Game Thread Act 17 Scene 2 Bernie Tells A Story - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2007 > Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,851
Act 17 Scene 2 Bernie Tells A Story

Bernie was disturbed when he came back from the outside. It started when Magnus made the announcement about “seeing someone” along the tree line. He started his story by plopping down an odd looking device next to the fire. By the smell, it had been retrieved from the business end of the outhouse. Every few seconds a yellow light blinked on the side of the machine. Bernie flipped a switch and the light stopped. “The power on this is too weak now, it's not doing its job any more.” The question to its purpose was raised by a couple of members of the group. Bernie simply sat down and started telling his story as if he was beginning a camp-out fireside tale - now, if only there had been marshmallows and graham-crackers it might have seemed as one.

left-aligned image
“You have to think back a few hundred years when western man first came to these lands. The average man was 5 foot 9 inches, weighed 160 pounds and lived for about 50 years. So when they encountered a race of people that were much… larger and reclusive, they described them as monsters covered in fur. Frankly, by today’s standards these people could be supermodels - that is if models averaged 8 feet tall and a lean 300 pounds.” Looking at Magnus, Bernie continued. “You called them Yeti, I guess that could work but we call them, The Sasquatch.”

“My name is Bernie Kennedy. I work… worked for the CIA. My particular area of expertise was technical security though, I am also a mechanic. I’ve been watching you all these days as well. It seems you all have a diverse set of skills but you need to know that The Sasquatch don’t like people in their lands.”

Someone asked what lands he was talking about so he continued his story. “People believe that the first national park in the world was established in America in 1871 for the protection of natural resources. The organization known as the U.S. Forest Service and Park Service manages these lands today.” Bernie smiled a bit and added as an afterthought, “Actually the first National Park was Bogd Khan Mountain National Park in Mongolia around 1778. It was established for the same reasons that Lewis and Clark recommended on returning from their expedition in 1806 - the establishment of a Sasquatch national zone without alerting or alarming the world at large. Though the Sasquatch have a natural ability to suppress short-term memories of humans that come into contact with them, it has a limit. Establishing large areas of natural and human-limited zones has kept the peace between The Sasquatch and most of the civilized world.“

Bernie pointed toward the dead device. “That was a ruse. For reasons I’m not cleared to disclose, that machine gave off a low energy signature that The Sasquatch stay clear. I was hoping to buy us enough time to be either rescued or plan an exit.” He warmed his hands over the fire. “Our time ran out.”

 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sasquash.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	83168  
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-20-2020 at 02:02 AM.
  #2  
Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 AM
SalmonMax's Avatar
SalmonMax SalmonMax is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 2307
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Posts: 1,362
Death Otter came over midway through Bernie's speech. She'd been digging through the shuttle's access panels and guts for much of the past daylight time, while others hunted. She'd found a treasure trove of things within as well. Conduit pipes that could be fitted together to make frames for not only makeshift backpacks, but also snowshoes that...when fitted with insulation cloth from the electrical system, fit over and around one's shoes. Then she'd ripped the ship's control console apart, but the damage there had been more pronounced. Finally she did manage to salvage a metal box with a bunch of bare wires dangling from one end.

"Okay. I got us a few odds and ends." She patted the snowshoes. "These'll keep us mobile, just don't try to run in them or they'll either come off, or fall apart. The backpack is a little flimsy, but it should be good for twenty, thirty pounds...maybe more if you're careful how you wear it. This bad boy..." She held up the metal box, "...is the tuner and receiver from the shuttle's comm system. It won't work unless we can power it somehow, but I didn't find anything removable that still had a charge, so...food for thought. Keep your eyes open. Maybe we can find a cabin or something with batteries in it. Hasn't got any controls attached to it, but I should be able to use my brainz to do that."

She glanced at Magnus. "The trolls, unless they're of the internet variety, I leave to you." Then she looked at Bernie. "You're nuts, which is why I love you, but we really have to go now. Call it Sasquatch, call it yeti, call it a crazy AI that could still send hunter-killer drones after us, call it 'death by exposure and/or starvation and thirst,' but we have literally nothing but reasons to go now."

Last edited by savoylen; 02-21-2020 at 07:12 PM.
  #3  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Neil's Avatar
Neil Neil is offline
Jackie Paper's big fan.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-06-2020
RPXP: 4035
Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil
Posts: 5,642


James sits on the edge of the group looking in, listening as usual. When James has finished his tale and Otter has said her piece, demanding a course of action he had been suggesting for some time he is considerably relieved.

"We make a sled; push it pull it what ever but kit goes on the sled and we can dismantle it for transporting over any ridges. So long as we go down or at least away from the peeks, the lords will understand that we are trying to leave."

He doesn't imagine these Yeti or Sausquotch, or kotothic remnants or whatever (if ever) are friendly but there is no reason to think they are stupid either.



