RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 181
Olive Fontaine Olive Fontaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
I'm looking to build a Half-Giant Fighter (Battlemaster) who's an enforcer for the Commercium. Can you tell me a little more about them so I have more to work with? Am also looking at Great Weapon Master or Polearm Master as a feat, but that's just off the top of my head. I just find the idea of roleplaying a sour old giant pretty awesome.
Half-giants are seen as a link to the past, since hardly anyone alive has seen a living full-giant. Their very existence reminds one of a time when humanoids were triumphant, numerous, and great in stature. Half-giants are known for their reliability and strength, if they are a bit simple. They are also renowned for several arena contenders that always draw large crowds. Extremely superstitious people may dislike half-giants, and the occasional haughty noble might look down on them, but in general it is thought that they are not to be messed with. Half-giants are few in number, but they can be seen roaming around the larger settlements.

As for the Commercium, Trade and Merchant Guilds have always existed, but in the shadow of the apocalypse, the power of gold has become a far greater influence in the affairs of state. The Head Merchants have now centralized, controlling all trade. Caravans, tariffs, mines and marketplaces operate by the grace of the Commercium alone. Independent traders in outposts and remote villages still exist, but trading in settlements without a license from the Commercium is a dangerous prospect. The Commercium is not an ancient organization - it started as a small trading company, and yet in a short period of time rose to the very top through its efficiency and lack of qualms.

Your application is coming along nicely, btw. I’ll try to give you more feedback soon but I just want to answer some questions for now.

Great Weapon Master is not an available feat in this game. The equivalent is Power Attack, which doesn’t provide as much damage to begin with, but it is a lot more versatile since you can choose the exact penalty to hit and the exact bonus to damage. It can ultimately provide a lot more than GWM since the bonus to damage can be multiplied by two handing a weapon, using the leap attack feat on a charge, or the spirited charge feat to double all the damage of an attack (including the power attack bonus). Shock trooper is a useful feat - one of the options it gives you allows you to take the power attack penalty to your AC rather than your attack roll, so you can still have a good chance to hit. Just throwing some options out there. Polearm Master is still available if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
I will MAKE time for this!!
Give me the weekend and I’ll have a Thr-Kreen application for you to review.
To get the chat sheet created at Lvl3 in your funky Hybrid 5e/3.5 format (no slight intended, I’m just not used to 3.5 format), I’d need another week, if that’s acceptable?
Awesome! And that should be fine, I was planning on leaving this open until the weekend after next, if you think you could have at least a partial sheet by then. I don’t think it will be as bad as you imagine - the saves are a bit of a paradigm shift but picking a few feats you’re interested in should be relatively easy. I’m available to answer questions and to help build characters.

Quote:
As for Class...how do you feel about the UA Mystc?
If not, I’m tempted to try Ranger, or maybe just go straight-fighter, but very open to any suggestions about recommended classes.
To be honest with you, the Mystic class seems pretty complex, and it’s hard for me parse all of its options and ascertain it’s power level. It doesn’t look overpowered, but it might help if you could tell me which order you’re interested in? It does kinda fit thematically since Thri-Kreen and Psionics go together like PB and J. But feel free to choose one of the base classes if you change your mind. I won’t tell you which since that depends on the kind of play style you enjoy I will say that Divine Metamagic and the Metabreath feats look rather juicy to my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
For a fighter, will the computation of the Fort save be Str mod + Con mod + prof bonus? Or just Str, or just Con, or whichever is highest + prof?
Okay so the conversion I provided is just for determining which saves you have proficiency in. Fighters have Strength and Constitution save proficiency in 5e. Converting to the three save system, this means that they only have proficiency in one save, Fortitude.

Their Fort save bonus would be (+ Proficiency +Constitution)
Their Will save would simply be + Wisdom
Their Reflex save would simply be + Dexterity

There are a few feats which provide an additional bonus to one or multiple saves, such as Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, and Luck of Heroes.

Just to reiterate,
Fortitude is always keyed off of Constitution
Reflex is always keyed off Dexterity
Will is always keyed off Wisdom

Regardless of which of these three you are proficient in. The only exception to this is a character who has the Insightful Reflexes feat. In that case, Reflex is keyed off Intelligence rather than Dexterity.

I hope this is clear. Please let me know if it requires further explanation. Cheers.

