, he succeeded. As time wore on and no one emerged from the darkened drop pod interior, his grasp on his audience quickly waned. In irritation the man adjusted his hyperweave safari jacket and shined his purely decorative monocle, before turning to the yawning opening demanding, "What the devil is wrong with you, come out already!" When no answer came forth, the annoyed gentleman stuck his head into the capsule to see who exactly had the temerity to, not only interrupt his scintillating story, but not even fess up to it. "Now listen here –" Echoed the voice of the story teller from inside the drop pod before suddenly cutting off with a screeching sound of metal on metal, and a wet thump.

The man leaning in seemed to go slack, and the crowd of onlookers drew back in uncertainty. The silence stretched out as they waited for the man to tell them what happened, and more than a few passengers starting whispering nervously. Finally three objects flew out of the drop pod, two the size of a beach ball with a metallic shine, and one smaller one. Two women screamed almost in synch, as they recognized the smallest object as that of the tale spinner's severed head, ripped from its body with surgical precision. As if on queue, each of the metallic balls began to rapidly unpack into full sized homicidal robots with razor sharp claws that could bisect a man in seconds. A fact they soon demonstrated on the packed room of onlookers as the onboarding area erupted into chaos.

On the bridge of the ISS Gygax, the captain stroked his luxurious white beard as he considered the situation behind his reinforced blast doors even as he listened to the panicked screams spreading via the comms throughout the ship. It wasn’t long before the experienced seafarer had a good idea of exactly what was going on. Tugging on his beard, the captain made his decision. Depressing a comms button, the captain dispassionately made a ship wide announcement. "Attention all passengers. We are currently dealing with some technical difficulties. For your safety, please report to your quarters. The crew will notify you when it is safe to return to the common areas."

Flipping a switch, the captain changed to a crew only band. "We have mechanical boarders. Execute contingency plan Red-Omega" Letting go of the crew only announcement, the captain pointed to the only other two on the bridge, his first officer and helmsmen. "Badger, Thomson, go help organize the crew at juncture 47. I’ll coordinate from here, and meet you there." Saluting, the two men ran off with more than a bit of worry in their eyes. Orders were orders though, and they trusted their captain.

As soon as the two were gone, the captain started shoving whatever might prove useful into a handy tote bag, including the helmsmen’s triple chocolate blast bar. The poor sod wouldn’t need it anyway. Slinging the bag over his shoulder, the captain gave the comms an annoyed look as it crackled back to life. It was his first officer, "-*-Where the hell are you captain? We’re getting -*-" The sound of screams and charge riffle blasts drowned out whatever his next in command was going to say. The captain shrugged, it didn’t matter anyway, they were all dead men. It was good that they had gotten into the armory first though, it would buy him more time. It was really too bad that everyone on the ship was going to be massacred. He had actually liked a few of his crew mates and passengers, but each of their lives bought him precious seconds.

Quickly striding towards the exit, the uniformed captain stopped and looked back at the control console. He paused for a moment before turning around. In just a few steps he was back at the console where he flicked a few switches, resulting in the immediate ear bleeding blare of klaxons all over the cruiser.

COOLANT LEAK. REACTOR OVERLOAD IN FIVE MINUTES, FORTY TWO SECONDS. ALL HANDS, ABANDON SHIP.

Stroking his beard once again, the captain exited the bridge without a second glance. There was an escape pod with his name on it just down the corner. With luck he would be able to flag down another ship and pay for passage with the credits he had amassed this trip. Approaching the pod he could see two passengers heading for his escape pod. Quickening his pace, the captain ignored their yells and slid into the pod in a single move, latching the door closed behind him. Staring into the two passengers faces through the closed drop pod window, he dispassionately pressed the release button. There was only room for one, and this captain wasn’t going down with his ship. Odds were, those two were likely doomed, which made the captain wonder if any of the other colonists would be smart and fast enough to evade the murderous robots and find an escape pod. Given the average passenger… probably not.

Unbeknownst to the captain though, three such passengers had done exactly that, and even now their escape pods were hurtling to the ground of the unforgiving surface of the rim world below. This is their story.

The GameHello! This will be a participatory let’s play game based on the game Rimworld. Rimworld is a scifi colony simulator which is kind of a mashup between Firefly and Dwarf Fortress. It has a built in AI story teller that helps to create narrative threads that we will be expanding on and resulting in narratives like the above, with relevant screenshots mixed in that outline how the colony and its people have survived (or not) through their tenure on the planet.

There will be highs, and lows, sorrows and joys, and hopefully a fair amount of fun.

