twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Charlotte Charlotte
Congrats to the newbies! Hope you have a great time.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1119
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Oof, I never finished my app, alas. @.@ Congratulations to the victors! :3
Old 07-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Funny? Odd? Why not both.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 470
komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig komischkoenig
2018-07-01: We've had a few players mysteriously disappear, so we are now looking for 2-3 replacement players.
We really need a 'captain' who is committed to regular posting and inhabiting that role. All other classes / races etc. are fine.

Remaining players are
Pilot / Operative
Gunner / Mystic
Engineer / Technomancer

If you've not yet applied before, please post a new app. If you have an existing app and you want to make tweaks, let me know when its ready and re-link met to it. I'd ideally like to resume play by the July 15. So the tentative cutoff date for apps is July 10th.

---

The story so far, readers digest version:

The Starfinder Society assembled a crew essentially out whoever was hanging around, and assigned them to a ship that was in very rough shape. The AI of the Ship obsesses over going out in glorious battle so that it may enter the halls of Damoritosh. For that reason the crew named the ship / A.I "The Ozymandias" or Ozzy for short. As they took stock of the ship, the crew received their first mission: investigate reports of a rare regent that is rumored to be in great abundance in the Tau Ceti system. They were to meet with a local contact in system at specific deep space coordinates; however, there was only a unmanned probe there. After a thorough investigation, the crew identified it as a dead drop and activated a video message from an associate of their contact who identified that the source of the regent was a live, breeding pair of bos primigenius.

As the Ozy began heading towards their new objective, a ship by the name of The Orbital Obtainer dropped out of the drift. This new ship headed directly for the Ozy, hailing that they had been sent by the Society to release the Ozymandias from their mission since they were ill-equipped to handle live cargo. Unconvinced, the crew of the Ozy cut off communication and continued - to which the Orbital Obtainer responded to with an attack.

The two ships are now locked in combat, with the Orbital Obtainer looking in rough shape.

Last edited by komischkoenig; 07-02-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hm, interesting!

Everyone still 1st level? Also, what's the parachute for new PCs look like? Being retconned in, or is there another ship nearby, or...refugees from this damaged ship maybe...?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 716
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
I'm interested with my mechanic I signed up with. If you would like me to start something for the captain role I can come up with something new.

Last edited by RedWolfe77; 07-01-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Hm, interesting!

Everyone still 1st level? Also, what's the parachute for new PCs look like? Being retconned in, or is there another ship nearby, or...refugees from this damaged ship maybe...?
we lost a captain earlier and I took 4th wall breaking Douglas Adams retcon. I've got an idea to get folks on board relatively quickly without a huge retcon but it would take us figuring out how you got there.

I don't think the existing players would mind another Reardon
All are still 1st lvl
Old 07-02-2019, 12:54 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 159
Aria Aria
Application very WIP, but I could conceive of Maria acting as a captain (admittedly an untraditional one), as I can't imagine captaining a starship is that different from acting like a prophet to a cult starborne nomadic religion.
“Application”
Starfinder Society
Independent Contractor Agreement
SF 601 Rev 2-56

Forward to the Bureau of Starfinder Personnel upon completion

1. Name: Maria, Touched by Hope

2. Race: Human
Instruction: Recruitment waiver required for non Andoird, Human, Kasatha, Lashunta, Shirren, Vesk or Ysoki races.

3. Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Instruction: Regulation 2112-38:42 Prohibits Evil aligned applicants from entering contract with the Starfinder Society. Regulation 2112-4:1:76 requires chaotic aligned applicants to submit to installation of subdural galactic positioning beacon prior to contract execution.

4. Appearance: Cloaked in the white robes of her faith, Maria carries herself as one blessed by the Goddess ought to, with a sense of dignity and power that commands respect. While she isn't particularly muscular, she moves with such belief in her own power that others often find themselves unconsciously yielding to her. Along with the traditional robes of her people, Maria wears a bracelet with a smooth, shiny white stone inlaid in it. The stone is etched with the sigil of her Goddess, acting as a holy symbol for Maria.

