Other Ryuutama: Walking the Dragon's Egg - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 17th, 2021, 09:56 PM
Levitating

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16320
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Ryuutama: Walking the Dragon's Egg

RYUUTAMA

WALKING THE DRAGON'S EGG

normal image without text wrap
Ayako Nagamori

THE PITCH

The world is a Dragon's Egg ... warmed by Travellers and the Ryuujin.

This is a world moulded by dragons. The Seasonal Dragons are the oldest, and shaped the changing mood of the world. From them were born the dragons of weather and earth. The approaching storm, the cloying fog, the growing grass - all of it can be spurred on and influenced by these aloof, unknowable creatures. They are cared for in their youth by guardian spirits known as Ryuujin. But the dragons do not feed and grow strong on regular food; they are nourished by stories of travel and nature.

You are a Traveller. Your reasons for leaving home are your own. But you have found yourself falling in with a group of other Travellers. There is no grand quest - only the road ahead, and good company along the way to help you out in times of trial and danger.

Your group is being watched over by a Ryuujin who is recording your exploits. The Ryuujin will often remain hidden, but may at times seek to guide you towards a certain destination. The stories you create through your travels feed the Seasonal Dragons, who in turn help the world bloom and transform.

You will start in the town of Olivewreath, a cosmopolitan trade hub in the Southlands. You may have grown up there, or arrived from elsewhere. There's opportunity and new lands to explore in the north, where the cat-like nekogoblins call home, but the Southlands are full of rich sights to see as well. And what lies beyond those?

Ayako Nagamori

THE SYSTEM

Ryuutama is a lighthearted game about journeys, discovery and nature. It lends itself towards sandbox-esque experiences where the journey matters just as much, if not more, than the destination.

In the world of Ryuutama, Travellers are a common sight. Everyone is generally expected to undertake some personal voyage in their lifetime, whether it be to see the world or fulfill some specific curiosity. Some stay abroad from their homes for a matter of months or years, and others never return at all.

To travel in Ryuutama is sometimes hard and often perilous, but Travellers aren't out to save the world from disaster. Their lot is more to deal with pesky monsters threatening crops, or catch a crafty thief who's stolen a festival ornament, or to brave a strange new pocket of nature filled with magic. Your deeds will still matter, and your stories will still nourish.

The nuts and boltsRyuutama is like a 'step die' system. Your four attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Spirit) are assigned a type of die - your Strength might be a d8 while your Intelligence is a d4. Every check in the game uses a combination of two attributes: sneaking is [DEX+DEX], while casting magic would use [INT+SPR].

Journeying through wilderness and reacting to circumstances such as terrain, weather and unexpected fortune (or misfortune) is a large part of the game. Every day a Traveller rolls for their 'Condition' to help determine how they feel for the day - additional checks will also be made for travel, navigation and camping. The result can bolster a Traveller for the day, or impose a negative status. Part of the daily rhythm is responding in-character to how these checks fit in with your Traveller. Is your Condition low today because you gorged yourself on those funny-smelling nuts and have a stomach-ache? Is your Condition high because your spirits were lifted from the sight of a sun dragon at dawn?

As GM, I will technically have a character as well: the Ryuujin watching over the Travellers. Most of the time I'll be a background presence at most, but occasionally a Ryuujin may intervene more directly in affairs. This intervention can range from subtle guidance to dramatic salvation.

Combat is a part of the game, but not all fights have to be brutal, bloody affairs.

Ayako Nagamori

THE WORLD

This is a world of magic and wonder. Dragons exist in the wild, and are elemental creatures of nature that mostly keep to themselves. They bring natural change with them. A mist dragon will trail fog in its wake, while dragons attuned to prairies or grasslands may cause exponential growth of plant life.

Other spirits, phenomena and intelligent beings inhabit the wild places between towns and settlements - some known, and others less so.

Ryuutama has framework for its world, but no concrete setting. We will detail the world together as we create our characters and travel.

