Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 27th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32094
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Get To Know A Gamer: Wynamoinen

Programming noteAstra has been away from the site for a month, but some folks (myself included) remained in the GTKAG queue. So I'll take over, making a new thread weekly, at least until the queue clears or Astra returns.

Get to Know a Gamer
Self-Indulgent Edition

Hello everyone. This thread is the next installment in a series of threads on a somewhat-weekly basis where we get to know members of the RPGX community by having informal "Ask Me Anything"-type threads. In essence, I am going to post some icebreaker questions to which the subject will reply and then the thread will remain open for Q&A until it isn't fun any more.

If you would like to be a victim interviewed, if you have feedback on GTKAG or on the questions themselves, follow this link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?p=8981519

Some reminders:
  1. All site rules of course still apply (i.e. keep it PG, no dox, etc.)
  2. Nobody's obliged to answer any questions they don't want to answer
  3. Please keep in mind the risks of sharing info online.
  4. It is okay to ask questions in advance; no need to wait for the victim to respond to the opener.

Now without further ado, some opening questions to break the ice!

QuestionnaireWhat are you doing right now? (besides answering this)
What do you like about your town? (and where is that?)
What do you see when you look in the mirror?
What do you see when you look out the window?
What's your personal creed/motto?
Low-fat, non-fat or regular milk?
Pen or pencil?
Last-gen or first-gen game consoles?
Where would you vacation (if you had enough money)?
Sarcastic or ironic?

The following shamelessly stolen from the "Inside the Actor's Studio" Questionnaire:

What is your favorite word?
What is your least favorite word?
What turns you on (intellectually speaking, not sexually)?
What turns you off?
What sound do you love?
What sound do you hate?
What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
What profession would you not like to participate in?
If heaven exists what would you like to hear your supreme being of choice say when you arrive?

What is your favorite...
...music style?
...food style?
...color?
...instrument?
...ice-cream flavor?
...furniture piece?
...quote?
...video game?
...magazine?
...moment in a game (either on RPGX or IRL)?
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Hey this questionnaire doesn't include questions on how wise and dapper the questioner is! Ah well, when in Rome...

BasicsWhat are you doing right now? (besides answering this)
Dreading the email queue of post-semester student complaints (and maybe a thank-you or two) that are sitting in my inbox, which I've allowed to pile up over the holiday weekend.

What do you like about your town? (and where is that?)
I have lived in a series of Midwestern college towns. They're great! My current town is big enough to have one or two of basically any store or service you'd ever want, but it's small enough to bike all the way across in 30 minutes, or drive in 15. The amenities of bigger cities is within reach, but I don't need to deal with big-city headaches on the day-to-day.

What do you see when you look in the mirror?
Beardy glasses man. My hair is getting curlier and greyer as I age, but I don't think I quite look "old" yet.

What do you see when you look out the window?
If I was literally out the window, I'd see a nice new-fallen snow. But the storm also brought ice, so all my windows are glazed in ice and I mostly see a shiny white blur as I try to look THROUGH the window.

Personal Creed/Motto:
It's a quote good enough that I bought a shirt (from dinosaur comics) to proclaim it to the world: “Today I screwed up, but not as badly as I could have.”

Low-fat, non-fat or regular milk?
Skim. Though the oat milk fad as gotten its hooks into me.

Pen or pencil
Pen! Preferably a Pilot pen, fine tip.

Last-gen or first-gen game consoles?
Both? I missed the Xbox 360/PS3 generation as I desperately flailed to keep my head above water in grad school. But otherwise I played all generations, Atari 2600 to Xbox One. Don't have the recentest supply-chain-constrained generation yet, though.

Where would you vacation (if you had enough money)?
India is top of my list, followed closely by Japan. Then the British Isles. I've visited our North American neighbors and honeymooned in Ireland, but otherwise I'm pretty poorly traveled.

Sarcastic or ironic?
Ironic, I guess. I was very sarcastic in high school. But that stuff turns into cynical brain poison in too strong a dose. I became much more earnest (if still somewhat cynical) in college.

Inside the StudioFavorite word:
Hrm. Probably something like “ostensibly” or “presumably”. These are awful and pretentious, but I say them too much, so they're pretty characteristic of me.

Least favorite word:
This is a spicy take, but... "freedom." This is an entirely debased ill-defined word that's has been an empty part of the political discourse for longer than I've been alive. I've got an even spicier take along the same lines about the word "fair," but I think it's better to leave that off this particular website.

Sound you love:
Honestly I’ve been enjoying Saturday nights having a tall glass of water and listening to ethereal and/or down-home songs. Andrew Bird and Animal Collective are very cozy to me. Chvrches and Purity Ring (and Cecile Believe, recently) are more blip-bloopy, but really nice when I've had the proper amount of hydration.

Sound you hate:
Rubbing two sheets of styrofoam together.

“Turns you on” intellectually:
Contradictions. Logic doesn't want them to exist. But they do, within us all. That's true and interesting and full of drama. Another 'turn-on' is creativity. I don’ t think I’m a dummy, but I honestly don’t think I’m very creative. People who are constantly making new things are amazing.

“Turns you off” intellectually :
Arrogance / baseless confidence. It's a central affliction of my gender, and I'm sure I've got plenty of it. It's terrible. Another 'turn-off' is passivity - spending a life sitting and consuming and demanding is awful.

What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
For a while I thought I should be a public defender. Dunno if I’d actually like it, but I’d like to have tried it.

What profession would you not like to participate in?
Public relations or advertising. I’m… very uncomfortable dissembling.

If heaven exists what would you like to hear your supreme being of choice say when you arrive?
"Yup, there’s a supreme being, dog! Let’s not get all judgmental, just hop in and do your thing."

FavoritesFavorite music style
My staff profile says I like bleep-bloop electronica, boom-chick hip-hop, twing-twang americana. Algorithmic wisdom says I like “Escape Room,” “Vapor Twitch” and “Hyperpop

Favorite food style
This is tough. I think Indian has to take the cake. But Mexican and Vietnamese come in close. (There's a cumin and coriander through-line in all of this.) BBQ is regularly served in our house (Texas style, obviously!) so that must be up there as well.

Favorite color
In some abstract sense, green. I tend to wear a mix of blues and browns. I’ve very boring that way.

Favorite instrument
I was a saxophonist and drummer back in the day, so there's a place in my heart for those. Some twangy mandolin + banjo mix is hard to beat in my ears nowadays.

Favorite cheese (anticipating a question not on the official list, apparently)
Gruyère most certainly. Though I'm digging Chihuahua cheese recently. It's like that Hans Moleman gif. “I need the mildest cheese you can get!” (Other end of the phone says “grocery store mozzarella blocks”). Moleman: “No that's too mild.” Chihuahua to the rescue!

Favorite ice cream
Turkey Hill “Double Dunker” is close to perfect. Too bad it’s kind of a low-grade churn. Starbucks coffee ice cream is (was?) a very good higher quality option.

Favorite furniture piece
I’ve got my own reading easy chair in my bedroom, which is pretty good. In the realm of silly aspirations, really want a huge circular sofa though.

Favorite Quote
I’ll outsource this to my staff profile as well. “Any jackass can kick over a barn. It takes a carpenter to build one." (Sam Rayburn)

Favorite video game
By playtime, it’s far and away Warframe (on Xbox). After that, Skyrim. Then some of the old Final Fantasies (3, 6). Katamari Damacy is very good, too.

Favorite magazine
I don’t really read them. Since I gave up my Nintendo Power subscription back in 1989, the only magazine I have subscribed to was “Pottery Making Illustrated,” so I guess that must be it. But I let the subscription lapse last year and never renewed, so take that as you will.

Favorite moment in a game
Self-indulgent, but I think it must be my last post in Outplay 2017. I thought I dropped some major drama bombs and tied together a bunch of narrative arcs in very satisfying ways.

Other questionsI'm just going to anticipate Imveros’ questions:
Shadowrun, great setting, or the greatest setting?

I'm a card-carrying hater of pre-fab lore getting built into game systems. But Shadowrun is, indeed, quite possibly the greatest RPG setting. It's just an amazing, silly, dramatic, violent, complicated world. It's familiar and alien. It's High and Low. It's sci fi and fantasy. It's so good! But…

Have you ever played it before? If so or if not, what are your thoughts on it?
...your questions elide Shadowrun's real problem: the system it is shackled to. I just can't mess with it anymore. I’m also a card-carrying crunch hater, and the Shadowrun system is such an unfriendly drag. Also, the concept of expansion books? Shadowrun isn't notably bad in this realm, compared to other "big" systems like PF or D&D. But D&D 5e can easily be run with just the PHB. PF and Shadowrun aficionados (in my experience) go bananas if you suggest they can't use at least three expansion books in their build.Hate it. That's already a lot of points against. And then, PbP does Shadowrun absolutely zero favors. I frankly think it's all but unworkable in our chosen method of play here on RPGX. I'm done with Shadowrun on site, I'm sorry to say.

If you were the undisputed ruler of RPGX for a day, what would be your first royal decree?
In some ideal world, I'd mandate that every publicly-advertised game accept at least one site member with post count less than X (where X is some number between 100 and 200 that I'm not sure of).
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46140
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
What are the pros and cons of being staff?

Is there anything you wish you'd have known before accepting?
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Pros of being Staff:
  • Feels good, man. It's a way to know I'm giving back to the community. And on the day-to-day, it's not a ton of work for the Mods (the Admins are a different matter).
  • The Reds are always watching the boards, and so when cool stuff happens, I'm more likely to see it as a Red (I wouldn't click as many random threads if I wasn't a Red).

Cons of being Staff:
  • We enforce community standards, and no one likes being told they're violating community standards. So 1) we see more of the unpleasant stuff than the typical member, and 2) when we take action, we often get unpleasant push-back. For some people, that reaction is much uglier than the initial offense.
  • Since Reds can see through all secret tags, it makes us a little awkward to play with - you need to Either double-hide them with a spoiler and a secret tag, or else create a thread just for non-mod secretsbrightly flag your secrets and then trust us that we don't look. I don't look, but it still requires trust.

One of the odd things about being a mod is that I obviously have more site options than most of you. But there's no good way to observe the site as a non-mod. I can log out entirely, but that makes your options on site VERY restricted. There's no middle ground for me to see what most members can see and do.

I feel like I mostly went in to mod-dom well informed; the Admins give us time to think and ask questions before we accept, and there are enough mods that when two or three of us need time off, the rest can easily cover.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35668
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
Pros of being Staff:
  • The Reds are always watching the boards, and so when cool stuff happens, I'm more likely to see it as a Red (I wouldn't click as many random threads if I wasn't a Red).
What's a recent cool, random and relatively unknown discovery? Share a good, obscure thing about the site!
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Oof, well, I probably should have added the modifier "cool or new to me". I suspect that those of you with post counts in the tens of thousands see as much as I do or more, and have more varied experience in RPGs. I'm really not a mega-poster on the site, by any means. I'm slow and steady.

But in the interest of being constructive:
- lots of systems that I'm not aware of. For exampe, Hotsu's Ryuutama.
- the Gaming Advice section is under-used, and skews a little cranky-grognard. But some interesting ideas get discussed there.
- Obligatory hype for: Outplay and IronGM and Post of the Month

Frankly, before joining the site, I was playing D&D and Shadowrun. That was basically it. At present I'm in 4 games, and NONE of them are D&D or Shadowrun. (Though I'll be opening up an ad for Season 3 of Uncaged in the not-too-distant future ). I'm now a 75% of my current games are PbtA or closely-relatedPbtA fanboi, and it's all because of RPGX. In my life, I "discovered" it here. I've played a few WoD games for the first time, learning it through here. I've been in a few Mutants and Masterminds games, and I'm playing Cyberpunk Red right now. It's all because of this site.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 01:03 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22199
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Honestly, I had a smartass response but now I'm curious how one becomes a mod/admin.

[Not that I'd have time for it. Just curious.]
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
One of the Admins needs to decide a new mod is needed - sometimes other mods retire, sometimes we're not covering our bases or workload is going up. They'll solicit nominations from existing mods. We'll mostly consider people who are active on site outreach stuff like being a judge in our various contests or greeting newbies or running NPSG games. We'll get a list of names and then vote on it.

