twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-08-2015, 12:59 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14775
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
So, I know we don't even have everyone reporting for duty yet -- three of five character threads up and Osse AWOL altogether -- but I've gone ahead and posted up the game thread. Do not feel under any obligation to post there yet, but feel free if you're eager to get underway.

I'm fine with people posting atmospheric roleplay repeatedly as we settle into our characters; once everyone's posted at least once, I'll move us along to the next phase, which I anticipate to be about 4-5 days later.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Hmmm.... do we have matching uniforms? Mess kits? Army-issued tents, or any other equipment not delivered from our backgrounds?

Is there a quartermaster for "personal items" to purchase either above or under the counter?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 AM
Orange Pirate
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9079
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
I'm sorry. My flight got delayed last night, due to a storm. Just woke up. I'll be working on my character sheet as soon as I've had breakfast.

Thanks for picking my character. Looking forward to fun times.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 AM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

I've been working on life-job stuff (outside of work) today and part of tomorrow. Buh.

Am keeping an eye on the site, though, and will try to get back to writing before long!

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”
Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I'm acting all impatient but really I'm not. I'm glad to see everyone here and we will be rolling along in an informal but steady fashion!

Gear: let's talk about specific arms and armor on an individual level, but you can figure that each of you has half a tent (three halves could be rigged into a larger tent) and some bedding, a tinderbox, a mess kit, a tabard, and if you want one, a spear. You have a backpack. Most of the company's gear is on one of the two carts: cooking gear, foodstuffs, dining tent, and a variety of miscellaneous crap from which anything reasonable to have on hand might be produced.

There's a unit quartermaster, who minds the carts, but she's not in our squad, and her authority is as small as her corruptability is large.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Orange Pirate
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Is that all we've got or do we add all of those to our Monk for meclass + Acolytebackground starting equipment?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, add class and background. If there's additional gear you'd like to request, or upgrades, talk to me. It seems apparent that I won't be handing out magic items or full plate but we can talk.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
I'd like Rhessa to have an arcane focus - ideally something reflecting her attunement to cold and air and lightning. Perhaps a necklace with a clear crystal?

Additionally, especially since the food scarcity, Rhessa would have paid a fortune for some spices from the quartermaster.

While she can (and will) enchant food to be spiced via Prestidigitation, that's just not satisfying.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21139
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Just out of curiosity Osse, how are you getting 16 AC? (it kinda looks like you added your dex in twice for unarmored defense).

Equipment wise, I would rather trade in the two shortswords for a long sword and extra quiver if that's OK. (I also wouldn't mind a shield, but GP wise, that makes the trade value I'm getting a little higher than the value of the two shortswords).

Armor wise, eventually I will be looking to get a Breastplate, but at 400GP that is a little to expensive to be starting with I would guess.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I'm pretty bad at auditing sheets even in rules systems that I know well, so I appreciate folks looking out for each other as best you can. It occurs to me, sadly, that "rules systems that I know well" is a very paltry category these days.

Your trade seems fine, Bhelogan. I think a shield is not too much to ask, either. Breastplate is a nice goal.

The arcane focus (crystal) is fine, and spices of course are a fun gold sink.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I should add: the DMG makes it seem like level 3 characters should have no more than they started with, which seems odd to me. There's no wealth-by-level to check myself against, but an extra 10-50gp in gear is clearly not unreasonable. I'm worried about being too generous, but once the game starts going and I see how we stack up against various encounters, my confidence will grow.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Orange Pirate
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Just out of curiosity Osse, how are you getting 16 AC? (it kinda looks like you added your dex in twice for unarmored defense).
Oh good catch. I didn't understand unarmored mechanics before. Thanks. Changing it now.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 PM
salty old cur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
DM - Sheet done.

For better or for worse, I honestly didn't pay much attention to, as King Robert would say "Counting Coppers." I gave Marack what I think he'd reasonably have, what he'd reasonably carry (given that he's in an army and not soloing it in the woods), and gave him some spending money.

I customized Marack's background. I think most is uninteresting. But I did want to ensure you knew about this:

---
- Feature: Practical Expert in Defeating Undead (Thayans threw a lot of undead at Neverwinter; Marack, like every other able-bodied man, got pretty good at fighting them; knows what weapons work and don't, behaviors, control styles, etc.; once daily can adjust an attack roll he makes against undead or an attack roll undead makes against him by 2)
---

A background feature with a combat bonus, even as a daily, is a bit unique. I don't its necessarily unbalanced, but that's not really my call. How this campaign will likely favor 'rollplay' (+2 daily used more often) more than 'roleplay' (other background features used more regularly) may make it unbalanced even if wouldn't be unbalanced in other campaigns.

So let me know. We could rework it as 'Expert Undead Tracker/Scout' and his feature be being able to identify undead types and numbers at distances and via tracks and otherwise just know stuff about them. That seems like a skill-check related bonus without actually saying so. So might have the same problem. Just tough to balance/use 5e Features IMHO.

Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 07-08-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Over the next day or so I will try to review the published features and see what I think. I will either agree or I will have a counter proposal.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Well looky there! We got ourselves a game goin' on.

I'll start writing up the next post; you folks have some fun.

If y'all have character portraits, or, even better, maptool-style tokens for your characters, please link them. Otherwise I'll be doing what I do.

I had thought, back when we were still in application thread, that it might be amusing/nice to let the party pick the nickname for the squad. It could be something personal like "Trouble's Troublemakers" or it could be something generic like "Squad 13" or it could be something off-the-wall like "The Bandicoots." Maybe you like "The Murderhobos" or "Bloody Vengeance." I don't know -- just thought it could be fun.