 
__________________
Thanks for everything Gary.

Neil will be busy until the summer at the earliest. STAY SAFE.
  #4  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 PM
ogamodyna's Avatar
ogamodyna ogamodyna is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 14305
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Posts: 7,360
Not being crazier than usual was good. Being crazy as usual had its own drawbacks, but that was a different problem. For now, Magnus was content to be habitually nuts rather than a special case. "Agreed. Time to leave. But first things first. Bernie, the explanation for the damping thingamajig is great. But it doesn't explain the extreme fitness with no real nutrition. So give, what supplies have you hidden? Because we're going to need everything to get out of here. I've got maybe a day's worth of smoked meat. And a rabbit fur blanket that the two thinner people can huddle under. What happens under the blanket stays under the blanket."

Just in case the reclusive and elusive Spaceman thought he was bluffing, Magnus retrieved the machinegun he'd kept slung and leaned on it like a staff. Just the presence of such an implement during negotiations should impart a level of seriousness. The fact that he was not as steady as usual was also beside the point, and hopefully hidden by the macho pose that doubled as support. No use scaring anyone else with his own stupid risk-taking. Maybe it would have been better to stay inside more, or take a slightly larger portion of the daily calories.
__________________
Cattle die.Kindred Die.
All men are mortal.But the good name lasts forever.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-21-2020 at 07:12 PM.
  #5  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Airdish2's Avatar
Airdish2 Airdish2 is online now
Lucky Sevens
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 1552
Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2
Posts: 641


Reuben tucked several of the makeshift knives he'd been sharpening in his belt. He sat back against the cold metal, gripping his arms tightly. "Mah Grain used tae teel me stories ay 'Am Fear Liath Mòr, th' grey man. Tall as toi cheils, wi' hair aw ower, hauntin' th' passes ay Ben MacDhui. Nae ance did he mention it hurtin' anyain, jist scarin' them awa'."

The Scot rubbed the red hair covering his cheek thoughtfully. "If we gie movin', mebbe they willnae tak' offense 'at we crashed thes ship haur."

Reuben rocked forward onto his feet and lightly jumped to the other side of the fire, sliding in uncomfortably close to Bernie. His breath smelled of undercooked rabbit and days without a toothbrush. "Sae, ye say yoo're a spook, 'en? Onie open positions fur a capable cheil sic' as myself in yer organization? Looks loch th' Body Ah signed up fur micht be up jobby creek withit a paddle"

 


  #6  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 26,948
Dr. Song keeps her arms crossed as she listens to Bernie's story. She is a smart city girl, but don't understand the cultural reference of the Yeti and Sasquatch. Educated in Korea she doesn't know much about American history, clueless about Lewis and Clark. Though she knows well about the CIA, it was part of her training. - " The CIA is infiltrated and controlled by the Sandmen and the aliens that lead them. Is that not so? How did you escape contagion? " She gazes at him, probably that lying would end up badly for him as her patience is growing thin after everything that happened to her. - " What do you know about the aliens? Who created that space station that blew up? Tell us everything now please. " Leaving sounds like a doomer plan, but they will die for sure if they stay here. - " Ok, we'll leave. But does anybody know in which direction to go and how long it will take? "


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-23-2020 at 06:55 AM.
  #7  
Old 02-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Neil's Avatar
Neil Neil is offline
Jackie Paper's big fan.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-06-2020
RPXP: 4035
Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil
Posts: 5,642

James quietly reminds Reuben, just in case he had forgetting, as so many of them seem to be forgetting so many things, "We dadnee crash." "We were landed"


 
__________________
Thanks for everything Gary.

Neil will be busy until the summer at the earliest. STAY SAFE.
  #8  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Airdish2's Avatar
Airdish2 Airdish2 is online now
Lucky Sevens
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 1552
Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2
Posts: 641


Reuben scoffed. "Tail thet tae t'missang wing, Jimmy" The Scot grinned and rubbed his hands together. "Sae tail ye what. We hed oot inta tae cold naw, an' late caution b'damned. Ah was fancin' a trake anyway."

 


  #9  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 PM
SalmonMax's Avatar
SalmonMax SalmonMax is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 2307
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Posts: 1,362
"Oh my god, everyone shut up!" Death Otter suddenly exploded. "This is the EASY part of this!! The HARD part was getting off the station and piloting the shuttle down without dying and all THAT. This is not the hard part! Just..."

She slapped her forehead, then took in a deep breath.

"Okay. We're heading south. Due south. If we find a river, we can follow it. If we see lights or hear engines, we follow that. Otherwise we go SOUTH. Because of all the directions, that is the one we know will lead to NOT SNOW. Everything else, like the stations and the CIA and the aliens and all that, can wait until we're done moving for the day. Everyone keep your gear together, stay alert, and lets get moving."

Last edited by savoylen; 02-24-2020 at 12:18 AM.
  #10  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 26,948
Sooah remains calm following Otter's outburst. - " You don't have a better reason than that to choose south? Does somebody have an idea in which direction we should go? "


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-24-2020 at 07:09 PM.
  #11  
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM
Neil's Avatar
Neil Neil is offline
Jackie Paper's big fan.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-06-2020
RPXP: 4035
Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil
Posts: 5,642

James sighs. "Situation normal"

"I already said: Down. Follow the ground, follow the valleys. Don't go up to the peaks, north south or any which way." "DOWN."

