Mechanics Character Workshop and Roller Room - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Descent: A dragon's tale
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30164
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
I just found this thread. My list of questions should have been posted here, and I see a few of my answers here already.

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
No worries.... this thread is only active on the start up, after that most everything happens in the OOC thread.
Feel free to post questions anyway - I'll find them!
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Raxavier - the gnome, the myth, the legend!
Dice Lets do this: [using: rstat2]
4d6kh3mod 5, 1, 5, 3 (keeping 3,5,5) Total = 13
4d6kh3mod 2, 3, 2, 3 (keeping 2,3,3) Total = 8
4d6kh3mod 1, 6, 2, 4 (keeping 2,4,6) Total = 12
4d6kh3mod 1, 6, 1, 2 (keeping 1,2,6) Total = 9
4d6kh3mod 1, 4, 3, 6 (keeping 3,4,6) Total = 13
4d6kh3mod 4, 4, 1, 1 (keeping 1,4,4) Total = 9
total modifier: 0

Old Oct 28th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9594
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Ouch...

Those are not friendly dice, pond...

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 28th, 2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
They could have been worse. I'll have a dragon, remember. Maybe his dragon will eat him and I'll get to try again.

Old Oct 28th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
I was just wondering because I've seen people roll 3-4 stats below 9! That's what I mean by bad rolls. That's why I was asking about the option just incase some one rolled like that.

I read that you have what's called sanity score. Could you please give an example of this. Sounds like an interesting ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoylen View Post
Oh, that makes sense... Yep, as a GM I'd probably step in with stats like that and ask for a re-roll or an array. No need to start a game with two legs and a hand tied behind your back!

A sanity score could come into play in several ways... you'll see when we begin play that your dragon and your person are so closely interlinked that should they become separated that the mental anguish could lead to erratic actions or to one or both of them becoming insane!

Bottom line... stay close to your person!

Or this might come into play...

On the other hand, we have honour and Sanity Stats too - which are also rolled. Maybe you'll get a pair of 18s there and be able to swap them around some?

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 28th, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
While I wish I had rolled better, I don't really mind as I knew the risks. I'm not trying to build an optimal character, but rather an organic one. I'm actually tired of trying to build the "best" character. I read guides about optimal builds and end up feeling like I'm doing something wrong if I choose the wrong thing. In a way, having crappy stats is liberating as I already know I won't be good at anything. Lots of things can happen to level the playing field in the career of my character. Much depends on the GM. Speaking of building a character, I think my sheet is done. (Here)

I made a few changes and adjustments to equipment and a few background things. Because you said no gold, I spent the 10gp I got as standard on a few things. With the remainder value, I just put it into a dragon egg care kit. I will post in the character thread later. I want to flesh out things a little more, now that I have a character sheet to work with, but I'm out of time tonight.

Last edited by Still_Pond; Oct 28th, 2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Sounds good... don't worry to much. Remember, this guy is going to be standing next to a dragon.

No one is going to notice.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
So Savoylen, we roll our Sanity and honour too? and We can swap them around with our other Stats if we want, right?
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpigeon View Post
So Savoylen, we roll our Sanity and honour too? and We can swap them around with our other Stats if we want, right?
* Your character (dragon and person) starts off with a standard score of 11 if you used the standard array.
* Your character (dragon and person) adds 3 points for each score during the point-buy.
* If you rolled ability scores, you also roll for the added ability scores.

LOL... nice try.

They are considered an ability pool. If you Rolled them, you can swap between the two, but not with the rest of the standard abilities.
If you did the point by you get 6 additional points to spread around all your abilities (including the new ones)
If you used the array, both your scores are 11.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Well then, let's see what happens.
Dice Sanity and honour:
4d6kh3 4, 3, 6, 2 (keeping 3,4,6) Total = 13
4d6kh3 5, 3, 3, 4 (keeping 3,4,5) Total = 12

Excellent 13 honour and 12 Sanity for theran

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Hm, I'm feeling like I'm missing something now (I realize you've had these rules up for a while, sorry for not asking further). I went point buy, so what I'm hearing I should have done is:

1) Take the standard array for the base six stats, plus honor and sanity are 11. That makes 8 stats total (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) + (11, 11)
2) Add any race-based or feat-based stat modifiers. So for me that went to (16, 16, 13, 12, 10, 8) + (11, 11).
3) now, on top of step 2, take 6 MORE points and spread them around those the 8 stats as you please. Presumably bound by the level-1 rule that nothing can go above 18.

Is that correct? If is it: spread three around the base six, plus another three around the (sanity, honor) cluster? Because I didn't do step 3 at all, if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoylen View Post
* Your character (dragon and person) starts off with a standard score of 11 if you used the standard array.
* Your character (dragon and person) adds 3 points for each score during the point-buy.
* If you rolled ability scores, you also roll for the added ability scores.

LOL... nice try.

They are considered an ability pool. If you Rolled them, you can swap between the two, but not with the rest of the standard abilities.
If you did the point by you get 6 additional points to spread around all your abilities (including the new ones)
If you used the array, both your scores are 11.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
The Standard Array and Point Buy are two different things, to my understanding.

For Point Buy, all your abilities start at 8 and you get 28 (34 including the points for SAN/HON) points to spend improving them. Since you took a Standard Array, you don't get the 6 points, since they were already spent bumping your SAN/HON to 11.

Point Buy costs are
Stat (pre racial adjustments)/Total Point Cost
8/0
9/1
10/2
11/3
12/4
13/5
14/7
15/9

So, for example, you can use point buy to get a Standard Array (with the two extra 11s), or you can Reeeeallly minmax and go 15/15/15/14/8/8/8/8. But don't do that.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 29th, 2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
That's helpful - I think it gets me most of the way to understanding, but not all the way. The standard array is actually equivalent to point buy. That is, the standard array costs 27 points. So, it's just the simplest option of the point buy system (since it's pre-listed in the PHB).

But if I'm understanding you correctly, I am able to "point buy" the standard array, and then take Honor = 9 and Sanity = 13. Which spends those extra 6 points that are confusing me.

Don't worry about min/maxing, that most certainly ain't my thing. I actually really like the gradient of abilities that the standard array provides.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
So, let's see if I've got this right. I've used the point buy for Trill. If I want to keep her scores as-is, at 27 points, I should take 11 each for sanity and honor?

If I want sanity and/or honor to be higher than that (equivalent of more than six points spent on them) I should take the difference out of one or more of Trill's existing ability scores?

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
Closed Thread