RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED: GOOD LUCK!

Player NameCharacter NameClassRaceStart SeasonApplication Status
TomplumPrelgogWizardHoblgoblinWinterWithdrawn
GualdarramaVanorClericDwarfWinterComplete
penbeast0DrusillaWarlockHumanAutumnComplete
teotsalKarghBarbarianHumanSummerComplete
DreamerRinnSorcerorTabaxiAutumnComplete
Trebl83Dae'RonRogueWood ElfSpringComplete
HundurRog-naragMysticHobgoblinWinterComplete
calledThirdChurlBarbarianHumanFallComplete
RetryAlmireBardTieflingWinterComplete
VaultDwellerWilmornRogueHalf ElfAutumnComplete
SilentRainReeseRogueHumanWinterComplete
DraiddenDvanarWizardDwarfSummerComplete
OakieSylvieDruidGnomeAutumnComplete
ElanirAlmarinPaladinHumanWinterComplete
HoutokuKorynRogueHalf-ElfWinterComplete
KhamLucDeamyssMysticHumanSummerComplete
gothaGreyMonkWood ElfAutumnComplete
Azure NokoriSaltyClericHumanSummerComplete
DialPforPicklesKestrel F.WizardHumanSummerComplete
FatherDondoKestrelWarlockW.H. ShifterAutumnComplete
RunetideValoricRangerDwarfSpringComplete
MemoriastSlippyFighterHalf-ElfSummerComplete

Game NameWaterdeep: Dragon Heist
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeForgotten Realms Treasure Hunt
FlavourUrban; Sleuthing; Published Adventure
Plot SummaryA quiet day at the Yawning Portal inn quickly turns into a crazy adventure when the party gets a request from a famous author to track down a missing friend. But even this simple request will find the party embroiled in intrigue surrounding the missing 500,000 Gold Pieces that went missing as soon as the previous Open Lord of Waterdeep was voted out of office...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist takes place entirely within Waterdeep, the largest city on the Sword Coast. 500,000 gold pieces have gone missing from the city's accounts. It seems no one knows where it is, but many groups are seeking to find it. The player characters get thrown into the midst of power-plots, secret societies, gang wars, and the machinations of wizards in an attempt to find the gold before the bad guys do. Or maybe before the good guys do...

Nitty GrittyNEW DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until 7/1. Looking for 4-6 players. Starting at 1st level, using Milestone experience as the story progresses. You don't need to have a full character sheet created until after your application has been accepted.

Stats will be determined by Dice Roll (4d6 drop lowest) or standard PHB point buy. Dice rollers are allowed one set of rerolls but must keep the second results. Use this Dice Roller thread for now.

Open to all races/classes/variants in published materials. Unearthed Arcana allowed, but please state which UA publication it comes from. No 3rd party.

Revised Ranger encouraged over PHB Ranger, but not required.
Please use Volo's Aasimar over DMG Aasimar.
If you play a monstrous race (like Lizardman or Goblin) be prepared to face the prejudice of NPCs.

I use a hidden alignment scoring system of my own make to track alignment changes. I'll explain the rules behind it once the game starts.

A few hints to help you succeed:
1. Kenku are allowed, but I kind of hate them as a PC. Personal peeve. Not to say an interesting Kenku wouldn't be accepted, but it's gonna be a hurdle.

2. The campaign assumes the characters are familiar with one another and a member of the local community. While I don't expect you to collaborate with other applicants when creating your character, there will be some discussion after applications close as to how each of you know each other and why you're teamed up together. It would be a bit clumsy to try it before we know the final crew.

3. Applications will be prioritized based on:
A. Estimation of RP quality
B. Estimation of fitting with other players/characters
C. Filling metagame roles within the party

Application Requirements
Character Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Background:
2 Personality Traits:
Ideal:
2 Bonds: One personal (like a debt, lover, family, or goal), one to the City of Waterdeep itself (why are you here and what is keeping you here?)
Flaw:
Preferred Starting Season: Summer, Winter, Spring, Autumn (it changes the adventure a little)
Acquaintance: Pick a friendly face from Waterdeep to have a connection with. You may simply state your connection, or explain your connection to them. Pick one person from this legally shared PDF handout from Dragon+. But if that link doesn't work for you, try this one. It's the same handout.

Secret Writing Sample: Tell me, in secret tags, how your character started off on their current adventuring profession. It should be in story format, and relatively short. One or two scenes. It doesn't have to be novel quality writing, I am more looking for the thought and care put into character motivations and background.

About Jab BurrwalkyA little about my experience: I have been playing RPGs for a few years now, I have DM'd about five adventures, though none on RPGX. I have made a few mistakes and learned from them, but I'll probably make more, and I don't mind if others do too as long as we all agree to laugh them off and move on.

