Game Thread Act 17 Scene 1 Oh Canada! - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:09 PM
Airdish2's Avatar
Airdish2 Airdish2 is offline
Lucky Sevens
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 1552
Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2
Posts: 649


For the first hour, Magnus and Reuben walked in silence. The Scot let the big man do the tracking. He was feeling pretty confident when he sighted a hare jumping from a stand...but forgot to snap the safety of the pistol. The Hare was gone before he could snap off a shot. Reuben shrugged at Magnus: "Cannae win them all, eh?" The gunman's cheeks were red from more than just the cold.

 



Last edited by Airdish2; 01-30-2020 at 09:09 PM.
  #32  
Old 01-30-2020, 11:28 PM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 32046
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 13,549
X
left-aligned image
The (re?)discovery of the flightsuits was a boon in the quickly dropping temperature, as evidenced by the steam rolling off patches of bare skin. Without consideration for onlookers, Zella took the one offered by the quiet young man and worked her way into it, somewhat stiffly due to the jarring she must have endured before waking for the second time. 'Unisex' was a lie that thick-stature women were familiar with, but it fit in that all her limbs were accounted for and she did manage to get it closed, though the material strained in certain areas and the folds fell in awkward places. There was one seam in particular that was demanding more attention than she really wished to divert to it. When she had it more or less in place, she sighed, rolling up the ankles once and the sleeves thrice. It was what it needed to be- a barrier against the elements.

Clothed, she leaned back in the chair, resting and listening as the others discussed options and made plans. She had little to contribute, a fact that once again annoyed her- but her expertise lay in the more supernatural threats, and not these more mundane or the technological ones. She decides that she has earned a rest, anyway. Repeatedly calling upon the Night Goddess, and arranging a massive ritual with barely any preperation, had left her rather drained. She almost spoke up as an idea came to her, but then the drone was mentioned, and it seemed her consideration would be wasted expenditure of energy in comparison. She let her eyes drift closed for a moment. Without opening them, she pulls out the pistol from the station and held it out at the mention, in case one of the would-be scouts had need of it. When others roused to more immediate actions, she roused herself to offer a hand, and she was a fairly quick student and a pair of nimble hands though she might not be familiar with the science or math behind the tasks.

As the sun began to set, the witch couldn't help a nagging feeling. Once upon a time, she had been born in a small village, and had had to walk weekly to the neighboring town for gainful employment. But as small as her village was, there had been neighbors, noise, ever-present signs of human occupation. In contrast, this current group that she found herself with, it seemed, were far from civilization. Which usually meant a lack of ghosts, revenants, curses, and other dangerous, undesirable things brought upon the earth by human activity. But at least one had a chance of reasoning with the human elements. The vast untamed wildernesses had their own dangers, and ones that had very little in common with humanity, at that. Spirits of nature, or hungers from beyond the cracks between space and time.

Reluctantly, she pulled out her screwdriver-athame and christened it with her own blood, quickly crystallized, to make up for her once-again hastily prepared and ill-equipped work. Stepping past the clever doorflap, she began to circle their refuge, murmuring an incantation through quickly-freezing lips. When she was done, she quickly retreated inside again and took up a kneeling position, where she remained for the night, murmuring under her breath in what was quite evidently some further spellwork.

When late morning brought more words between her waking compatriots, Zella's head raised from where it had been slumped down over her breast, still kneeling in trance through the night. "I... may be able to lure some animal from the forest, but I do not know if such an act will be forgiven." She pursed her lips, weighing the danger of angering her patron. "Alternatively, I can attempt to see beyond our line of sight. Neither is quite an orthodox use of the spells of my training, however, so I cannot say if there will be success for either endeavor."


 
__________________
All I need now is my tower defense game.

Last edited by Humble Athena; 01-30-2020 at 11:28 PM.
  #33  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:27 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,887
While Zella decides on what course of action would be best for her talents and the team, Magus and Reuben return with several rabbits and enough drier deadfall to keep the fire going until the next morning - assuming someone was willing to continue to tend it.

Bernie made himself useful, even going to the point of making an "outhouse" about 20 meters to the south of the broken craft out of three sections of disconnected plating and several long strips of vinyl taken from the lining of one of the storage units.

Timbre is still favoring his right paw but stands watch diligently. There has been two occasions that his has alerted the group to something toward the forest to the northeast but within minutes he stopped two return to entrance to the craft to continue his "guard" duty. He stays until relieved by someone.

The simple acts of staying warm, making meals out of what was gathered, and shoring up the craft into shelter took until about 5 PM which was about the time the sun goes down in this part of the valley.

 
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-02-2020 at 11:30 PM.
  #34  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:06 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,887
*
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.
  #35  
Old 02-03-2020, 11:46 PM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 27,022
Sooah didn't pay much attention to James talking about been watched. It's not like her power works like a radar, she doesn't try anything for now, concerned of getting exhausted rapidly like on the alien ship. - " I will give it a try later if we don't find other solution. It's quite likely we are been observed by satellite surveillance, we know there's a HI base nearby right? " The beautiful woman is contented to take care of the fire with what the survivalist bring back, an easy task and she doesn't intend to freeze her tight ass outside, staying near the flames.

