RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1289
Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur
Hello!

I am currently playing in a West Marches D&D 5E game, so I guess I'm not a "new player." However, I would like to try different game systems, and I was wondering if applying for a solo game here would be the appropriate place to learn other systems like Pathfinder or 13th Age?

Last edited by Hundur; 04-03-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16807
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Hey Hundur,,

If you are gaming comfortably already, the NPSG is probably not something you'll want to put time into. It's a stand-alone adventure meant to get players accustomed to the play-by-post gaming format. I took a peek over at your West Marches game, and your posts look great! You've already done, there, basically everything we walk folks through in the NPSG (formatting, rolls, combat, interaction, expectations). So I don't think that you're the target audience, anymore, for the NPSG. We're not really here to teach experienced PbPers new systems.

One of the things I love about PbP is that it makes learning new systems very easy! I've learned 6 or 7 systems by picking up new games on the site. The slower pace means that you can take your time reading the books, reviewing your posts for rules problems, etc. Most GMs on the site are happy to walk rules-noobs through the system. You don't need the NPSG for that.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1289
Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
Hey Hundur,,

If you are gaming comfortably already, the NPSG is probably not something you'll want to put time into. It's a stand-alone adventure meant to get players accustomed to the play-by-post gaming format. I took a peek over at your West Marches game, and your posts look great! You've already done, there, basically everything we walk folks through in the NPSG (formatting, rolls, combat, interaction, expectations). So I don't think that you're the target audience, anymore, for the NPSG. We're not really here to teach experienced PbPers new systems.

One of the things I love about PbP is that it makes learning new systems very easy! I've learned 6 or 7 systems by picking up new games on the site. The slower pace means that you can take your time reading the books, reviewing your posts for rules problems, etc. Most GMs on the site are happy to walk rules-noobs through the system. You don't need the NPSG for that.
Thank you for that @Wynamoinen. I shall indeed be lurking then in the Game Advertisement thread for those systems I want to learn (there's a lot)!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:56 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2805
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Hello!

Can someone sign up here not to start a NPSG, but to DM one, such as I? Or is that privilege limited to CS Members only? I'm mainly interested in DMing a D&D 5E game, both as a help to newbies and practice for myself in the DM-ing gig.

O-oh, hi Mr. @Wynamoinen, sir...
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
Hello!
Can someone sign up here not to start a NPSG, but to DM one, such as I? Or is that privilege limited to CS Members only? I'm mainly interested in DMing a D&D 5E game, both as a help to newbies and practice for myself in the DM-ing gig. O-oh, hi Mr. @Wynamoinen, sir...
Goodmorning

Wow, that is really cool to offer but unfortunately, the NPSG adventure is written purely for the NPSG adventure only. (so no rights were given to use this adventure out of the NPSG setting). If you are interested to become an NPSG DM we are asking from our members to be on the site for a year and have a post count from 1000 (or more) without the number of posts being high because of Tug of War posts .
So you do not need to be or become a CS (but we would like to encourage you to become one ofc, so many cool perks like a huuuuge PM-box)

DM-ing solo games, I think we have a Forum for that where players and DM's can meet up but I have to search for an exact link. Maybe someone else can jump in and share the link?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Hi @Choc! Thanks for replying.

Okay, got it, that's a good goal I think until I meet that one-year requirement. In the meantime at least that's extra motivation to keep playing on this site!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7105
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
One thing I would recommend, would be to DM a standard 5e game on the site (do the advertisement, recruiting, etc.) and just reserve a spot or two for newer members. Many DMs do this, but it is a huge help to newer players that are still trying to figure out the application process. It is also hugely beneficial for newer players to get in games with some of the aged veteran players. If you are willing to DM a game, go for it! The community will welcome anyone willing to DM a game, just be up front that you are working to find your stride on that front. You will likely find that players are pretty forgiving and willing to help new DMs.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39196
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I would add, DanshiiWithWulfs, that because these are new players, we would very much recommend you have some experience DMing before you run the NPSG. It can be hard to explain to a new player who really just doesn't get it without having a very full understanding of both rules and what the GM and player each do. The Solo Games forum is for established members to run solo games for other established members, and you can request a game thread there with the same Game Request function on the Tools menu, just include your player's name and make sure to check the box that it is a solo game.

There are other ways to help out new members, like welcoming them in the New Member Intros forum. Sometimes there are questions asked which would benefit from a prompt response.

Last edited by Aethera; 07-10-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you guys for the input!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Thanks for offering to help out!
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 225
Aoem Aoem Aoem
Hail!

Good Patrons Of the Tangled Vine Inn!

I have been sent here by the grand Wizard of Avanguard.

To ask the finest creatures in the land...

What, is your favorite color?!
Old 08-15-2019, 01:45 PM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Purple
Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Typical undead bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7231
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
A fan of blue myself

Welcome by the way
Old 08-16-2019, 02:33 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
Green! And yellow, orange, red, purple, and most blues...
Old 08-16-2019, 05:09 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58796
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
My favorite color is Tartan.