Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 549
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoByron View Post
This advert is generating considerably less interest than my previous ones have by this time. I assume the whole Vampire with mandatory Spheres may be somewhat niche and have somewhat less broad appeal.

We'll see if it picks up next week.
The mechanics are giving me some trouble. For example, is obtaining blood supposed to be difficult? Because it seems easy to get an unlimited supply. Just give a Cohort/Companion/etc Fast Healing, and drink to your heart's content. But I don't know whether you'd be okay with something like that. Does it trivialise something you wanted to be a major theme?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:26 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20125
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
The mechanics are giving me some trouble. For example, is obtaining blood supposed to be difficult? Because it seems easy to get an unlimited supply. Just give a Cohort/Companion/etc Fast Healing, and drink to your heart's content. But I don't know whether you'd be okay with something like that. Does it trivialise something you wanted to be a major theme?
You bring up a great point. This also helps me realize that the wording for the blood pool is somewhat clumsy and does not quite convey how it is meant to work clearly. This addresses part of the problem you outlined but not all of it. However, a vampire can never spend more blood points in a night than his total maximum blood pool no matter how much he feeds.

However, you are correct that a fast healing or regenerating cohort would easily provide all that a vampire needs. This would not grant unlimited Blood Points, since the vampire cannot spend more than his maximum in a day anyway, but it does make very easy.

Originally I was considering a different vampire template where feeding caused Constitution damage rather than just Hit point damage, so this would have been a far better limiting factor on how much you can safely drain a cohort or follower before this becomes a serious problem.

I will modifiy the bite attack of this custom vampire template so that it deals Constitution damage which can only be recovered through natural rest. This should make it somewhat more challenging to obtain regular sustenance.

I will probably also limit the number of followers characters can obtain through the use of Leadership so that the party isn't running around with access to hundreds of blood dolls at all times.

Also note that even if you take Leadership, you will not begin the game with a cohort or followers and will need to reccruit them in-game. The game will start with the characters having just emerged from their grave after 20 years of torpor (vampire long term sleep)

Thank you for pointing this out. It's something I missed when I downgraded the template to a less powerful one.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:35 PM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 897
Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante
Quote:
I will modify the bite attack of this custom vampire template so that it deals Constitution damage which can only be recovered through natural rest. This should make it somewhat more challenging to obtain regular sustenance.
That does make a good disincentive for using the bite too much on friendly creatures--does it raise new concerns about the bite being used in battle, though?
Old 02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
I have modified the Vampire Fangs ability to now read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Fangs
Vampire Fangs (Ex):*The vampire gains a bite natural attack that deals 1d6 damage (damage given is for medium creatures). If this attack damages a living corporeal creature (excluding constructs, elementals, oozes and undead), he can drink its blood by making a successful grapple CMB roll. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it maintains the pin. The vampire heals 5 hit points or gains 5 temporary hit points for 1 hour (these temporary hit points stack with themselves, up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to half its full normal hit points) each round it drains blood. If the Vampire gains 10 points of healing in this way, or gains 10 temporary hit points, its thirst is slaked for the night (see below). The Vampire also gains 1 Blood Point for every point of Constitution damage dealt by feeding.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
This advert is generating considerably less interest than my previous ones have by this time. I assume the whole Vampire with mandatory Spheres may be somewhat niche and have somewhat less broad appeal.

We'll see if it picks up next week.
You know me, I love pathfinder, and 8th is a great level to start (skipping the horrible 1-4 levels). But yes, the Vampire template thing is a bit more niche (but not off-putting), but for me, it's the spheres... I am just too old and too set in my ways to learn (try to learn) yet another system, on top of an already demanding Character (vampire template).

I could whip up my imagination for a PC, but I know I could never master the spheres thing.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
Too old? That's what I thought until I tried it. Now I just can't get enough, as the song goes.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 211
Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth
Definitely interested in this game. Took me a day to work out Spheres but it looks very interesting.
One thing though, looking at the rules for draining blood as they currently stand, it's going to be very easy to live on rats and other small animals.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Greenteeth View Post
Definitely interested in this game. Took me a day to work out Spheres but it looks very interesting.
One thing though, looking at the rules for draining blood as they currently stand, it's going to be very easy to live on rats and other small animals.
That's ok. I mean The Spell points from Spheres you normally get for free every day. Feeding will be an extra step. You still can't spend more Blood Points than your total Maximum Blood pool.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 PM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
You know me, I love pathfinder, and 8th is a great level to start (skipping the horrible 1-4 levels). But yes, the Vampire template thing is a bit more niche (but not off-putting), but for me, it's the spheres... I am just too old and too set in my ways to learn (try to learn) yet another system, on top of an already demanding Character (vampire template).

I could whip up my imagination for a PC, but I know I could never master the spheres thing.
If you were interested in the game but learning Spheres is holding you back, let me tell you that I would get a kick out of just helping you figure out how to use Spheres for your character concept. I love the system.

Also, I know someone who refers to himself as Old Fart Grognard who learned Spheres.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24658
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post

Quote:
Too old? That's what I thought until I tried it. Now I just can't get enough, as the song goes.
I feel the same way as Dirk about spheres, but this whole thing makes me think of this oldie but goodie

Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 AM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
It might be worth mentioning that LeoByron isn't expecting everyone to use Spheres classes (all the normal Pathfinder stuff is available). Only the Blood Pool is required to make use of talents from Spheres. In terms of the mechanical breadth of the character, it's a relatively small portion.

If you wanted to offer up something like, "I want my character's vampiric powers to center around [insert theme or classic abilities from vampire folklore here]," I'd be happy to pick your 8 talents and explain how you would actually use them as an exercise.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Name: Thistledown Shadowflight
Race: Human/Vampire.
Class: Unsworn Shaman
Intended Role: Utility
Alignment: Good
Spheres: Unknown at the moment.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:00 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6785
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
So very tempted to apply for this one! I'm nearly at my self imposed upper game limit.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:40 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
SOUPlex SOUPlex
Hadok

Name: Captain Hadok
Race: Half-orc/modfied Vampire template
Class: Barbarian
Intended Role: Damage dealer
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Spheres: Blood

Height: 6'10" | Weight: 320 lbs
Hair: long and black, tied in a high ponytail
Eyes: Dark Brown
Usual Attire: Soldier's armor and cape

Last edited by SOUPlex; 02-16-2020 at 01:42 AM. Reason: fix image
Old 02-16-2020, 02:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2801
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus

Name:
Race: See below, with the modfied Vampire template.
Class:
Intended Role: (Damage dealer? BSF? Skill monkey? Tank? Crafter? Blaster? Summoner? Debuffer? Buffer? Battlefield Controller?)
Alignment:
Spheres The Spheres you intend to choose. You will not be bound to this choice, I just want some idea of where you want to go.

Last edited by Rylus; 02-16-2020 at 02:30 AM.