Game Thread 1. Misty Mountain Hop - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > All Along the Watchwall
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

Marack easily batted aside the skeleton's clumsy attack. He was about to respond to the foul thing in kind when the Thayan again sent his magics against Marack.

As the spell hit him, Marack's mind's eye flashed images of his wife and child at his feet, hacked to bits, his bloody sword hovering over them. The spell had brought forward a terrible memory, one designed to break the strong man's will.

Indeed, this image, this memory, had haunted Marack for years. The event, what he had done, had sent him to the depths of despair more than once. Such a spell cast upon Marack hardly a year ago would have laid the man low, caused him to cry and whimper as he recoiled at the mere memory of that awful day.

But that was before Marack had emerged from the darkness.

Emerged with only one purpose:

To kill Thayans. Like the fool who just cast his silly spell.

Marack roared like a bear and swung recklessly at the skeleton, the only thing separating the Neverwinterian from his quarry. The wild swing did little damage itself but Marack was just getting started. He swung again and again, hacking and smashing the animated bones until it fell back upon the ground, only to be further destroyed by Marack heavy boots as he tramped it, charging across the expansive separating himself from the fleeing Thayan.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 08-10-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Vex's Avatar
Vex Vex is offline
Mindshifter
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-05-2018
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Posts: 1,664
AmateursThe robed man tries to flee after ineffectually casting spells. Amateur, Rhessa thinks to herself with as much contempt as she can muster.

She steps around Dovorson who lays into the last remaining skeleton with berserk frenzy, and fires another thin ray of ice blue light at the fleeing figure. This time, the man seems to anticipate her tactic, and his zig-zagging run easily causes the ray to dissipate harmlessly in the snowy ground.

Rhessa frowns. Then she concentrates, her stormy blue eyes following the hooded figure's movements. There would be no escape from her next spell.



 

Last edited by Vex; 08-12-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is offline
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-25-2020
RPXP: 9079
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,409
Crippling BlowTrouble could only stare at the cleric, as he blasted their foes with light, wondering who he was. Is he part of the army too?

"Thank you stranger", she said to him.

Just as she spoke, her veteran companion raged at the skeleton. Whacking it furiously. Trouble often heard him talk with such animosity towards Thayans, but never imagined the guy to have a bit of a barbarian in him. Note to self: Don't cross Dovorson.

She ran for her spear and picked it up, which was sticking out next to where Marack stood. The sergeant aimed for the Thayan and again threw it at him. Bingo! The spear pierced his left thigh and remained stuck there.

Trouble then smugly said, "Let's see you run now, bastard. You owe me half an ear."


 
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Webling Webling is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2016
RPXP: 330
Webling Webling Webling Webling
Posts: 837
Preter looked at the retreating enemies. They had clearly bitten off more than they could chew, and were doing everything they could to get out of the fight. With the might of his god, he knew that they couldn't be allowed to get away.

"By the Light and divine! Be still, that you may be purged!" and with that, he thrust his arm out straight and stiff, holding his prayer beads and focusing intently on the spellcaster.

 
__________________
A true character takes on a life of their own. - Taker of the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is offline
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-01-2020
RPXP: 14775
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,293
Time Stands StillThe Thayan bolts from the field, slowed by his sluggish limbs. Before he gets far, Dovorson storms after. Anger changes to fear in the cultist's eyes as the fighting man gains ground — then Trouble's spear arcs through the air and transfixes the man. He staggers, bleeding profusely now, barely able to retain his feet, but he whirls on Dovorson, drawing a wicked-looking knife.

That's when the newcomer's spell takes hold. The cultist's snarl is frozen in place, his dagger half-drawn, his gaze unswervingly fastened on where Marack was, just a few seconds ago.


 
__________________
he/him/his DM Westport Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga

Last edited by phinar; 08-22-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is online now
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-01-2020
RPXP: 21139
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,476
With the skeletons defeat, and the human with them nearly dead, Denovar knew this little skirmish was reaching an end. He notched one last arrow into his bow, then dashed forward to make up ground. Drawing his bow string, he prepares a shot, though it is only for show, he knows it will probably not be needed. "Whats the word Sarg? Are we taking quarter today, or should we turn this worthless sack of flesh into a pin cushion?"

 

Quick Stats
left-aligned image
Denovar Highwater
Level: 3 Ranger (Hunter)
HP: 28/28, AC: 14 (16 with shield) Speed: 30ft
Stats: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 9
Passive Perception: 14 Feats:: Sharpshooter
Spell Slots 1st 2/3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

The held Thayan stood fixed in place, eyes still murderous upon Marack. Marack paused momentarily before the statuesque man, regarding his pathetic state of being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
"Whats the word Sarg? Are we taking quarter today, or should we turn this worthless sack of flesh into a pin cushion?"
Marack, inscrutable as always, may or may not have heard Denovar's words. And if he had heard, he may or may not have cared. After all Marack had come to this land for one reason and one reason only.