"Wish this was Yellowstone like Bernie suggest, but that would be one grand undershoot fro Banff."


 
__________________
Thanks for everything Gary.

Neil will be busy until the summer at the earliest. STAY SAFE.

Last edited by Neil; 02-24-2020 at 04:24 PM.
  #12  
Old 02-24-2020, 05:01 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,851
It's unclear when along the discussions Zella slipped out. She bundled up in a piece of canvas and her suit acquired from the locker and slipped out. At first most assumed she had simply gone outside to the outhouse. She had been very quiet - even reflective the last couple of days.

It was Timbre that yelped in the direction of the outside but then even he laid back down in the little dog 'nest' he had assembled near the warming fire in the hold. It was Bernie who's jaw dropped a bit as he called the group's attention to outside.

Zella had walked several hundred meters out toward the north and then east, to the treeline. The black wolf that had been sitting there stood but didn't startle. It seemed to be waiting for her. Just as she neared, it turned its back on her and she came up beside it. From this distance it looked like she was about to take some domesticated dog on a walk. She continued to walk the direction he was looking and he joined her in a perfect 'healed' position. By the time Bernie had closed his mouth, the both Zella and the wolf had disappeared into the treeline.

The fact that Magnus was still leveling a gun at him, and that Magnus, Reuben, Sooah and others had answers they were looking for, wasn't lost on him.

"Shall we do something about that?" he pointed to the treeline northeast." I can spend the next couple of hours trying to explain my fitness routine to you but I assure you, I'm as hungry as the next person here. I've just been conditioning for space-duty for a few years now. I can go another two weeks without food if I need to, just as long as I have water, I should be good. Once we start burning real calories, I'm not sure what my body will do." He directed those comments to Magnus.

At Reuben, "I'm sure they'd be happy to consider you... I'm sure there is something about recruitment on our website."

He looked at the group and then specifically Dr. Song, "Tell you everything." He smiled as if holding back some kind of smart remard, then looked over at the ordinance and stopped smiling.

Bernie sighed and continued, "If the CIA is infiltrated and controlled by the so-called Sandmen and some alien race, I don't know anything about that. I've seen and heard a lot conspiracy theories in my time and watched a lot on the Youtube, but that is just what it all is - hokum. Sandman is a code word for infected individuals was some kind of virus that the CDC has encountered. I did see the word, EXTANT on a file related an affected individual but I think that is just a code-word for something above my pay grade. The Wildfire facility is one of several U.S. Space Force facilities run in cooperation with my agency and NASA. The the USSF is a new entity to the public, it has been a shadow agency in operation for over a decade. Wildfire is... was, a multipurpose facility with medical facilities, supercomputing security centers, detention facilities and plans for expanding more. Most of the operational laws and process limits that applied inside the U.S. boarders do apply in space. That makes for a very efficient workflow in almost every sector."

Bernie rubbed his head as if trying to push the memory of what happened in space out of his memory. "I'm not sure what we will do now that it is out of commission. I guess we'll just have to throw in with the private sector folks." He glanced outside again, "Is that everything enough for now, or did you have more questions I shouldn't answer?"
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-24-2020 at 05:07 PM.
  #13  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 PM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 26,948
There's a silence and the Asian doctor eyebrows are a bit more severe. - " I don't believe you. How could you have not seen that the CIA was infiltrated? They kidnapped people to make experiments with technologies that are way beyond anything on earth. Wicked AI and Cyberdogs appeared normal to you? You didn't saw anything suspicious on a massive space station when humanity were able to send shuttles to the moon? " She stands up and is clearly upset. - " You will submit your mind to me immediately or we leave you behind shackled with chains for your friends to find you. I also won't object if someone here prefers to simply blow your head off to don't take any chances. We can't trust you, we don't need someone who might betray us at any moment. "


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-24-2020 at 11:15 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-25-2020, 12:09 AM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 13,851
Bernie stands matching Song move for move, "Believe me or not. That is up to you. I've done nothing since we've met that should make you believe I'd betray anyone - including my agency. Think what you will but have no idea who or what you people are other than the likely cause of the loss of one of the great assets this great country of ours had. "

"I don't know about evil AI's, cyberdogs, sandpeople or aliens. To me , it sounds like you all had some kind of shared histeria. I do know a bit about Psi, so if you think you're getting in my head to do what you want... you... are... sadly.. mistaken."
__________________
GM of: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute (2007 HOF) &
Traveller: The Third Imperium
New here? Try a New Player Solo Game for 3.5e, PF, 4e, 5e, 13th age and FATE.

Last edited by savoylen; 02-25-2020 at 12:11 AM.
  #15  
Old 02-25-2020, 01:38 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2020
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 26,948
- " Fair enough, I'm not even going to try. It's your choice if you prefer to risk dying here alone with your secrets instead of being honest with us. "

Sooah turns to the others. - " I don't feel comfortable having him following us. I strongly suggest we leave him behind. Chances are high he's with the sandmen, if not, been affiliated to the CIA who torture and experiment on people is not much better. I won't be surprised if we see him again after his... friends... saved him. Let's make sure we search him thoroughly before we leave.


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 02-25-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB