Game Thread Chapter 1: The Sunken Citadel - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Tales From the Yawning Portal
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
strazco
left-aligned image
looking into this shop of curiosities made strazco excited. Though experience had tought him not to get to close. "Golden apples thoughs sound interesting. From what I have found apples tend to be dangerous. Why would the paladin wish to seek it? I must say cookie that's a wonderful name is there a reason for it?"
Old 03-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 621
Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo

Dupet starts to write down notes of all the concoction Corkie is working on. At the mention of goblins her face turns to a snarl and her writing becomes more aggressive until she finishes almost ripping the paper.. her hand trembles. She tucks everything away and silently walks around Corkies work area. Breathing in the fumes, feeling the crunch of herbs in her hands and listens to the bubbling of potions. Her interest comes back into the conversation with the golden apple.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 902
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Corkie looks at the elf and shakes her head while she is thinking. "Belak, yes that was his name. A druid I believe; He traveled alone except for a large pet tree frog. A strange human this Belak. He traveled to the Citadel several years ago and was never seen again. But I believe that he knew about the Apples. Each year the goblins bring one perfect Golden Apple and the town pays them 50 Sovereigns. It can cure any ailment- how I do not know, but it does. The Apple rots in a few weeks, so if no one is deathly ill when the town buys it, it is sent to Neverwinter and auctioned off. Usually it would bring back 5 or more times what the town paid. Money that meant the poor farmers aren't taxed to pay the salaries of the constable or the mayor. Anyway, this year the goblins failed to show at the appointed place so no Golden Apple was bought. The mayor is worried since last year we had to use it on Mistress Gertrude since her illness was beyond my ability to cure it. Not making a profit two years in a row, means the mayor has had to dip into the reserve funds so as not to raise taxes. I think he has some fool notion of wresting control of whatever tree grows the Golden Apples from the goblins. But you would have to talk to him about that- I have no use for tomfoolery."
Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Oakhurst
right-aligned image
The dwarf grunts at the notion insinuated by the gnome, Corkie. "And I suppose we're just supposed to surrender this tree to the Mayor after we do all his dirty work?! Since I'm so nice, maybe I'll sell apples to Oakhurst for 49 Sovereigns."
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Corkie looks at her fellow gnome and talks in gnomish, " See, this is why it's tomfoolery. Mercenaries are mercenary by nature.Féach, is é seo an fáth go bhfuil sé ag dul ó thuaidh. Tá nádúirí mearbhall de réir an dúlra.-"
Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 295
DukeofCorpus DukeofCorpus DukeofCorpus

Okatar had been at the jars of full of herbs on the back shelf. Some of them he was familiar with and had used multiple times while working at a particular poultice or brew. Some he had heard of or had seen his master use. And others he had never seen before.

"The name Belak sounds familiar to me. Maybe my Master mentioned him, but I can't remember what for " Okatar's face scrunches up as he tries to recall when he had heard that name.

" Maybe it'll come to me later. That's usually how I remember stuff." turning back to the jars of herbs "This is the most fantastic display I think I have ever seen. My master knew a lot about herbs, but this is beyond even what he knew...I think. Perhaps one day you could share what you know with me? As for the tomfoolery with the apples, when man messes with nature he doesn't understand, it never ends well for man"

Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Dupet shares the gnomish look with Ms. Corkie. She then turns to the party, “well.. we don’t exactly know what the mayor is asking for anyway. If he is going to pay us to retrieve the tree, a tree that grows 50 monies must be worth far more. That’s the business!”

She turns to Corkie and speaks in a sly tone in gnomish, “I wouldn’t mind taking a look at the magical properties of that apple either am I right?”

Turns back to group, he creates an illusion of a spinning dial, ”blacksmith then the Mayor’s?” Dupet starts to realize she has no trouble speaking. At least for now she feels comfortable. She smiles wide to herself until she starts to panic spiraling into her own anxiety hole.

Last edited by Desteplo; 03-06-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1866
ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov
left-aligned image
A quiet "Oooh" was let out by Desna when the Gnome released her snark on Skov. "Come on, Skov. We just arrived. We should try to find what we share in common, it's the first rule of The Guide, see?" she showed him the first page, where between many notes and doodles said "1. A famous Gnome named Stanislavski once said that to truly understand each other, no matter how different we are, we should always try to find the common traits we share and build upon that a solid foundation for teamwork and companionship." Next to it, there were doodles of Skov and Dupet with little comments such as: "Skov - drinking buddy?? Grumpy ;( Dupet - magic! Dark?? Loves animals <3"

"So what exactly is the village's relationship with the goblins? If they come to sell you the apples, why would the twins go fight them? Isn't that going to worsen your relationship with the tribe?"

