twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Current Status: Falling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 345
Felloffalot Felloffalot Felloffalot Felloffalot
That's a good shade of brown. I'm okay with it.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Buuurp.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 875
Isthon Isthon Isthon Isthon Isthon Isthon Isthon
Made a small change to my sheet, namely swapping mace with a spear. Just wanted to mention it since you had already looked them over.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Sauceror Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11800
kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avayar View Post
Rangers aren't 1d10? Or is that the UA spell-less version?
Spell-less needs some boosting to stay on par with the power level, i guess. I stumbled into a pretty decent combo between that ranger and the lightfoot halfling abilities, though, so i'm not complaining
Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Not all who wander...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43035
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
I've got my stuff picked out for Dee Dee. I should be able to get it input tomorrow. Basic stats should be present already, though.

Sometimes I write things.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Casual D&D Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5573
Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felloffalot View Post
That's a good shade of brown. I'm okay with it.
I don't want you to be OK with it. I want you to love it.

Kidding, kidding.

OK, so I didn't get around to posting yesterday, on account of New Year's Eve shenanigans (and not even the good kind). But I'll be posting shortly. First I'm gonna send each of you a PM to clarify for you exactly how your character got mixed up in all this. In some cases, I'm just going with what you had put in your app, and in others, I've changed things a bit. If there are any problems/questions with this, let me know. Otherwise, feel free to go ahead and post in the Game Thread, which will be up shortly.

Thanks for your patience! I'm super-stoked to get this show on the road!
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1025
Avayar Avayar Avayar Avayar Avayar Avayar Avayar Avayar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
I don't want you to be OK with it. I want you to love it.

Kidding, kidding.

OK, so I didn't get around to posting yesterday, on account of New Year's Eve shenanigans (and not even the good kind). But I'll be posting shortly. First I'm gonna send each of you a PM to clarify for you exactly how your character got mixed up in all this. In some cases, I'm just going with what you had put in your app, and in others, I've changed things a bit. If there are any problems/questions with this, let me know. Otherwise, feel free to go ahead and post in the Game Thread, which will be up shortly.

Thanks for your patience! I'm super-stoked to get this show on the road!
https://youtu.be/7edeOEuXdMU?t=9

Old 01-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Casual D&D Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast
Alright, Game Thread is up! Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Casual D&D Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
I've put a lot of work into this game, and I can't tell you all how gratifying it is to see your first round of phenomenal posts. I can't wait to see this story unfold. Having said that, I probably won't get around to an update until Sunday or Monday evening. I know most games tend to start off with faster posting rates, on account of the novelty effect and the new enthusiasm and all, but I'm trying to exercise restraint and keep from posting daily updates, because I know that's not sustainable for me. But yeah, I love what I'm seeing so far!

"Would you like some tea?" That line had me caught in one of those awkward laughing-out-loud-in-public situations. Love it. You guys are awesome.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Iran-Contra what?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6474
OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth
So, just wondering, Enthusiast, where does this awesome looking game fall timewise in relation to the New World? I'm excited to see how you guys putter around this awesome setting!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Something I was wondering about that I read the other day that just emerged from the dark depths of my memory:

For spells that have a 'saving throw or take damage' (e.g. the cantrip Poison Spray - Con save or d10 damage), do you consider a 'critical fail' (the saving throw roll being a 1) the same as a critical hit by that spell? Or is it strictly just for those that explicitly say make a melee/ranged attack?

EDIT - On a related note, this was an interesting read on the matter of spellcasting focus and somatic components. If it's your focus, it can double-down as Somatic eligible, assuming that the focus can stand in as the material component (i.e. - the material isn't costly or consumed). (Nerf Druids.)

EDIT 2 - Sage Advice Compendium. There's some interesting stuff in here (like using Counterspell during your own turn), if anyone is curious.

Last edited by Avayar; 01-05-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Casual D&D Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
Heyyyyy, Ollie!

Ollie, everyone. Everyone, Ollie. He plays a badass character in another campaign of mine, the New World. And this here is the Old World (or the Southern part of it, anyway).

To answer your question, it's more-or-less simultaneous. Because yeah, that might matter down the road.

And Avayar, I don't think I'd consider a natural 1 on a save to be a critical hit for a spell attack. I'd consider it an auto-hit, but not a critical hit. I tend to avoid houseruling a lot of mechanical things like that. I prefer to put my trust in the people that have playtested the classes and all that... You know, the people that do this for a living. Because they probably wrote the rules that way on purpose, for whatever reason. Mechanics aren't really my strongsuit/passion, so I tend to just keep it simple by going with the rules as written... Unless it's more fun to bend/break them. Does that make sense? It's late and I'm tired.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:42 AM

Tools
User Statistics
It makes sense. And Ollie and I are sorta acquainted, even if we never got around to the Paladin vs. Monk infighting over "doctrine" that was all but inevitable in that game. >.> <.< with on top.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Iran-Contra what?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6474
OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth
Quote:
It makes sense. And Ollie and I are sorta acquainted, even if we never got around to the Paladin vs. Monk infighting over "doctrine" that was all but inevitable in that game. >.> <.< with on top.
I know, that was a sad loss, that monk concept is one I've been trying to use for forever. Ah well. This game looks pretty awesome, I'm jealous of you guys.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNorth View Post
I know, that was a sad loss, that monk concept is one I've been trying to use for forever. Ah well. This game looks pretty awesome, I'm jealous of you guys.
I'm still holding a vigil in the hopes that DM can make it back.

Last edited by Avayar; 01-06-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13828
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Quote:

EDIT - On a related note, this was an interesting read on the matter of spellcasting focus and somatic components. If it's your focus, it can double-down as Somatic eligible, assuming that the focus can stand in as the material component (i.e. - the material isn't costly or consumed). (Nerf Druids.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTC
If a spell has a somatic component, you can use the hand that performs the somatic component to also handle the material component. For example, a wizard who uses an orb as a spellcasting focus could hold a quarterstaff in one hand and the orb in the other, and he could cast lightning bolt by using the orb as the spellís material component and the orb hand to perform the spellís somatic component.
Okay, sweet. Unless I'm reading that wrong, it pretty much says what I was saying. If you have a spellcasting focus in one hand you can use that hand to do the somatic part of the spell. The exception being that if the spell has components which have a cost then they can't be replaced by the focus, which I would guess are only a few corner cases that might not even need to come up depending on spell selection.

I didn't understand the 'nerf druids' comment though. Was that a suggestion druids need to be nerfed? Or is there something to do with druid spells which is a nerf because they have costly components?