RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2529
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
Sorry to crush the dream @Babydoll Mikey but I’ve already settled on dwarf XD
Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll Miley View Post
Like,.. I know I'm going to apply for this game like all the other 3.5e meta-heads,... so I might as well do it.

Can we use DnD website alternate class features and PrCs? (Like psionic rogue as an example)

Also, I think EVERYONE should apply with a gnome,.. because reasons!
Some of the web content is better thought-out than others, but I don't see any reason to object to psychic rogue.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8582
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Dwarfs are just tall gnomes.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8582
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
So on the note of templates I got a question, what is your thought on a ghost or ghoul template and the character being a victim seeking revenge?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
So on the note of templates I got a question, what is your thought on a ghost or ghoul template and the character being a victim seeking revenge?
Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I'd have a ghoul player. A member of my erstwhile playgroup had a bizarre obsession with ghoul paladins... Terrible, terrible, short-lived ghoul paladins.

You would need to give some consideration into why you'd have gotten hired by the LN/LG Tosker, and how you'll interact with civilized society. And how you eat, for that matter. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Much of the same applies to ghost, although some modicum of caution is probably warranted given the weirdness you can accomplish with the ghost template. And permanent incorporeality in general.

More broadly, there's not a whole lot I'm likely to absolutely discount out of hand. Anthropomorphic bats, probably. Likely anyone with the mineral warrior template. But an interesting build plan and compelling characterization can sell me on a good bit of strangeness.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Ravenclaw Chaser

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 719
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
More broadly, there's not a whole lot I'm likely to absolutely discount out of hand. Anthropomorphic bats, probably. Likely anyone with the mineral warrior template. But an interesting build plan and compelling characterization can sell me on a good bit of strangeness.
In that case, expect me to file a Pixie. No Irresistable Dance, so I'll have two levels in ... something.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Older than it Looks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 137
Babydoll Miley Babydoll Miley
Quote:
Some of the web content is better thought-out than others, but I don't see any reason to object to psychic rogue.
Yay! Consider this my placeholder for my character then! Gnome Power!

As JTrickster said, it's taking some time to roll up a character, but the gnome psychic rogue/blade bravo (aka giant slayer) is in progress.

Last edited by Babydoll Miley; 06-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:03 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Well, the opening teaser of the game really seems fun and interesting!

But I had a question about your class restrictions.. Would Sorderer/Druid/Wizard etc be fine if they simply didn't have enough levels in the class for those high level spells? Or... if somehow they were just restricted from getting spells above 6th level?

And also, what would you think about a pixie PC? Perhaps a little too over the top?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 AM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2573
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
Quote:
Broadly speaking, I have no problem with the late-in-life 3.5 classes. I would rather have a shadowcaster, a dragon shaman, or even a Tome of Battle class than early-in-life choices like hexblades or samurai because I would like a campaign where the characters can actually do things.
Does this mean that you are open to the shadowcaster class? I know it gets 9th level abilities, but I couldn't tell if this meant they were excepted due to their handicaps, or lack of utility.

Great to see a 3.5 game feature some of the runner-up classes. Certainly a lot of interesting options.

Dim the Drowned|Telephus Lorre
Tribulations of the Stag

Last edited by Grenadier; 06-07-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 549
Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187
Quote:
As far as I know, this one is only from Dragon #335, so wouldn't be available (although there are quite a few other ways to build conceptually similar things).
Honestly its the aspect of not having to be limited by lawful alignment especially if playing races who by nature are not lawful. So one could still play a monk but be truer to the race they want to play. It's kinda like playing a good necromancer. If the person is not harming people with the magic but instead raising those that have died to be an everlasting guard, or untiring labor force, or simply communing with the dead to allow loved ones find closure or solve murders. I just feel some of the alignment restrictions are not needed. Don't get me wrong there are some classes that clearly should be alignment locked but most of the time this would fall on PrCs.

Last edited by Reaper22187; 06-07-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FAQ'ed the various and sundry race questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowNinjaPrincess View Post
But I had a question about your class restrictions.. Would Sorderer/Druid/Wizard etc be fine if they simply didn't have enough levels in the class for those high level spells? Or... if somehow they were just restricted from getting spells above 6th level?
Nope. The spell acquisition isn't the only reason the primary casting classes are disallowed. There's ... long-term plot reasons, too. So: zero levels permitted in any of those classes, even if you're not using them for Real Ultimate Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper22187 View Post
Honestly its the aspect of not having to be limited by lawful alignment especially if playing races who by nature are not lawful. So one could still play a monk but be truer to the race they want to play. It's kinda like playing a good necromancer. If the person is not harming people with the magic but instead raising those that have died to be an everlasting guard, or untiring labor force, or simply communing with the dead to allow loved ones find closure or solve murders. I just feel some of the alignment restrictions are not needed. Don't get me wrong there are some classes that clearly should be alignment locked but most of the time this would fall on PrCs.
Except that there's no printed mechanical restriction on good necromancers. Don't get me wrong, I get where you're going here. I'm sure we could fill a lot of space philosophizing about the D&D alignment system in general and the relative advantages and drawbacks of alignment-locked base classes in particular.

But for this game, the alignment restrictions on barbarian, bard, battle dancer, hexblade, jester, monk, mountebank, samurai, the incarnum classes, and whatever else I've forgotten has them still stand. I think there are enough ways to build most concepts in 3.5 that it's possible to work around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
Does this mean that you are open to the shadowcaster class? I know it gets 9th level abilities, but I couldn't tell if this meant they were excepted due to their handicaps, or lack of utility.
Shadowcaster is far enough removed from normal spellcasting that I'm inclined to treat it like the ToB initiator classes. In other words, it's permitted, but exercise some caution.

In particular, I'd like to discourage extreme optimization of the Dark Reflections path. Shadow evocation/shadow conjuration/shades is on my short list of "stuff that probably needs adjustment if a PC ends up with access to it". Not banning it, just saying...
Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3467
Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar
Are Dragonfire Adept and Warlock acceptable even though they get high level invocations that emulate spells?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
Are Dragonfire Adept and Warlock acceptable even though they get high level invocations that emulate spells?
Yes.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1113
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Their “high level” effects cap out at 6. Which is what I was counting on. Warlocks power is less it’s spellpower and more it’s stamina. That and it’s the second best crafter in 3.5
Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 264
Mason Mason Mason
Hallelujah, a 3.5 game! I've been waiting to find one for a while now.

Since casters and warlocks are off the table or already in the works, I'll be working on an Elf Duskblade. If there are no sneaky types, I can multiclass with a Rogue and still keep my core idea intact. I tend to modify my concepts to work into a party better.

Can I assume that we are going to be on our own through the use of magic items, since there are not going to be any healers?