Where do I come in?
I will be playing the video game, with input and character highlights from you! There will be two ways you can join in.
  1. You can !Sign Up to be a victim colonist
    I will name a colonist in game after you. You will be able to make limited !Requests as the game goes on. Primarily those relating to your colonist, and within reason.

As the game progresses, colonists/Players are encouraged to write RP samples of their own, either to fill in the gaps in the story, interact with other players, or give their own perspective on events provided they don’t conflict with “canon” game narration posts. Please wait until the second narrator post has been made to write your first RP posts. That way you can have a sense of the type, background, and traits your character has rolled.

If you have a preference on only being a male / female you can denote that in your sign up. I will be using usernames (preferred) as colonist names, unless specified differently.

Warning: Each colonists comes with randomized traits, backgrounds, and abilities. Some are negative, you get what you get.

If all colonists are taken, I will make an first come, first served queue. As new colonists join the colony, they will be “adopted” by the people who have !Signed up.
  2. Anyone watching will be able to !Vote at certain intervals. This will guide the colony and make important decisions on how the game unfolds. Colonists may also vote. In the event of a tie, tie breaking will be done via colonists votes, or if still tied, the narrator will make a final ruling.

Current Cast of Characters:
We are always looking for more!

Who
Lagging Savant
KKristophDavion
Tojara

Waiting List:
Who
Layk
Kapera
RedTheHunter
delpinator

Table of Contents:
Prologue: This post
Episode 1: Terminal Velocity
Episode 2: Beggin' Strips
Episode 3: In The Dark Of The Night
Episode 4: He did the mash
Episode 5: Black Sabath Pride
Episode 6: Fevered Dreams are Made of These
Episode 7: Take it Easy
Episode 8: Like Walkin' on the Sun
Episode 9: Daydream Believer
Episode 10: He Saw The Sign
Episode 11: Walk Away
Episode 12: It's Raining Men
Episode 13: Search and Rescue
Episode 14: Troop Movements
Episode 15: Freedom Farms

FAQ:

Will you be posting individual character stats?
No. I will share each character's high level backstory with their player in secret to help them roleplay them and have a rough idea of what they might be good at. Otherwise it will be a discovery process learned by doing things in the game. Look for clues in the narratives!

I'm a colonist. How do I know when I can post?
You can pretty much always post!

Ok, well what can I post about?

One good mainstay is: how does your colonist feel about a given situation? As the game progress, we will (hopefully) get more and more colonists, and it will be harder and harder to write every colonist into every scene. For the perceptive reader one will also notice certain detail "gaps" in the narration. These are (usually) left intentionally so that the colonists in question can jump in and fill in the details of what happened.

Don't forget that you can also !Request for your colonist to do something. If your colonist is currently farming, and you'd like them to try their hand at mad science in a hut in the corner of the map... put up a post about the colonist's thought process and make that !Request.

How do I know if I've taken too much license?
Generally you have a somewhat open canvas to work with. The primary constraint is just not to contradicting the primary narrative directly, or changing the world materially. Give it a go, and if you start toeing the line too much, I'll let you know!

I wanted to make a colonist post for a previous episode, but we've already moved on.
That's ok. Go ahead and the make the post, but please put a direct reference in a header, fieldset, or post title to which episode you're referencing to avoid confusion. A link may not hurt either.

How Story Teller are you using, and what difficulty is it set to?
Per the results of a vote, we are playing with Randy Random, where anything can happen at any time, on Rough.

Colony Laws and PoliciesColony Priorities:
Agriculture and Farming

Policies:
Treatment of Space Refugees Strings-Free All space refugees will be helped to the best of our ability without the expectation of payment or service.

Next Steps

-----

Last edited by Ion2Atom; Apr 8th, 2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Updated FAQ for posting
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
Lagging Savant Lagging Savant Lagging Savant
!Vote Cassandra
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 04:29 AM
A Cynical Instrumentalist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2873
KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion
Oh boy, !Sign Up for sure.

