RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 PM
Do you feel in charge?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2401
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBombadil View Post
Yeah it is my first game didn’t know what to expect application wise.
I gitcha. Having been around the block a couple times, though, I would recommend reconsidering the deadline once you get to twenty or twenty-five. Not because the quality will drop or anything, just because you'll already have a pretty substantial docket and going through them all will make you consider running multiple groups!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 826
TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
I gitcha. Having been around the block a couple times, though, I would recommend reconsidering the deadline once you get to twenty or twenty-five. Not because the quality will drop or anything, just because you'll already have a pretty substantial docket and going through them all will make you consider running multiple groups!
Well I’m going to do at least two groups but yeah that’s a good idea to cap it.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil
Deadline is now 8/4 or 25 applications whichever comes first. I’m going to do at least two groups of 6 minimum. May possibly do a third but not committing to more than two at the moment.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1909
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Two groups...should be interesting. I know some DMs do that
Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3543
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Two groups has been strange in my experience. It’s doubling your chances of player attrition. It seems natural to try to combine the groups at that time, but that’s when you get three wizards, two clerics, and an arcane trickster in your group. Also, they’re probably at totally different encounters and the ones they’ve both run have mutually exclusive outcomes.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
Two groups has been strange in my experience. It’s doubling your chances of player attrition. It seems natural to try to combine the groups at that time, but that’s when you get three wizards, two clerics, and an arcane trickster in your group. Also, they’re probably at totally different encounters and the ones they’ve both run have mutually exclusive outcomes.
Wont be combining them. They will be completely separate games with nothing to do with each other. Attrition will be dealt with the same as if I was running one group. We will go out and recruit another player. My very first game here, the DM has taken 11 separate groups through the same adventure many of them simultaneously. They are handled separately as if the others don't exist.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Yeah. I suggest that path, having tried the other.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1769
Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy
Tom: Have you already chosen the magic Belt of Giant Strengthitems the party will be Mace of Terrorreceiving or can we Plate +1subtly suggest some for you to Shield +1include in case we get selected? Like a Cloak of Displacementwish list, maybe?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Tom: Have you already chosen the magic Belt of Giant Strengthitems the party will be Mace of Terrorreceiving or can we Plate +1subtly suggest some for you to Shield +1include in case we get selected? Like a Cloak of Displacementwish list, maybe?
They have already been selected. However, we will be using downtime rules in this adventure and if your character desires to use their downtime to research potential locations of such items that’s a possibility. Another possibility is to purchase a type of Stronghold known as an Establishment and that will also give the characters the opportunity to get intelligence on potential locations of desired magic items.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Shutteredskies
Hey! Hope I’m not too late to join the party! Telamnine here is (probably) complete, I might go back and change a few words here and there.

Telamnine
right-aligned image

Name: Telamnine Locese

Race: Human - Variant

Class: Druid - Circle of Land - Mountain

Appearance: At a first glance, Telamnine appears to be just another traveling worker, as the sun-browned skin and the ill-fitting traveler's attire would suggest. It would take a second, perhaps even a third glance to take in the ink-stained hands and scroll cases, raising the possibility of her being a scholar, albeit one more used to field work than reading archives. A closer look would reveal the fading scratch and bite marks on her hands, the faint dusting of feathers and fur, and, occasionally, faint white splotches where bird droppings failed to come out of the leather. Brown hair, brown eyes, rather nondescript features. She decided early on that she would never amount to a beauty by any standards, and thus according never really tried to keep herself particularly tidy. She's around half a head taller than the average, although her habit of hunching her back and fading into the background makes her seem shorter than she is, but even taking her height into account, she presents an overall rather unthreatening image, which, as it happens, is not a particularly accurate estimate.

Personality: Telamnine's temperament is slightly reminiscent of a large dog's: mild, generally agrees with everyone, obsessive, overly attached to her friends. She enjoys her puzzles, although she has a tendency to obsess over her latest challenge, becoming hyper focused and developing tunnel vision - she would cheerfully throw the entire war to win the battle before her. She’s not particularly intellectually gifted, instead, she attempts to make up for it through diligence and hard work. In conversations she tends to be more of a listener than a speaker, exhibiting a genuine interest in each person’s life and their personal anecdotes. She’s a rather coolheaded individual, difficult to get a rise out of, and not prone to explosions of temper. Certain transgressions, such as doubting her skill in her field, however, do tend to irritate her, and she is skilled in holding a grudge for a long, long, time.
Personality Trait: I’m willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.

Ideal: Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true

Bond: My life’s work is a series of tomes related to a specific field of lore.

Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.
Background: Sage - Researcher

History:

Last edited by Shutteredskies; 07-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Breaker of 4th Walls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9125
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Half-Drow Bard App
right-aligned image
Name: "Riz" Rizzen Drowsen
Race: Half-Drow
Class: Bard - College of Swords
Background: Urchin

Last edited by saratek187; 07-15-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2025
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Cool concept and thinking of submitting. Two questions:

1) Are you allowing the Ghostwise halfling variant from SCAG?
2) Regarding Ranger - is it strictly from the four sources you mentioned or is the Revised Ranger UA in play at all?
Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1968
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Jhessail Amberorb
Race: Tiefling
Class: Sorcerer (Fire Draconic Bloodline)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: City Watch (Investigator)

Personality: I'm haunted by memories of the cruelty and crimes I have seen. I can't get the images of violence out of my mind.

Ideal: Live and Let Live. Ideals aren't worth killing over or going to war for.

Bond: Someone saved my life by putting me on the right path, and not gently - and I am still grateful to him. People need to look out for each other, sometimes gently, sometimes with tough love.

Flaw: I obey the law, even if the law causes misery. For to make exceptions is a step towards unravelling civil order, with consequences far worse.

Appearance

Except for the general shape of her body, this woman looks not even remotely human. Her skin is a reddish pink and in many places covered with small scales with a golden shimmer. Two curled horns stick out from her head of mousy hair. The irises of her disturbingly pupilless eyes are the bluish white colour of ice. And not to forget the snake-like tail, which is covered fully in brownish scales. Nevertheless, she is actually quite attractive, rather tall, of slim build, but big-bosomed, and with a pretty, symmetric face.

Her manner of dress is unusual, even veering into the artistic, and shows a predilection for luxury, but ultimately remains largely tasteful and quite flattering to herself. Practicality appears to be less of a concern.

Jhessail's strange inhuman eyes make it difficult to follow and interpret her gaze, and tend to give it a dreamy expression. Her body language is guarded, as she keeps her hands close to her body and face, and sometimes may even appear insecure.

The woman's smell is muted, but those who come close enough will notice its unusual nature. It is entirely different from human body odour, and it is difficult to tell whether a perfume of any sort is involved: it is a mixture of sweet notes with the smell of something burnt.

Backstory

As so many Tieflings in the Realms, Jhessail was born in Neverwinter. Her parents, wealthy merchants, hid her as much as they could, had her supervised by a nanny and educated by private tutors sworn to secrecy, and she grew up in utter alienation. When she approached puberty and magical abilities began to manifest, it became easy for her to escape into the outside world that she was so inexperienced in. She narrowly escaped being raped, murdered, or both only through the assistance of a band of tieflings who approached her and soon recruited her among her ranks. She ran away from home and joined with the Ashmadai not because she truly believed, or lusted for power, but simply because they gave her a place to belong.

A travelling wizard from Waterdeep, having recognised her magical gift, befriended the adolescent tiefling and mysteriously managed to yank her away from her new friends just before a raid by the city guard. The girl was confused and felt betrayed, and it was under great protest that he dragged her away and brought her with him to Waterdeep, where he introduced her to the Watchful Order of Magists & Protectors so that her force could be tamed. It turned out that the girl was not at all cut out for academics - but she learnt to control her own magic and use it responsibly, and the organisation soon enough found her a place where her unusual toughness could be put to good use: assisting the City Guard.

The work for the law appealed to Jhessail's innate need for order and hierarchy, and it made palpable to her the necessity of rules to ensure peaceful coexistence, seeing the atrocities that happened when those rules were breached - and knowing full well that any time she went out on the street, it was only those rules that prevented a number of people from acting on their desire to do very unpleasant things to her and people like her. But acting by the rules, and in consequence being protected by them, she was superior to them.

Eventually, however, she found herself limited, and realised that her talents, unclear as they were, were at best an awkward fit for her occupation. It was not seldom that many of her fellow mages concerned with conjuring water and putting an end to conflagrations made - mostly good-natured - jokes about her being a fire hazard. The violent impulses that allowed her to wield the destructive force of the elements were no longer a true danger in her hands no longer made her a danger, but it was mostly because she studiously refrained from tapping into them. There were other places in the world, however, that could benefit from a well-directed firestorm, outside the confines of well-put-together civilisation like in the metropolis of Waterdeep. Cases where the lines that were not to be overstepped needed to be drawn in white-hot fire. It was this that drove Jhessail to embark on a life of travel and adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiefling copy 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	80949  

Last edited by Mairien; 07-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
I hate the expiring tokens on this website sometimes.

Three days (hour here and there) worth of typing gone because I forgot to copy, refresh, paste, and then submit.

It really takes the satisfaction out of "Yeah, that feels good!" *Click*

Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1769
Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy Troy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
I hate the expiring tokens on this website sometimes.

Three days (hour here and there) worth of typing gone because I forgot to copy, refresh, paste, and then submit.

It really takes the satisfaction out of "Yeah, that feels good!" *Click*

Ah! I hate that feeling. Especially since it never feels exactly right after retyping. I do all my stuff in notepad now and paste it in to see how it looks or add formatting.

Last edited by Troy; 07-12-2019 at 06:27 PM.