"Visiting the Blacksmith does sound like a good idea."

Last edited by ZazoAndrov; 03-06-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Dupet looks at the doodle and is flattered, then as she’s reading her comments Desna pulls the book away, more because she’s mostly talking to Skov. Her head floats after the page but doesn’t push her curiosity. Journals are a private place. She then comments in a whisper, “If it’s a peace treaty or something, I don’t imagine having monsters nearby is by choice. Maybe not selling the Apple was a sign of bad faith? Or at least a reason for a prideful paladin to charge in with some budding adventurers... speaking of.. who’s this ranger that went with them? I shouldn’t be surprised that a town like this is where people retire from worldly travel.” the image of an old man resting his weary bones on an arm chair appears in a miniature cloud bubble next to Dupets head. The old man stands up holding the massive great sword she saw in the tavern earlier cutting the illusion in half. She startled herself a little causing the illusion to fade.

Last edited by Desteplo; 03-07-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Answering Desna, Corkie says, "The goblins are a bunch of bandits- it's one of the reasons the old road fell in disuse. How they came by the Golden Apples I cannot say. What I can say is, they don't sell it to us because we love each other. They sell them for the same reason we do- to make a profit. As to the twin's motivation- who knows. Probably thought Sir Bradford was some great adventurer and it would be a lark. Jonas, was the leader of the band that included Garrin who went off to find adventure. Him and Garrin were the only two of the six to come back. Anyway, Jonas took it upon himself to protect the countryside since Neverwinter doesn't send soldiers this far out anymore. Jonas must have known he was dying because he took Karakas as his apprentice. Anyway, after Jonas died Karakas began patrolling he countryside. He happened to be in town getting supplies when Sir Bradford and the twins set out, so I think he went along to safeguard the twins. I am pretty sure he had no interest in 'grand adventures'."
Old 03-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Oakhurst
right-aligned image
Hearing that the pair Jonas and Garrin had returned alive, Skovauld snorts in derision. "Shame on them for leaving their brothers-in-arms to die to the torment of their enemies. A dishonorable duo if ever there was. Yellow bellied bed wetting milk drinkers!"

While the dwarf may be a harsh individual, he did possess certain morals he would never waver from, including an unshakable sense of duty in completing tasks and protecting allies.

Last edited by tomplum; 03-07-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 295
DukeofCorpus DukeofCorpus DukeofCorpus

Okatar patted his ferocious companion on the shoulder. " I agree. It makes my blood boil to think of leaving behind friends who trusted in you. But Master always said we should try not to judge people unless we walk two miles in their skin. " He grimaces at his statement before quickly stammering out "I....I don't mean cut their skin and wear it like clothes. Just trying to see things from their eyes...er...way of lookin' at things."

Running his hand down his long goatee " We, uh, better get going. " He said somewhat sheepishly embarrassed to have seemed like a blood thirsty orc everyone always expected him to be.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
strazco
left-aligned image
Strazco puts his arm on the dwarf "let's go Oakhurst it is better to help these people than discuss honor with the gnome. Sometimes those who retreat are needed to tell the stories of the fallen. I have heard many great tragedies from similar cicumstances."
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1866
ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov
left-aligned image
"Don't worry Okatar, you are heading in the right way! We should indeed try to see things from their perspective. And we don't know what danger they faced. The innkeeper didn't seem like a man who would just leave a fight, only because he got punched once or twice." Desna gave Okatar a fist-bump on the shoulder. Then she turned to the gnome cleric: "We thank you for all of the information Corkie. We are going ahead to see the Smith and then talk with the mayor about the details on the job."

She gave another gaze of admiration to the words on the glass. "Where are these from? Are they from a book or maybe from a great Sage?"

Last edited by ZazoAndrov; 03-08-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Dupet is looking at Corkie with a smile. Realizing she’s been staring she shakes her head, closes her eyes and takes one last long sniff of the apothecary. “Thank you so much Corkie, for reminding me there’s a friend in every corner of the world and all the information. I heard you ride Xander from time to time when helping the farm outskirts. Animal problems Or sicknesses? she asks for a short answer as she had taken up enough of Corkies time and hospitality. Afterward she starts heading out with the rest of the group.

Last edited by Desteplo; 03-08-2018 at 04:59 PM.