Right now the only defined town is Olivewreath. The only defined 'regions' are:
  • The Southlands: a small parcel of land against the Southern Ocean. Lots of small villages and farmland.
  • Neko-no-Basho: a region mostly dominated by woods and highlands, its unofficial border a couple days north of Olivewreath. It is the domain of the nekogoblins: cat-like humanoids who have traditionally lived in tribal societies, but now foster small city-states and trade communities.

Ayako Nagamori

TRAVELLER PITCH

I don't need huge walls of text for any of these fields - just have fun with some flavour.

Name: What do you answer to?

Race/Origin: Tell me who you are, and a little about your family and hometown (or homeland).
You may be either a human or a nekogoblin. I'm not using the supplement build for nekogoblins; instead, you get a single bonus trait as a nekogoblin:

Cat's Way: You do not suffer from journey check penalties regarding night weather. However, you may suffer additional penalties during rainy weather.

Both humans and nekogoblins are diverse and wide-spread, so feel free to use the existing regions as a basis for your hometown, or create your own distant point of origin.
Class: Choose a class from the list below.

Type: Choose one. Are you Attack Type (tougher, and better in combat), Technical Type (nimbler, and more versatile at passing skill checks) or Magic Type (can cast spells)? (See below for a little more detail on magic.)

Personal Item: Something you carry that you have an emotional bond with.

Appearence: Image optional. Either way, tell me a little about usual appearance and dress.

Attitude: Tell me a little about your character's personality, behaviour and quirks. Any particular likes/dislikes (foods, animals, just cute stuff in general)? Any interesting mannerisms or quirks? How do you treat friends, enemies or strangers?

Reason for travelling: you might have a personal goal or 'quest'. Or you might just have a bout of wanderlust. Optional response here.

APPLICATION WINDOW CLOSED - RESERVE APPLICANTS STILL WELCOME

I'm looking for roughly I reserve the right to raise or lower this depending on responses3-5 players players interested in a more light-hearted adventure, and are open to letting dice checks feed into their role-play. The tone will often be playful and a little goofy.

Having the core book is not a requirement. I'll provide general aid and notes, and the game will be newcomer-friendly. If you would like to check out the book, it's available for purchase at DTRPG and itch.io.

The game will start in late Jan / early Feb. I'll be writing at least 1 main post a week, plus any minor 'validation posts' I can squeeze in to update conversations and keep scenes lively. For players, please be able to check in at least once per week.

Ayako Nagamori

RyuutamaWanderhome [OPEN RECRUITMENT]

Last edited by HotsuSama; Dec 19th, 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Levitating

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
PLAYERNAMEORIGINCLASS/TYPESTATUS
SeeksRaziyaNekogoblin from the Shishi tribeHealer/Magic (Summer)Done!
KaigenZacharyHuman from OlivewreathMerchant/Magic (Spring/Winter)Done!
ErmineKiNekogoblin from southern Olivewreath landsMinstrel/TechnicalDone!
Howling Winds ofMiraiNekogoblin from the Ichamari tribeHunter/AttackDone!
10DocBauerHuman from the distant County of ChaunceyFarmer/TechnicalDone!
AmargaMr. Wulfwin CobblerHuman from a Southlands farming communityArtisan/AttackDone!
MitsukiKatheryn 'Kate' WyndellHuman from a barony in the SouthlandsNoble/Technical or Magic (Spring)Done!

Responses to queries

Do you have a particular type of Ryuujin in mind for chronicling this journey?

Either Midori (main theme = exploration) or Ao (main theme = character relationships). Haven't made a final decision yet, as both of them represent part of my intentions here. Let's say Ao. Exploration will feature regardless of the choice of Ryuujin, so I'll lean into relationships.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Dec 19th, 2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 11:45 PM
Lion lion, burning bright

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 906
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
YES. Absolutely YES. I do have the PDF from DriveThruRPG, but I appreciate you keeping things newbie-friendly.