Last edited by Olive Fontaine; 07-05-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 889
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Valcyan
right-aligned image

Name: Valcyan
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Fighter/Rogue
Party Role: Striker with some Stealth. Not a Lock Picker. Not an Archer
Faction Reputation: The imperial Guard recognize Valcyans service and regard him as an equal, granting return when he so desires.
The Boatmen of Styx (a sanctioned league of assassins) Know of his exploits but haven't spent a great deal of energy researching into him yet

Appearance: Valcyan is slender, even for his race, but resembles a highly compact and lean build. His silky auburn hair is free flowing and rests slightly longer than shoulder length. Golden like hazel eyes reflect the beauty and grace of his Elven bloodline. He moves fluidly and precisely, with a tranquillness unlike many others.

He carries on his back a sword of two blades. This twin bladed weapon shines with a crystal like shimmer along each blade, insight to its razor sharpness. The blades, one on each end of hardened center hilt wrapped in embroidered leather, are long and taper in a straight line from the hilt to the tip of the blade. These triangular shaped sword ends grant the wielder fast movement with deadly accuracy, both useful for slashing as well as stabbing. His armor is simple, Light and flexible. Patterns of gold and red threads lace the leather armor. Bits of steel fragments can be seen under the leather armor itself or protruding in certain areas to grant maximum protection as well as flexibility.

Personality: Quiet, methodical, careful and deliberate. He has a great sense of patience, reflecting his maturity. He does seem slightly Introverted, but very clever. He is soft-spoken and extremely observant

Backstory: Valcyans Grand Father was an elite militant warrior who served under the house of Lindir before the fall and in that time came to pass during the struggle of a great war. Like his father before him, Valcyans father too joined in the Imperial guard and spent most of his life employed their. Tragically he passed due to old age and some what of a harsh and in tolerable life style.

Valcyan grew in his early years with little supervision or mentor ship from his father. Instead he proved resilient and survived like many of his kin under the rule of the the Imperial Guard. He had ambitions of joining the ranks in which the men of his bloodline had before him. Their he spent years training and became a loyal soldier and keen student. A humans life time passed, and with that amount of time Valcyan came tired and weary of the routine life of a soldier. So he took a leave from the guard, chasing a life of more purpose and meaning, perhaps even more peace.

Valcyan now wanders, looking for a place in this strange and cruel word. Hopeful that one day peace and prosperity will ravish the lands again.

Unfortunately for the cunning swordsman, duty seems to find him still, and with his talents Valcyan is either forced from necessity or coerced by greed to full fill the dirty work which all swordsmen do.

OOC Having a hard time finding an image that properly reflects my character, so I went with the one attached for now.

Character SheetLink to Character sheet: http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81262

Last edited by Jrod; 07-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:27 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1417
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Gotcha, thanks! You just gave me a hook for Hazak to be out and about and growing restless; making sure that there aren't any unlicensed traders setting up shop is a perfect reason for him not just to be stuck guarding a door somewhere.

And thank you for the clarification on the feats and saves, I'll work on those over the weekend. Feedback is welcome, indeed!

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 07-06-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Applications are coming along nicely, everyone.

JRod, your sheet looks good. But let's say that the relative who served the house of Lindir was a great grandfather or a distant ancestor. Elves don't live as long anymore. Those that live in the wilderness can live to 120-140 (if they make it that long), and city elves can last a bit longer than that in the best circumstances. It's been quite a while since the Fall. This also means you might want to change the age of your character because he would certainly be at geezer status

This is part of the general racial interpretations put forth in Dark Sun, which we're drawing from for races. I should have made this a bit more explicit I suppose.

The rest of your app is looking good, although the picture isn't loading for me. I'll send you a pm soon with some hooks for the imperial guard which you can take into the game.

Last edited by Olive Fontaine; 07-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 203
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
left-aligned image
Name: Avelina
Race: Half-Elf Variant
Party Role: Damage, Face
Faction Reputation: Boatmen of the Styx
Appearance: Avelina is a redheaded half-elven girl, a little small for her age from poor nourishment when she was younger. She's typically wrapped in dusty, oversized robes; most believe it's because she's a homeless girl trying to stay warm with whatever she can find. In truth, she wears it to hide her chainmail. She bears a brand on her forehead, a tattoo of breaking glass, hidden under a headband. Her patron Shatterpoint prefers to manifest as a war pick of black iron, adorned with blue cobalt in a pattern like human veins. He maintains this style and colors despite the form he's in, though only the color when he's keeping a low profile as a humble belt knife.
Personality: Avelina considers herself to be a good person: kind, gentle, and generous with what few resources she had. Shatterpoint, on the other hand, was an evil thing that demands she use him to break bones and commit murder in his name on a weekly basis. She would love to break her contract, no matter how much power he offered, but she was scared of the alternative. Shatterpoint promised that if she ever breaks their contract, he'll find another to make his warlock, someone more willing to follow orders and use him in the way he'd been intended. For now, Avelina has reluctantly decided that by doing the minimum to appease him would keep him out of more dangerous hands.
Backstory: A few months ago, Avelina was just a homeless orphan who made her living scavenging old world ruins, finding artifacts she sold for a fraction of their value. It was the most dignified way she knew to make money then.