And, uh, !Vote Randy

Last edited by KKristophDavion; Jun 25th, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom
@KKristophDavion,
What item would you like your colonist to start with, as they flee the burning wreck?
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 11:31 PM

Tools
User Statistics
KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion
Hrm, knowing Rimworld for better or for worse, a pet. Absolutely the best idea.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Anime boxer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4224
Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara
!Sign Up
!Vote Randy

Cast the bones and face your fate!
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 07:01 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
Tojara,
Since you are going to be one of the three starting colonists, what item would you like to grab?
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Anime boxer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4224
Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara
Hrm, not knowing Rimworld for better or for worse, a pistol. Some other choice might be better but I can't avoid imagining a lot of blood and dead people with guns as we made our escape.
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 02:20 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
Episode 1: Terminal Velocity

The luxury space cruiser IIS Gygax was leaking a strange purple gas into the hard vacuum of space from multiple fractures in its hull. Interspersed throughout the floating debris was were objects of all shapes and sizes. Chairs, Baccarat tables, personal effects of the passengers and crew… and of course, the remains of many passengers and crew. Amidst the carnage two designated emergency abandonment drop pods floated, one such pod scrapping against a chunk of what used to be the Gygax’s port-side dining room, brutally jarring the occupants inside. Those same refugees could only impotently observe through their small window as they drifted in the ensuing hours, watching the ship rend itself to pieces in an ever expanding cloud of flotsam before they would slowly pulled in by the gravity of the planet below.

right-aligned image
EXO-1752C was a mundane planet all in all according to the star charts. Located in the far outreaches of civilized space, this rimworld was nothing to write home about. Nothing that is, if you aren’t in a tiny escape pod hurtling towards the planet’s surface at hypersonic speeds hoping to all the powers divine and mundane that the flimsy walls separating you and the searing heat of reentry would hold up both in transit and on the inevitable impact. Especially if said escape pod had spent the last few hours casually colliding with the bones of the IIS Gygax, and bathing in the corrosive substances of whatever had been leaking out of the doomed ship. Aside from the gut wrenching, mind numbing knowledge of a possible vaporization, the planet below looked almost pretty. You could even see the quaint little villages some of the natives had set up in their primitive way through the escape pod’s view port.

When impact came, the force of collision was enormous. Fortunately for the occupants, the escape pods had been equipped with simplistic landing jets that slowed the pods just enough to prevent fatality. Even so, the occupants blacked out for a few minutes after the initial “landing” from the shock of their brutally jarring descent. No one ever said the designated emergency abandonment drop pods were design for an easy ride. After a few moments of disorientation, the survivors emerged from their pods still smoking from their rapid descent.

left-aligned image
Two men emerged from the first pod, former passengers and likely related by the looks of them. The first to emerge had raven hair and a set of finely made clothes that practically screamed for attention. Fur, sparkles. The works. Shakily standing, Tojara reached into the escape pod and hauled another man out with matching hair and facial features; his brother KKristophDavion, who proceeded to get noisily sick on both the ground and his brother’s flashy shoes. Aside from the obvious sickness and a mess of bruises, neither of the two brothers seemed to have sustained any major injuries. A whining whimper from inside reminded KKristophDavion that his precious Yorkshire terrier Finn was still inside, a problem soon rectified.

Whether by fate, luck, or pure happenstance, another escape pod smoked nearby. Inside someone, or something, was frantically banging against the wall of the pod. Propping up his woozy brother against a tree while Finn frantically licked KKristophDavion’s face in an attempt to comfort his master, Tojara carefully pulled out his antique desert eagle from a hidden holster. Like the rest of his effects, the weapon was flashy; both chromed and laser etched. While the thing may have been antiquated by modern standards, it packed enough power to stop a moose in its tracks. A fact Tojara was well aware of as he leveled it on the second pod.

Easing up to the pod so he had a clear firing angle of anything coming out, Tojara leveled a hard kick at the half melted metal door of the pod staving it in. Exclamations came inside, and soon a third man emerged from the wrecked pod to find himself looking down the barrel of a rather intimidating hand gun. Were it not for his uniform, the mohawked survivor might have looked less than trustworthy. His position on the ship was readily apparent however, by the food stained apron he still wore and the oversized kitchen knife on his belt. After Tojara holstered his weapon, introductions flew and the newcomer identified himself as Lagging Savant. Seeing the escape pods quickly deteriorating into a heaping pile of slag, the chef had the presence of mind of mind to retrieve a small stack of freeze dried company issued rations, narrowly avoiding burning himself in the process. The guests of the luxury liner may have eaten luxuriously prepared meals, but the crew certainly hadn’t.

Having mostly recovered from his illness under the tender, and wet, ministrations of Finn, KKristophDavion soon joined the pair in surveying their surroundings and watching other chunks of burning debris streak to earth. It seemed that the trio had crashed in a dense jungle near a building of some sort. It soon became clear the building had been abandoned for some time given that the door had rotted away in the humid heat. A few brass fittings inside bespoke of the possibility of furniture at one point, but anything of use had deteriorated well past repair long ago. Not far away, a herd of wild pigs regarded the interlopers with wary interest, snuffling and snorting in their indignation and curiousity. Soon the sounds of the jungle began to return, birds squawked, bugs chirped, and elephants trumpeted in the distance. It was clear they were far far away from anything remotely resembling civilization.

