RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23158
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
Y’all, Drachenspirit is a great DM, player, and collaborator. If it weren’t for the fact that I’ve grounded myself from character creation (and that I’ve already dropped out of this game due to my inactivity), I’d be all over applying for a slot.
Right back atcha for that first part Numen Wraith! And, Thanks! Well, not for dropping out, but for the vote of confidence.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 04:25 PM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1271
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
I have an idea for a dragonborn paladin. I'll put together an app soon.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14329
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
I'm very tempted to apply. Can I ask a probably dumb question? You have a cleric in the party yet say you're looking for a character who can heal; is the adventure just that dangerous?
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11717
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
A Woman of the Line
Name : Demyani Zoya

Race : Variant Human
Classes : Fighter : Arch-type Battle Master - Polearm Master : Sheet
Alignment : Good

Ideal : Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.

Bond :
Ontharr Frume, a crusading warrior and champion of good, is your friend and mentor. He has asked you to travel to Greenest in search of rumors of increasing dragon activity.

Flaw: I made a terrible mistake in battle that cost many lives--and I would do anything to keep that mistake secret.

Physical Description/Personality:

Compared to others that stand in a line, shoulder to shoulder, shield to shield, purpose to purpose, I am smaller than most. Of the women of my birth, I am also smaller than most. But that never bothered me much nor, after a while, those the shared the line with me. My nose is yet un-broken and I've thin scars upon my cheek and chin. I, perhaps, would rather it tarnished a bit more as, although it is obvious that I know my way around battle and war, it seems I still have'ta prove it to men wherever and whenever I am some place new. And to tell the truth, I'm tired. Tired of saying my name more than once so'as they use it and tired of teaching them the hard way. But them days seem mostly over now that I'm with Ontharr, at least the wandering on my own. I'm still runnin from what I did. How I failed everyone that I loved and lost them for it. I'm certain my mother would understand if she was alive, but she's not, nor are the rest of them. That's what a moment of mercy buys someone like me.

One of my front teeth crosses over the other, but few notice it as I don't smile often unless I'm close. And there hasn't been time for that. My laugh, if I remember it for how it sounds, is not oafish as some would suspect but light. It runs short and tends to fade away ending at the last in my eyes rather than stop short. It is a sunlit round thing, my laugh. Sometimes, when I'm alone on the road, I think it a shame I lost it with everything else. But then I remember what I did and realize I don't deserve what I had before. They deserved better from me than such an error. You never think when you're young that you'll screw things up soo badly that you can't fix it until the world educates you and you realize that some mistakes can't be fixed. Their outcomes are permanent and you have no power to defend against it. To make it right. It is what it is and the world doesn't care about apologies or wishing you could do it all over again.

But you can't. A mistake like mercy can't be undone.

Background :

My mother named me life because we give what we're given to protect others. She gave hers to protect me. And I failed her.

I am from the Hartsvale. My people have trained for war and walked with giants for centuries. Briana is a model of our strength. We are tested upon the High-Ice and against the Ogres of the Ice-spire. We hold the line. We give no ground. We pledge to protect. We do not give quarter or mercy. But I did, once.

I stood in the lines at the tip of the Frozen Sea against men and other things from lost Ascore that attempted to take the 'Vale during the winter of my seventeenth name day. My village was closest to those areas and my people knew them well. The fighting was no more difficult that any dying. War is war. It doesn't waste time taking, but we are made for it so our losses are usually small. In the third week while out on reconnaissance I trapped a scout, or what I thought was a scout, at the edge of our encampment. He seemed young to me at the time. Scared and groveling. Skinny.

So I trussed him up and brought him in instead of runnin him through as I should have.

He was not just some skinny kid. And because I let him live, I lost everything else.

His actions turned the tide of the conflict for a brief moment and we lost position, retreated leagues, left a whole battalion to sacrifice themselves to make our movement not in vane. Men and women I had known, grew up with, trained with, drank with. Wiped out to protect as we repositioned at a place inside the 'Vale from where I was born. My place, my birth place. I lost it along with soo many people I had known who attended my childhood. It is no longer a place in the 'Vale. It is burnt ground. All because of a moment of mercy.

Of those that know of that day and what I did during it, none are alive except me and him. He fled south once the 'Vale rebounded from that defeat and routed that foul army of men and other things. And because there wasn't any place for me to return to, I fled south also, partly out of despair and in some small way hoping to track him down and make amends. I've fought in many skirmishes and under many banners since then and I've yet to find that skinny trickster. Maybe I'll never find him. Maybe that's my lot.