PM or post with questions.

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; 07-01-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8225
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Prelgog of the Sunken Tower

Race: Hobgoblin

Class: Wizard

Alignment: Neutral

Season of the Year: Winter

Appearance: Shorter and leaner than most hobgoblins, Prelgog was the runt of his clan. His skin is more brown than red and he keeps his hair shaved on the sides and pulled back from the front into a short ponytail in the back. He is dressed in mismatched skins, mostly fox and never wears armor of any kind. He wields a very un-hobgoblin like rapier that has a small blue opal in the hilt, a gift from his former master, The Wizard of the Sunken Tower.

Personality Trait 1: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.

Personality Trait 2: I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.

Ideal: I help the people who help me — that's what keeps us alive.

Bond 1: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.

Bond 2: I am all that remains of my benefactor's legacy. He has set me up in Waterdeep to better myself and I will not let his memory down.

Flaw: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.

Have you played Dragon Heist: No.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Additional info
Non-Good aligned characters are allowed and the campaign has some nice side-stuff for evil characters, but (and I know most of you know this already) give some thought as to how you might work with a group that is generally tasked with good-aligned goals.

Posting frequency: 1/day, with some laxity on weekends. Can be adjusted up or down depending on the group's enthusiasm after the game gets rolling.

The "Friendly Faces" link keeps failing people so here is an embedded image of the handout.

A note on Psionics
I've never used them or played alongside them before. I am more than happy to learn the rules for them, but if there is a psionic in the party, expect psionic enemies to show up as a foil as well.

A note on Technology
Technology will be Forgotten Realms standard: that eternal, never-changing almost-gaslight-era. A few enemies do have guns, so simple, primitive firearms will be allowed, but it will be difficult to find replacement gunpowder and ammo.

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; 06-23-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama
right-aligned image
Name: Vandálfr "Vanor" of clan Blackhammer
Race: Dwarf, Hill
Class: Cleric of Kelemvor (Death Domain)
Background: Clan Crafter
Alignment: LN
Season of the Year: Winter
Have you played Dragon Heist?: No

Appearance:

Backstory:

Role Play Sample:

Personality Trait 1: I am tolerant of other non-evil faiths and respect the worship of other non-evil gods.

Personality Trait 2: Anyone can profess anything therefore I judge not by their fancy words but by their actions.

Ideal: Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions, I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.

Bond 1: Blood is thicker than water. I still visit/help out my Da in the Trade's Ward.

Bond 2: I will do anything to protect the temple where I have served here in Waterdeep for I owe them a debt of gratitude for taking me in during my time of grief.

Flaw: My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.

Acquaintance: Though I have noticed Ubaya Uday, I have yet to approach her to talk about the gods. I usually spend my time conversing with Jalester Silvermane when I'm in the Yawning Portal trying to get the pulse of the city. Other than visiting my Da, I've spent the last decade in the temple of Kelemvor, so have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-27-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8225
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
I'm going to have to withdraw my application. 1/day posting rate is too fast for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplum View Post
I'm going to have to withdraw my application. 1/day posting rate is too fast for me.
Really sorry to hear that. Thanks for the interest though!
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 811
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Druzilla Javotte
Class: Warlock https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
right-aligned image

Race: Variant Human
Source: The Evil Stepsister from Cinderella/Ahsenputtel
Alignment: LE (She doesn't want to change the system, she wants to use it for revenge and power)
Season: Fall, the time when the overheated growth of summer starts to die and fail. That and I like the color palette.

Personality Trait: I've enjoyed an upbringing of privilege and luxury. Rough living grates on me.
Personality Trait: I can get bitter if I'm not the center of attention.
Ideal: If I can gain more power, no one will be able to take advantage of me again.
Bond: My mother, my sister, and I are owed. One day I'll reclaim our lands and title from the witch who stole them from me.
Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the Morrigan, who took pity on me in my blindness and misery and gave me back a chance at life and power. Now she has sent me to Waterdeep to seek something she wants, though she has not yet told me what.
Flaw: I often hear veiled insults in words addressed to me and I always get my own back eventually.
Acquaintance: Yalah Gralhund. The lady of House Gralhund is another of those indebted to the Morrigan, though I know not how. For the moment, I am a guest in her manor house though not (yet) involved in her plans or those of her Black Network.