They were well and truly on their own in a jungle full of wild creatures, and with… basically nothing beyond the clothes on their backs. Even the drop pods and been reduced to little more than slag. As the three stood there absorbing the lonely, dangerous reality of their new situation, Finn barked excitedly and ran in circles before locating and happily devouring the vomit KKristophDavion had carelessly left on the jungle floor.

After all, if the survivors wanted to keep on living on this Rimworld… Nothing could be wasted.

OoCWe have landed!

Feel free to make in character or out of character posts as you see fit. I will be progressing with the game later, but I wanted to stop and give you guys a chance to pipe in (or not) as you see fit. Have fun!

If you need some RP starters consider:
  • How you got to an escape pod
  • Reactions coming down to earth
  • Interact and RP with your fellow survivors!

Note: I mis-spelled your name Tojara in the screenshots. I will update it next time I get into the game though.

Last edited by Ion2Atom; Apr 24th, 2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: image wrapping
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:09 PM

Tools
User Statistics
"****."

The blaring klaxon of a soon to be dead ship rang with an eerie familiarity in KK's ears as he quickly hopped out of bed and strapped on his boots. The oddity of exactly what was going on didn't truly hit him until he rounded the corner out of his quarters to find... killer robots? All of his instincts were firing away as he dove back into his room to pick up his pack and dear old Finn by his scruff before one hallway after the other he ran through until he skidded into the back crew's quarters where the passage towards the pods lay. Seeing the carnage around him, KK began walking through the quarters cautiously, listening out for anything that may be hostile before creeping his way at the pods. They were... functional. Apparently none of the crew were able to make it to them as he found that all five were still intact and ready to fire. Shrugging, he simply opened up the door to one of them and placed Finn gently inside and then crawling in himself. Crew be damned, he would survive this one way or another.

______

KK lost track of the time as the pod hurtled it way down towards the planet. Readings showed that the EXO-1752C was far out the reaches of the normal federation, but close enough to be a potential resting point for longer hauls. While the eventuality of the length of his stay dawned on him, KK was ultimately more concerned with simply surviving the pod journey down, which was fraught with all manners of obsticals that threatened to take him down and depressurize him into the cold cold void just outside. He did his best to pay no mind, and with his breathing calming down and eyes closed he noticed that the beeping inside of his head to mark the time was now no longer just in his head, but also coming through the speakers of the pod itself. The thought of an imminent demise crossed his mind again as the pod counted down the landing from 30, before he blacked out from the sensation of the force upon his head...

If the landing was rough, he couldn't remember. All he could remember was the sickening sensation of waking up and know immediately that if he didn't get out he was going to go insane. Pressing frantically on the button to open the front hatch, the sweet relief of breathable, fresh air his KK's nose before he clambered out and ruined the smell by retching all over the ground. Looking up after a few moments of agony KK sees his brother, and another member of the ship standing off before stading back down again. The realization hit him, as soon as it probably now hit the others as well. They would be on this planet in all likelihood until their very deaths.

Looking around at the supplies around them, the trees, and the small building, KK sighed and picked up a small woodsman's axe, ready to get to work.

Old Jul 5th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
Lagging Savant Lagging Savant Lagging Savant
The Beast in the Kitchen

Lagging Savant was non-noncommittally chopping what looks like a potato and looking over at the passengers sullying about in the dining area. What drives these people, he wondered. Glancing across to see an older couple tentatively dipping into a pudding made from this same potato like plant he was chopping on.

Slice.. CHOP CHOP CHOP, slice... working up a rhythm that made the hundreds of cuts necessary that would feed all these tourists. Halfway through the last CHOP the lights went out, then back on in the kitchen. How odd he thought sheathing the knife into his hip sheeth as was the custom for the intern chefs.

Needing to finish this preparations for the evening meal he walked this bucket over to wash out the starch of the spuds. As he started the water, he heard a rustling in the common area and a scream. Leaving the water running quickly turned around and peered around the corner to see the horror that was taking over the ship.

It hadn't seen him, luckily, he had the sense to keep quiet and not draw attention to himself. The beast had enough interesting prey to keep it occupied as lagging savant walked back into the back room to enter the service elevator and go down into the storage room.

As the door closed to take him down, the beast had sensed his movement and torn into the kitchen, already tearing at the steel autodoor... *SCREEE* *SCREEE*. Metal claws tearing into the crack and attempting to widen just enough to skewer the cook inside.

The elevator shot down into the dark. The lights again dimmed and now flickered off. Having reached the bottom the emergency lighting flicked on casting an amber glow on everything in the storage room.

Tapping the navigation unit, it powered on lazily and spoke in a monotone voice "How may I be of service?" ... These droids were re-programmed to be simple waiters and order takers. This one will come in handy. Lagging Savant ordered "Carry these and Follow" ... Dumping a stack of rations that were sitting on the shelf nearby onto the unit.

The hallway was silent between the storage room and service crew escape pod. Making his breath and heartbeat ring loud in his ears. Thinking to himself those monthly safety Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training videos have really saved the day. How his friend always balked at those. ... Just then a great crash, from where the elevator must have been, resounded in the room he just left. Locking the door behind him the cook moved on towards the escape pod.

Having finished loading the rations into the pod he could hear the door in the storage room finally give way under the assault that was continuing for what seemed like an eternity. "Nav Unit, go charge yourself"... what he really wanted to say, was charge at that monster, but this will give him a few seconds.

Slipping into the pod and hitting the button to eject was his only hope. Another voice "Unable to comply... " A big red sign appeared throbbing above the door showing a seat with a belt across the person. ... "For the love of ..." Must have missed that part of the training video. Thinking back on the time he saved by skipping to the end of the video and answering C to all the answers of the multiple choice.

*CRASH* ... *SCREEEE* ... The beast was outside the pod crashing into it and tearing with metal upon metal.

Quickly buckling up and hit the button again. *SWOOOSH* .

The G forces must have knocked him out. It was already HOT ... too hot and a great buckling and spinning was taking place. Something wasn't right. Light from the planet was coming in through the window... then black speckled stars, then light, then black... it had an eerie strobe effect. The spinning... strobe. "Make it stop..." *urpp*

Just when he could no longer bear the tilt-a-whirl from hell, everything started to change, a whistling could now be heard as the roar from the fire surrounding the pod diminished. It started to cool down a bit.

The light above the door came on again, this time showing "Please return your seats to the upright position". *BING .... BING ..... BING ... BING. Bing bing bing..* the sound started to speed up. Oh great... ground radar says i'm about to hit.... *CRASH* ... darkness.

Not knowing how long he was upside down in the seat, he had the sense to cut the seat belt to get down. *Thud* ... He had no idea where he was or if the surface had consumed this little pod he started working at the door in a panic. "HELP!... Let me out" ... Finally after much cursing and sputtering and smashing... the door opens.

Last edited by Lagging Savant; Jul 5th, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 12:02 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
Episode 2: Beggin’ Strips

KKDavion was the first to size up the situation despite his recent bout of space sickness. Putting his hands on his hips, the man began calling out directions cool as a cucumber. "The first thing we need is shelter, then we need to secure a steady supply of food and water. You. Cook. Lagging Savant was it? Start by checking out the rafters of this abandoned building. Tojara and I will see if we can’t get some branches and brush to make ourselves a makeshift roof. Right ToeJam?"

Tojara shot a dirty look at his brother. "Remind me why I let you take the first pod? Jonghead. Don’t make me bust a cap in your… knee." Lagging Savant had a slight smirk on his face as the brothers jabbed back and forth, but he eventually complied with KKDavion’s “request”. The man seemed to know what he was doing after all, and hitherto nobody had paid Lagging Savant to think over much. Orders were orders, and old habits die hard. Scrambling up into the rafters, Lagging Savant soon found by trial, error, and more than one fall to the broken cobblestone floor, which ones were good or not. Meanwhile, KKDavion and Tojara busied themselves finding the best approximation of a hand axe that could be found. In this case, several large chunks of jagged steel that had once comprised Lagging Savant’s escape pod. It was certainly not the best tool for the job, but it was certainly the best available.

right-aligned image
*Chop Chop Chop* The makeshift hand axes rose and fell rhythmically hacking large chunks out of the slender trees around their nascent camp. "I wonder what kind of trees these are?" Mused KKDavion as he worked. "Cecropia dummy. Didn’t you learn anything in cub scouts?" replied Tojara with the acid tone only a younger brother could manage when one upping their elder. "Of course not, I was too busy making out with Janie Hotsamotti. I – Augh!" The cry of surprise caused Tojara to jump a full foot in the air, and was accompanied by fierce yapping and growling from Finn. Tojara felt something cold run down the bottom of his pant leg into his shoe as he landed, but that didn’t stop him. Whipping out his desert eagle, and waving it in the air, Tojara rushed to his brother’s aid.

The scene that presented itself was nothing less than comical. A giant boar with tusks the size of his fore arm and a bristly back hair was sniffing curiously at KKDavion without so much as an ounce of fear in its stance. Meanwhile, KKDavion had drawn back more than a bit in what could be charitably called “consternation”. Finn of course, was defending his master from this unknown creature’s terrifying snuffling with all the power its tiny frame; mainly shrilly barking rapidly at the thing that outweighed it many, many times over.

The brother’s eyes locked and KKDavion whispered in deadpan seriousness, "I see you found the marshy spot over there." Pointing at the thick goopy watery mud that had covered and overflowed into Tojara’s shoes when he had jumped in surprise. "Shut up Davion, I thought you were in trouble. Damn, its going to take forever to clean these now." Grumbled Tojara in response as he looked forlornly at the expensive shoes now soaked in marsh water.

Now smiling with a glint in his eye KKDavion assured his brother, "Ah, but I am in trouble. You see… I am in terrible need of bacon."

"Bacon?" Tojara asked in confusion.
"Bacon." KKDavion replied levelly.
"…Bacon…" Tojara uttered again, with KKDavion’s intent slowly dawning on him.

*Squelch*
Step *Squelch* Step. *BLAM*

From above a third voice chimed in, "Baconnnnn---! *oof*" as Lagging Savant fell once again from the rafters of the abandoned building in his excitement.

~~~~~

Not long after, the boar had been drug into the abandoned building and hung from the rafters to drain. The three survivors huddled around a newly created campfire, courtesy of Tojara, aglow with the success of their first task. It wasn’t long until the three began placing orders with their resident chef on how they wanted their bacon.

"Limp?" bellowed Lagging Savant, " You have got to be kidding me. If you don’t crisp it, then it won’t reach the peak of flavor, you might as well eat it raw if you want that. Like hell am I cooking limp and floppy bacon!"

"Who are you to tell me how I have to eat my bacon? I just don’t want it charred and crunchy. You’ll just cook out all the flavor. What, were you raised in a barn? Your mother probably —"

The cook’s wild left hook barely missed KKDavion, brushing his nose on its way by. That was just the beginning of a flurry of blows from Lagging Savant. Each one hit like a dump truck, but KKDavion blocked high, then low… deflecting blow after blow as Lagging Savant bellowed in between blows, "So what? Don’t talk about my momma that way! You giant ars-" KKDavion saw an opening just then and seized the opportunity by grabbing Lagging Savant’s arm and leveling three precisely placed punches straight into Lagging Savant’s chest. The cook could feel at least one of his ribs snap under the meticulously targeted punches. KKDavion then proceeded to yank the cook right over his left hip sending Lagging Savant to the heavily to the ground. Most men would have been furious at this point, but KKDavion had a face of stone as he looked down on his opponent.

Far from defeated, Lagging Savant sprang to his feet and spat blood onto the ground. Lagging Savant’s ensuing left punch was soon cooly captured by KKDavion, wrapping it under his right arm. With his right still free, Lagging Savant took the opportunity to throw a follow up right, which was likewise captured putting the brawling pair into a stalemate clinch. At least that is what KKDavion thought, but he was thinking in two dimensions. Lagging Savant on the other hand was thinking in three, and took the close proximity to slam his head into KKDavion’s face. Staggering back, KKDavion felt himself born to the ground. A protruding rock smashed painfully into his spine, causing him to roll and groan on the ground from the offending rock’s sneak attack. It was lucky for the stunned KKDavion that Tojara and Fiin took that moment to spring into the brawl. The small dog harried Lagging Savant’s ankles giving Tojara just enough time to drag the enraged cook away before any more serious damage was done. "You two are worse than my girls, acting a fool the both of you." With mutual glares the two separated to busy themselves elsewhere.

~~~~~

Tojara dabbed a bit of crushed leaves on a rag torn from KKDavaion’s own shirt, causing his brother to grunt at the sting. "You know I love you like a brother, but you’re an idiot KKDavion." grumbled Tojara as he administered to the cuts and bruises his brother had earned. "I am your brother" quipped KKDavion wryly, but Tojara ignored him as he continued, "You’re lucky to be alive, much less walking. I’m pretty sure you’ve dislocated something in your back, so don’t go around carrying anything too heavy for a little while." Looking pointedly at where Lagging Savant stood angrily butchering the hog they had killed earlier. Each flick of the man’s wrist sent the razor sharp, plasteel Mecha Ramsey Special Edition chef’s knife with decorative acid etching and a premium micro obsidian-diamond composite edge effortlessly through the pig’s flesh. Stroke after stroke carved off bit of ham for their upcoming meal. "If he had remembered that knife on his belt earlier…" Tojara observed quietly to his brother. "We’re going to be here for a long time, and odds are…" the flashy man looked from the old abandoned building to his own sweet soaked clothes, "We’re going to wish we smelled like a barn by the time this is all done. I suggest you do something to make this right." Standing up, Tojara grabbed the crushed herbal concoction and the rag and went to see if he could clean up Lagging Savant’s own collection of cuts and bruises.

KKDavion grunted at his brother’s back, "You’re even more annoying than usual when you’re right Toejam." Rubbing his chin, the injured brother considered exactly what their next steps should be.

GameI’ve been asked by a couple of people if I will be posting stats for the individual characters. I don’t intend on showing too much of the underlying guts and numbers of the game and plan on focusing more on the narrative that we build using this as a tool. I will share bits of backstory elements directly with the players of each character, and I will be dropping hints throughout about what each colonist likes are doesn’t like doing. This should build in some surprises for everyone, and discovery of what each colonist likes and doesn’t like will be part of the process.

Though we currently have people for our three active colonists, new colonists join quickly, especially during the beginning. Until we get more players onto our wait list, the colony will not be able to grow, so please consider !Signing Up

Last edited by Ion2Atom; Apr 24th, 2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6350
Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk
Looks fun! !Sign Up whenever a spot opens up.
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 04:25 PM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
Episode 3: In The Dark Of The Night

*Sszzzzz*

The rashers of bacon sizzled and crackled on the flat stone Tojara had found for KKDavion. The flashily accoutered brother naturally left the other to clean the heavy stone in the nearby brackish water as best he could. Fortunately the long jungle grasses helped clean off the stone the rest of the way with a bit of elbow grease. Elbow grease that sent more than one twinge of pain down KKDavion’s back. Still, the former luxury liner passenger had persisted with his task, and now was reaping the mouthwatering rewards. Gingerly snatching several pieces from the makeshift rock pan and ignoring the hot splatter of grease, KKDavion loaded up his prizes onto a scrap of fresh cut lumber. Turning to the not so abandoned building nearby, he couldn’t help but note the freshly cut wooden door, and the roughly thatched roof that Lagging Savant had put up recently. Say what you might about the mohawked man, but he was industrious. Thanks to him, they would have a secure shelter to sleep away the night in.

Walking into the building, KKDavion handed the plate of crispy bacon, just the way Lagging Savant liked it, to the nascent carpenter. Looking down at the heap of hay, hide, and wood Lagging Savant was working on, KKDavion remarked loudly, "That has got to be the worst bed I’ve ever…" Stopping himself, KKDavion started over speaking in a lower pitched voice that Tojara couldn’t hear from his vantage not far away. Whatever his brother was saying to Lagging Savant must be helping smooth things out by the look of things mused Tojara as he casually popped a bright red berry into his mouth. Lagging Savant seemed less tense, though surely the peace offering hadn’t hurt. At that moment, Tojara noticed an intruder sneaking up on the unattended bacon on the fire.