I met Ontharr at the Bridge to Kallae. He was on one side and I on the other. Sometimes things work out that way. When your'a vagrant lines-woman and hire'up, its not uncommon ta find yourself on the wrong side of the line. Since I left the 'Vale, its happened ta me a few times or seven. I'm not proud of it but I we're all young once and everyone needs ta eat. We was bloody the first time I saw his grin, circling each other on that muddy red ground. My banner had fallen some time ago and his was yet standing. Yet, in that mayhem and uncertainty, he sheathed his sword in the ground and yielded, arms flung wide, smile bigger than the world. From that moment, I was his bonds-woman. My arms were his. My shield were his. I'd stand in any line he deemed worthy and fight for causes he decided. I learned a lot from Ontharr and I owe him more than for just that day. I owe him for every day thereafter.

I know it. And he knows it. We just don't talk about it.

He tried to tell me we're even. Inside, somewhere deep, I know that to be true. But what he gave changed me and I'll follow his orders.......requests for as long as I will breath.

I don't hunt for the skinny wizard any more. Nor do I really look and ask about him at every place I rest. I've let go of that hunt even if I haven't let go of my mistake. It will be in my skin until the moment of my death and I imagine it will be the last thing I really think about as I bleed out and struggle to breath, eyes dimming until nothing takes me and I finally forget.

Last edited by GeneT; Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7150
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Right back atcha for that first part Numen Wraith! And, Thanks! Well, not for dropping out, but for the vote of confidence.
Aww, shucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I'm very tempted to apply. Can I ask a probably dumb question? You have a cleric in the party yet say you're looking for a character who can heal; is the adventure just that dangerous?
Not an official position, but it's a war cleric and they're third level. They're not quite out of "one-bad-roll-is-a-TPK" territory yet.
Posting Rate: Normal? | Discord: Numen Wraith#9817
Characters: Drystan the Red|Anders Foundlingson|Jan Gauss|Breton Guan|Hittebarn|Quelludorn Slagaxe|Schtphjørnie Tookenmind
DMing: Soon. Watch this space.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 08:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
Kinda like Numen said. Said character is a frontline combatant, and prefers it that way. This puts the group's sole healer at risk more times than not. We're all fine with that (DM and players alike), but it wouldn't hurt to have another character who can heal in some form or fashion - like a Bard, Aasimar, or paladin, or what have you.
Won't really sway my decision if other apps are just that good, but I wanted to mention it.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
aahhhh - good information! thanks for asking @numenwraith

i think i'll rethink my app

Last edited by chri2m; Jun 28th, 2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sanka Timonius - the humblest of clerics
right-aligned image
Name: Sanka Timonius
Race: Variant Human
Class: Life Cleric
Alignment: Neutral Good
Appearance: Sanka is tall and stick-thin, although his armour seems to bulk him out significantly. He stands with his back straight, like a soldier on parade, never slouching or showing any sign of being weary. He keeps his vestments spotless, as Lathander would wish, without the aid of magical trickery, preferring to remove grime through hard work and the liberal application of soap. He is always clean-shaven and his dark brown hair is kept closely cropped so that he need never worry that it might get in the way. His hands are calloused but clean, and his fingernails are always trimmed.

Personality: It's funny, you would think that somebody who is so devoted to their god, to helping the needy and defending the weak, would be the most popular of fellows, wouldn't you? But for some reason people often find Sanka to be slightly annoying. This never deters him, however, as he knows that virtue and popularity seldom agree. He consoles himself that he doesn't need the approval of others to know that he is doing the right thing, and, in fact, the ox detests the prodding stick, but without it the beast would be aimless and lost.

