RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
LtRipley
Fair enough, thank you!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3089
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Well, combat scenarios have completed, and I think we've got a few adjustments to the rules that will make the game a wee bit smoother for the PbP format.

That being said, I am looking for 2 or 3 more players who would like to join us in the campaign. If interested, please refer to the OP recruitment questions and answer them below. I'll be selecting replacement players, and everyone will be starting the campaign from the beginning.

Alternatively: Think of a character that would fit the opening scenario. All From the Player's Guide, no splat-books have been released for 4e yet, I'm willing to work with you on converting an older edition's Discipline.non-airship Disciplines are represented in the kaer (see first post) as are all races. Tell me about the character and answer these questions:

ApplicationName/race/Discipline of course, and a picture as well.
Why does the character wish to be part of the expedition?
What did their family do before the Scourge?
What did their family do during the Scourge (While many were miners, many more worked in supporting roles in the community)?
What are the character's greatest dreams and aspirations?
What are the character's most deeply held and sheltered fears?
Did they know any of the people who sacrificed themselves to the BloodWard Tree (see story of Kaer Darrow here)
Character creation can be done as a guided practice if you do not possess the 4e books, or you can tell me what you want, and I'll put something together, or take a pre-gen that is already finished. Your choice, but please wait until selected before we tackle that chore.

About the campaign:

Kaer Darrow is populated by the descendants of 10 villages from a great valley region east of the mighty merchant city of Travar. The villages could not afford the magical protections nor the kaer construction costs required for their protection as the Scourge drew near, but in the decades before the Scourge was due to begin, a cave network with veins of silver and gems was discovered.

Working quickly with a might merchant trading house, the 10 villages agreed to work throughout the 500 year Scourge, mining and refining the silver and and any other precious metals, and stockpiling any gems and True Elements that they managed to find. Upon the end of the Scourge, the kaer agreed to hand over all of the wealth they acquired, as payment for the merchant house's financing of the shelter, thus giving their descendants a chance at surviving the Scourge.

Well, 500 year have passed, and the Scourge is supposed to be over. 20 years ago, the kaer sent a small group of Adepts (people with magical talents, this includes martial classes, such as archers and warriors) to explore and report back after a year and a day, they never returned. 10 years ago, the attempt was repeated, to the same result.

Now, the time has come for another expeditionary force, and the elders of the kaer have decided on who of the many volunteers will make the journey forth, to find what they can about what has happened to the world outside of their shelter under the mountains.

The Adepts have two missions. 1) Find Travar, see if it survived the Scourge, and if House Achura survived as well, if so, deliver the Contracts of Completion and the small box (magically locked) to them. 2) Find out whatever you can about what happened to the rest of the world (well, the province of Barsaive, that is) during the Scourge, and return to Kaer Darrow in one year and one day, when the door will be opened again. If you are not there, then they will reseal the door for another 10 years.

Last edited by Karhald; 02-20-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
@ottdmk and @LtRipley

Not sure if you're still around, I see neither of you have posted in 2 weeks, and since you're still under 'newbie' status, I won't be able to chat with you via PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Still looking for 2 or 3 players for campaign.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3118
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Original applicationHave you ever played Earthdawn before? Nope.

Do you come here often? No, not in a creepy way, I mean do you check the boards daily? Maybe not daily, but regularly, and I get email notifications for the important stuff (ie. Anything in one of the games I'm in.)

Do you post from a PC or from a Tablet? Are you able to have multiple windows on your browser open at the same time?
Pc. Yes.
Do you know how to add extra rolls into a dice roll that's already been done? Nope. Never have had to.

If you are not chosen, would you still be willing to be placed into a 'waiting list' so if a current play-tester decides to leave, or just suddenly disappears, can I just shoot you a message and bring you over?

Sure.
What's better? Elves or Dwarves? Why? I'm not sure either race is superior to the other and I've played both in various systems, but I'll arbitrarily choose elves, because I'm feeling pretty today.

Describe a nightmare you've had. Recently I had a nightmare that I had killed two people, and I was hiding their bodies. A local detective had figured out that I was somehow connected to one of them and he was on to me. I woke up all freaked out that I was going to get caught in a cat and mouse game with this detective, despite the fact that I definitely did not murder anyone.

Tell me three traits about a favorite teacher you've had (past or present). I had a band director I absolutely loved. He was a huge nerd, he was compassionate, and he was family-oriented and worshipped the ground his kids walked on.

You're on a deserted island with five of your best friends, you've managed to make contact with the mainland via satellite phone, and help will be there in three days. What do you do while you wait to be rescued? ((assume you have adequate food and drink for survival))
We would probably build an epic fort.

Application
Amaranthae Eilren/elf/troubadour

Why does the character wish to be part of the expedition?
With her father's self-sacrifice and her brother's anger at the situation, Kaer Darrow is starting to feel cloying. Amaranthae can't stand being revered as a living hero for something her father did.

What did their family do before the Scourge?What did their family do during the Scourge?
Amaranthae's father came from a long line of wizards, the teachings passed on from parent to child. Amaranthae's mother died in an accident shortly after she was born, and her father supported her and her brother as a wizard, supporting the community in whatever way they had need of, pouring his grief for his wife out by relieving the grief of others wherever he was able. following his family tradition, he kept his children close to him and working in his workshop and out of the danger of the mines. It was not long before her father decided to aid the work of the Four Magicians and dedicated himself to supporting the defense of Kaer Darrow in any way that he could.

What are the character's greatest dreams and aspirations?
Amaranthae feels that her entire life has been defined by others, the death of her mother when she was young, the good works of her father, her father's eventual sacrifice, and her brother's rage. She has spent so long putting on a good face for the sake of her family, she feels she has never had an opportunity to figure out who she was, and she wants to get away from the pity and the reverent glances and her brother's constant seething to see what the world holds and what she can be... even if it means dying in the process.

What are the character's most deeply held and sheltered fears?
Amaranthae has always had nightmares of dying in the mines, despite never having worked in them. She is terribly claustrophobic, and unsettled by the dark. She has always been a people pleaser, and she's afraid she might be used by someone she respects (lately her brother) for wrongdoing, as she has been known to defer to the will of those she respects.

Did they know any of the people who sacrificed themselves to the BloodWard Tree?
Yes, her father sacrificed himself as soon as he was certain his children could care for themselves, using his death just as he had used his life in the service of Kaer Darrow.
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck
Old 02-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 165
ottdmk ottdmk
I'm not in the habit of checking in here regularly yet. Thanks for posting over at fasagames; I'm much more of a regular there. Still interested! Just want to come up with a new concept. Probably later today.

Last edited by ottdmk; 02-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
ottdmk, thanks for popping back in!

We have a T'Skrang Swordmaster and a Human Wizard, with an Elven Troubadour who just applied a couple days ago.

I'l be updating the opening thread with a roster of players and applicants as well.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 165
ottdmk ottdmk
Acton Brakebill, Windling Scout
Why does the character wish to be part of the expedition? Hello?!?!? Windling! We've been waiting to be able to wander again! Plus, I'm a Scout!
What did their family do before the Scourge? They did all kinds of things!
What did their family do during the Scourge? Again, all kinds of things!
What are the character's greatest dreams and aspirations? Get out and see the world!
What are the character's most deeply held and sheltered fears? To be trapped with no hope of escape.
Did they know any of the people who sacrificed themselves to the BloodWard Tree? My family used to live in the Windling community in the tree. It's scary. Everyone knows somebody who sacrificed themselves to keep up the wards. Not too many Windlings, but a few.

I suck at photos. Any assistance with finding a decent Windling photo would be appreciated.

Last edited by ottdmk; 03-01-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2249
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Karhald
Just seeing your name as DM got my interest. Do you have space for another character - a Dwarven Weaponsmith sounds right up my street. Never played the game but definitely interested
Old 03-04-2018, 12:44 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Well, it just wouldn't be a Karhald game if there wasn't a Fwalin McFundin in it!

Feel free to just come up with the concept, read up on the history of Kaer Darrow, and I'll help you out with the character sheet!

With your application, that brings us to 5 total. Room for one or two more, but enough to get started!

I'll keep applications open until March 14th for any others who might be interested in learning the wonders of Earthdawn.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Fundin Steelsearcher is the youngest son of the only family of Dwarven smiths [i.e the best smiths] in the Kaer. His 2 surviving elder brothers will get the family business so the only way he will make his fortune is to leave the Kaer. He has a twin sister, and Dwarf twins are rare especially fraternal twins, and would normally be expected to stay with her as they are seen as lucky, he needs to be part of the searchers. Like all Steelsearchers, he cannot accept that the current way of making items is the best, he experiments when he forges trying new mixes of metals, new forge adaptations and new designs whenever he can. Like all Dwarves, he likes heavy armour and large weapons, despises missile weapons other than javelins, darts and daggers and loves to eat, drink and be merry. But he lives to stand in the heat of the forge, hammer in hand and a piece of red hot metal being hammered into shape on the anvil.
His family lived in River's Heart and their weapons and armour were traded across the land. With the low birth rate amongst the Folk, few have gone to the BloodWard Tree until they have reached great age but Fundin's Great grandfather, Dorin and Grandfather, Geslin have both sacrificed themselves. The forges they work have made the tools, weapons and armour that the Kaer have used these 500 years and Dwalin, Fundin's father, is sure that with the improvements that they have made they will all be rich once the Scourge has passed.
[Hope that's enough to make a start, Karhald. Let me know what else you need from me. You have played Dwarves with me, and watched me play Dwarves. I guess you know what you are getting! This one will be less holy than Dvalin and less martial than Balen but still all Folk!]