"Damn you Finn! Get away from that!" shouted Tojara as Finn leapt the last few feet and made off with at least a pound of piping hot bacon; spilling the rest on the ground. Under the shade of the abandoned building’s roof, Lagging Savant and KKDavion shared a chuckle as the diminutive terrier evaded capture long enough to gobble up his ill-gotten gains; much to Tojara’s unending ire. Giving up the chase as a lost cause, Tojara stalked over to his two companions and growled, "So much for bacon for dinner. It’s a good thing I found cranberries in the marsh." Lagging Savant and KKDavion shared a conspiratorial look as they both nodded in silent agreement, while KKDavian carefully nudged the makeshift wooden platter from earlier a few inches to the left and out of his beloved brother’s sight. Tojara gave a final grunt of dissatisfaction and frustration before muttering, "Dang dog, I could have used some fresh bacon…" as he started stomping his way towards the marsh where he had found the wild cranberries earlier. Suddenly turning, Tojara leveled a suspicious look at KKDavian and Lagging Savant. "Are you coming?" He finally asked in irritation, to which the pair only responded with tight lipped smiles concealing mouths full of hastily consumed bacon.

~~~~~

Living on a starship one becomes used to the abundance of artificial lighting and forgets the depths of darkness that descend in their absence. Absent just like on a rimworld planet like this one. With the sun set, darkness had cloaked everything and awakened a primal sense of fear only known by those completely isolated in the deep wild. Every shadow took the form of a wolf, bear, or three headed gamblik. The gamblik would even creak and growl, though of course the three surely knew it was only their imagination. Gambliks were only native to Serkrak, which was light years away in the core systems. That didn’t stop the three from warily eyeing the long shadows cast by their campfire before eventually reluctantly retiring to their new home to go to sleep.

Just as the three were about to doze off, KKDavion heard an ominous creaking and rustling from among the thatched rushes of the newly laid roof. Leaping to his feat yelling, "What was that? We’re under attack!" KKDavion seized Tojara’s precious desert eagle, and rushed outside to see what was invading their home. Tojara and Lagging Savant weren’t far behind, unsure of what threat had reared its ugly head. Whoever it was it was making a racket outside, the noise seemed loud in each of their ears. Rushing out of the building, KKDavion leveled his confiscated weapon at the interloper to find the most fearsome creature they had encountered to date. A small furry rodent calmly sitting on the thatch and nibbling a few bits of grass and seeds.

right-aligned image
KKDavion lowered his weapon in disgust, while Tojara remarked in annoyance, "A Chinchilla. We’re under attack… by a chinchilla." Slowing shuffling back into their makeshift barracks, the three sleepily returned to their rest, though Lagging Savant did take a moment to find a large rock and wedge it under the makeshift door. Their next midnight interruption came from Finn, barking like a mad dog at something outside. Once again the three jumped to attention to combat this threat. This time it was confirmed by Finn that something was lurking around outside. Something that smelled strange enough to alert and upset the dog. This time they couldn’t ignore the threat. Peering through the cracks, the three anxiously waited while something shuffled in the deep jungle underbrush.

Sharing a glance, the three carefully moved the rock and opened the door a crack to get a better view. Lagging Savant slowly raised his arm pointing towards a figure up in the trees. It was hard to see in the dark but the person watching them definitely had two arms and two legs. This was no animal, it was a humanoid thing, that was much too interested in the three survivor’s new abode. The crack in the door was too tempting for Finn and the diminutive pup rushed forward growling at whoever was watching them. Leaping from its perch the shadowy figure leapt with inhuman speed to the next tree over, and deeper into the forest with Finn tearing after him in hot pursuit.

"Tojara, follow Finn and that… thing… but be careful. Lagging Savant, you take the right, and I’ll take the left. If we see or hear something, call out, and Tojara, you come help us out." KKDavion snapped out as he issued orders for the pursuit of his beloved dog, and whoever had been spying on them. Spreading out, the three crept through the think jungle underbrush stalking their prey and following the yapping dog. Before long, there was a yip of pain from Finn followed by an inhuman screaming that sent shivers down their back.

Then silence.

Tojara held his position as he listened for either of his companions to call out or advance, but he couldn’t even hear them making their way through the jungle anymore. "KKDavion? Lagging Savant?" He called out as loudly as he could, but there was no response. He was alone. Stepping carefully forward, Tojara hefted his chromed desert eagle in clammy hands. Despite the heat of the night, he felt shivers run down his back. The jungle had gone quiet, absent its various noises and Tojara wondered what could possibly have happened to Finn. The dog’s barks had ended as well. Tojara’s eyes snapped forward at the sound of a crackling ahead of him. Something was rustling the leaves.

*Patter Patter* *Rustle*

It almost sounded like something was being stealthily dragged through the brush. Every horror holo-vid Tokara had ever seen ran through his head in that moment. He was alone, in a desolate area, his companions were likely already dead at the hand of the thing out there he—

*Bark!* *Bang!*

Tojara’s desert eagle fired with an echoing retorted as he jumped half a foot and shot in the direction of the offending noise with twitchy reflexes. The shot had gone wide, and Finn took that moment to poke his head out of the bush and bark at his master’s pack brother again. Wagging its tail in happiness, oblivious to his near miss, Finn dragged out something that looked similar to a chimpanzee. How the terrier had managed to kill the thing was unknown given its comparative size, but he certainly had. Finn couldn’t be happier with his prize. "Tojara are you ok?" Shouted a nearby Lagging Savant, and rustling from the other side indicated KKDavion was fast approaching as well. Looking down at the dog, Tojara could only shake his head.

Last edited by Ion2Atom; Apr 24th, 2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 03:13 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Looks fun !Sign up please