Dovorson thrust his large blade strongly into the Thayan's chest, through his heart, the longsword sticking out the man's a good four inches. The Neverwinterian grunted, twisted the blade, and wretched it out. Blood gushed from the wound, first in red spurts as the man's heart beat its last. Within a second or two, the jets stopped and the blood simply flowed from the wound like wine from a cut winesack.

Marack scowled at the standing man, perhaps regarding the curious magic that kept the dead man still standing.

And then he cleaned his sword upon the standing man's cloak, methodically ensuring it was ready for the next Thayan to cross Marack Dovorson.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 08-22-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is offline
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-25-2020
RPXP: 9079
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,409
Back to WorkTrouble slowly walked up beside Marack, patting the man in the back. She leaned down and pulled her spear free from the Thayan's thigh. "Well fought soldiers!", she shouted, as she turned back to the rest. The sergeant walked in front of Rhessa and picked up her dart, among the bones of the fallen, then resumed walking. "Let's move. We need to get these carts to that cave and secure the place."

"Thanks again stranger", she said to Preter. "You may accompany us, if you wish. It's the least we could do. Being alone out here isn't safe."

She continued walking to the carts, not waiting for the cleric to respond. Rosemary Cowl was there, just standing and staring at nothing in particular. The medic's battleshock was worse than Trouble thought. The former librarian didn't respond to anything her officer said, so Trouble resolved to assisting her in getting seated on a cart instead.

"Keep an eye out soldiers", she bellowed. "Another stray Thayan group might be out there."


 
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 PM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is offline
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-01-2020
RPXP: 14775
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,293
AftermathWith the patrol vanquished, the Troublemakers have opportunity to regroup. Not a lot of opportunity, though: to the west, the shouts and cries of battle can be heard, drawing nearer.

A quick survey of potential salvage turns up a half-dozen gold, fifteen usable arrows, and five days of Thayan-spiced trail rations. The shortswords are poor quality but me get fetch some coin; same with the bows. The cultist's dagger it well-maintained but has Thayan insignia on the pommel it will probably fetch more as war memorabilia than as a weapon, and not much at that. The human's leathers and clothing are ruined, and the skeletons don't have enough to sell.

There's no telling who might be coming to investigate the sounds of your battle, but if anyone does, the odds are good they will be hostile. Best to keep moving.
__________________
he/him/his DM Westport Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

Marack grunted in acknowledgement when Trouble patted him on the back. She had acquitted herself well. In fact, Marack was a little surprised most had. Only the loudmouth Cowl had froze in battle. Better to know now she's all wind and no sail before a real storm hit, Marack thought as he regarded Rosemary coldly. Hopefully, the newcomer would replace the librarian.

Perception: Deep through pockets, etc.: +0 Wis, +2 Skill
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (20)+2 Total = 22
Well, there's my luck for the game!
Marack took an extra moment to search the Thayan thoroughly. During the battles at Neverwinter, actual Thayans were rare amongst the hordes of undead and Asmodi. Such persons usually had valuables and intelligence on them, arguably both of equal value. This fellow didn't look nearly as elite as those few Thayans. Perhaps this close to Thay, Marack would see more 'common' Thayans than he had seen at Neverwinter.

Besides collecting whatever he found on the man, Marack helped himself to a few of the gold pieces. The rest of the items he left. Such junk would only weigh him down.

And he had many more miles to go.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 08-23-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Webling Webling is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2016
RPXP: 330
Webling Webling Webling Webling
Posts: 837
Looking around, Preter saw a formidable group. He had a good feeling about them - Chauntea hadn't steered him wrong, after all. "Hello, everyone. I'm Preter Taim. Chauntea's light be upon you all. I would make a more thorough introduction of myself, but it is best to keep moving. Preferably away from that direction." And with that, he pointed towards the way he had just come. "There is a lot of unholy creatures behind me - where were you headed, by the way?"

Character informationPreter Taim
HP 21
Hit Dice 3/3
AC 17
Spells prepared: Cantrips - Light, Mending, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying
Level 1 - Bless, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, Detect Magic (also Burning Hands, Faerie Fire)
Level 2 - Prayer of Healing, Hold Person (also Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray)
Spell slots: Level 1 - 4/4
Level 2 - 1/2
__________________
A true character takes on a life of their own. - Taker of the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Webling; 08-23-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Vex's Avatar
Vex Vex is offline
Mindshifter
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-05-2018
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Posts: 1,664
A dainty storm princess
Rhessa sniffs, the magic built up in her slowly dissipating as the winds around her die down. This engagement was certainly a disappointment. The former pirate wasn't about to risk her neck more than necessary, but these rotten bones and undead summoners could have at least put up a bit of fight.

