Mechanics Character Workshop and Roller Room - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Descent: A dragon's tale
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
That's roughly what I'm trying to figure out. I believe the answer is: you either

1) roll for stats, or else
2) you get 27 points for basic-six stat buy, plus 6 points for honor + sanity point buy.

The least complicated version of option 2 (the "default" option) is to take standard array + (11,11). So (if my interpretation of Ratpigeon is correct), you can't swap points between the 27 and the 6, since they're separate point pools.

One of my points of confusion is: the standard array IS a point-buy option, so it sounds silly to artificially restrict Honor + Sanity to (11, 11) if I happened to take the standard array on the base-six stats (which I did). Like, as long as I change an (8, 13) combo to (9, 12), which has no mechanical impact, then I'm free to fiddle with Sanity and Honor? That seems needlessly restrictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post
So, let's see if I've got this right. I've used the point buy for Trill. If I want to keep her scores as-is, at 27 points, I should take 11 each for sanity and honor?

If I want sanity and/or honor to be higher than that (equivalent of more than six points spent on them) I should take the difference out of one or more of Trill's existing ability scores?
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Yep, sounds reasonable to me that honor and sanity are a pool of 6, while abilities are a pool of 27. Separate pools. I'm sure Savoy will chime in eventually on it to be absolutely certain, but I'll work on that assumption for now. I'm not clear which will be more important or in-character for my pair yet, so will sit with the default of 11/11 until I know more about what they're used for.

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
By the way, I completely agree about the standard array. It's basically just an example of a point buy, and that's how I tend to think of it. I've only rarely seen a game restricted to one standard array for all characters, though it does happen. One of the things I LOVE about point buy is that I can craft the character that I've envisioned in my head.

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30164
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Dice Sanity and Honor:
4d6kh3 6, 3, 1, 4 (keeping 3,4,6) Total = 13
4d6kh3 2, 4, 2, 6 (keeping 2,4,6) Total = 12

Old Oct 29th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
Nice!

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
OK, great. I'll wait for Savy to give final approval, but I think we're all on the same page. As a matter of background / fluff, I think it makes sense for Amaury to be low Honor, high Sanity. Since I also don't know when and how these stats will be important or useful, seems like I have no better basis than character development to pick that combo. But what better basis is there anyways?
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
OK, great. I'll wait for Savy to give final approval, but I think we're all on the same page. ...
Humm... all good points. I don't have a strong option on this, so I'm happy to go with the table consensus.

I just need someone to re-write what I need to put in the mechanics section to replace what I have - basically codifying it for the future.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
I'm having problems finding where you stated the rules for generating stats. But here you said
Quote:
Because of the strict code of honor between dragons and between dragon-touched your characters will have an honor score.

The connection between dragons and bonded is so strong that it it causes some dragons (or their people) to go insane. You will start with a sanity score as well.

For both scores, follow these guidelines:
* Your character (dragon and person) starts off with a standard score of 11 if you used the standard array.
* Your character (dragon and person) adds 3 points for each score during the point-buy.
* If you rolled ability scores, you also roll for the added ability scores.

If you are wondering, for creatures that don't have these scores we use Charisma for Honor and Wisdom for Sanity.
Unless there's a better place to put it, I'd just turn that post into a full "stats generation" post, along the lines of
Quote:
You have two stat blocks. The first block is the standard six stats (STR, DEX, etc). The second block includes the special stats of Honor and Sanity. In creating your character's stats, you have two options.

1) Roll your statistics. You generate your base six stats by rolling 4d6, dropping the lowest die, six times. Place those 6 wherever you please among your base six stats. Then, seperately, roll 4d6, dropping the lowest die, twice. Place those as you want in Honor and Sanity.

2) Point buy. As described in the PHB, all your stats start at 8, and you can spend 27 points to increase your base six stats. Notice that the Standard Array is one option under the point buy system. Then, separately, your Honor and Sanity both start at 8 and you have 6 points to spend on raising those two stats. As usual, you can not "buy" stats higher than 15.

Whether you choose option 1 or 2, after you've determined your stat values, you then apply racial and feat-based modifiers. If you rolled your character stats, you will also roll dragon Honor and Sanity. If you took point buy, you will "buy" your dragon's honor and sanity by spending 6 points as well.

If you are wondering, for creatures that don't have these scores we use Charisma for Honor and Wisdom for Sanity.
I'm not 100% sure that those are accurate (especially the stuff about dragons), so you should verify. Feel free to modify or clarify this as you like
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
Looks great ... kudos!!!

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9594
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Wonder who will get picked today?

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 29th, 2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
@Wynamoinen:: Looks great... I'll get them posted (somewhere)

@Ratpigeon:: Time is coming up soon! I'm excited to see who it is too!! (I've been surprising myself) - we had so many GREAT applications. Its getting very hard to pick.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Personally, I'm hoping that one of the fighters gets in -we need some muscle, and I thought they were both really good apps

Anyway, I asked about it in the coffee room,but since most mechanical questions are addressed here, I was just wondering about the 'discovery' feature from the hermit Background - what sort of things can I do with that?

Edit: I've looked at about 100 suggestions online, and done some thinking - I'm considering swapping out the Hermit bonus language for Alchemy Tool Proficiency, and it says that 'Herbalism Tool Proficiency is needed to brew Antitoxins or Healing Potions' in the book. Maybe my discovery can be how to actually brew some minor potions, like the Healing/Antitoxin examples? Because with Medicine, Alchemy and Herbalism proficiencies, if anyone can brew potions, it's Theran,

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
I figure my dragon has muscles.

I haven't really had the time to go through the apps to decide who else I'd choose ... I figure this way I'll be surprised and amazed when the next person shows up.

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
We get Kharis the elven monk muscle and another really good backstory.

And 1-3 slots left...

Last edited by Ratpigeon; Oct 29th, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
Ooh, now that app I DID read and liked very much.

Welcome QuilledNinja!!!

Here be dragons ...
Closed Thread