Game Thread Tomb of Horrors 5th edition - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Tomb of Horrors 5th Edition
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
TomaFox
Tomb of Horrors 5th edition

Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt. It is filled with terrible traps and not a few strange and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. It is filled with rich treasures both precious and magical, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, there is said to be a demilich who still wards his final haunt. (Be warned that tales told have it that this being possesses powers that make him nearly undefeatable!) Accounts relate that
it is quite unlikely that any adventurers will ever find the chamber where the demi-lich Acererak lingers, for the passages and rooms of the tomb are fraught with terrible traps, poison gases, and magical protections.
Furthermore, the demi-lich has so well hidden his lair that even those who avoid the pitfalls will not be likely to locate their true goal. So only large and well-prepared parties of only the bravest and strongest should even consider the attempt, and if they do locate the tomb, they must be prepared to fail...

After years of searching, nobles and artifact collectors, some of the richest men in the world, discovered that, in the Great Swamp of the remote country of Sunndi, evil humanoids and undead founded a settlement called the City of Skulls. Priests and necromancers of the Bleak Academy—a sinister cabal dedicated to the worship of Acererak, the demilich, as a deity—led the city. After being defeated by mercenaries and the rich men's personal armies, the City of Skulls was turned upside down until the location of the Tomb of Horrors was revealed - the residence of Acererak.

An expedition was set to find it, to the south, in the Swamp. The call for heroes and adventurers, and the promises of power and riches unimaginable, attracted you here.

You all came in mounted on hippogryphs and giant eagles. The expedition will arrive in less than a day.Seen from above, the mound takes on the likeness of a human skull, with the “scattered” black rocks representing eyeholes, a nose hole, and the jagged teeth of a grinning death’s head.

You have arrived at the site of the demi-lich’s last haunt: a low, flat-topped hill about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long. Ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow on the steep sides and bald top of the 60-foothigh mound. Several large black rocks are scattered on the hilltop.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 934
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Blaze, standing at 5'10, but slim at just 135 lbs, looks around. Her skin a flaming red, her eyes shining emerald green. Her hair a fiery orange.
Wearing a rusty colored leather armor that's cropped at the top, armed with a bow, a pair of swords at her slim hips, along with a pair of daggers sheath at each thigh, covered by brown leather pants with slits on the side.
"So, here we are..."
Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2625
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Lucan takes a deep breath as he looks around slowly. He was right, it WAS a fool's folly to come here. He could leave, but but he said he will go through with with this and so he will.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Taris rejoices in the flight of the enormous giant eagle. So close to the sun, so wild and free! What a marvelous day to begin a new adventure. As the creature lands, Taris dismounts and turns briefly. Meeting the great eagle's eye, she says, "Thank you, great one," and bows her head to it in honor. She then takes a deep breath and turns to the others who traveled through the sky to this dismal and frightening place. She prays briefly to Pelor for the strength to survive the tombs, and to bring light back into this corner of the world.

The rest of you see a tanned, blond, blue-eyed dwarven woman clad in scale mail armor. She is a mere 4'3" tall, but she looks powerful. Her long hair is braided with beads woven into them, and she carries a shield with a sun emblazoned on it. Her warhammer looks well used, as does her backpack and other belongings. She smiles around at everyone and says, "Greetings, all. My name is Taris Lightforged. May Pelor bless all of you, and our journey."

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...

Last edited by GryffinSong; 08-24-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
"Greetings, I am Lucan." he bows. He looks to be around 5'8 feet tall, medium build but on the slender side, dark green eyes with shoulder length chestnut hair and copperish skin. Dark green studded leather armor with lincoln green clothing. A sword at his left hip, a bow at his back and a quiver near his right side for easy access. An dagger sheath at each thigh. If anything, he looks as if he belongs in the forest.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Dinoczar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22079
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
right-aligned image

"Here we are indeed! Just as the fates foretold! And were we not here, why, we would be elsewhere! Which we are manifestly not, as amply demonstrated by the simple fact that we are discussing the matter." The old man seems almost to glide across the stone, the...thing accompanying him moving in a slow and stately orbit around the shriveled figure. "Or so is my theorem; reality itself remains a largely conjectural matter, as leading scholars agree."

He bows to the company, moving rather more easily than one would expect of such an aged figure. "I am Doctor Fustigor, a humble warlock and scholar by trade. This," he gestures to the creature now circling his head, an apparently random assemblage of eyes, tentacles, and organs that defy easy description, "Is Yugg the Ineluctable, all praise to It. Yugg is a god, as yet embryonic, who shall someday devour all the world." He pauses for a moment, smiling fondly at the hovering abomination. "Yugg is pleased to meet you all, and wishes me to assure that you that you and all you love shall be long dead by the time It achieves Its full and glorious apotheosis, so there is no need for immediate concern."

