RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29633
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Pathfinder

Brawler Questions:

Quote:
Martial Flexibility (Ex): A brawler can take a move action to gain the benefit of a combat feat she doesn't possess.
For Outplay, is a brawler limited to feats in the Core Rule Book and Advanced Class Guide?

All player/characters are limited to the CRB +1 book. Assuming you are a brawler that limits you to the CRB and the ACG.

Quote:
AC Bonus (Ex): At 4th level, when a brawler wears light armor or no armor, she gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC and CMD. This bonus increases by 1 at 9th, 13th, and 18th levels.

These bonuses to AC apply against touch attacks. She loses these bonuses while immobilized or helpless, wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying a medium or heavy load.
It used to be that brawlers weren't proficient with shields, but now they are. Does a brawler lose the above armor bonus if carrying a shield? As written, I would argue someone with a shield would also get the above AC bonus as long as their load is light, but making assumptions about Pathfinder tends to be a bad idea.

In the nine page errata you'd think they'd have covered everything but no. While I don't think they should get the bonus that is irrelevant, RAW the bonus stands even with a shield or even two.

Jabbing Style and Jabbing Master Feats:

Quote:
Jabbing Style: Benefit: When you hit a target with an unarmed strike and you have hit that target with an unarmed strike previously that round, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage to that target.
Quote:
Jabbing Master: Benefit: While using Jabbing Style, the extra damage you deal when you hit a single target with two unarmed strikes increases to 2d6, and the extra damage when you hit a single target with three or more unarmed strikes increases to 4d6.
To clarify (because the whole of the internet seems unsure), if I have I'm aware there are prerequisite feats needed to get Jabbing Master.both of these feats, does this mean, as stated here,

First hit of round: regular unarmed damage +0
Second hit of round: regular unarmed damage +2d6
Third hit of round: regular unarmed damage +4d6
Each additional hit in a single round: regular unarmed damage +4d6

or does it mean something else? If it means something else, can you fill in the question marks below?

First hit of round: regular unarmed damage +0
Second hit of round: regular unarmed damage +?
Third hit of round: regular unarmed damage +?
Each additional hit in a single round: regular unarmed damage +?

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. However you should check the BAB req for Jab Master.

Last edited by wodine; 06-20-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7669
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
In regards to the duration of magic spells this year, will it follow the same structure as the labyrinth last year? As in losing a minute between rooms in addition to 1 round of duration per day of posting? I'm not sure if it's been left ambiguous on purpose or if that detail just wasn't mentioned yet.

Rest and spell duration rules will be similar to previous years of Outplay.

Last edited by wodine; 06-21-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29633
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytterbium View Post
Pathfinder

Jabbing Master Feat Follow-Up:

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. However you should check the BAB req for Jab Master.
The feat says (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Jabbing Master (Combat)

Your quick punches become even more lethal.

Prerequisites: Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Jabbing Dancer, Jabbing Style, Mobility, Power Attack; base attack bonus +12, brawler level 8th, or monk level 8th.

Benefit: While you use Jabbing Style, the extra damage you deal when you hit a single target with two unarmed strikes increases to 2d6, and the extra damage when you hit a single target with three or more unarmed strikes increases to 4d6.
The semicolon immediately prior to the bolded text makes me think I only need to fulfill one of: BAB +12, monk 8, or brawler 8. Yes? No?

Yeah it does. It's hard to see the distinction in the book.

Also, LOL at "Unfortunately."

Last edited by wodine; 06-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Niblooey Niblooey
If chose Ultimate Equipment as my +1 book, can I get a Rime Metamagic Rod, which mimicks the Rime Spell metamagic feat from Ultimate Magic, even if I can't get access to the latter?

No, while the specific costs are given the specific effects are not. It would be unfair to let certain items utilize multiple books while others are totally restricted.

Last edited by wodine; 06-21-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Now that’s an interesting question, cause normally you can’t use abilities and options not presented in your chosen books...but it’s a specific item in the book so you should be able to use it. I’m getting shades of the short story in “I, Robot” with the mind reading robot.

I’m betting it’s a no like last year and using archetypes that drew abilities from other books. It’s an edge case but seems pretty clear based on past rulings that it won’t be allowed.

