RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
As noted in the initial advertisement, applications close at 11:59 PM CDT on Sunday. Please don't edit any application after that time, but feel free to apply (if you haven't) or make adjustments (if you have) up until that point.

However, I have a family event planned this weekend, and am unlikely to be particularly active. So if you have any questions, today is probably a good time.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2960
Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers
Hello Antipode,

Wondering if you could apply weapon finesse feat to Unarmed Strike? Considering adding a level of Monk to my character...
Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
Wondering if you could apply weapon finesse feat to Unarmed Strike? Considering adding a level of Monk to my character...
Yes. Unarmed strikes may have deeply weird rules in edge cases, but they're absolutely considered light weapons, and so qualify for Weapon Finesse.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers
Yes doing some reading on unarmed strikes and two weapon fighting has confused me deeply.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Yes doing some reading on unarmed strikes and two weapon fighting has confused me deeply.
Yeah... that way does lie madness. The PHB says that "there is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed". The official 3.5 FAQ didn't exactly do a good job of clarifying this, by saying in part that a monk "can use an unarmed strike as an offhand weapon", even stacking TWF with flurry. But then it also goes on to require attacks with an "off-hand weapon" which the monk "wields" ... which doesn't seem like unarmed strikes would be included.

If you really want to go this route, let me know, and I'll figure out the most parsimonious way to cut this particular Gordian knot.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
Yeah... that way does lie madness. The PHB says that "there is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed". The official 3.5 FAQ didn't exactly do a good job of clarifying this, by saying in part that a monk "can use an unarmed strike as an offhand weapon", even stacking TWF with flurry. But then it also goes on to require attacks with an "off-hand weapon" which the monk "wields" ... which doesn't seem like unarmed strikes would be included.

If you really want to go this route, let me know, and I'll figure out the most parsimonious way to cut this particular Gordian knot.
I do believe I am going this route. It makes for an interesting character with lots of ...Pretty excited to get to play her actually.

Fingers crossed.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I do believe I am going this route. It makes for an interesting character with lots of ...Pretty excited to get to play her actually.

Fingers crossed.
Okay. Here's how I think I'll be resolving this. What a mess:

You can use an unarmed strike as part of TWF. However, regardless of how many fists, heads, knees, elbows, or other bodily striking surfaces you possess, you have a singular "unarmed strike". Thus, you cannot "dual-wield" unarmed strike + unarmed strike.

Any weapon that you use during a flurry of blows cannot be used as the off-hand attack. So, as per the FAQ, if you are dual-wielding sais (a monk weapon), you can:
  • Flurry entirely with one sai, and make an offhand attack with the other.
  • Flurry entirely with one sai, and use an unarmed strike as the off-hand attack.
  • Use both sais for attacks during the flurry, and make an unarmed strike as the off-hand attack.
  • Using TWF and flurry of blows stacks the penalties. You can miss monsters even more gloriously by including Snap Kick (Tome of Battle) as well.
  • Delete the following text from the monk Unarmed Strike ability: "A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes." If you use an unarmed strike as the offhand attack in conjunction with TWF, it follows the normal rules for determining offhand damage.
You may not use both sais during the flurry and then also use one of the sais as an off-hand attack. You may not use unarmed strike as both the primary and offhand attack in a TWF sequence, with or without flurry of blows.

TL;DR: You need a non-unarmed strike weapon to use unarmed strikes as part of a TWF profile.

While I'm issuing edicts regarding unarmed combat:
  • Tentatively, I'm also going to say that Improved Natural Attack cannot be applied to unarmed strikes; I have rules-based reasons for this determination, but that's long and boring. Ask me if you're really interested. Meanwhile, players interested in taking a feat to increase their unarmed strike damage should instead consider Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle).
  • The 3.0 Circle Kick (Sword and Fist) feat is officially replaced by Roundabout Kick (Complete Warrior).
Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 264
Mason Mason Mason
Application is complete here

I have always used the possession's weight column on the character sheet for the cost of items during the build process. Would you like this removed and replaced with the weight of the items or left up to check the accuracy of the purchases?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Cynical Idealist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 713
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
My application should be complete at this point.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 572
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
I’m gonna assume I’m complete, I probably forgot something though.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8328
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Completion is completed completely.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Na’at Is as completed as I will be able to get her. I believe I need a little fine tuning to her sheet after adding that monk level bit I got called into work and I am running out of time
Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2432
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
I think that my application is complete as well.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 983
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
I'm calling complete on mine
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Barring someone jumping in with a completed character in the next 9 minutes, submissions are officially closed. I have some hard work to do selecting this party, but I'll try to get through the applications as quickly as reasonable over the next day or three.

Regardless of who is selected, I'd like to thank everyone who applied. It's always good to see folks still interested in and excited by 3.5 and the Forgotten Realms.