RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9603
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
West Marches

Game NameWest Marches

Game Thread

How to joinFirst read this post. Make sure it is something you are interested in. Next, follow the game link to our main game. Read the Read here first thread. It is much of the same information, but it has been updated with clarifications. If you are still confused about something shoot me or Purplerook a PM or post in the General OOC. Many of the players have gotten familiar with the system and can give you advice if we aren't on.

Lastly, roll up your stats, remember 1 array per post, and put together your character. You can start Roleplaying right away in the town and we (Purplerook and I) will review and give you approval or corrections to be made. When your character is approved, you may formally join an adventure and leave town.

Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeWest Marches, Player Choice, Sandbox, Social Gaming.
FlavourFree Form Jump in Game
Plot SummaryWhen the “new world” was discovered thousands of miles across the Western Sea, a contest to settle that land and claim its riches ensued among the old world empires. While many ships landed and numerous outposts were built, the new world proved to be far more dangerous than most anticipated – all but one settlement was eventually wiped out.

Founded just under a century ago, Westhaven was the only settlement to survive the new world. Countless resources were poured into keeping Westhaven safe from the unknown wilds that had claimed all of the other settlements. The entire area is protected by a great stone wall known by locals as “The Edge of the World.” Standing between eight and ten feet tall and stretching over 55 miles, the wall forms a rough ‘u’ shape with the open ends starting at the coast about 8 miles apart and extending nearly 20 miles inland. While city officials claim that wall was built entirely for the purpose of defending the Westhaven settlement, most locals know that large sections of the wall predate any known new world arrival. Who or what built those sections of the wall, as well as where they may have gone, remains a mystery.

Now only adventurers are brave - or stupid - enough to venture outside of the walls of Westhaven.

The West Marches‘The West Marches’ style of campaigns differ from more traditional, story based, role playing games in that the game has no overarching plot – just a consistent, dangerous environment. There’s a convenient fortified town that marked the farthest outpost of civilization and law, but beyond that is sketchy wilderness the isn't mapped. All the PCs are would-be adventurers based in this town. Adventuring is not a common or safe profession and there is no adventure to be had in the town.

You get to explore where you want to with only one rule. Returning to the mainland is not allowed - there is no adventures to be had there. The mainland is where adventurers go to retire. Because players can explore anywhere they choose, PCs have to work together and pick their battles — there is nothing stopping them from strolling into areas that will wipe them out. Players are encouraged to pay careful attention to their surroundings and the potential dangers their characters face. If a region beyond the mountains is full of high level monsters, they don’t become less dangerous because a group of 3rd level PCs manage to get over there.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
To facilitate this style of play, there are a couple of ‘rules’ which everyone should attempt to follow:

Players initiate adventures, decide where to go, and organize an adventuring party. Each adventure can (And will) have different players. If you need to go on hiatus your character will be waiting for you when you return. There will be threads available for you to do so within the game forum.

D&D is about social Gaming. There are a lot of people on this site who want to play and without a doubt you may have played with some of them already. To make sure everyone gets involved and you meet new people you may not adventure with the same PC's more than 1-2 adventures in a row. If there are no PCs in town when your group returns to town the advertisement will be bumped to find fresh meat.

Players sharing information is a critical part of the West Marches design. This goes along with the social aspect of D&D. I am merely the fun facilitator. An impartial observer. It is up to the players to share information and map their adventures if they want to. Since there is a large pool of players, the average PC will only be in a small number of the the adventures. Pooling resources and cooperation will be essential to the PCs’ success. Tell people what happened and where it happened. Did you stumble into the barrow mounds and barely escape with your life? Warn other adventurers so they can steer clear. Did you slay wolves on the moors until the snow was red with blood? Brag about it so everyone else knows how tough you are. Anyone who does so will be rewarded.

Character CreationWe will be using a method of character generation that will randomize your characters more than you are probably used to. This will give all players both new and old alike a chance to play something new.

Starting Level: 1
Ability Score Generation: Roll 4d6, Drop the Lowest. Do this six times and put them in order of your attributes. Your first roll is Strength, second roll is Dexterity, third roll is Constitution, fourth roll is Intelligence, fifth roll is Wisdom and sixth roll is Charisma. If you don’t have at least two 15s before racial modifiers then start over.
Hit Points Max for first level. Upon leveling up roll and take the roll or average HP, whichever is higher.
Classes: Any. (Multiclasssing will be allowed after first level.)
Races: Any.
Equipment: You begin play with the gear from your background and class choice.
Sources Available: All currently released source books are allowed. I will allow most UA articles, links found below, but reserve the right to change things about if the need arises.

Multiple Characters? Pending per conference with other GMs.

Alignment: I don't enforce alignment in most of my games. I want you to define your character not be defined by something on your character sheet. This is not the campaign for chaotic loners or free spirited vagabonds. D&D is a co-operative game and we are all here to play the game together.