Red words go here.

Last edited by wodine; 06-21-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8165
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
I believe the main contention was really whether the limited documents could be sufficient to describe all abilities and equipment for the DM to make a ruling.

In the case of archetypes and abilities, it would often say "gains x ability" without providing an actual usable description. Ultimate Equipment, by contrast, provides a full description of functionality for the metamagic rod and then adds "as though using the Rime Spell feat", so it can be referenced without ever having access to Ultimate Magic, from which it was derived.

I'd guess that it would be allowed on that basis.

Red things happened.
{As Featured in Explosive Runes #24!}
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge."

Last edited by wodine; 06-21-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:33 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Actually having just looked over the UE metamagic rods, they mostly don’t contain all the specifics necessary. Many just say the as the feat bit, but even some that give more leave out key details. Dazing Spell is a perfect example. The UE entry says you cast spells that daze monsters, while dazing spell itself says they have to take damage and tells how many rounds, and how saves work.

And last year even if the ability was spelled out even better than those rods, it was not allowed if it referenced another book. So since this is more vague it doesn’t fit the consistency of the rules as laid out to allow it. But hey, neither of us are judges, so we shall see what they say.

Just making it easier to see that these aren't new questions.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8165
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Hmmm... good point. I didn't check for consistency across the other metamagic rods.

*Whistling noises.*
{As Featured in Explosive Runes #24!}
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge."

Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
So if we potentially lose a minute duration off spells passing between rooms, for that mean a prepared caster with an open slot could prepare a minute’s worth of spells moving between rooms?

Transitions are not part of play between scenes.

Last edited by wodine; 06-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM
How could you forget?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3213
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
5e: To be perfectly clear, we can only buy magic items from the DMG or Xanathar's Guide? No other published source?

You may buy your magic items from the DMG, and from your +1 rulebook. The +1 rulebook must be a book of rules published by the Wizards of the Coast. So no 3rd party rulebooks. And no taking content from WotC campaign books (I know there are magic items in Storm Kings Thunder and Out of the Abyss, etc - those are not allowed unless they are published in a rulebook). It's possible there's a magic item in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (or whatever) that I'm forgetting, in which case, that would be allowed, if that's your +1 rulebook. But mostly, yes, I believe the +1 rule means you're getting magic items from either the DMG or Xanthar's.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-22-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1348
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
So, time for me to come and ask the silly question: Do we get to pick height and weight, or do we have to roll for them? I know certain DMs actually track weight for things like pressure plates, so it may come up.

You can pick

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-27-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13066
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Quick question for clarity:

Acquiring new spells, if we want to purchase a spell to learn we simply spend the starting gold and make a roll in the app to learn it and if good we can start outplay with it in our book and memorized or available?

Per the Errata: No item may be used prior to the start of the game. For example, if you wish to copy a scroll into your spellbook you must follow the normal rules to do so after play has been initiated.

Last edited by wodine; 06-27-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7669
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
I was looking over my sheet again and noticed that I have several items which I would expend fully in one use and that there was a limit of "One Use" items of up to 8; which I have definitely gone over. So even though I am pretty sure I know the answer I just wanted to double check that everything I list as one use matches up with the judges as well.

Things like:
Alchemical items (Alchemist Fire, Antitoxin...etc)
Elixirs
Potions
Scrolls
Do Sunrods count as one use? I mean, torches wouldn't...right?

Again, I fairly certain I know the answer, just looking for confirmation; and hoping I'm wrong.

I believe the intention was one use magical items, not mundane ones (such as alchemist fire and sunrods)

Last edited by wodine; 06-28-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:49 PM
Life
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10963
Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio
Howdy all! Can't wait to see how this goes!

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-27-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:06 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Niblooey Niblooey
For Pathfinder: Do items like magic scrolls and wands always have to be at their minimum caster level? A scroll of Summon Monster I always lasts 1 round, no more no less?

Per FAQ: As long as it does not violate any of the other rules, then yes items may be purchased at a higher caster level. Be sure to denote this clearly for the judges.

Last edited by wodine; 06-28-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Closed Thread