Concerned about Zella's safety, she encourages to stay prudent. - " No need to make unnecessary risk if you think the... night mother will punish you for such a thing. We are not desperate yet, right? We have rabbits thanks to the guys and plenty of water. "
OOCSooah is ready to wait a day to see if some rescue party will show up before trying to use her powers.


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-03-2020 at 11:48 PM.
  #36  
Old 02-04-2020, 12:28 PM
SalmonMax's Avatar
SalmonMax SalmonMax is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 2426
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Posts: 1,388
"No idea where we are," Death Otter replies. "But we do know one thing." She holds up a finger. "The weather will get better if we go south."

"WITH THAT IN MIND, I think we need to get some way to carry stuff put together...then get moving. If we get close enough to a town on the way, maybe I can pick it up."

She blinks then, and adds, "Also, we didn't really have TIME for introductions before, what with the MURDER and almost-dying we were busy with. I'm Death Otter. I can do wifi with my head. Hey. And...thanks for getting me out of wherever the hell I was. Last I saw, I was in freaking Nevada trying to keep an eye on the Area 51 idiocy. Then, bam."

Last edited by savoylen; 02-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.
  #37  
Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 PM
ogamodyna's Avatar
ogamodyna ogamodyna is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 14405
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Posts: 7,384
With everyone that had happened, Magnus was glad for a chance to wind down and maybe rest a while. No exploding ships, or sandpeople, or cyborg-puppies. Just a nice fire in the woods with a good dog and fresh roasted meat. The company was a mixed lot, but he'd been worse places with worse companions. Except maybe for the Bernie guy. It had been hard leaving him behind to take care of survival issues. Now though, well maybe one of the others could do something to be a little more certain of their new companion.

"I heard the new guy did some good work on the facilities outside. I hope somebody kept an eye on him, or maybe did a little digging for reassurances while we were out. He ain't one of us and he came from the station that was studying us. Toss in that whole rigamarole with a transponder or tracker right before we got shot... I just don't know that I'd speak real freely in front of the fellow, or schedule him for a shift of guard duty. Speaking of which. I'll take the early hours if nobody objects. I don't need that much sleep sometimes. Would rather nobody was dozing off or below par on their attention levels." Without actually pinning the fellow down with a stare, Magnus kept the station crewman in his peripheral vision to
Dice awareness of reactions after carefully considering his words and ambushing the spaceman vs 11:
d20 20
judge any reaction to his words.
__________________
Cattle die.Kindred Die.
All men are mortal.But the good name lasts forever.

Last edited by ogamodyna; 02-04-2020 at 04:27 PM.
  #38  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 27,022
- " My name is Dr. Song, what is that wifi in your head? Do you have an implant or is that a psychic ability? " Sooah listens to Magnus but doesn't seem to have much to contribute to that conversation. - " I will keep an eye on him while you sleep. Not much he can do now that everything is already broken on that ship. " She gives Bernie a cold stare.


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-05-2020 at 07:09 AM.
  #39  
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Airdish2's Avatar
Airdish2 Airdish2 is offline
Lucky Sevens
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 1552
Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2
Posts: 649


Reuben gnawed noisily on a rabbit leg. After his initial embarrassment with the sonic gun safety, he and Magnus had managed to peg a few of the white hares. The leftovers sizzled on a spit over the fire, it's smoke trailing up through the hole the machine gun left in the upper turret. He swallowed and smiled over the friendly flames:

"Name's Reuben, loch th' sandwich. Was mah Da's favorite, main th' dobber rot in Heel. Aam naethin' but a gun-boy fa was recruited by th' Hoffs efter survivin' a romp ben a vampire's nest. 'Ow Ah came t'space, I've naught a clue."

Reuben flashed his ring, looking curiously over at the man from the station.

"Bernie, reit? Dae ye ken wa we waur kept thaur? 'O ye workin' fur, anyway?"

 


  #40  
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 PM
ogamodyna's Avatar
ogamodyna ogamodyna is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 14405
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Posts: 7,384
The answer to his question about their possible saboteur did nothing to soothe Magnus's worries. Just because the ship was down, it didn't necessarily follow that there was no further chance for mischief. For all they knew, this fellow was a failsafe to make sure they didn't get too far before the black hats nabbed them again. That whole tracking device issue was just as bad on the ground as it had been in space, aside from the potential to spontaneously decompress in a vacuum. There was no time to reply to that immediately though. Before the action oriented merc could compose a careful speech, the moment was taken by the night incomprehensible Scotsman.

