Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Funny? Odd? Why not both.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 470
komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig
Mind the Gap

2018-07-01: We've had a few players mysteriously disappear, so we are now looking for 2-3 replacement players.
We really need a 'captain' who is committed to regular posting and inhabiting that role. All other classes / races etc. are fine.

Remaining players are
Pilot / Operative
Gunner / Mystic

If you've not yet applied before, please post a new app. If you have an existing app and you want to make tweaks, let me know when its ready and re-link met to it. I'd ideally like to resume play by the July 15. So the tentative cutoff date for apps is July 10th.

Game NameMind the Gap
Game SystemStarfinder
ThemeExploration, Combat and RP in a semi-sandbox. I plan on starting out with a short crawl to get everyone’s feet wet with the system, party and their character. As we get suitably damp together, I’ll develop plot hooks to continue the story and balance the RP/Combat/Exploration content accordingly.
FlavourLighthearted to semi-serious
“Post Rate”Minimum is 1-2 week.
More frequent interaction among the party encouraged, but my plan is try and advance the action at least weekly.

”A holo-vert hovers outside of your local spaceport, the letters in red washes out most of the small print’ ”
All eligible beings will be given
FREE
transportation, accommodation, equipment and a
Trip
full of adventure and interest, forming the greatest event of their lives,
To
serve their fellow beings by exploring the uncharted galaxy, collecting knowledge, protecting the Pact Worlds and
Absalom;
Departure
from your woes and an ordinary life
Guaranteed
along with a chance for fame fame and fortune starting
Today
upon your enlistment in the Starfinder Society!

“Plot Summary” Very little is known about the Gap, how it happened, or even how long it lasted. What is known is that the Gap represents the near total loss of all memories and records spanning an unknown number of years. The Starfinder Society was established to find the cause of the Gap, and unravel the mysteries that all seem to lead back to it.

It has been 100 years since the Scoured Stars Incident. A massive Starfinder Society expedition intended to investigate an anomalous region of space. The expedition, consisting of 80% of the Society's agents and resources, disappeared unexpectedly. Teams sent to find the expedition have suffered the same, unknown, fate. With all hands assumed lost, the Forum has forbidden any further missions to the region.

Rebuilding the Society over the course of the past century has been no easy task. Progress, such as it was, had been hampered by petty squabbles and power plays that come with politics within the Forum. The ranks have yet to return to the levels before the Incident. Many lodges can't keep track of the assets in their charge. Many galactic treasures are vulnerable to criminals, pirates, cults, and other evils small and great.

There is hope ahead for the Starfinders. The Forum finally held the election to fill the office of First Seeker, vacant since the Incident. The Forum also set aside the many emergency powers it had granted itself over the last century. This transition signals a return to the structure from the Society’s original charter

To make up for lost time, First Seeker Elsebo has ramped up recruiting efforts galaxy wide. Her aim is to surpass the Starfinder Society’s pre-Incident numbers and influence.. Gone are the prohibition on non-pact races professional quotas, and extensive records checks. So long as the application is willing to join; can contribute to the Society’s mission; and has no outstanding warrants, or at least credits to facilitate a paperwork error; they are in.

The recruitment campaign paints the Starfinders as a path to fortune, fame and glory. For many of the senior members, there is some truth; but becoming a senior member isnt easy. Applicants start off as independent contractors and assigned to a crew of other contractors. The gear and ships loaned, not issued, to the crews is slightly better than salvage. The terms of which heavily favor the Society: only 2 years to repay, with interest.

Assuming the crew survives, the Society garnishes 15% of the mission pay in service of the loan. The Society reserves first right to buy incidental "salvage" stemming from official assignments. Its for this reason its not unheard of for fledgling Starfinder crews to take side jobs to pay off their loan on-time.

And this is where we start. That recruiting hologram caught your attention, for some reason, and you inked your contract. You’re now on your way to Absalom with a hanger assignment. Upon your arrival you will meet the rest of your crew of 4-6, get your ship and first mission

“Application”
Starfinder Society
Independent Contractor Agreement
SF 601 Rev 2-56

Forward to the Bureau of Starfinder Personnel upon completion

1. Name:

2. Race:
Instruction: Recruitment waiver required for non Andoird, Human, Kasatha, Lashunta, Shirren, Vesk or Ysoki races.

3. Alignment:
Instruction: Regulation 2112-38:42 Prohibits Evil aligned applicants from entering contract with the Starfinder Society. Regulation 2112-4:1:76 requires chaotic aligned applicants to submit to installation of subdural galactic positioning beacon prior to contract execution.

4. Appearance
Instruction: Recruiting staff with access to photography equipment should provide a single image; otherwise, a brief description that would provide positive identification of the application upon their arrival to Absalom Station is required.

5. Theme:

6. Class:

7. Background Check:
Instruction: The applicant must describe the significant highlights of their background in a brief 250-500 word summary. Once furnished, recruitment staff shall make a best effort attempt to validate what was provided. Regulation 2112:20:33 preventing acceptance of applicants with pending charges, outstanding warrants, undergoing active proceedings, or with a bounty on their head. Recruitment staff are reminded that accepting bribes by applicants attempting to conceal, or otherwise evade the restrictions if 2112:20:33 is strictly forbidden, and punishable by the Starfinder Society taking a 70% cut.

8. Meritorious Conduct:
Instruction: The applicant must provide recorded footage of an event demonstrates their capability to be an effective contractor for the Starfinder Society. Should such footage not be readily available to be turned over, the applicant shall demonstrate through ‘Role Play’ a Sample of their capabilities. The recruiter will then document this in 250-500 words.

9. Motivation:
Instruction: The applicant shall provide a brief (3-5 sentences) paragraph describing their long-term motivations and how joining the Starfinders furthers that goal.

Acknowledgements and Agreements
By completing this application, I acknowledge that:
  • I will be an independent contractor of the Starfinder Society
  • I will be placed on a crew of 4-6 individuals.
  • The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
  • The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
  • The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
  • Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
  • Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.

FAQ: Q: Can I ask a question?
A: You just did, but sure go for it.

Q: What material can I draw from?
A: CRB, StarJammer SRD, PW are fine as is. I'm hesitant, but willing to consider to AA races.

Q: Should I go ahead and fill out a character sheet?
A: You don't have to for as a part of the application. If it helps you with developing your character knock yourself out. No dice rolling in this thread!

Q: How will we be doing stats?
A: I strongly recommend point buy, but you're welcome to roll just not in this thread!

Q: What about starting credits?
A: 1,000 credits

Q: Will you accept players new to Starfinder?
A: Only if you'll accept a GM who has never PBP GMd before! (Yes!)

Q: When are completed app's due?
A: I will be closing applications on Aug 3rd, subject to change based on interest. Post interest or partial by 0800 EST July 23rd. Party selection occurs once all apps are completed, or 0800 July 27 - whichever happens first.

Q: What about homebrew rules?
A: I'm shamelessly stealing borrowing with permission, from 'So you want to be a Starfinder'

Q: Can I apply with a character from another game?
A: Sure

Q: What are you looking for in a good app?
A: Fit with the tone. Threads that I can weave into game. Party chemistry. Pop culture references and humor a plus. Minor typos, spelling errors and autocorrect interference don’t bother me too much – as long as the application looks like it’s had thought and effort put into it AND it wont be a super consistent issue in your gameplay.

Last edited by komischkoenig; 07-01-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Recruitment closing
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 361
SolidIriquois SolidIriquois SolidIriquois SolidIriquois
Going to post interest, with intent to create an application.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 716
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
Buzz's Application
“Application”
Starfinder Society
SF 601 Rev 2-56

1. Name: Buzz

2. Race: Ysoki
Instruction: Recruitment waiver required for non Andoird, Human, Kasatha, Lashunta, Shirren, Vesk or Ysoki races.