During one of her treks into abandoned places, she came across a vault, of sorts. She couldn't read the warnings on the door, but surely it was valuable. It had already been pried open, but there may be something left. Inside was a mostly empty space, save for a collection of skeletized scavengers, and a single, black weapon.

One touch was all it took. As the first mortal to touch him while he was unclaimed locked her into the contract, and Shatterpoint was more than willing to explain. To go more than a week without appeasing him gave him license to posses her for an hour of his choosing. To go a month without a kill of her own constitutes breach of contract, and her life is no longer safe from him. On his end, he taught her the secrets of lost and forgotten magics. To mollify her incessant whining, he consented to teach her nonviolent skills as well, like defensive spells and how to read & write (her own elven & common, as well as teaching her his own native infernal).

After some initial resistance and a possession, Avelina elected to defy him in the only way she could; if she had to kill, she would choose to kill those who were wicked like Shatterpoint. With that, she sought out the Boatmen; surely they would be able to help each other.
Completed Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81309

Last edited by FatherDondo; 07-08-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 889
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Made some edits and fixed the picture. Let me know if there is anything else.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think I can say I'm about done. What do you think?

Last edited by FatherDondo; 07-08-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1908
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
I'm interested in applying to this game. I have a concept in mind of an average Jo, (so some kind of sorcerer)in whom some kind of power awakens. She is terrified of it and goes so far as to leave her family behind in order to protect them. This will very mich be a reluctant hero and her arc will be one of self-acceptance.

One question I have about the sorcerer in this setting; you said that Arcane magic has a very significant effect when cast, so does that mean that there would be no point choosing Subtle Spell as a sorcerer's metamagic? Or could the effect of sterilising an area be hidden or shunted somewhere else?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
JRod - Looking good. You’re in. I’ll send you a PM when the forum goes up and we get started.

Simandi - I forgot to answer your second question in PM, but you shouldn’t have too much trouble stabling your beast in cities or leaving it outside to forage and wait for you. You can probably even bring it into the city. It might not be welcome in a tavern, but otherwise people would likely steer clear than try to mess with it. Stranger things than it from the wasteland have been seen.

Father Dondo - Your application looks good! Looking over your sheet - your starting hp is 30 (3d8 + 6 max’d), and since you are a variant half-Elf I believe that means you still have one more feat to choose. Also, I believe that your AC is incorrect at the top of your sheet. Chain Shirt (rather than Chain Mail), with 14 dex produces an AC of 15, unless I'm missing something.

Lazer - Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The subtle spell Metamagic still works, meaning that you could cast while having your arms restrained or silenced. However, if you cast a powerful arcane spell and choose to defile, the ring of ash around your character will be unmistakable.

Last edited by Olive Fontaine; 07-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I fixed the HP and added magic initiate (minor illusion, prestidigitation, find familiar). I just need to figure out how to do something cool with the familiar. My fault on the armor, I mixed up chain shirt and chainmail. I double checked the PHB for the chain shirt, 13+Dex (max 2), and I have +2 Dex, so I put it as 15
Old 07-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Boomy Boomy
The high-elf grandpapa
left-aligned image

Name: Kass

Race: Half-Elf

Party Role: Magic caster and a persuasive, senile comic relief. Warlock, high charisma, proficient in intimidation and deception.

Faction Reputation: Kass has been living in a wooden shack at the outskirts of Teron, where he's known as a senile, crazy, but nice old man. Many rumors circulate around him: that he knows magic, been alive since before the empire fell, or that at night he patches up wounds of the Boatmen or helps them dispose of bodies. None of those have ever been confirmed, and the man himself seems to make up everything he says.

Appearance: Kass is a half-elf clearly reaching the end of his race's natural lifespan. He's taller than an average human male, but his hunched back makes him look on par. He has a long white beard and a wide mustache. He tends to cut his hair with a knife once it starts to fall into his eyes. He's been seen wearing some nice clothes, likely gifted to him, and tends to carry an old carpet thrown over his shoulders like a cape, which may make him look like a noble from a far-off distance.

Personality: Kass is either crazy or extremely dishonest. He's known for speaking gibberish, and confuses his dreams with reality every morning. However, he's a good man clearly focused on helping people and the society at large, occasionally making very useful remarks on how to fix larger problems. He becomes sober and cynical under heavy stress, and can be intimidating if he starts yelling for some reason. His senile behaviors are at least sometimes pretended, and used to deceive people.

Backstory

"Allelujah! Allelujah!"

The yells of young children playing spread throughout the plains.

"Allelujah! Allelujah!"

The sands blew among the ruins, the destroyed buildings and bones of the dead.

- I see, I see. - Pondered the young man. - And I wanted to leave it. The moment I saw what's coming.
- Does it make you much happier? - asked an even younger being.
- Enough to want to live. I should accept it, if we're going to refuse it. So let me do it. Let me refuse death. At least for now.

- GET OFF MY BOG - Yelled the old man, hitting at sand with a large stick - GET OFF MY BOG. GET OFF IT.
- Aaaah! He's going senile again! - yelled and laughed children, running off from their sand castle. - What's even a bog? - asked one of them to the rest.
Seeing this, a nearby guard in a rusty plate armor approached the old man, waving his head in disapproval. - Kass, There's no bog. There's no water in this part of town whatsoever.
- I want a duck! - responded the old man.
- A...duck?
- A duck!
- What even is that? - The guard started laughing before he even heard the answer
- It's a bird! But it can swim!
- What would a swimming bird do in the middle of a desert?
- Then make me a bog! - Kass demanded, pointing at the sky
- We already tried to build a well. There's no water under the soil. - said the guardsman, looking up. Clouds were gray and heavy. Good, they haven't had rain in a while. He looked back at the old man. He looked angry. The guard sighted, then, Kass got a metal cup from under his shirt, and threw it at the sand. He sat in front of it, and as the rain broke, it started filling the cup.
- The bog is such a waste. - said the old man.

stats
Completed Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81379

Last edited by Boomy; 07-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 96
Stegy
Albus the Wizard
left-aligned image

Name: Albus
Race: Human
Class: Wizard [Necromancer]
Party Role: Ranged damage dealer, party magic-user
Faction Reputation: Noble House Crassus does not like Albus for finding and stealing the book.

Appearance: Tall, late 20s, early 30s human male with a rugged complexion and a solid frame to his body. He used to maintain himself: his beard was short but tidy; his hair combed and well-maintained; his clothes clean and pressed. But Albus now appears as a shell of his former self: messy hair, unkempt beard, and clothes that appear as if he found them on the street.

Personality: Albus is short with his words and does his best not to draw attention to himself. He is quiet, reserved, and has become generally paranoid over the past few months of anyone looking at him for more than a few seconds. He used to be witty, charming, and a man who tried his best to enjoy life. Sometimes these qualities slip out when he is comfortable, but those times are becoming all too rare as time goes on.

Backstory: I made a choice. I found something--something I was not supposed to find--and it forced me into a position where I had to make a choice. One choice. Do I ignore what I had discovered and keep living this lie, or do I help everyone on Athas by doing what others choose to ignore?

I should ignore it. Why should I do this? I have a good life. Women love me. My fellow sages love me. I am respected in my community. The world might be in shambles but my life is not. I have a good thing going for me here in Maadoran. This is my home.

A book. That is what I found; an old, ancient book written by a powerful spellcaster in a time long forgotten. But I found it. And inside where secrets on how to defeat Death itself. What if I could use this information to save everyone? To bring people back from the dead? The Old Gods may have forsaken us, but now that I have this book.. I will not forsake us. I am willing to make that sacrifice. Whatever it takes.

Completed Sheet: WIP

Last edited by Stegy; 07-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Boomy Boomy
Added a secret and the character sheets. Two level 2 spells by the idea that I can swap a level 1 when advancing from 2 to 3.
Didn't spend my gold yet, as I want to ask first whether we get the class starting equipment, or just the gold to spend on stuff?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Boomy + Stegy - We have a group together already; but since I did say that I would leave the application process open until this weekend and your apps both look nice, how would you two feel about either being “in reserve” so to speak in case we lost anyone — Or alternatively playing solo or duo in the same world for a while? It would take a bit of extra prep for me, but we could weave the stories together at some point if you guys stick around.

You can find the game forum here if you want to come chat in our OOC thread: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18053
Old 07-13-2019, 11:50 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 96
Stegy
I was unaware that characters had been picked prior to posting! I would hate to have you do any extra work but I am open to joining the game in any way, shape or form; 3.5e and 5e are my favorite DnD editions.