Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Game Rules
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1971
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Pathfinder combat things?

So I am interested in this Final Fantasy TTRPG but I was never familiar with combat in Pathfinder. I look at the monster stats and I really don't understand what is what? What I dont get is:

1. What is the monsters attack and how to determine it?
2. How does one calculate damage??
3. How do criticals work again?

The only system I've done had it as a simple 'If stat X beats stat Y, the difference = damage dealt' so this is kinda confusing

Monster reference if someone can help: http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/goblin.html
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6649
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Basic d20 combat: simplifying and not including the calculation to get to these numbers for now. That can come later.

Player Bob StatsInit +0
HP: 23
Defense:
AC: 16
Fort +3 Reflex +1 Will +1
Offense
Shortsword +2 attack 1d6+1 damage

Player Bob walks around a corner and sees Goblin...time to fight.
Step 1: Who goes first?
Each rolls 1d20+<Init> to determine initiative.
Bob rolls a 5 (+0 = 5); Goblin rolls a 2 (+6 = 8) :: Goblin goes first

Step 2: first attacker
Goblin runs down the hall at attack Player Bob
GM roll attack for Goblin; choosing to use melee instead of ranged.
Melee stats: Shortsword +2 (1d4/19-20) = when Goblin attacks with the shortsword he gets an Attack bonus of +2; if he hits he does 1d4 damage, if he rolls a natural 19 or higher it is a crit that does double damage

Goblin rolls a 12; +2 attack bonus = 14.
Compare this to the Armor Class (AC) of Player Bob, which is 16, means Goblin misses and does not damage.

Step 3: other attacker
Player Bob is idiotically ecstatic for not getting his and attacks back, using the same method using his own stats.
Player Bob rolls a 14; +2 attack bonus = 16.
Compare this to the AC of Goblin and it meets (or beats) the 16. He hits, now he does damage.
He rolls 1d6 to get a 4; +1 per his stats for a total of 5 damage done to Goblin.
Goblin's HP are reduced by 5 down to 1, painful but he is still standing.

Now Goblin attacks...then Player Bob...etc until finished.

Those are the (very) basics of all d20 combat...and most of d20. Roll 1d20 + whatever bonus and compare to target number.

-me
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_wolven View Post
Basic d20 combat: simplifying and not including the calculation to get to these numbers for now. That can come later.

Player Bob StatsInit +0
HP: 23
Defense:
AC: 16
Fort +3 Reflex +1 Will +1
Offense
Shortsword +2 attack 1d6+1 damage

Player Bob walks around a corner and sees Goblin...time to fight.
Step 1: Who goes first?
Each rolls 1d20+<Init> to determine initiative.
Bob rolls a 5 (+0 = 5); Goblin rolls a 2 (+6 = 8) :: Goblin goes first

Step 2: first attacker
Goblin runs down the hall at attack Player Bob
GM roll attack for Goblin; choosing to use melee instead of ranged.
Melee stats: Shortsword +2 (1d4/19-20) = when Goblin attacks with the shortsword he gets an Attack bonus of +2; if he hits he does 1d4 damage, if he rolls a natural 19 or higher it is a crit that does double damage

Goblin rolls a 12; +2 attack bonus = 14.
Compare this to the Armor Class (AC) of Player Bob, which is 16, means Goblin misses and does not damage.

Step 3: other attacker
Player Bob is idiotically ecstatic for not getting his and attacks back, using the same method using his own stats.
Player Bob rolls a 14; +2 attack bonus = 16.
Compare this to the AC of Goblin and it meets (or beats) the 16. He hits, now he does damage.
He rolls 1d6 to get a 4; +1 per his stats for a total of 5 damage done to Goblin.
Goblin's HP are reduced by 5 down to 1, painful but he is still standing.

Now Goblin attacks...then Player Bob...etc until finished.

Those are the (very) basics of all d20 combat...and most of d20. Roll 1d20 + whatever bonus and compare to target number.