5. Theme: Priest

6. Class: Solarian

7. Background Check: Maria was born on a small ship of devout believers. Some people call it a cult, but its members all know better. Known as the Heirs of the Forgotten, the community lives and operates more-or-less self-sufficiently, drifting throughout Pact space. Their primary mission is the deciphering of their sacred text, a thick tome of what they believe to be full of prophecies and deep truths about the universe, known only as 'the Word'. Unfortunately for them, the author of the book lived during the Gap, and as such all records of the true meanings of its words have been lost. Worse, the entire book is written deep in metaphor and allusion to a context long since lost. Thus, the Heirs were left without guidance, until the birth of a very unusual girl. From the time she could read and write, Maria was translating the lessons of the Word into language comprehensible by her people. Her very first translation was rather simple: “From mid-night to morning, thou shalt not stray.” Her translation was simple, blunt, and (at least to the Heirs) elegant: “Don't travel through time.”

From that day forth, Maria was stripped of her family name and all commitments thereof and dedicated by her society to their common cause of deciphering as much of the Word as possible. For many years she was successful in this task, deciphering most of the passages of low or middling difficulty: passages on the laws, advice for the nomadic lifestyle, and various other pieces of small practical and spiritual advice. Maria grew to be revered as something of a prophet among her people, being bestowed the title 'Touched by Hope'. Then came the translation of the paragraph that changed everything. She learned that the Goddess of the Heirs was associated primarily with the stars and memory, and that in order to truly comprehend Her, a disciple must seek Her amongst the “Forgotten Lands”. This revelation also allowed her to connect with some of the powers of the stars she now worshipped. Thus, with her society's blessing, Maria departed for the Starfinder Society, hoping that their resources would help her find answers.

8. Meritorious Conduct:
Instruction: The applicant must provide recorded footage of an event demonstrates their capability to be an effective contractor for the Starfinder Society. Should such footage not be readily available to be turned over, the applicant shall demonstrate through ‘Role Play’ a Sample of their capabilities. The recruiter will then document this in 250-500 words.

9. Motivation:
Maria aims to find the secret of her Goddess among the stars, as prophesied in the Word. She hopes that the Starfinder Society will send her to less settled parts of the universe where the Goddess's touch can be felt more strongly than in civilized space. She believes that she is destined to uncover this secret, and as such will risk anything to continue down the path to her next revelation.

Acknowledgements and Agreements
By completing this application, I acknowledge that:
  • I will be an independent contractor of the Starfinder Society
  • I will be placed on a crew of 4-6 individuals.
  • The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
  • The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
  • The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
  • Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
  • Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.

Last edited by Aria; 07-02-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolfe77 View Post
I'm interested with my mechanic I signed up with. If you would like me to start something for the captain role I can come up with something new.
Our technomancer / engineer did just pipe up as lurking/waiting. Thats not to say ship roles cant be shuffled around or that we cant have more than one engineer type. More that - if you want to move forward with Buzz, he'll be sharing the technology spotlight
Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I'm willing to toss my hat in the ring. Still need a captain? I have a soldier I could do.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 716
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
I would definitely like to move forward with Buzz.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Charlotte Charlotte
I'm up for it. I've never tried an envoy before, so I might make one up!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Envoys are fun. They can be useful both in combat and out of combat, and have a good amount of build flexibility.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:56 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
“Application”
Starfinder Society
SF 601 Rev 2-56

1. Name: Levi Grumby

2. Race: Ysoki
Instruction: Recruitment waiver required for non Andoird, Human, Kasatha, Lashunta, Shirren, Vesk or Ysoki races.

3. Alignment: Neutral-good
Instruction: Regulation 2112-38:42 Prohibits Evil aligned applicants from entering contract with the Starfinder Society. Regulation 2112-4:1:76 requires chaotic aligned applicants to submit to installation of subdural galactic positioning beacon prior to contract execution.

4. Appearance
left-aligned image
File Attached
Instruction: Recruiting staff with access to photography equipment should provide a single image; otherwise, a brief description that would provide positive identification of the application upon their arrival to Absalom Station is required.