Sanka is a serious man, he always has been. He believes very deeply that he has a sacred duty to help those who need it (i.e. everyone), and that the best way to do so is to encourage them to help themselves. Of course, the first step to self-improvement is to identify your failings, so Sanka's most sacred duty is to point out the failings of those he meets so that they may know where best to concentrate their efforts. It is thankless work, but so too are all of the most important tasks.
BackgroundBackground: Inheritor
Personality Traits: My words are not meant as insults, think of them as spurs to drive thee to greatness.
I randomly throw archaic words into the middle of otherwise normal sentences.
Ideal: Humility. There can be no greater virtue than doing great deeds with no thought of recognition nor reward.
Bond: It is a great honour to bear Lathander's Blessing, and I must do great things to prove myself worthy.
Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring at you from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.
Flaws: Some would say I take myself a little too seriously. I would say unto them; REPENT!
Although I am diligent in helping others to identify their failings, I find it more difficult to do the same for myself.
Character History: Once, he was known simply as Sanka. His family were simple folk and they could scarcely feed themselves, so when Sanka was yet a small boy they presented him to the local temple to be trained as a clergyman. The boy was never a favourite of his teachers, and perhaps as a result he did not really excel in any of his studies. This never worried him, however, and he just got on with the simple duties that were expected of him; cleaning chicken coops, emptying chamber pots, polishing the stained-glass windows until the dawn light could shine through them with kaleidoscopic glory. Unlike the other acolytes, he was never distracted by earnest discussions about different theological interpretations, nor did he find he had a rebellious streak and sneak out of the dorms after dark to carouse in the nearest village. He simply got on with his tasks.

Morninglord Vitellius was the highest ranked priest at the temple, and in fact many said that his connection to the Dawnfather was such that he could easily have been put in charge of one of the great temples, in Dagger Falls or Eveningstar. Why he had chosen to spend so many decades in the most minor of shrines was a mystery, but the clergy were grateful for his leadership. When he died it was barely a blip on Sanka's perception; nothing could change for him. The night-soil would still need emptied and the chickens would go on with their little lives. So it was as much of a shock to him as it was to everybody else when he was named as Vitellius' heir! He was granted the Uncommon magic item: Guardian EmblemDawn Mantle, and with it the jealousy of all of those around him. What could possibly have got into the old priest to decide such a thing?

My heir shall be the most humble of our order, he had written in his will, for from humility comes true wisdom, and the most lowly of the Dawnfather's servants would benefit most from His blessing.

Nobody could deny that Sanka was the most lowly of their number, and the dying wish of the old Morninglord had to be respected, so they had reluctantly ordained young Sanka, who hadn't yet seen his sixteenth year, as a priest, consoling themselves that when he eventually realised that he wasn't well-suited to the order, the Dawn Mantle would once again be passed to one of the proper clergy.

To Sanka, the inheritance was eye-opening. He had never been chosen for anything, and now he had been pulled forth from obscurity and given a power that many great men would have prayed themselves hoarse to obtain! It had to mean something, didn't it? The Dawnfather worked through his followers, so surely His hand had to have been in this!

With grave sobriety and forethought, Sanka chose a new name; Timonius. A humble shrub, with modest fruit and little in the way of alchemical powers, yet it did have some, perhaps just enough. He then took to his study with renewed purpose, slowly yet surely catching up to his more distractible peers. He found theology to be comfortingly boring, and read the many books about moral interpretations and ethical quandaries with a studious detachment. When asked, he could recite the main thrusts of each viewpoint but would never venture his own opinion, instead invariably shrugging; "Such things are not for me to say."

As he began to get integrated ever deeper into the temple, he found many things that he didn't like. Even the most outspoken commenters on virtue themselves had faults. How could this be? He knew by the miracles that they wrought that they were beloved of Lathander, and yet they were… flawed. The Dawnfather deserved perfect subjects, and so he took it as his duty to help them, to call out sin and corruption wherever he found it so that his brothers could grow closer to the perfection that they all desired.

Shortly thereafter he found himself on the road, delivering the Dawnfather’s word to all who needed it. He was happier as an itinerant preacher, not needing to worry about the politics of the vestry, or deal with the shouting which inevitably followed the pricking of a large ego. He missed the chickens, though.

Years passed and Sanka found his connection to the divine strengthening, even without access to the books or relics of the temple. This was all the confirmation that he needed that he was on the right path.

Last edited by Lazer; Jun 29th, 2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Current Applications
CHARACTER
CLASS
RACE
PLAYER
Sanka Timonius Life Cleric Variant Human Lazer
Demyani Zoya Fighter - Battlemaster Human GeneT

See Post #238 for application requirements.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 29th, 2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11717
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
I've added the majority bits of a sheet and linked it in the app.

