twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4263
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Newer player who's potentially interested.

I don't have a particular class of character I like to play, and in fact part of the attraction of this proposal is rolling the stats first, and then finding a class/character to fit that, one that I might not otherwise have come up with.

In PbP I'm looking for at least as much social interaction as combat; in general it seems that Exploration generally doesn't get as much attention in most games, so I'm curious to see what a system that values that more would look like, and very much looking forward to the exploration side.

As for posting frequency: I'm still figuring that out, so I'd want to start out at a rate that wasn't too frantic; 2-3 posts a week sounds ideal. Depending on how that goes and what other games I'm in, I may be up for playing in a faster paced group later.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6024
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
What is your preferred ratio of Combat/Exploration/Social Interaction?: Social>Combat>Exploration. I love me some fleshed out social and combat posts!

What types of characters do you like to play (e.g., melee, ranged, stealth, spell caster)? I've played everything thus far except Ranger and Druid. I'd like to give Barbarian a good try, or play a fleshed out lengthy game with a Cleric.

What is your ideal posting frequency? Multiple times per day. When paired up, i work best with people who post once or more per day.

I have Sworn the oath of Sangus!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2906
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztk View Post
In PbP I'm looking for at least as much social interaction as combat; in general it seems that Exploration generally doesn't get as much attention in most games, so I'm curious to see what a system that values that more would look like, and very much looking forward to the exploration side.
Yes, I do D&D tabletop and PbP. Exploration/Investigation can get tedious, when you have one party scouting. One of the things I like about PbP is that there is more room for detail (for Exploration and Investigation) w/o taking a lot of time away from other characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztk View Post
As for posting frequency: I'm still figuring that out, so I'd want to start out at a rate that wasn't too frantic; 2-3 posts a week sounds ideal. Depending on how that goes and what other games I'm in, I may be up for playing in a faster paced group later.
IMO, part of this is finding people with a similar posting rate. If you are all comfortable with the rate, then no one feels like they are being nagged to post, or being frustrated waiting for others to post. I am in several games that range from 1+/day to 2-3/week.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2906
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkon View Post
What is your preferred ratio of Combat/Exploration/Social Interaction?: Social>Combat>Exploration. I love me some fleshed out social and combat posts!
I am still scratching my head a little bit about how to work Social Interactions into a West Marches style adventure. However, if the party wants to see it, I will get I work it into the adventure.

Part of the appeal for me as DM and player of West Marches, is that the game adapts to the desires of the player, rather than the DM having a specific adventure in mind, and then going in search of players.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6024
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
Well, social interaction can be done pretty much everywhere. That's the wonderful part about it. But now that i think of it, i beleive i understand what exactly you mean about 'social'. What i meant though is any interaction between characters that further develop storytelling.

I have Sworn the oath of Sangus!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1838
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
I'm totally on board with what Dakkon is saying and agree. The dialog between player's characters not only fleshes out the characters themselves, but can help advance the story/adventure for them all. I enjoyed the brief time we were playing, Dakkon and would be happy to join forces again.

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 06-27-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9603
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
@ Eourl Thorson- Nope. Just need interest at the moment so our lovely Admins can see this isn't a dead end game and is worth their time to create.

And yeah whole reason we want to do the die rolling this way. To get people to branch out a bit.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3604
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
I've always been interested in playing a West Marches game! I'd love to get in on this, if possible.

What is your preferred ratio of Combat/Exploration/Social Interaction?

I'm with Gazmania on this one - I prefer Social/Exploration are on the same level to me - combat a bit below them because of the way that PbP combat is paced slower than average speed.

What types of characters do you like to play (e.g., melee, ranged, stealth, spell caster)?

Most of my D&D time has been DMing, so I don't have a solid preference. I'm just as happy playing a Champion Fighter or a Barbarian as I am playing a Sorceror or Wizard - as so long as I can find a good personality to play in that role.

What is your ideal posting frequency?

I'm not confident that I could do more than one post a day, but I could do one-a-day and definitely one every other day.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7409
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
I'd love to bring my Triton warlock over to the New West Marshes! We avoided an assault by griffons and didn't make it any further.

social interaction > combat > exploration

What types of characters do you like to play (e.g., melee, ranged, stealth, spell caster)?

I'll play any of them, but my Triton warlock is a ranged caster.

Once per day would be awesome but most campaigns can't keep that pace for long.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 419
bratr bratr bratr bratr bratr
Hello Everyone,

I would be interested in this. I have been playing a West Marches game with my friends over skype off and on for the last couple months, and it was pretty fun.

Exploration >> Social Interaction > Combat
I would happily avoid all conflict and just explore a wild and strange land, maybe pick up a few trinkets, and end up with a whole lot of stories to tell.

I typically like to play characters that can do one or more things. I enjoy pushing classes to do unconventional things, like playing a druid as a rogue or having a melee spell-casters. My preference for exploration and some social interaction means I like characters with lots of skills. I am happy to fill any role in a party, but I've had the most fun with either stealthy, ranged characters, or face of the party spell-casters.

It depends on the level of writing. If things are happening quickly, and posts only need to be a few lines, I can do 3 a week, but I would prefer a game that is 1-2 posts a week, that way I feel more free to explore my characters feelings and go over my posts a few times to make sure they are good.

Last edited by bratr; 06-27-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Formating
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Child of Destiny

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 306
TheGoodDrEw TheGoodDrEw TheGoodDrEw TheGoodDrEw
I'd be interested. So, questions.

What is your preferred ratio of Combat/Exploration/Social Interaction?: Combat=Social>Exploration. I feel like if I had to pick, I'd say Combat is a slight step up, but not by much.

What types of characters do you like to play (e.g., melee, ranged, stealth, spell caster)? I generally end up playing melee or "gish" type characters, but would step into whatever works for my rolls in this case.

What is your ideal posting frequency? I could do multiple times a day, but I generally would like about once per day. I tend to think "why say in ten words what can be said in two?" idea, but at the same time, I don't know that keeping things moving without considering how to say what I want to do is not that fun.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5
Dallion
I am interested continuing I was in alcyone's west marches and would like to transfer over my alchemist

Exploration >> Social Interaction > Combat
I am pretty flexable on all this

it depends on the mood i am in rangers, clerics and psions are my favorites
i strive for once a day

Last edited by Dallion; 06-27-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: to add more info
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
HQD HQD HQD HQD HQD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCeeJ View Post
Just had my baby girl born 2 days ago so I'll be on leave for a month.
Congrats!!!!!

Thanks very much to mighty, rook, and chimiboy for taking over west marches and getting it up and running again I would love to transfer Harle Danse over from the original. He is a wood elf ranger who will focus on stealth, ranged attacks, and exploration. All he wants to do is kill dragons. Lots of dragons.

My posting frequency is multiple times a day. I like fast groups.

Exploration > Combat > Social
^this ratio is not at all my usual, but for this game and the character I rolled, it will hold true. I'm kind of surprised at how many ppl have ranked social near the top, given the sort of game this is. I look forward to seeing how the gm's facilitate that Maybe we can jump on that idea of building a new settlement and defending it/developing trade!

GM of A Name in the Stars, ffg WH40k Black Crusade. Semi-open recruitment. PM for details.

Last edited by HQD; 06-27-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1838
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Thanks HQD!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72
thattripletguy
Hey everyone, I'm glad this game is continuing to go on. I heavily prefer social interaction and rp to exploration and combat. Thinking of rolling up a spearman or pikeman type guy.