3. Alignment: Chaotic Good
Instruction: Regulation 2112-38:42 Prohibits Evil aligned applicants from entering contract with the Starfinder Society. Regulation 2112-4:1:76 requires chaotic aligned applicants to submit to installation of subdural galactic positioning beacon prior to contract execution.

4. Appearance Brown fur, with a white patch going from his left eye to the tip of his left ear. He wheres functional utility clothing to carry all his tools, in greens and browns.
Instruction: Recruiting staff with access to photography equipment should provide a single image; otherwise, a brief description that would provide positive identification of the application upon their arrival to Absalom Station is required.

5. Theme: Ace Pilot

6. Class: Mechanic

7. Background Check: Born on Absalom Station. Buzz was fasinated by how the station worked. He was called Buzz by the mechanics that worked the docking area because of the way he buzzed back and forth asking "Whats this do, Ooh Whats that?" As he got older, aquiring disgarded thises and thats, It soon took on a new meaning. He would get things fixed faster than anyone else, usually without being asked to help or help being wanted. He eventually built his first drone,ZZIIPP, with all the items he aquired. Next he got into racing. He programmed ZZIIPP with the piloting skills he aquired while racing for the Mechanics on the station. This allowed him to make repairs while ZZIIPP took over. This caused him to win more races which earned him more privlages in the workshop.
Instruction: The applicant must describe the significant highlights of their background in a brief 250-500 word summary. Once furnished, recruitment staff shall make a best effort attempt to validate what was provided. Regulation 2112:20:33 preventing acceptance of applicants with pending charges, outstanding warrants, undergoing active proceedings, or with a bounty on their head. Recruitment staff are reminded that accepting bribes by applicants attempting to conceal, or otherwise evade the restrictions if 2112:20:33 is strictly forbidden, and punishable by the Starfinder Society taking a 70% cut.

8. Meritorious Conduct: Buzz tightened the last bolt. "Finally, I am defenantly going to when my next race." He said with a smile. Pressing the power button the drone rose into the air. "So what to call you" As the drone zips around the room. Smiling he says "ZZIIPP, thats perfect!" Heading to the hanger Buzz imaganing all he could do with his share of the winnings.

As he finished his final lap in 1st place he was extatic. Climbing out of his cockpit with a big smile on his face, one of the mechanics slapped him on sth shoulder. "Good run there Buzz." He headed over to the George the Chief Mechanic "I did good this time George" with a big grin on his face. "You did good, Buzz, You did real good. Buzz looked up "Can I have my winnings now, I want to get a down payment on a ship" rubbing his hands. George looked down at Buzz "I'm sorry Buzz we had to use the winnings to pay for all the ast damages on the speeders, there is nothing left, maybe next time. George started Walking away "But... But..." Buzz said looking at his empty hands. Turning away he noticed a sign on the wall. FREE TRIP...Starfinder Society! Maybe this will be what I need.
Instruction: The applicant must provide recorded footage of an event demonstrates their capability to be an effective contractor for the Starfinder Society. Should such footage not be readily available to be turned over, the applicant shall demonstrate through ‘Role Play’ a Sample of their capabilities. The recruiter will then document this in 250-500 words.

9. Motivation: Buzz wants to find a place to belong. After his dissapointment with racing, he feels like he is being taken advantage of. Starfinder should provide a place where he can help, but not overlooked. Oh he also relly really wants his own ship to tinker with.
Instruction: The applicant shall provide a brief (3-5 sentences) paragraph describing their long-term motivations and how joining the Starfinders furthers that goal.

• I will be an independent contractor of the Starfinder Society
  • I will be placed on a crew of 4-6 individuals.
  • The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
  • The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
  • The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
  • Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
  • Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
You willing to play with a new player?
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Application for Employment Theas LofiStarfinder Society
SF 601 Rev 2-56

1. Name: Theas Lofi

2. Race: Korasha Lashunta

3. Alignment: Neutral Good

4. Appearance

5. Theme: Mercenary

6. Class: Solarian

7. Background Check: Theas grew up on Castrovel in the city of Komena. Being from a location where the military was particularly active, Theas joined up with the local army to enforce the laws and control the formian hives. Eventually, though, Theas grew bored of this life and would depart, exploring the galaxies in search of new experiences.

It was when he met the four armed Kasathas that he found his way in the world, learning the Solarian way under the supervision of the elders of Clan Regas, Theas learned with them, and when released as a practicing Solarian in his own right, used the skills to progress as a soldier for hire, where he felt he may learn more from people as he met them. On a constant journey for more knowledge, Theas will always be willing to pick up a new trick or skill, even if it risks his own health.

He did learn through his time as a mercenary, though, not to allow himself to be treated like an assassin. He take great pride in being an enforcer and a source of control, not a chaotic agent who is willing to do whatever the person with the money tells him to do. When he has acted just in the interest of money, he has gotten into trouble, a couple of times, needing a mercenary partner to bail him out of jail. Since then, he has made it clear he will not work with a group that does not vet their leads as being for actual mercenary work.

8. Meritorious Conduct: Theas looked around at the Skydock and felt like nothing could stop him now. Finally, he was on Verces. Surely he could learn more information and new skills from the most technologically advanced pact planet. He had made a good decision when he enlisted with this Private Military Company. "Job first, then pleasure" Theas thought, reminding himself that he's the senior officer here for the 4 man corp.

Composing himself, Theas turned to his companions and said, "Now, to find the Steward sent to meet us." He looked around for the telltale sign of a steward, and laughed and told the newest recruits "Stewards are the law enforcers here, so look for someone who might have a stick up their ass." It was then he heard the sound of a man clearing his throat behind him. Theas turned and nodded to the steward, "Theas Lofi, reporting to..."

"I know why you are here, Mister Lofi, you need not advertise this action by my group to everyone here." The steward cut him off. "We will talk in private, you can do your job, and you may leave."

Theas sighed, a bad time to make a joke, it seemed. "Yes, sir, I was never informed that this was a more discrete job. I apologize for my transgression." Theas could not afford to mess up when he was first assigned to a mission, and when he heard his android recruit starting to speak, Theas caught his eye and shook his head, silencing the recruit immediately.

The steward, as Theas called him since he didn't seem keen to introduce himself, led Theas to a small room telling the rest of the group to stay outside. "It's probably a holding cell," Theas thought.

The steward said, "You will go to the surface of the planet, attempt and fail to assassinate the Greenspeaker and make it look like the Cult of the Devourer did it. Should you be caught, we never had this conversation."

"What?" Theas practically yelled. "We're private military, not assassins! We help with security, we don't start wars between factions. You want this done, you hire the mafia or something."

The steward looked at him and said "If you refuse, this is the end for you." as he locked the door behind him and pulls out his plasma pistol.

Theas put his hands up and said "Calm down. We can work this out." As the steward began to lower his weapon, the lashunta let out a burst of psychic energy, dazing the steward, and lunges with a punch. As he did a gauntlet made of stellar energy formed around his hand. The single blow knocks the steward unconscious.

Theas opened the door, quickly signalled for the others to follow him and searched for the next ship off this planet, he needed to find a new job, and quick.

9. Motivation: Long term, Theas wants to satisfy his natural curiosity. Joining the Starfinders allows him to find new cultures and learn from each of them. Being able to go on adventures further satisfies his wanderlust, which is why he has never been very happy to remain in one place.

I will be an independent contractor of the Starfinder Society
I will be placed on a crew of 4-6 individuals.
The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.

Last edited by SolidIriquois; 07-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
You willing to play with a new player?
As long as you don't mind a new GM
Old 07-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by komischkoenig View Post
As long as you don't mind a new GM
Great! I’m thinking on going Vesk
Old 07-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Application1. Name: Jeva

2. Race: Vesk

3. Alignment: Lawful Neutral

4. Appearance

5. Theme: Dragonblood

6. Class: Soldier

7. Background Check:
Jeva lived on Vesk Prime for most of his life, as it was originally the only planet he knew while growing up, until he became a young adult. When he was officially an adult, he made his way out of the Vesk System to the Pact Worlds System, as he heard the planets there were under a mutual protection and trade. Sounds alot better than this solitude ridden system that seemed to be at war with the Pact Worlds. Upon arrival at Absalom Station, he picked up work as a bouncer as a night club, a club owned by a Ysoki named Chodim, though as he worked there, he began to notice more issues with the station, mostly regarding people not bothering to go after criminals, instead waiting until they show up to catch them. Luckily, Jeva’s boss knew someone who could help him with his issue, seeing that the Vesk was no longer enjoying the bouncer work. The Vesk left his work as a Bouncer and learned his combat ability from a retired human bounty hunter, one by the name of Ziamno, giving his title to the Vesk. The Bounty Hunter enjoyed his young spirit for justice and thought he'd be perfect as a bounty hunter in the future, so he saw if he was up to it with difficult training missions, usually just hunting down minor criminals.

Vesk spent the next few years being a bounty hunter, going after criminals and bringing them back in, dead or alive. The Stewards recognize his work and will even pay him for bringing his bounties in, as while he may be rough with capturing, his work is done legally. Jeva made a name for himself but he was becoming bored of work on Absalom Station. He wanted to do something a little more, maybe work that would require him to leave the station more. As he was bringing a criminal to the authorities, he took notice of an holo-vert regarding some kind of crew work. He copied its contact and decided to go attempt to join this crew. A new work life…

8. Meritorious Conduct:
It seems that the footage from security footage from outside one of Absolom Stations clubs.

A Lashunta runs down the alleyway, out of breath and in an obviously panic. Wearing his leather coat, he stopped behind a dumpster to catch his breath. He peeked around the dumpster to see if whatever was chasing him still was. It seemed like nothing was there anymore, so he took a deep sigh of relief, though that wasn’t a good idea. From the other side of the alleyway, having made his way to the other side to catch him, stood a tall and muscular Vesk, wearing a jacket. The Lashunta nearly screamed and grabbed a metal baton from his belt, though the Vesk grabbed the Lashunta by the collar, disarmed him and slammed him into the wall.
"Alright, Zas, I’m taking you in. Tell me, where do you store the weapons for your buyers?"
"Bastard liza—"
The Vesk slammed the Lashunta into the wall again, the bug man losing his breath from the impact, a little blood dripping from his mouth. The Vesk lifted him up higher, "I’m sorry, what was that?"
"couch… I-it’s in the Goim General Needs basement… th-the owner is unaware…"
The Vesk grabbed out bonds and binded the Lashunta’s hands together, "Well, thank you for that. Now, let’s see what the authorities think of your black market work."
The Vesk began dragging the Lashunta down the street, toward the security station to get Zas put away, eventually getting out of the camera’s view.

9. Motivation:
Peace. Jeva wishes for absolute peace or at least for the Stewards to 'work harder so I don't have to'

I will be an independent contractor of the Starfinder Society
I will be placed on a crew of 4-6 individuals.
The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.

Last edited by Krow Nest; 07-15-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:04 PM

Tools
User Statistics
If anyone would like a place to do some dice rolls as a part of building their application; the game has been created along with a dice rolling thread.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I think the only issue I'm gonna have is the backstory...
Old 07-15-2018, 12:42 AM
Snek

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 775
Qalyar Qalyar Qalyar Qalyar Qalyar Qalyar Qalyar
Placeholder for a likely application in the upcoming day or three.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, I consider my application completed unless I missed something
Old 07-15-2018, 07:52 AM

Tools
User Statistics
@SolidIriquois - thanks. Will update the status table a bit later.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 716
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
I consider Mine Complete Also
Old 07-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I hope its good enough.. But I am done