Last edited by GeneT; Jun 29th, 2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
I've added the majority bits of a sheet and linked it in the app.
Thanks!
I'm tempted to just take the two apps put in and move on.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Don’t get our hopes up, Drach!
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Well, chri2m has expressed interest, so I'll wait for the deadline to make a decision.
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 12:35 AM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Well, chri2m has expressed interest, so I'll wait for the deadline to make a decision.
thanks Drach. i'm gonna withdraw. maybe i'll be able to join one of your games in the future. have fun all!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 12:18 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1047
pallen pallen pallen pallen pallen pallen pallen pallen
right-aligned image

Character Name: Rezien

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Warlock

Description: Rezien is a tall man, lean and sure-footed. His skin is tanned, as if he spends a lot of time outdoors. He looks as if he's from somewhere else, but it's difficult to determine where. His clothing is plain, but immaculate. His leather armor and cloak look brand new, and his boots don't have a speck of mud on them. His cloak is clasped with a simple silver pendant. On his belt, opposite his coin pouch and knife, a large book is held in place by a cunning series of leather straps. In his hand, he carries an ornate walking stick, topped with a strange purple-pink crystal.

Rezien wears his dark brown hair long enough to cover his ears, with a neatly manicured beard. Both hair and beard are streaked with gray. His brow has faint wrinkles, making him appear that he's always concentrating on something. And he's neither ugly nor handsome. He appears mostly unassuming, except for his eyes. They are golden, and reflect the light so that they sometimes appear to be glowing faintly.

Personality: Rezien is a bit of a mess.

When he puts concious effort into it, he can be a compassionate, even friendly person. He is respectful and conscientious. He is thoughtful, observant, and charitable. But when he lets his guard down, he's proud and self-righteous, often believing that if everyone just did what he said, the world would be a much better place.

He's also a bit of a fish out of water -- his memory is perfect from the last seven months. Beyond that, all he can remember is snippets and vague recollections. He speaks several languages, but can't remember learning them. He's an expert at history and the arcane, but can't remember where he studied them. He's skilled at negotiations and reading people, but can't remember his family or a single friend.

All he knows for certain is that he has been exiled, and is being punished for his past behaviors. He carries a book full of wisdom and teachings of how to be a better person. He doesn't remember who gave him the book, but knows that it's the key to finding redemption.

And for some reason, he's fascinated by gold.

Background: Far Traveler/Dragon Scholar
  • Trait 1: I have a strong code of honor or sense of propriety that others don't comprehend.
  • Trait 2: I express affection or contempt in ways that are unfamiliar to others.
  • Ideal: Reserved. As someone new to these strange lands, I am cautious and respectful in my dealings (Lawful)
  • Bond: I have a secret that even I'm mostly unaware of. I once was a gold dragon who served Bahamut. But I was too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach me a lesson. I have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with the memories of my former life but a dim shadow. I remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut's command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If I prove worthy, on my death I will return to his side in my true form.
  • Flaw: I am fascinated by gold and gems, and will take extreme risks to acquire more of them.

Character History:
Rezien doesn't remember much from before.

But he dreams of flying. Of soaring through the clouds, watching an immense shadow cross the ground below. He dreams of supplicants, asking for his wisdom or for passing judgement on the unworthy. He dreams of treasures, of gold and gems and magic.

He dreams of his exile. Of everything being stripped away from him.

He remembers (or was it a dream?) the last few words of his friend (brother? sister?) "I cannot save you, Telaurexian. I cannot reverse your punishment. After this, I cannot ever speak to you again. But I have been allowed to leave you a gift. It contains the wisdom and teachings of our kind. Keep it with you, always. And may the Light guide you back to us."

After that, Rezien remembers everything. He remembers the dirt on his clothing, the stink of the towns, the aches and pains of walking everywhere. He remembers feeling small and weak and frightened. He remembers the moment that he looked at a small child, crying, red-faced, snot running out of his nose. And Rezien realized there was no difference between this child and who he was now.

And he remembered, for just a moment, that this was the lesson that he was supposed to learn.

And so Rezien has done what he could to learn what it is to be a person. He has tried to re-learn compassion, mercy, and empathy. He has been somehwat less successful at learning humility. And now that he's started to get the hang of this "being a person" thing, he's decided to make the best of it, follow the Light, and work to make amends for...whatever it is that he did. Although he's been working at it, alone, for some time now, Rezien has realized that he might need the help of others to accomplish his goal.

And lately, he's begun to have new dreams. Not of his past, whatever that was, but of the future. Of evil dragons, razing the land. When he wakes, he doesn't remember much. Just the name of a town -- Greenest.

Character Sheet: Link here

Last edited by pallen; Jul 2nd, 2021 at 12:28 PM.