RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 18th, 2015, 01:53 AM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Player's Coffee Room

This is the place for all OOC conversations.

IN GAME OOC comments should be kept at a minimum and placed in OOC tags.
But here, you're really to speak freely as players!

- Enjoy, Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; Nov 23rd, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Congrats Still Pond! I just wanna say that I upvoted your app a week ago. I was voting for you before it was cool
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30164
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Thanks! I hope I don't let you down. I'm very glad to be included. I'm trying not to get too intimidated by this game and am focusing on why I applied - to have fun! I'm excited about this game concept, and am looking forward to where Savoylen (and us) take it.

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Should we be using this time to make character sheets? If so, should I pick a class or am I going to flesh that out in-game? If everybody else is starting with a class, then it would probably be best if I did as well.

I made a partial character here. Questions I ran into were the following:

1. How are backgrounds handled? Do we all have fairly identical backgrounds? I can see personality traits, ideals and flaws being unique to the individual, but bond and background special feature was a bit tougher for me.

2. How old are we again?

3. I'm assuming we start with no gold and no equipment other that what you will specifically give us. Is that true?

4. Are we free to choose a particular Deity, or are we too sheltered for that? Do we all worship the same, as was instilled in our minds from our overseers?

5. was the overseer relationship to us like this: (image)? Or is it less sinister? I was building my character concept a bit like it was the former - like a cult that took children away from their homes to bond them to dragons. However, it is also likely that it is an order of wise folk who save children and guide them to who they were meant to be. This doesn't matter so much for character generation, but I was just wondering.

6. It crossed my mind that 5e lacks physical descriptions for Gnomes, other than being short. For all I know, they could be rainbow colored like this. I didn't know if I was just missing it, or if their physical characteristics, (hair and skin color) were up to the player.

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I did the full-on level one character creation, including all background and equipment choices. If you look at my post, the name gives a link to the character sheet. I basically just flavored some options to suit the circumstances. For example, I took the sage background but flavored it (tentatively) as "wastrel nerd". I called an explorer pack "the stuff in my cave". I flagged those choices to Savy, and he seemed to approve.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Pond View Post
1. How are backgrounds handled? Do we all have fairly identical backgrounds? I can see personality traits, ideals and flaws being unique to the individual, but bond and background special feature was a bit tougher for me.
Gnomes Age Categories for our game
1 |Childhood | 0-25
2 | Adolescence | 40-64
3 | Adult | 65-99
4 | Middle Age | 100-132
5 | Old Age | 133-199
6 | Venerable | 200-560

Quote:
2. How old are we again?
I'd imagine you are near 25 or a bit younger

Quote:
3. I'm assuming we start with no gold and no equipment other that what you will specifically give us. Is that true?
You can hand any common or starting kit, class related item you can justify story wise. No gold yet.

Quote:
4. Are we free to choose a particular Deity, or are we too sheltered for that? Do we all worship the same, as was instilled in our minds from our overseers?
You are free to choose... it can come from what you remember from parents, overseer, the link to the dragon, or direct intervention. Its up to you.

Quote:
5. was the overseer relationship to us like this: (image)? Or is it less sinister? I was building my character concept a bit like it was the former - like a cult that took children away from their homes to bond them to dragons. However, it is also likely that it is an order of wise folk who save children and guide them to who they were meant to be. This doesn't matter so much for character generation, but I was just wondering.
Thats a good question that we'll need to answer ingame. For now, their motivation will remain a mystery, though you are welcome to describe your individual relationship with your overseer however you wish.

Quote:
6. It crossed my mind that 5e lacks physical descriptions for Gnomes, other than being short. For all I know, they could be rainbow colored like this. I didn't know if I was just missing it, or if their physical characteristics, (hair and skin color) were up to the player.
5e parralles some of the original DnD concepts. From 1977-1998, Gnomes were originally introduced to Dungeons & Dragons as a new alternative to dwarves, elves, and halflings. They were developed from mythology from a number of different sources, originally being a bearded, short race similar to halflings and dwarves. The gnome's niche in play was made magical, to separate it from the more warrior-like dwarf and the more rogue-like halfling

Last edited by savoylen; Oct 27th, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Ratpigeon! Congrats!
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9594
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Hello everyone

I'm going to roll my stats and work up a character sheet now - glad to get a chance to play what should definitely be a great game with you guys

Also, thanks Wynamoinen

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 27th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
I know what gnomes are from other editions, but I think 5e should stand on its own. So, RAW, gnomes are not described physically. Probably not the only race. It is interesting because it frees a player to invent stuff if they want to go against tradition. For my part, my gnome will look like a gnome, but without a beard. Well, maybe a little peach fuzz he tries to pretend is a beard.

Last edited by Still_Pond; Oct 27th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I know what gnomes are from other editions, but I think 5e should stand on its own. So, RAW, gnomes are not described physically. Probably not the only race. It is interesting because it frees a player to invent stuff if they want to go against tradition. For my part, my gnome will look like a gnome, but without a beard. Well, maybe a little peach fuzz he tries to pretend is a beard.
I like it! (You had me a little worried with the unicorn or rainbow stuff)
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 12:42 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9594
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
I think my character Sheet is mostly done...

I'm wondering a bit about the 'Discovery' feature of the Hermit background though - what exactly might I be able to do with that?

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, I should have probably mentioned this earlier. I am going to be gone for about 10 days starting on Halloween. I won't have internet access.

Old Oct 28th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Oh, I should have probably mentioned this earlier. I am going to be gone for about 10 days starting on Halloween. I won't have internet access.
Thanks for the heads up... I'm on a killer schedule until after 11/7, so no worries here. We'll be working on the set up and opening scene during this period.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Takes a sip of tea and settles at the table ...

Hi everyone! I'm glad to be here with Trill and her Intended. I hope to sing many glorious songs of our adventures together, and look forward to meeting our dragons.

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome GriffinSong!

We've got a nice mix of classes (though we're still missing a punching bag / DPS person) and backgrounds / motivations / alignments. Should be good!