5. Theme: Tempered Pilgrim.

6. Class: Envoy.

7. Background Check: Subject's background check reports he is a middle child of a large family (census indicates 38 members of family unit) on the lower decks of Absalom station. Confirmed education at Deck 22 youth education facility, graduation indicated to be 6 years ago. Parental units are legally employed. 3 members of his family unit have open juvenile cases or are currently incarcerated or on the run. Currently unemployed, last date of employment was 2 weeks ago.
Running background check... juvenile records are sealed, access denied... Adult criminal record is clean, no activity on file. References... prior employers are various captains of independent trade vessels. Each contacted reference gave glowing report of Levi's performance, behavior, and negotiating skills. Background check of subject's digital passport indicates he has visited Castrovel, Akiton, and Eox on multiple occasions. No reports of customs violations. Footnote on customs file indicates 'quite charming'.
Instruction: The applicant must describe the significant highlights of their background in a brief 250-500 word summary. Once furnished, recruitment staff shall make a best effort attempt to validate what was provided. Regulation 2112:20:33 preventing acceptance of applicants with pending charges, outstanding warrants, undergoing active proceedings, or with a bounty on their head. Recruitment staff are reminded that accepting bribes by applicants attempting to conceal, or otherwise evade the restrictions if 2112:20:33 is strictly forbidden, and punishable by the Starfinder Society taking a 70% cut.

8. Meritorious Conduct: *Click* The camera flicks on, revealing Levi sitting on a chair sized for a smaller creature like a Ysoki.
"So..." a voice off camera starts. "This will be your first interview?"
The young Ysoki nods his head, his cheeks turning up just enough to show he's smiling. "First interview with the society, yes." he replied, speaking clearly and without any nervousness. "I must say I'm quite impressed with the facilities here."
"Thank you." the voice replied. "Now, tell me something about your application. Do you have any relevant work experience? Spent time out in space?"
Levi nods, his ear flicking. "Yeah. I spent the last... oh, four-ish years on various trading ships crossing the black as a hand. Helped move cargo and help with trading. I got a knack for languages so it encouraged me to learn how to get along."
"Get along?"
"Yeah," Levi replied. "Many languages don't just need you to know the sentence structure or grammar, you also need to know how the people who use the language think when they compose sentences. Otherwise you just sound... odd. Like when you talk to one of those low-grade AI vendors? Can grill up a tasty soyburger, but couldn't speak a coherent sentence if it was all prerecorded lines... which most of them are."
"Okay... moving on. I see here that you are a 'pilgrim'. Tell me about that."
Levi nodded enthusiastically. "Okay so one of the cultures I adored growing up was Kasathan. Their youth have to learn to temper their... emotional outbursts, learn discipline, that kind of thing, so they travel out individually to experience the universe before they return home and have to cool it down a lot. So these pilgrimages are to temper them, let them get out the things they need out and also learn new traditions they want to add to their life to make it richer. That's... why I'm doing it. You don't have to have four arms and indescribable mouth parts to find meaning in a culture."
"I understand. Absalom station is a melting pot of cultural heritages." the other voice replied. "And you think that the Starfinder Society is the nest step on your journey?"
Levi grins, nodding. "Absolutely!" he replies enthusiastically. "The society is in need of people who want to explore and cultivate knowledge... make connections. That's what I want to do! And if I spend a few years with the society and decide I want to stay at it, then even better."
There is a small pause as the interviewer jots something down. "That will be all, thank you for your time. The society will reach out to you once we have processed all your data and look at potential positions."
*Click*
Instruction: The applicant must provide recorded footage of an event demonstrates their capability to be an effective contractor for the Starfinder Society. Should such footage not be readily available to be turned over, the applicant shall demonstrate through ‘Role Play’ a Sample of their capabilities. The recruiter will then document this in 250-500 words.

9. Motivation: Levi follows the Kasathan cultural behavior of 'tempered pilgrimage', and has applied to join the Starfinder Society to expand his horizons. His youth was spent learning about other cultures and peoples, and he believes that by serving a few years with the Society he will learn far more than just drifting from station to station. He also wants to find something approaching a career for his life, so that he could return home knowing more about what he wants to do with it. Levi focuses on providing guidance or amiable social interactions and finding a diplomatic solution if at all possible.
Instruction: The applicant shall provide a brief (3-5 sentences) paragraph describing their long-term motivations and how joining the Starfinders furthers that goal.

• The crew will jointly finance a ship furnished by the Starfinder Society, to be repaid within 2 years of assignment.
  • The Starfinder Society will withhold 15% of mission payments in service to this debt.
  • The Starfinder Society will have first option on purchasing information, resources, salvage and other items of value collected on a Starfinder Society sanctioned mission.
  • Crew members are expected to maintain sufficient conditioning to keep pace with one another.
  • Upon repayment of ship and equipment financing, - I will be eligible to become a full member of the Starfinder Society and enjoy all the privileges and benefits that come with that status.

