twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2018, 11:53 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16178
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
PF shield fighter

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a shield fighter and wanted to clarify the rules on making my shield magic; just because it's a little ambiguous.

If I wanted to make it both good for defense and offense would I need to spend 1,000 on magic for ac and 2,000 for bonus on damage? Can I do both or would I have to pick to do just one?

I'm specifically trying to make a Brawler Shield Champion if that helps.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 12:28 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88207
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Shields: Shield enhancement bonuses stack with armor enhancement bonuses. Shield enhancement bonuses do not act as attack or damage bonuses when the shield is used in a shield bash. The bashing special ability, however, does grant a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls (see the special ability description).

So, yes, you have to pay for both: the ability to defend yourself with a magical enhancement, and the ability to use some magical enhancement for attacking.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 02:29 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
What's up, Dirk!

Oooh, I hadn't gotten to scrounging through specific enhancements yet. That makes this mess seem a bit less confusing.

Help me out then a little more.

Brawler enhances the damage of certain weapons, the light shield included, so the base for a light shield would be 1d8 (based on the Brawler's level of 10) instead of 1d4. When I add shield spikes the damage increases by one size and enhacing with bashing adds two sizes so now the weapon does 4d6 for a weapon bash. Does that sound right?

Also I picked up Improved shield bash as a feat figuring that it would allow me to keep the ac bonus even while throwing it since it says in the Champions description, " The thrown shield deals the same damage as a shield bash, and any damage increases from shield spikes apply to this attack. A shield champion is treated as having the Far Shot feat for the purpose of determining range increment penalties for throwing a shield.

At 7th level, a shield champion can use a thrown shield to perform a bull rush, dirty trick, disarm, reposition, or trip combat maneuver as if she were making a melee shield bash attack" *emphasis mine*
Am I just being optimistic or does that actually look like it would work?

improved shield bash
brawler
shield champion
damage increases by size

Last edited by Qiksilv; Apr 17th, 2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 01:41 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, I had some questions in my previous post but I was thinking a little more about the damage increases due to spikes and the Bashing ability. Between the two things it seems like the base damage Nevermind, I did a little more research and found the size increases wouldn't stack so at best I would get the two step up from bashing

the second half of the question still applies though.
rises by three sizes but does this merely increase the base damage or does it raise the new damage bestowed by the Brawler class?

At the very least it seems that shield spikes would apply but as I look closer I'm getting a bit more confused.

Close Weapon Mastery (Ex):
...When wielding a close weapon, she uses the unarmed strike damage of a brawler 4 levels lower instead of the base damage for that weapon (for example, a 5th-level Medium brawler wielding a punching dagger deals 1d6 points of damage instead of the weapon's normal 1d4)...

Throw Shield (Ex):
...The thrown shield deals the same damage as a shield bash, and any damage increases from shield spikes apply to this attack...

Last edited by Qiksilv; Apr 24th, 2018 at 02:12 AM.
Closed Thread