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; 03-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for your application!

Dwarves in Earthdawn are a little different, but not all, Dwarves in Earthdawn have slighly pointed ears, while Elves and Windlings have the long, knife-like ears that you see in World of Warcraftmost of the typical RPG tropes that define Dwarves are still there, but Earthdawn Dwarven culture is a little closer to Tolkien, or perhaps the scholars of the temples of Moradin. You'll have the battlerager types, and the AYE LADDIE I BE WANTIN' TA TEST ME AXE ON YER NECK! C'MERE, I'LL GIVE YE A DWARVEN KISS!Dorf types, of course, but in the capital city of Throal, the most popular form of public competition is scholarly debate. Yeah, Dwarves are a bunch of nerds, they're also the most populous race, the common tongue is Dwarven, not human.

Before the Scourge, there was an Empire that had subjugated the province, and the ministers of the province were the Dwarves, so there are some hard feelings from the longer lived races that remember that the Dwarves were the sniveling sycophants of the Theran empire. However! The Dwarves, during the Scourge (your characters will learn about this after leaving the kaer, since the entire community has been sealed from the world for half a millennia) the Dwarves of Throal debated and created a new system of government that declared Barsaive an independent nation, free of Theran shackles, defined a person's body as property of their soul (banished slavery), and consolidated the powers of many of the Namegivers in Barsaive to fight off the Therans when the Empire tried to return and re-affirm their role as subjugators and masters.

Also before the Scourge, the Kingdom of Throal created the Book of Tomorrow, and distributed copies to all of the kaers, to prepare them for the day they emerged. It taught Dwarven language and hinted towards what the Kingdom of Throal would be doing once the Scourge was over. Kaer Darrow has a copy of that tome.

I'll try to get some more history up there in the game forum, as time allows.

Last edited by Karhald; 03-04-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Some aspects of my application fit (the constant search for betters steels etc.) but we will have to change others. No problem either way and I will have to channel a little more Dvalin than I thought. Sounds a fascinating campaign!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 371
Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper Slimcreeper
I like what you've done with the twin sister! Your Dwarf sounds like a devotee of the Passion Upandal, patron of builders and forges. Occasionally, his inspiration drives his followers nearly mad with creative fervor. I play a dwarf troubadour in the our Westmarches-style game on the FASA forums. He's just a straight-ahead good guy, and more than willing to put his spear between his friends and danger.

(Passions are god analogs, but act more like really powerful spirits.)

I strongly recommend the Earthdawn books - the world building is really excellent. For Dwarfs, the 1st editon Kingdom of Throal book is great. You can safely ignore 2nd edition, but most all of the sourcebooks from 1st edition are amazing. A little out of date in terms of the current timeline, but that probably won't matter in this campaign much. And the 4th ed Player's handbook moves the story forward pretty easily.

There is a race book with a bunch of info on dwarves also, Denizens of Barsaive vol 2. It really showcases how Earthdawn turned the old fantasy tropes on their head, while playing homage to the source material.
http://fasagames.com/catalog/index.p...roducts_id=595
Throal:
http://fasagames.com/catalog/index.p...roducts_id=604

Those old PDFs are dirt cheap.

Last edited by Slimcreeper; 03-05-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Fwalin McFundin, thank you for posting up the character in the game forum, I like how you've organized it, and the Knowledge skill of Item Design will go well with all of the tinkering he'll be doing, especially when combined with the magically augmented Talent of Craftsman. Should be a fun concept, and I look forward to it!

Still accepting applications until tomorrow, at which point we'll get the game under way while characters are fleshed out mechanics-wise. Hoping for lots of RP and storybuilding, thanks for the interest shown, and looking forward to hopefullyconverting a few more people into fans of the Earthdawn system.

Quote:
Those old PDFs are dirt cheap.
Yeah, even the new PDF's are cheap, I snap them up whenever something new is released. I love how FASA immediately offers the PDF as a cheap alternative to the hardcopy. Perfect for someone like me who does almost all of his posting during downtime at work, or when on the road, and cannot carry hardcopy with me, but I've always got my tablet.

However, over the next few years, I'll be building up a library of old books for when my sons are old enough to play. My 3 year old already likes looking through my DnD 3.x stuff (with supervision, and Pictures in there are nightmare fuelBook of Vile Darkness is kept out of reach), or as he calls them, "Daddy's Monster Books!"

Last edited by Karhald; 03-12-2018 at 08:27 PM.