twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14775
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
So imagining the situation where the five of you are responsible for a supply cart, and making haste down a trail with a maximum of two abreast, how do you think you'd march?

My current thinking is something like, Marack leads with Rhessa and Trouble behind him, Denovar and Rosemary pulling up the rear, with Rosemary tending the mule. That's probably not optimal but it's what I made up just now.

How would you rather it go?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Orange Pirate
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9079
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
LOL. I imagine Cowl and Highwater clashing a lot, with their personalities, so I wouldn't put them together. Maybe the medic walks with one of the other girls instead. I agree with Dovorson being in front. You can put Trouble anywhere.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 PM
salty old cur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Front is fine for Dovorson.

Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona
Old 07-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21139
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Denovar thinks he gets along with everyone so no concerns for me there. Skill set as a sniper witless be better in the rear as suggested.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
If she can get away with it, Rhessa will sit on the supply cart. She'll be in the center where she is mobile enough to position herself in any way becessary. While she excels at tange, she has a couple of very dangerous melee and area of effect spells.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

Hokay, trying to throw her together five minutes at a time - should be good in a day or two - piecing a Librarian background together for your approval (not making anything up, just scavenging from others). Meanwhile, have a post! Been trying to solidify the Healer aspect of her in my head - as a rather contrary character, it's lots of fun - I think I've found a healthy helping of Nynaeve in her.

In other news, I think I've found an altogether better place to live (for a given definition of live) and am on the track to new jobthings...inching closer to stability, one threadbare patch at a time!

[Edit] - Interactions! Mar is currently grumpy with Dovorson, friendly with Rhessa (pirates in general just get on her good side), and cheerfully vicious towards Denovar, who probably doesn't notice (which could be fun in and of itself!)...as for the sarge, undecided. A boss named Trouble has some potential, but at the end of the day, is still a boss - and Mar doesn't offer loyalty lightly. She's just here to patch and bind until she gets her book, yeah? Dismembering zombies is a perk, not a mission.

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”

Last edited by Mal Radagast; 07-19-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Interactions! Rhessa doesn't care much for Dovorson, because he's simply no fun to have around. He's a solid thing to have between her and some actual enemies, but he just doesn't appreciate the pure joy of electrocuting things with magic.

Trouble has, against all odds, Rhessa's full respect. The tiefling is creative and keeps her people alive so far. As long as that continues, Rhessa happily lets her boss her around.

Denovar is, in Rhessa's opinion, utterly insane. That's fine for her as long as he does his job - she sailed with worse characters, really -, but it definitely doesn't make her want to rely on the talkative crazy ranger.

Miss Cowl is a fun character to Rhessa. First of all, she's a trouble magnet with her foul mouth, which means Rhessa gets a lot less trouble for being snarky than she would otherwise. So that's a good thing!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I won't remember to do it, but Vex's portrait of Denovar has made me want to put a miniature giant space hamster amongst the loot table.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Aaaaand ... FIGHT.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I'm a bit confused about the Iniitiative roll - you want us to roll initiative at the same time as declaring what we're doing? What happens with actions that are no longer viable (because the target moved, or someone moved in the line of sight, or the target is dead, or any of the hundred things that can go horribly wrong when trying to plan a turn ahead )?

I don't mind the challenge (as long as the enemy suffers from this as well ), I just can't imagine how the fringe cases are going to look like.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:23 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I'll put it all together as best I can? I mean, we can do it the other way but the way I've run combat before is sort of put everything into the mix then try to sort it out. Otherwise it takes like 2+ weeks to run a single round.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Alright. It's just that I'd rather not waste a 2nd level spell slot if either of these creatures move before me.

The way my other 5e group on here handles it is: Each character beating the enemy's average Initiative is getting a first action, then all the enemies do their actions, then all characters (including the ones acting first), then all enemies, etc. Keeps it flowing nicely.

Do you allow conditionals? As if "I'll cast this spell if they are still all in the radius, otherwise I'll cast this spell"?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
We can do the thing you describe, that's fine. In that case let's roll initiatives, then we'll figure out who declares actions.

But in general, I'm fine with conditionals, too, as long as the conditions rely on information you would ordinarily have prior to a declared action.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM
salty old cur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Conditionals make PBP crazy. Interrupts/reactions are hard enough to resolve. But through in 'if/then' statements . . . .

Honestly, the best way I've seen encounters handled (and as I do when I DM):

1) Initiative is set like a DC (i.e., beat the DC and you go before the mobs).
2) Actions are done in the order of posting (i.e., if I post before you, my action happens first).
3) The map and number tracking sheet are interactive (i.e., players can move map tokens as necessary and resolve hits, including adjusting mobs' HP).

Public permissions on a Google Draw "map" and Google Sheet "stat sheet" allow the above to occur very easily. I can provide examples, if desired.

By doing the above, whoever goes 'next' always knows what the game board looks like at any given point and can see what mobs have what HP, defenses, etc. That enables to players to completely self-service their turns (loads less work for DMs) AND remove the 'fog of war' where two players attack the same already dead mob that was actually three squares from where the last map showed him.

Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 07-21-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21139
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankucus View Post
Conditionals make PBP crazy. Interrupts/reactions are hard enough to resolve. But through in 'if/then' statements . . . .

Honestly, the best way I've seen encounters handled (and as I do when I DM):

1) Initiative is set like a DC (i.e., beat the DC and you go before the mobs).
2) Actions are done in the order of posting (i.e., if I post before you, my action happens first).
3) The map and number tracking sheet are interactive (i.e., players can move map tokens as necessary and resolve hits, including adjusting mobs' HP).

Public permissions on a Google Draw "map" and Google Sheet "stat sheet" allow the above to occur very easily. I can provide examples, if desired.

By doing the above, whoever goes 'next' always knows what the game board looks like at any given point and can see what mobs have what HP, defenses, etc. That enables to players to completely self-service their turns (loads less work for DMs) AND remove the 'fog of war' where two players attack the same already dead mob that was actually three squares from where the last map showed him.
I'll second that. I have not used the interactive maps but can see their advantage. Everything else I activily do in my games.