Name: Raziya
Race: Nekogoblin
Origin: Father was a warrior, and mother is a healer. Her family comes from the Shishi tribe, who resemble lions and of whom many are proud warrior-heroes among Neko-no-Basho.

Class: Healer
Type: Attack or Magic (Summer); not sure which one right now, will probably decide based on party needs.
Personal Item: A leather-bound journal, seemingly bought from a human trader, and properly sized for a nekogoblin. There's a fiery paw print design etched onto the cover.

Appearance: Standing about 4', sandy fur with a cute reddish-brown tail tuft, blue-violet eyes, rounder ears than most nekogoblins. Scarlet chest wrap, stitched linen skirt, bronze bracelets, red leather anklets. Has a small bronze pot with a strong herbal scent, like those that her race wear on their heads, but it's usually hanging by its handle on a cherry wood staff.

Attitude: Cheerful and always willing to lend a hand paw, sometimes at her own expense. Brave, but mostly when others need her to be. She can get very angry when under duress, and doubly so if her mama bear cat instincts are being triggered by endangered loved ones. Despite this, she (usually) doesn't hold grudges for long and can show mercy to her enemies. Naive, hard on herself, and gets snide when talked down to. Despite how close-knit she can be, she's irrationally afraid of others reading her journal, and recharges best when she's alone and writing or drawing in it. Downright bubbly among friends, tense but fearless against enemies, and hopeful of strangers' good intentions.

Quirks
  • Loves to eat (especially if meat's involved), and sleeps in too long.
  • Spends every other morning practicing katas with her staff and exercising.
  • Reacts with a "mreow?" in place of "huh?", "hmm?", et cetera.
  • Often sells or gives away things that are gathering dust.
  • Never has much money or many possessions for long.

Likes and Dislikes
+ Food (especially venison and similar meats), dancing, martial arts, being cozy, warm fires
- Bullies, water, bugs, greedy people, pork from domestic pigs (boars and hogs are fine)

Reason For Traveling: To go on adventures like a hero would, and to make friends along the way.

Suddenly, a summer breeze, and a mighty lion roar~ ♪
Oathbound

Last edited by Seeks; Dec 19th, 2021 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Deciding to go with Magic-type, given party comp; I like that we have two of each type, heheh
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 11:50 PM
Floof

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2095
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
I don't think I can pass up a chance to apply for a Ryuutama game. I'll edit in something here once I've come up with a character.

Edit: Do you have a particular type of Ryuujin in mind for chronicling this journey?

Character ApplicationName: Zachary
Origin: Human from Olivewreath
Class: Merchant
Type: Magic (season TBD, leaning Spring or Winter)
Personal Item: A colorful woven bookmark
Appearance: Long silver hair tied back with a ribbon; Thin and bony build with a youthful, but angular face (clean-shaven); wears a lot of gray and black clothing, half-moon spectacles; walks with a staff or cane.
Attitude: Friendly and talkative, but has a tendency to get lost in reading.
  • Dislikes: Humidity, temperature extremes, the pridefully ignorant.
Reason for traveling: Wanderlust, but also interested in finding rare books. Dreams of founding a library in Olivewreath.

Last edited by Kaigen; Dec 18th, 2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding in application
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 12:23 AM

Tools
User Statistics
That's a great question, Kaigen! I'd be interested in any Ryuujin character but Kuro myself, and am kinda biased toward Ao. Apparently Kurenai helps the game feel more like D&D, but also isn't quite what Ryuutama is all about from afar.

For those not in the know? Basically there's Midori (for travel campaigns and beginner GMs), Ao (for relationships and Miyazaki vibes), Kurenai (for combat and dungeon crawls), and Kuro (for darker themes and intrigue). As Hotsu mentioned, it's for a GMPC who watches and guides from afar, but also for the campaign themes as well.

Oathbound

Last edited by Seeks; Dec 18th, 2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 12:39 AM
Levitating

Tools
User Statistics
Hello there! Seeks I was wondering if I should PM you but looks like that wasn't necessary!

Good question on the Ryuujin. I hadn't made a final decision but it'll be either Ao or Midori.

Old Dec 18th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3677
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Yeah I've been wanting to give this game a shot for a while. Looks mega-cozy
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 06:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3078
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
I was hooked in by the amazing ad (and the amazing art in it). Not super familiar with the system, but, how can I not build somehting for this? This looks too cool!
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Levitating

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Amarga and Howling! 'Cozy' is a good word for it.

Old Dec 19th, 2021, 02:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2731
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
I'm so tempted to join this, but I'll need to get the rules because this is the first I've even heard of this. IF I do, I'll edit a character into this post. It'll be a nice contrast to all the dark fantasy games I'm in/running. (And if I'm in, my vote would be for Ao).

Ki the NekogoblinName: Kidaru, Ki for short. Actually, just Ki. She doesn't like her full name. She knows the origin of it, and doesn't want to discuss it. Ever.

Race/Origin: Nekogoblin from the southern end of Olivewreath

Class: Minstrel, though Dancer may be more accurate, since she plays no instruments and she hasn't sung in public ever (though she's quite good).

Type: Technical, but she wishes she were more magical.

Personal Item: A well-crafted sanshin. She doesn't know how to play it yet, but it's something she wants to learn while she travels, probably to the annoyance of her traveling companions.

Appearance: Ki is a very smol (thinking 3'10"-ish) Angora, and is overall just...cute. Has heterochromia, with a blue eye on the right and a green eye on the left. Her tail is long and fluffy, and very clean, and her ears are large (all the better to hear new music to dance to). Her clothing is equally pristine as her fur.

Attitude: Ki likes sweets and small confections, even though they always make her fur sticky...which is just an excuse for her to lick the stickiness away! Hopeful, but nervous around new people, friend or foe. Quiet, even around friends, but eventually she'll break that habit. Ki keeps herself well-groomed, just in case. In case of what, she doesn't know, but she's sure it'll matter when the time comes. She tries her best to avoid violence when necessary, as she doesn't consider herself good at it. Nor does she want to be. Her parents are merchants, so she knows how to save money, even if she didn't take after them. Ki has a tendency to knock things over accidentally (or "accidentally". It's unclear if she's trying to).

Reason for travelling: A sudden and powerful wanderlust.

Last edited by Ermine; Dec 19th, 2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 04:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3078
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Name: Mirai
Race: Nekkogoblin
Origin: Mother was an artisan and father was a hunter, spending the majority of his days in the forest areas of Nekko-no-basho. She comes from the Ichamari tribe, who resemble panthers and many of whom are skilled hunters, providing food for the tribe year round.

Class: Hunter
Type: Attack
Personal Item: A small bone, possibly front from a foot or leg, of the first animal she tracked and killed by herself. It is dotted with specs of color, to remind her of her mother and that there are still artful things in life.

Appearance: Standing about 4'1, Mirai is a black furred kitty, witha medium length tail and yellow eyes, that she primarily uses to track down prey.
Attitude: Calm, and friendly towards others, but definitely has an edge to her demeanor, particularly when hunting or attempting to gather food for her tribe, or other travelers.

*Likes: hunting, forests, tracking other animals, arts and crafts, soft things (clothing, blankets etc.)
* Dislikes, people who disrespect nature, misty or rainy weather, mud; crowds (or lots of noise)

Reason for Traveling: She wants to see the world, go on a grand adventure, maybe even come back with some treasure and a good story!

Last edited by Howling Winds of; Dec 19th, 2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 06:57 AM
Nonplussed Witness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
10Doc 10Doc 10Doc 10Doc
Well this looks lovely! I'm a little new to the site and completely new to the game, but count me in if there's space!

Character ApplicationNAME: Bauer

Race: Human

Origin: Bauer hails from the quaint County of Chauncey, far, far away from Olivewreath. Chauncey is prosperous but ever-expanding as a result.

Class: Farmer

Type: Technical; though he got his start as a farmhand, he showed an aptitude for math and writing young, and was eventually made an administrator for Chauncey's agriculture industry.