In retrospect, maybe that was for the best. If they could draw a little information out of the fellow without applying hot pincers or removing spare appendages, then so be it. On the other hand, there hadn't been a whole lot of evidence that the guy was trustworthy or anything except a willing accomplice to the atrocities on that space vessel or station. To cover up his own tumultuous thoughts, Mags turned to the newest members. "Wifi in your head? Like you had braces as a kid or something?"
__________________
Cattle die.Kindred Die.
All men are mortal.But the good name lasts forever.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-07-2020 at 12:02 AM.
  #41  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 AM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,887


Bernie seems to not understand what the Irishman is asking, "Yes, thank you. I'd be happy to go hunting with you for rabbits or other game." He moves on to make pleasant conversation around the group as they talk amongst themselves about origin stories and experiences around the small warming fire in the cargo area. He continues to make frequent trips to improve his constructions, never being gone for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time.
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.
  #42  
Old 02-07-2020, 09:00 AM
ogamodyna's Avatar
ogamodyna ogamodyna is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 14405
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Posts: 7,384
Magnus rolled over with his back more or less to the room fairly early after the primeval meal of roasted rabbit and snowmelt. Fortunately, he'd also found some watercress and some birch and tamarack trees. None of his tools were admirably suited for the job, but somehow he pried off some bark and used it to carry inner bark from both trees back to camp. By morning, with a little help from cold fermentation, a coarse flour of the two barks would make some rough bread or biscuits to start the day, as well as some pine bark bacon cooked on a flat rock. Any leftover rabbit would have to round out breakfast. Which only left a near catastrophic lack of coffee. If things didn't improve shortly, Magnus was worried about a decaffeinated related fatality or two.

In the meantime, he settled in and began breathing the sonorous song of the sleeper. That lasted right up until he noticed their outsider get up to go work on his outdoors project. No sooner was the other out of sight, than any pretense of sleep disappeared and Magnus rose to pad over to the doorway in his bare feet. The steel plates were horribly cold away from the furnace, but boots were
Dice tracking prey surival, taking time to ease suspicions vs 11:
d20 8
d4 3
too noisy for his purpose. He just had to hope his
Dice resilience vs 11:
d20 4
innate toughness was up to keeping all of his toes if this turned out to take a few minutes. Before he left, the merc made sure someone else knew what he was doing. Which didn't mean he was likely to change his mind without some very convincing reasons.

"Something weird about this cat. He's good at diversionary tactics. Not answering questions. Like an intell guy or some kind of spook. He goes out alone frequently, and he can do things with tools that would shock Tim the Toolman. More like an alien engineer than a janitor. Maybe he's the guy spying on James. And maybe he has some kind of tramsitter out there. I'm gonna go see. If I don't come back. Somebody shoot the bastard as soon as he returns then find his communication gear."

Just to make sure, Magnus waited a solid two or three minutes before easing out of the vessel to track his quarry and see what required all the solo time. He took that extra few moments to scratch some Blood rune to provide temporary armor 3,
Dice nordic heathenism to modify rune to protect against environment too vs 11:
d20 16
hasty runes into his own skin with the tip of the screw driver. That and a hefty sledge were his main weapons. The gun seemed too unwieldy. With any luck none of them were necessary. Maybe the guy was just anti-social. Or maybe he could be subdued without a weapon.
__________________
Cattle die.Kindred Die.
All men are mortal.But the good name lasts forever.

Last edited by ogamodyna; 02-07-2020 at 04:27 PM.
  #43  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:54 PM
SalmonMax's Avatar
SalmonMax SalmonMax is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 2426
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Posts: 1,388
Death Otter shrugs at the questions.

"I don't really know how it works," she explains. "I can hear signals, hear...pulses, I guess? Inside machines. And with computers I can understand what it means sometimes, and change it."

She wiggled her fingers spookily.

"It's not easy to do, so I still have a laptop and gear handy. Gives me a bit of an edge though."

Last edited by savoylen; 02-07-2020 at 06:36 PM.
  #44  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:19 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 27,022
Sooah is not much preoccupied with Bernie, she knows he's trouble and not to be trusted, yet she won't murder or hut someone preemptively. She has too much of a good heart for that even after everything that happened. Satisfied to enjoy the fire and relax, she still keeps and eyes about her surroundings with Timbre beside her. About Otter, she suspects that she is PSI sensitive like her, but now it's not the place for studying comrades. - " Interesting. I'd love to have a look at you when we are back to safety, call it professional curiosity. I'm a telepath, or at least that's how people call gifted people like me, maybe you have a similar gift. Mine works with people, yours with machines. "


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-10-2020 at 04:48 AM.
  #45  
Old 02-09-2020, 01:43 PM
Neil's Avatar
Neil Neil is offline
Jackie Paper's big fan.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-06-2020
RPXP: 4035
Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil
Posts: 5,642
James heads out with Magnus. He had tagged along with the first hunting trip but said nothing then. Once it was clear the boys knew how to hunt he was more interested in what signs they chose to ignore than what interested them. But that kind of obtuse information gathering was what had made him his living in the time period he refers to a as BH.

"We can't stay Magnus. Hoff isn't the kind of institution that mounts rescues." "I mean, who ever comes looking for this ship... Look it wan't be Hoffies. We need a plan to get ourselves back to civilisation and reestablish contact with the institute, quietly."

He scans the trees, the snow, the sky and smells the air. "Friend, foe or curious neutral?"
__________________
Thanks for everything Gary.

Neil will be busy until the summer at the earliest. STAY SAFE.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB