Ask the Sage: Quick Rules Questions volume 6 - DnD 3.5 and Pathfinder) - Page 163 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Game Rules
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5302
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
There are other examples here, as well, such as abilities that replace a group of features, like the Invoker Witch Patron ability which replaces Hexes gained at later levels.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 76104
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icereach View Post
Danke!
Bitte
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:03 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
And when you dive into Quigong monk.... Ugh.

Then it can get tough.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 10:17 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Pf1e: Is there a way to add sneak attack damage to splash weapons?

Last edited by Icereach; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 12:24 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
I was going to argue that you can apply it on the initial attack, but not the splash damage, but then I read the actual definition of a splash weapon. Emphasis mine:

Quote:
A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. To attack with a splash weapon, make a ranged touch attack against the target. Thrown splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don’t take the –4 nonproficiency penalty. A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target. If the target is Large or larger, you choose one of its squares and the splash damage affects creatures within 5 feet of that square. Splash weapons cannot deal precision-based damage (such as the damage from the rogue’s sneak attack class feature).
I think since the weapon actually explodes you can't target a vital area, i.e. it is, by definition, imprecise.
Baby came a month early, please stand by
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 01:29 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, that's where I got stuck, too. I wonder if an argument could be made for the Missile discovery? But if there's a feat or trait or discovery or something that's beyond debate...
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 01:56 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40891
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icereach View Post
Pf1e: Is there a way to add sneak attack damage to splash weapons?
Chek out the Underground Chemist rogue archetype.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 02:27 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
What an absolute champion, ekidnu. Many hundred thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Does the spell "wandering star motes" affect the undead?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...ng-star-motes/

I can see that by the wording in the spell, it would not. The spell says "Targets one living creature and special; see text"

And I know that DnD is a fantasy game, but... why wouldn't it affect an undead? It's not a mind affecting spell, and it doesn't require a fortitude save. It is a will save or be dazed.

Glitterdust works against undead. Why wouldn't Wandering Star Motes? Just because the author used "living" instead of just "creature" like glitterdust?
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 11:17 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46347
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
RAW, it does not, even without that verbiage. Undead are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms). And according to the spell description, it specifically IS a mind-affecting spell

It also can make sense from a gaming perspective, at least as relates to non-intelligent undead. They would simply ignore the sparklies rather than be fascinated by them.

Last edited by Squeak; Nov 19th, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 08:23 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Ah, thank you... I always forget the schools of magic thing...

So if Undead are immune to mind affecting things, why not just a "nothing with a will save" notation for them too?
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 06:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1632
Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian
Not everything with a will save is mind affecting, perhaps most notably in this case cure and most other positive energy effects allow will saves.
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 06:56 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
But, why is positive energy that heals the body (or damages it) NOT a fortitude save? Isn't a cure light wounds potion just an anti-poison?

Or isn't a poison just an anti-CLW potion? Why do you get a will save to resist a cure, but a fortitude save to resist a poison?
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 07:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1632
Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian
lore wise, I imagine that the healing is divine, so you are actually resisting the will of the divine being or ideaology that provides the healing, rather than the healing itself.

Mechanically, undead are immune to anything requiring a fortitude save that doesn't also affect objects or is harmless... so you'd have a situation where undead would be immune to positive energy effects.