Personal Item: A carved wooden birdcall on a leather string. His very young son made it for him with the help of a family friend.

Appearance: Tall and lanky, but with weirdly big shoulders. Has ruddy brown hair that sticks up in the front and a thin beard and sideburns. His hands are massive, but his long fingers make him surprisingly dexterous with a pen. Typically wears simple and sturdy work clothes, with just a splash of more colorful fabric here and there (typically a dark green). Travels with a huge backpack full of camping gear and surveyor's equipment.

Attitude: His true attitude can be a little hard to pin down; as an administrator he has to deal with people of all classes and professions, and to help things go smoothly he often switches tone depending on who he's dealing with. He can be friendly, professional, or intimidating as the situation demands, though maintaining all these different faces makes it a little hard for him to talk to people in groups. When alone (or with people he trusts), Bauer's true nature shines through: the man is utterly peaceful. He delights in quiet moments filled with small pleasures, like cracking a fresh loaf of bread or watching the winds blow waves in the grass. It is extremely difficult to wrong him in a way he won't immediately forgive, provided you apologize.
  • Likes: Quiet, Weekends, Fresh-cooked meals, Rain, Reading something besides ledgers for a change
  • Dislikes: Being busy, Rude people, Pettiness, Early mornings

Reason for Traveling: The Count of Chauncey's idiot son will soon be coming of age, and to prevent him from mucking up the holdings his father has taken such pains to build, he has dispatched Bauer to work as a surveyor to find a new frontier for him to settle. The spoiled young noble is very particular about the type of town he wants to build, and has given Bauer a long list of traits to look for.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Levitating

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Ermine and 10Doc! Wow, we've got a few good characters here already ...

Old Dec 19th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3677
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Wulfwin CobblerName: Mr. Wulfwin Cobbler

Race/Origin: A human from a small farming community in the Southlands. Happily married and with a full set of grandchildren, Wulfwin has a son set to take over the family shoe making business.

Class: Artisan (Shoemaker)

Type: Attack type

Personal Item: An old, knitted scarf, given to him by his wife.

Appearence: Wulfwin Cobbler is an old man, with a broad frame that is a bit rounded from a less than vigorous lifestyle. He dresses in the simple yet tough clothing of a craftsman, often donning his apron and toolset as a matter of habit. Wulfwin has a bushy beard and a round pair of spectacles that help him with his day-to-day life.

Attitude: Wulfwin is a quiet, cheerful old man whose smile is never far from his face. A lifetime of curiosity has led to him wanting to see a bit of everything, and sometimes the youthful whims he indulges in can lead him to making poor decisions (all the worse for his wife Emi not being around to set him straight). Wulfwin loves horses, and sometimes wishes he had become a smith so he could make horseshoes instead. He very much dislikes carrots, and thinks that no good salad or soup should have anything to do with carrots. Wulfwin greets everyone with a welcoming smile and a solid handshake, which is only polite and right to do. A proper "Good day" or "good morning" is of course something given to friends, enemies and strangers alike, though his tone and expression would be Wulfwin's only tell to the sincerity of that greeting.*

Reason for travelling: Wulfwin had always been an adventurous young man, or at least he had felt he had been, and liked to wander the less trod paths of his hometown. But then came responsibility, helping his father with work, doing chores, fixing things as they needed fixing. Then came a girl, who he doted on and courted as best he knew. And then came marriage, with all of its responsibilities at the same time as him taking more work at his father's shop. Then came children and full ownership of the shop. And so on and so forth until now, quite old, with a full life behind him, plenty of grandchildren, a successful shoemaking shop and very few regrets, Wulfwin decided that it was time to do something he had always wanted to do.
So he left a bundle of flowers with his wife's headstone, left his shop with his eldest son, left a good memory with his grandchildren, and left for the wider world.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Oh my, that was quick! Surprised that half the party is nekos, too. As we've got plenty of Attack-types, I shall have Raziya be Magic-type after all. Looking forward!

Oathbound