Last edited by Runetide; 07-11-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Charlotte Charlotte
"I need money to transition" is, it turns out, a surprisingly solid reason to become an adventurer. So is "I think I legitimately hate myself, but I'm sure that I hate the imperial culture I was born into even more."

“Application: Terry Lushek”
Starfinder Society
SF 601 Rev 2-56

1. Name: Terry Lushek

2. Race: Human
Instruction: Recruitment waiver required for non Android, Human, Kasatha, Lashunta, Shirren, Vesk or Ysoki races.

3. Alignment: Lawful Neutral

left-aligned image
4. Appearance: A youthful looking human male with the typical features of an Azlanti human; has a blonde crewcut and blue eyes. He has spray-painted the green out of his standard-issue Azlanti armor and rifle; now they're a jet black.

Instruction: Recruiting staff with access to photography equipment should provide a single image; otherwise, a brief description that would provide positive identification of the application upon their arrival to Absalom Station is required.

5. Theme: Mercenary

6. Class: Soldier

7. Background Check:
Instruction: The applicant must describe the significant highlights of their background in a brief 250-500 word summary. Once furnished, recruitment staff shall make a best effort attempt to validate what was provided. Regulation 2112:20:33 preventing acceptance of applicants with pending charges, outstanding warrants, undergoing active proceedings, or with a bounty on their head. Recruitment staff are reminded that accepting bribes by applicants attempting to conceal, or otherwise evade the restrictions if 2112:20:33 is strictly forbidden, and punishable by the Starfinder Society taking a 70% cut.

Terry was one of the most promising recruits in the Azlanti Star Empire's military, one of his class' best sharpshooters and enrolled on the fast track towards becoming a power armor pilot for the Aeon Guard. However, fate had other things in mind, in the form of another recruit: Leif Armiger, a fellow recruit who had a reputation for asking difficult questions and whom Terry had grown fond of.

Terry found himself unable to fully articulate to Leif why androids were meant to be treated differently than human beings, or why they were being sent to "pacify" pre-Drift cultures that posed no real threat, or why slavery should be legal, or many of the other questions he'd not thought to ask his whole life. In particular, learning the shirren language - and in turn, about its expanded and untraditional approach to gender - had him questioning his own gender identity, which was still a scandalous notion due to codified notions of gender roles and dynamics.

But none of this was enough to fully get Terry to break with the military until the JK-727 Incident, where Leif was killed by, of all things, friendly fire, and the brass in the military covered it up and disregarded Terry's eyewitness testimony. Terry went AWOL and now works as a mercenary, trying to get as far from the Azlanti - in body, mind and soul - as he can.

8. Meritorious Conduct:

During the aforementioned JK-727 Incident, Terry, Leif, and half a dozen other troops performed admirably under fire when sent to attack a shirren ship that had crashed on JK-727 "on suspicion that they may revert to Swarm behavior." Surprising everyone, the shirren turned out to be vesk who were heavily armed, but Terry held the line with expert fire and tactics, and only one soldier died - it was Leif, and it was due to friendly fire. The vesk, despite having lost half a dozen troops, hailed Terry as an honorable soldier before their retreat - meanwhile, his own side covered up the death of the person he cared about more than anyone else.

9. Motivation:
Instruction: The applicant shall provide a brief (3-5 sentences) paragraph describing their long-term motivations and how joining the Starfinders furthers that goal.

Terry is fully disillusioned with the Azlanti Star Empire and wants to be a better person, but doesn't fully know how; he knows he has deeply internalized biases against other sentients and isn't always sure how to act around them, so he defaults to politeness and genuine curiosity. The Starfinders seem like an ideal way to learn about other sentients. In addition, Terry is fully convinced he's trans and part of the motivation for joining the Starfinders is that they might pay enough for the transition serum he needs (he hasn't picked out a new name yet or started insisting on female pronouns, but it's coming) as well as any other transhuman enhancements he might want (he isn't fully attached to being human any more and is in fact somewhat ashamed of it.)

Last edited by Charlotte; 07-07-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax - Are you still considering applying?

Aria - Is your app still a WIP or is it ready?