There isn't any sort of application process, and I don't think it happens on any super-regular schedule. We obviously like people who have been around a while, and appear likely to stick around. We look for people who have already helped out, and who we reckon are relatively level-headed (since as I mentioned, when we use our disciplinary tools, sometimes things can get confrontational, and we don't need drama).
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 08:54 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3309
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Since you already answered my usual question, what do you teach?

Playing: None. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 11:16 PM
Starlight Brigadier

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16256
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Hey, a saxophonist! Tell us about that. What kind of sax and band?

RyuutamaWanderhome [OPEN RECRUITMENT]
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 11:30 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
@Lemming23:. Ehhh… I’m a little canny about saying what I teach for doxxing reasons. I teach at the college level, in the social sciences. Leaning in the statistical/policy evaluation direction rather than the “what Bordieu was REALLY saying” direction.

@HotsuSama: I did all my sax learning on the alto, so that’s what I was best at. I was lead sax in the high school jazz band for a year (don’t ask me why; I had no funk in my soul until about junior year of college and still hate jazz to this day. I guess Big Band carried me through). But I dabbled in Tenor and I played the Baritone Sax for a year in college, which was a ball. It’s definitely my favorite-sounding sax. At one point I knew how to play the “Let Me Clear My Throat” lick, and there’s a good chance that was as cool as I ever got.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 02:42 AM
Lion lion, burning bright

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 906
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Shucks, you seem like a really nuanced and experienced guy. A few of your answers really resonate with me, from "Inside The Studio" and a hatred of excess crunch and expansion books. And I am glad you're fallen in love with PbtA games. Cool stuff, Wyna!

Oh right, questions to ask. Hmm...
- Favorite monstrous humanoid from D&D?
- Favorite PbtA game?
- Favorite comedian?

Suddenly, a summer breeze, and a mighty lion roar~ ♪
Oathbound
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeks View Post
Favorite monstrous humanoid from D&D?
Gnolls all day every day!

Quote:
- Favorite PbtA game?
That's a tough one. Monsterhearts has a special place in my heart, so that's probably going to take the prize. I suspect Urban Shadows is up there, too, but I haven't had a chance to play more than a few short sessions, so I never quite got enough info to fully judge. I've mostly tried systems that stress the melodrama and/or scheming, so I'd like to try a "cozy" system when I have space on my gaming plate.

Quote:
- Favorite comedian?
Y'know, I used to listen to "comedy records" all the time. Bill Cosby (before he was intensely problematic! The 80s were a different time, I swear!) in elementary school, Monty Python in high school, David Cross in college. But I really haven't listened to / watched a stand up set in, I dunno, a dozen years? More?

Most of my listening is to music while I work (see my original answers) and podcasts when I'm puttering around the house. I count over 40 current podcast subscriptions - though only half of them are super active. I subscribe to a bunch of history podcasts, a bunch of [REDACTED ACADEMIC FIELD] podcasts, a few movie podcasts, a few current-events politics podcasts, and a bunch of comedy.

Which is a long way of saying: my contemporary exposure to comedians is all through podcasts. I have a bunch of eg, Superego, SpontaneanationPaul F Tomkins pods. Comedy Bang Bang is still strong (Andy Daly and Lily Sullivan have been excellent this year). I've soured a little on the McElroy brothers, but Griffin's podcasts are still in my rotation. The crews from We Hate Movies and Hello From the Magic Tavern are hilarious year after year.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Dec 28th, 2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35668
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
So Uncaged anthologies are awesome, but expensive. How do you rank the five volumes? Which is the best one to get (besides volume 1)?
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Ha, you took my recommendation out of my mouth. If I’m being blunt, I think they ever-so-slightly decline in average quality with each volume. Or it might just be diminishing returns. I think my second season adventure came from the third volume, but I think the second volume is a little more consistent.

I’m glad I paid for them, since it’s a good cause of supporting diverse and up-and coming writers (and since I’m running it on site; buying it is least I can do!). If you’re just going to read them and never run them, though, I’m not sure buying the whole set is worthwhile. The first volume, if you already own it, gives you a very good flavor of what’s to come in the others. I haven’t read the fifth, but the second through fourth are very similar. I didn’t find new revelations in later volumes.