"This is not entirely true," he adds in a hoarse whisper, "For time is naught but an illusion, and Yugg is not bound by its strictures. But this avatar is young yet, and has not come into the fullness of Its understanding. Disabuse him not, and all will be well."

"This shall indeed be an adventure," Fustigore continues, raising his voice once more, "Will it not, oh Shadow of Doom Impending?" In response, Yugg merely undulates in a disquieting matter that is not entirely unlike a shrug.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Balatros walks calmly towards the growing group of seemly random (some odd) people.
"Would it not be best if if I kill the creepy beast now. You all can then hail me Saviour of the world." Balatros laughs and tries to pat the ugly creature floating around the head of Doctor Fustigor. "Who's a good boy?"
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 AM
Ghostbuster

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1360
Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal
Brezzanik dismounts the hippogriff and gives it a friendly scratch. "Thanks," he offers briefly, accompanied by a small nod of respect. The squat dark gnome squints against the still-too-bright sun and turns his attention to the introductions... especially the odd creature and old human. I suppose I've heard of weirder... and everyone else seems pretty armed to the teeth. Hopefully that bodes well for this expedition.

Metallic clinks imply the presence of armor underneath his cloak and traveling clothes as he raises his hand in a small salute of introduction. "Brezzanik, arcanist." Wonder if that boy is going to get his hand bit off... have to remember to ask the old man more about that thing, make some notes.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Zoorig Zoorig
Walter slides off the great eagle with ease and immediately takes to a knee as he utters a quiet prayer to himself. As he rises, he places a hand upon the eagle, again uttering a quiet prayer. He looks around at the assembly as he ushers the graceful creature on its way. Pelor has assembled great warriors. If we are marked to die, Pelor will assure that are deaths will not be in vein.As he scans, his eyes fall upon a female dwarf. But it wasn't the dwarf that caught his eye per se, but the symbol on the shield that she wore which he immediately recognized as that of Pelor. Although he was intrigued by the thought of another follower of Pelor in the group, Walter remained, as always, the composed soldier. As an officer, Walter only raised his voice in the most appropriate of times. That time was not now. For now, he would quietly introduce himself to the others I am Walter Younger, Paladin. May the light of Pelor shine upon us today and all of our days.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Lucan nods to Walter as he joins the group. "I am Lucan."
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Walter Younger. I do not know the name, but he follows Pelor. This is a good omen.

Taris smiles at the newcomer and nods at him. "Taris Lightforged, and may you be welcome." She laughs lightly, "This is a good sign, I think, that Pelor smiles on our venture."

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Pizza Samurai

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1636
Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator
Yet another Paladin joins the group, this one in the form of a halfling clad in a sparkling silver breastplate. Her shield is adorned with a symbol of a war dog. As she gets close to you, no matter your own alignment or outlook, you feel a sense of protection and warmth. "Hello, everyone. I am Mazzina, or Mazzy to my friends. Stick close to me and you'll be sure to save your bacon! Mmmm, bacon."

Taker of the Oath of Sanginus
Old 08-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Lucan sees the halfling, thinking, "Ah good, a good thief will come in handy..." then he stops his thoughts when he notices how well armored he is. He then listens, surprised hear the lil fellow is a warrior instead. "I am...Lucan." he bows, still quiet surprised.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 330
Webling Webling Webling Webling
Landing with a roll, Beiro manages to come up from the ground with a flourish. "Welcome one and all! I assume we're all here for the same reason - to risk our fool necks for unbelievable treasure, wealth, or just a chance to give a good whollup to some nasty creatures."

Bowing to the assembled group, the bard states in a loud voice, "I'm Beiro Razen - stick with me, and we'll make it out of here in one piece, with enough gold and jewels to buy a small city. I am more than happy to lend a, shall we say, magical arm to our fair group?" Raising his left hand into the air, Beiro cries out, "Asilame!" and with that, a firework display with no sound, just bright, flashing lights of all different colors begins lighting up the sky. After a few seconds, the lights fade and are gone. "Any takers?" he asked.

Last edited by Webling; 08-26-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 AM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Standing 20ft from the showman Balatros casts Magehand so that the form of a hand, coloured deep blue, floats in front of the bard, poised for shaking. Beiro Razen, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Balatros Laxal.