Scary Thayans, indeed. The bolting leader of the group had been a sight to behold.

Half turning towards Trouble, Rhessa snorts. "Hardly a match to be proud of. I faced fishing sloops giving more battle than this."

With a final sigh, Rhessa lets the last wild storm magic in her veins go, the addictive promise of magical destruction unfilled.

Shaking her head to clear away the after effects, she turns to the newcomer. He looks like a rough enough sort. "That way", she answers his question, utterly unhelpfully pointing in the direction the robed human had try to flee to.



 

Last edited by Vex; 08-24-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 AM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is offline
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-01-2020
RPXP: 14775
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,293
Cleaning UpThe fallen are quickly stripped of valuables. Spare food is chucked in the cart, as are the more serviceable arrows. Dovorson spends a little extra time searching the human, and for his trouble finds a documents pouch tucked inside the man's doublet. The documents are sticky with blood, but still legible.

They don't tell a particularly reassuring tale. A map of the immediate area, carefully marked with unit designations, suggests that the Thayan's intelligence apparatus is beyond reproach. This Thayan knew more about the Aglarondian Expeditionary Army than Dovorson himself.

Furthermore, if the markings for the Thayans were correct, this battle would prove to be more about survival than victory. The Thayan forces more than doubled the Aglarondians, and that before battlefield necromancy reinforced them.

Also in the documents pouch were the human's orders — he was attached to an infantry unit, given command of a half-dozen skeletons. His rank was listed as "Acolyte".


The Rear Guard's Fate
right-aligned image
With the patrol vanquished, the Troublemakers again start forward, all too aware that plenty of trouble hounds their heels, and they need to make none for themselves. The carts creak forward as Denovar urges them forward.

Less than a quarter mile down the trail, the terrain widens into the plateau that was used for last night's camp. Today, it has been used for butchery. The rear guard elements have been slaughtered, and the snow churned up around their bodies. A trail of red snow and muddy footprints leads back eastward — the rear guard was apparently split off from the rest of the army and routed.

The battle could not have been more than an hour past, but the battlefield is empty save the corpses and the carrion birds.

left-aligned image
Stone, ice, and snow define the southern edge of the battlefield, the mountainside rising up another hundred yards to its crest. Up there, the clash of blades tinkles down from where the rear guard's heavy infantry units have engaged the enemy. The climb up looks treacherous, and there's no telling what the battle would look like once you reached the top.

At the base of the rock face is the cave that Lieutenant Falkrest sent the Troublemakers to hold. Hopefully the rest of Griffin Company would be joining them soon.

Hopefully.
__________________
he/him/his DM Westport Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is offline
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-25-2020
RPXP: 9079
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,409
The CaveNo more Thayans hindered the group, until they reached their destination. The young sergeant was prepared for another fray, but she was glad that none occurred. They needed rest, Cowl especially, but first they needed to secure the cave, just as Falkrest ordered.

"Hang on", she said, when the group were at the entrance. "Dovorson, Waveborn and Highwater, please scout ahead." She took out a torch, from her pack and Elemental Attunementlit it, with a flick of her fingers." Here." Trouble handed it to the old man. "Don't go too far inside. Return to us in ten minutes or so. I'll stay here, inside the entrance, with Cowl and Taim, just in case the rest of the army gets here, or Thayans. Shout if you need anything."


 
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is online now
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-01-2020
RPXP: 21139
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,476
Scouts R Us"Sure thing Sarge. If we have any more bone clanking oggily boogily baddies in there, we know what to do," Denovar exclaimed as he readied is bow just in case. As the trio slowly enters the cave, Denovar continues his narration. "I thought we were suppose to hold the cave. Shouldn't it be secure already? But never fear, the Troublemakers are here. Slowly entering the cave the trio takes a look around. A mere cave you may think, but secrets could be held inside. Frozen rats grown the size of polar bears. Living stalactites ready to drop on your head. Overly hungry allies ready to steal your lunch. I laugh in the face of such danger. He He He He. Nothing more than a days work for Ol Denovar and crew."


Quick Stats
left-aligned image
Denovar Highwater
Level: 3 Ranger (Hunter)
HP: 28/28, AC: 14 (16 with shield) Speed: 30ft
Stats: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 9
Passive Perception: 14 Feats:: Sharpshooter
Spell Slots 1st 2/3
__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB