Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
Are vampires available as a Race? They are in the Innistrad book, but it seems like it would be hard to swing one given your set up so far? Especially if they actually wanted to use their blood drain power.

I don't believe that the Vampires were particularly intended for Player Use in campaigns such as this one. For now, the only available races are the Human Variants presents towards the beginning of the book.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
I don't believe that the Vampires were particularly intended for Player Use in campaigns such as this one. For now, the only available races are the Human Variants presents towards the beginning of the book.
You are right, I was thinking of the ones in the Zendikar book, not Innistrad, my bad.

Need to look at my concepts. May just do a Fighter, ideally mounted.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 84
calledThird
@Starspawn: In looking at the Innistrad book there's a recommendation on Sorcerer to use the Divine Soul bloodline. Is there any chance of that being available here?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7683
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
“Nicholas Lancaster-Galan"
left-aligned image
Nicholas Lancaster-Galan
Name: Nicholas Lancaster-Galan
Race: Nephalian Human
Hair: Black and Silver
Eyes: Blue
Wt: 200 lbs Ht: 6'1”
Sex: Male
Class: Wizard (Conjuration)
Alignment: Good
Appearance: Nicholas comes from wealthy stock and fine breeding, and while he’s chosen common clothing to draw less attention to himself, he keeps it as immaculate as possible during his research and fieldwork. Nicholas is not the type to require niceties. He will enjoy them, yes, but if it requires that he dress less fine to save some funds, or dress down to make those around him feel more comfortable, he has always been very conscious of others, especially those not from wealthy or noble stock. Perhaps the thing most unusual about Nicholas is the tattoos he’s given himself on his body. Further along his arms, at least visible when his sleeves are rolled up, people would notice sweeping, and jagged designs in blue-ink across his skin. Few would be able to notice it, but they are in fact arcane sigils he’s come across in his research. If he’s dressed in fine clothes, few would be able to see them, but when his sleeves are rolled up, they expose patterns along his forearms in an intricate, and nearly indiscernible fashion. Few have witnessed them, but they are a point of pride for Nicholas, and something he tries to have added to whenever feasible.

Unlike many who he grew up within his social circles, Nicholas finds “common” people far more enjoyable to be around than his “peers”, and his “peers” find him incredibly confusing for feeling so. Still, the trappings of a fine education and socialization are not something he easily shakes off. While he is conscious of how others feel for the most part, a duck is still a duck, and speaking properly, conducting yourself with etiquette that may seem out of place for many common folk, is something Nicholas adheres to at all times.

Background: Noble
Personality Traits: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
Ideal: Noble Obligation. It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me. (Good)
Bond: The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.
Flaw: By my words and actions, I often bring shame to my family.

History

Nicholas is the heir of House Galan’s cousins in Nephalia, the Lancaster-Galan family. Hailing from Havengul, Nicholas always took a keen interest in the theories of arcane research, showing particular aptitude for a branch of magic which the traditional Archmages never knew what to do with his particular… interests. It wasn’t heretical, per se, but his affinity for conjuration magic was odd for many of the holy spellcasters who did not know what to do with the young child. Nor where he should fit in the hierarchy.

Whenever someone doesn’t quite… fit the mold, the Church decides they’re best suited as wandering investigators. Some of the activities of the Inquisition left a bad taste in Nicholas’ mouth, but he heard of a particular sect, the Knight-Inquisitor of Saint Raban. While he may not fit the… traditional form of this sect, another pair of boots on the ground rooting out supernatural mysteries across the land was not to be overlooked.

For Nicholas was particularly motivated in his research. His younger sister, Miara, had gone missing when Nicholas was only 23, and she was 18. It was not something you brush off, not on this plane. Nicholas’ inquisitive nature led him to discover that she had run off with a Vampire Noble, a visitor to the Stromkirk line from afar. The trail went cold after a time, and NIcholas was forced to consider a new approach to finding his sister, and hopefully saving her from whatever hedonistic purpose the vampire had in store.

Thraben was his destination. The Church’s Library was the greatest repository of knowledge humankind had on the nefarious creatures of the plane, and Nicholas was intent on carrying out his duties as an Inquisitor, all the while searching for clues about where his sister may have been taken, and how to grow in his own powers to face this threat. No, his research wasn’t heretical… but there were powers that did not fit within the scope of the established Archmage tutelage… and Nicholas just didn’t really care if it didn’t.

ContactsMiara Lancaster-Galan: Nicholas’ younger sister by 5 years. She was taken when she was 18 by a vampire of unknown lineage, but a noble from all description. For what purpose, Nicholas is unsure, but her status as a cousin House to House Galan does not buy much for the Church, especially as she’s not a direct heir. Humans go missing every day in Innistrad, but Nicholas refuses to let this woman disappear from memory. Definitely not his.

Maul: Something of a rival amongst the Knight-Inquisitors, Maul is a human paladin who thinks Nicholas shouldn’t be anywhere near the order, or doing the work he’s doing. Highly suspicious of the man, he hasn’t been able to do anything against Nicholas, as the nobleman has proven his worth and intellect to the order. But he’s waiting for the slightest misstep.

Archmage Kinnell: While there is no Archmage who officially tutors Nicholas, Kinnell appreciates the natural aptitude Nicholas has for the arcane arts, and advises him as best he can on theories, and moral responsibilities for his powers. He has also been a valuable resource in researching the Vampiric Lines that could help Nicholas track down Miara’s abductor… and perhaps rid the world of another parasite to the human race.

RPG Experience
I started D&D in 4e with some friends, and I’ve been playing 5e in PbP format only (hard to meet regularly in a group with my job). I’ve been playing it for… 7 or 8 years now?

Roleplay Samples: Legends of the Forgotten Earth | Tyranny of Dragons | The Curse of Strahd

Last edited by MontageManiac; 06-16-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Alright, I believe my app is complete. Please let me know if there's anything else you need from me!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3487
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
This is awesome. I will lurk, but can't put myself into any more games at the moment, unluckily.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@calledTheThird Sorry, no! I'm limiting options on Sorcerer to the Player's Handbook. If you're looking to play a divine-inspired character, something alongside a Hieromancer, there are options in the form of Clerics. On the other hand, if you're adamant about playing a Sorcerer, you can play a Wild Magic Sorcerer and chock up the whole divine-blooded idea to flair and flavor. Alternatively, playing with a White Dragon Bloodline would do the trick if you're going for a white-aligned sorcerer in general and don't mind going draconic. Despite the emnity of White Dragons in the Faerun lore, in MTG being a white dragon would be more along the lines of being a white-aligned dragon, giving them the sort of "Divine force of good" flavor you might be going for.

@MontageManiac

Yup, you're all good to go! One nitpick I have about your application though is the use of Ral Zalek's picture, who is an actual Planeswalker from the MTG lore who may or may not be encountered on Innistrad. If you could find something else that fits your character, that would be great.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@MontageManiac
One other comment I have is that, after looking over the sheet you presented, I did notice certain spells from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. While I love the book, this game uses only PhB, DMG, and MM as its primary sources, so unfortunately no XGTE
Not a big deal, but please do swap them out.

Edit: some spells from Elemental Evil, too!

Last edited by Starspawn; 06-13-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 84
calledThird
@starspawn Thanks for the quick clarification. I think I'll head another direction. I was on the fence and I think I got intimidated by the number of from line characters in the thread at the moment. I'm probably going to build a character off of one of my favorite cards from that era... I'll update this post in a bit with the application.

Last edited by calledThird; 06-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:27 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1645
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posting interest. I should be able to get it in before the day is out.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
@Starspawn: Whoopsies! Let me hunt those down and eliminate them!

EDIT: I believe that has been fixed now. Let me know if those work or if I missed something!

Last edited by MontageManiac; 06-13-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1359
Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor
Posting interest! I'm about as swamped as I can be for the next week and change, but I'll try to get in an app when the opportunity exists. If you get a bunch of apps and decide to cut the date short, then I totally get it and no worries!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 635
Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl
EDIT - Withdrawing my application. I think I’ve reached my sweet-spot in number of simultaneous games. This looks awesome though. Hope everyone enjoys!

”Distilling is beautiful. First of all, because it is a slow, philosophic, and silent occupation, which keeps you busy but gives you time to think of other things, somewhat like riding a bike.” -Primo Levi, The Periodic Table

Last edited by Simandl; 06-23-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 281
Perdition Perdition Perdition
@Starspawn I think I'm ready for review.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:32 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3818
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Updated Josua's backstory, didn't get too into shortcomings, but fleshed out the story of that encounter in much more detail. Curious what you think!

Last edited by HughtheHand; 06-14-2019 at 02:33 AM.