I prefer to use a number of optional rules from the source books. I will be listing everything here even if it seems like common sense for the sake of completeness and having it firmly written down. If you need a recap of any of these rules just ask and I will gladly help you.

Questions and AnswersIf I have a character in Alycone's West Marches can I transfer it to this one?

Yes. You may take your character straight over. You won't keep anything you picked up on the road, but you don't need to reroll anything unless you want to make a new character.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; 10-18-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Hello all. This is a continuation of Alycone's West Marches game. He sadly disappeared however, many players wanted to continue it. As such several of us have gotten together to continue. DMChimiboy and Purplerook have stepped up to help DM and we have had a few other people as well. This game can be as big as we want to make it. It is a great jump in style game that you can come as you want. Feel free to post interest so the mods can see it and when the game is accepted, we will send people on over. If you have questions, shoot.

Thanks
Mighty
Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6024
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
Hey guys, while i am not comfortable bring a DM for missions, i'd have to problem DM'ing a shop. For example, to help manage the purchase of in game items with mild roleplay.

I have Sworn the oath of Sangus!

Last edited by Dakkon; 06-26-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1838
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Definitely interested in continuing this adventure with Nine, the Gladiator (barbarian).

Edit in response to PurpleRook's post below:

Post rate: once every 1-2 days during the week and maybe once on the weekends. Just had my baby girl born 2 days ago so I'll be on leave for a month. Once I'm back a the work after that, my post rate goes up to multiple times a day during the week.

Ideal Ratio: Exploration>Combat>Social (but I enjoy all aspects, so I don't have much of a preference.

Character Type: regardless of my class, I'm pretty much always up in melee. I love to strategize and then charge in. I'll be playing Nine the gladiator (barbarian) with a short sword in one hand and a cestus in the other (reskinned club).

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 06-26-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
I was enjoying Graf, i'd like to continue adventures.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2906
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
First, a big thanks to Mighty for taking the lead in re-starting Alycone's West Marches Campaign. I am a big fan of West Marches player driven style of campaigns. I am looking forward to DMing one or more adventures in the campaign. I am in several PbP campaigns here on RPGCrossing and I am looking forward to DMing. As this is going to be a player-driven campaign. Please let us, the DMs, know what you want as this will help us craft the adventures and the world.

Last edited by purplerook; 10-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
So the question of the day is, in site admin going to transfer ownership? Or we copying the page over to a new folder? And if so, where is it?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 806
Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded
I'm definitely interested! I love these big games with lots of players with flexible parties.

My preferences are Combat > Exploration = Social Interaction

I tend to play melee, range, and spellcasting characters. I usually don't play stealth, party face, or skill monkey characters.

My ideal posting frequency is multiple times per day.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
interested I could do short posts once per day and more involved once per week.
exploration first social or combat depending on the character
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by delpinator; 06-27-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: removed rolls per request
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Please don't roll in this thread per forum rules.

We will be getting a new folder when the mods see enough interest.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:31 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@mighty: If you for sure have DMs and players from the other game wishing to continue onward, just add their usernames to your existing Game Request. This will help expedite the validation process for your new forum.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 930
J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B
I'm. Interested in continue playing the game but maybe with a little modification of my actual character sheet. I might let the same choice but with a different approach.

Last edited by J2B; 06-27-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4000
Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson Eourl Thorson
@mighty
This looks really interesting so posting interest. I like all aspects of social/exploration/ combat. Not to keen on horror or let's design a dungeon to kill people games. I can probably do a post every other day. Is there anything more you need?

Just noticed everyone else is doing types of characters. I basically like clerics and fighters. I don't know why just do.

Last edited by Eourl Thorson; 06-27-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Hi, guys. Was in Alcyone's West Marches. Would it be all right to just transfer my Warforged Cleric, Arsenal, into this, if this becomes a thing? Wouldn't mind rolling again, though.

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:53 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1086
Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania Gazmania
Hey everyone, I'm glad to see there is interest in keeping this game going! Thank you to all of the DMs that have stepped forward to get it set up.

I was playing in two of Alcyone's games so it was a real shame to see them go, hopefully all is well and they will come back at some point.

I'm definitely interested to play in this again.

What is your preferred ratio of Combat/Exploration/Social Interaction?
I rank these Social Interaction = Exploration > Combat. They are all pretty similar and I have no oppositions to combat and enjoy it, but I think it can become quite slow via pbp.

What types of characters do you like to play (e.g., melee, ranged, stealth, spell caster)?
I typically play as melee focused characters, generally clerics when I'm playing in person. I like the idea of rolling random stats and playing with a character that you don't usually try out.

What is your ideal posting frequency?
Currently I'm not playing in any games, so can give this my full attention. I would say I manage 4-6 posts a week, depending on how frequently the game is updating. I can't always promise to post at the weekend.