-me
Thanks BUT what is Attack Bonus then? What about that +1 the Goblin has in Attack Bonus?
Old 11-02-2017, 01:32 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Combat in full:

Short version: Melee Attack Bonus is calculates as: Base Attack BonusBAB + Str mod + other bonus [feat, feature, abilities, etc].
For Goblin, this It looks like they calculated incorrectly or didn't show all bonuses in his stat blockshould be: 1 (BAB) + 0 (Str bonus) = +1

Here is a link to the full rules for Combat. The top is a Table of Contents, so you can click through easily.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat

-me
Old 11-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Combat in full:

Short version: Melee Attack Bonus is calculates as: Base Attack BonusBAB + Str mod + other bonus [feat, feature, abilities, etc].
For Goblin, this It looks like they calculated incorrectly or didn't show all bonuses in his stat blockshould be: 1 (BAB) + 0 (Str bonus) = +1

Here is a link to the full rules for Combat. The top is a Table of Contents, so you can click through easily.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat

-me
Yeah, see, no matter what, my question isn't really getting answered. I'm basically being told its there for absolutely no reason
Old 11-02-2017, 06:59 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
The +1 for the Goblin?
That is there as his base ability as determined by his Hit Dice.
The reason it does not follow what it should (saying +2 rather than +1) is likely a misprint.

-me
Old 11-03-2017, 03:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
The +1 for the Goblin?
That is there as his base ability as determined by his Hit Dice.
The reason it does not follow what it should (saying +2 rather than +1) is likely a misprint.

-me
So are you saying the +1 was meant to be +2?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10995
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
The goblin is Small size. Small creatures get +1 to attack rolls.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:28 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
ah AH...forgot that one.

As Zeither said, small creatures get that bonus.

Attack Bonus = Base Attack Bonus + Str Mod + Size Mod + Feat/racial/other
For the Goblin, this is +1 for BAB and +1 for size.

The Base Attack Bonus is determined by the number of Hit Dice you have from being a monster or classes. Goblin has one Racial Hit Die; thus +1 BAB.

-me
Old 11-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
So how does the math go then? @~@
Old 11-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10995
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
If the goblin goes to attack something, it rolls a 20-sided die (the core mechanic of the game), then adds its Base Attack Bonus (+1), size bonus (+1), Strength bonus (+0), and any miscellaneous bonuses (+0). This "1d20+2" result is then compared to the opponent's Armor Class (on their sheet, 16 in JJ's example). If the total matches or beats that Armor Class number, then the goblin deals damage. It looks at the weapon it's using, which says "1d4" and then adds its Strength modifier (+0) and any other bonuses (+0) for a total of "1d4". A four-sided die is rolled, and the result is the damage dealt to the target, subtracted from its current Hit Points.

This is a very simple example, but it gives the basics. There are countless circumstances that might complicate the math, but once the core of the system is understood, the other layers become more second nature.

THIS PAGE explains it all in the official language.

Last edited by Ziether; 11-04-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
If the goblin goes to attack something, it rolls a 20-sided die (the core mechanic of the game), then adds its Base Attack Bonus (+1), size bonus (+1), Strength bonus (+0), and any miscellaneous bonuses (+0). This "1d20+2" result is then compared to the opponent's Armor Class (on their sheet, 16 in JJ's example). If the total matches or beats that Armor Class number, then the goblin deals damage. It looks at the weapon it's using, which says "1d4" and then adds its Strength modifier (+0) and any other bonuses (+0) for a total of "1d4". A four-sided die is rolled, and the result is the damage dealt to the target, subtracted from its current Hit Points.

This is a very simple example, but it gives the basics. There are countless circumstances that might complicate the math, but once the core of the system is understood, the other layers become more second nature.

THIS PAGE explains it all in the official language.
Thanks for explaining, that actually helps. And I did read that, thats why I was so confused