RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 AM
PSN : Nero3150

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 288
Neodragon315 Neodragon315 Neodragon315
I'm down for whatever you want to do, Zeppo. I just don't have ANY books yet. I did however buy my very first set of dice. I'm so happy.

Also: I bought the ring. Can't wait to give it to her.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57887
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
my two cents, focus on pathfinder. no books really needed, plenty of free OGL on the web.

just like 3.5, only better.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Mark W
is there any way to learn 3.5 that isnt so complex to a new member?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Well, learning any game is much easier by simply participating. Systems like 3.5e and Pathfinder have material available online, like listed under the Tools → Resources section at the top of the page. Pathfinder has more available online than 3.5e, so that is something to keep in mind as well. So my best suggestion, reads some of the source material and join a new player solo game, which you should be sure to ask the GM lots of questions.

-GT
Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 344
Invalid User Invalid User Invalid User Invalid User
Hey everybody! Just checking in. Home and bored on a saturday night. I was thinking of applying to one of the advertisement threads but i'm not sure what my Holiday schedule will be like. Any tips if I do decide to apply?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
You don't have to post everyday in the NPSG, so don't worry about a holiday schedule. If you don't post on Christmas Day or New Year's Eve, for example, it's fine.

As for tips, check out the Wandering Bard thread and the Character Creation thread for the game edition that interests you most, available elsewhere in the NPSG section. There is plenty of information to be had within them.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 344
Invalid User Invalid User Invalid User Invalid User
I've been looking at those and there is a lot of info there! I was thinking more specifically about applications for regular games, not the NPSG. There is a lot of competition on the advertisement board and I figured veteran DMs nice, and patient, enough to help here might have a few tips for drafting an application, as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
ajacks01
Greetings everyone - Looking forward to trying a Solo Game first. Thanks so much for offering that service (it's very generous of the DMs volunteering!)!

Can anyone offer insight into how CLOSELY DMs here will play to the rules and mechanics of Sourcebooks? I've played RPGs since I was a kid - on and off with friends, but the most we ever got accomplished was rolling up characters. As I got older, I would play more Solo and Computer Aided games (not MMORPGs, but the classic computer RPGs) - and really have a strong idea of the mechanics and statistics ... But one thing I don't keep up with is all the Sourcebook materials... there is so much to read...

I guess what I am really asking is ... Are there some flexible DMs looking to have fun? And some really hard-nosed rule-heavy DMs really playing to the 'dotted T' and 'crossed I'? Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13947
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
@ajacks01 - In most cases, DMs will state in their advert whether they plan to play it close to the letter of the law, or run a bit loosey-goosey for the sake of actually having some fun ^.^ There's definitely both out there, and everyone's pretty cool about it, so if in doubt, just ask!

Oh, and hey! Welcome!

@Invalid User - In the same vein, folks will usually provide either a template for their apps, or at least specify what they hold more important. For example, I usually ask for a completed character sheet to demonstrate your level of experience (or lack thereof), but then make it very clear that the vastly more important part is the characterization and background. Others may be more focused on making sure roles are filled. It all comes down to preference, really. Just pay attention to what your potential DM is asking for, and see if it meshes with what you want to do.

I would also recommend writing a new application for each game, as it's usually a good nod to the time and effort being invested by the DM to demonstrate that you put some time and effort into crafting your character. It hurts a little more when you don't get in, but I've found that particular outcome to be less common, and when you DO get in, you've got a much better jumping-off point!

Last edited by sammichweasel; 12-16-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
is there any way to learn 3.5 that isnt so complex to a new member?
play a 1st level fighter or sorcerer.

then, gain experience through play. Don't sweat that someone else has this build, or that feat, or this great thing: just take your PC one step at a time.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Dragon Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 91
dracoon
as dirkoth said don't sweat the little thing. you don't have to min max your first pc. just make on that looks interesting to you and roll with it as you play you'll start figuring out whats good and whats bad. Personally I find that that first kinda messed up caricature tends to become a players favorite.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5675
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Hey everyone just wanted to introduce myself. Im looking forward to playing a solo game here to test it out before I try for a big group. I have always played in person with my cousins but never play by post so Im looking forward to something new.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Welcome Totentanzen. The benefit of playing here instead of in person with family is you won't have as many people teasing you. Granted, after you've been gaming with the same online players for years, I won't say that my statement will hold any guarantees.

-GT

Last edited by Grogg Tree; 12-30-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
*sneaks up behind Grogg, and puts bunny ears over his head*

Yup, his exalted highness GT is right. Far less teasing here than real games. Also, if you smell something really rank while you are playing, you better check your house first, before you blame the guy who doesn't shower.

Unless, of course, you are in a game with Arucard. Then, anything that stinks is his. Guaranteed.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth
*sneaks up behind Grogg, and puts bunny ears over his head*
Don't make me hide your defibrillator and cane dirkoth.

See Totentanzen, teasing doesn't exist online.

-GT