Backstory: Everyone in our kingdom knows the story of our humiliation. My mother remarried beneath her to the Lord Geoffrey Javotte. She had arranged invitations for my sister and I to meet the prince who was looking for a princess. Lord Geoffrey's sorcerous daughter, Ash, stole first my sister's gown and invitation, then mine, and went to the balls in our place. There she bewitched the prince into an obsessive passion then disappeared, leaving behind one of her own shoes. The prince came looking and ordered us to put on the enchanted slipper, but it had one of Ash's spells on it and cut off one of my sister's toes and part of my heel. Both of us walk with a limp to this day. Her own father tried to stop this madness, chopping down his favorite pear tree and smashing the manor house's pigeon coop, but Ash managed to escape both times. Then, taking possession of the prince she ordered my sister and I to walk down the aisle with her, and for our troubles, she had our eyes torn out by birds.

As we lay there in our blood and pain, I prayed to Morrigan, whose children had been fed on our bodies. And, she answered. She restored sight to my sister and I, that we might see again. And, a channel opened between us. Aschenputtel may be a sorceress, but my mother, my sister, and I do not forget the wrongs done to us. The Raven Queen provides power and once I gain enough power, then a day of reckoning will come and my evil stepsister will dance to her death in red hot shoes.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=78092

Last edited by penbeast0; 06-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
teotsal
Character Name: Kargh (of Tothen)
Race: Human
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background:

2 Personality Traits: He can get pretty physical pretty fast if his morales, ideology, or life, in some cases, are challenged. Also, Kargh doesn't like to waste time. He will always find ways to fill up his time, mostly in the form of jobs.

Ideal: Freedom.
Better is an hour of living free
than fourty years of prison and slavery
(Rigas Velestinlis - Thourios)

2 Bonds: A couple of bards in different cities have told him that he might have blood connections in Waterdeep. At least that's what their cards and "trained eyes" say. He wasn't buying it but the fact that a couple of people have told him made him give Waterdeep a try. Who knows? Afterall, he has been feeling empty, emotionally for as long as he can remember. He has never had a person to care for, to love. Maybe luck will award him with a person to have more reasons than one to care for and love. He still hasn't come across them, but he can wait. Nevertheless, a man needs to make coin as well. After taking up many jobs, Kargh has quite a few people owing him money here, and he's waiting for them to pay up. He doesn't believe in violence, blackmail, or "evil acts" as he deems them, and, therefore, he cannot do much to speed up the process other than wait and believe in the honesty and fairness of the locales. He doesn't mind though, due to his personal bond to this place.

Flaw: He has a closed mind, mainly due to his lack of education. One will find changing his decisions or beliefs difficult.

Preferred Starting Season: Summer. Kargh's skin suffers in the Winter, in spite of many years living in the wildereness. He's also got allergies, and, so, Spring is not ideal. Autumn is closer to Winter.

Acquaintance: The bards who advised him on going to Waterdeep told Kargh to tell Threestrings that Cobalt and Morois sent him, and they're sending their greetings.

Secret Writing Sample:

You'll find his picture in my sheet, since I cannot figure out how to add the image in the thread without it being enormous
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81081

By the way, this is my very first pbp campaign I'll be submitting to, besides the solo game for newbies (which uses Pathefinder). Therefore, it's very possible I'll have questions, do I get accepted. I hope you'll be able to bare with me .

Lastly, if I've done something wrong do tell me, please.

Last edited by teotsal; 06-21-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: To add the picture of Kargh
Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 134
VaultDweller VaultDweller
Posting for interest. Will try to have my app done in a day or so.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Here you go Teotsal:

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 238
Dreamer Dreamer Dreamer
Rinn
right-aligned image

Character Name: Rinn Ashfire

Race: Tabaxi

Class: Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Noble

2 Personality Traits:
-I wish to travel and learn as much as I can before settling down and actually doing the jobs that come with my position.

-My eloquent flattery makes everyone I talk to feel like the most wonderful and important person in the world.

Ideal: I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.

2 Bonds:
Personal: I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family.

City: By aiding the city, I can increase my family's legacy and good name.

Flaw: My composure slips sometimes when things don't go my way.

Preferred Starting Season: Autumn

Acquaintance: Meloon WarDragon -- Rinn is an eager listener, hanging onto every word of the tales that the great adventurer has to offer, and happily runs errands or small tasks for him in exchange for stories and tips on defeating various creatures and other advice for adventures.

Secret Writing Sample:

Note to other applicants: I would love to collab with another player, if anyone is interested in making a character that is Rinn’s older brother. (He would be an Elf. You can read his backstory spolier tag for background info). Currently, I’m setting up that Rinn came to Waterdeep with a sibling on a diplomatic trip, and that they don’t really get along. Could be fun to play out some relationship bonding during the adventure.

Additional notes:
Personality:

Last edited by Dreamer; 06-21-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
teotsal
Hmm, how did you do that Gualdarrama?
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 803
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Dae'Ron Alryl - "I drink and I know things.."
right-aligned image

APPLICATION COMPLETE

Name: Dae'Ron Alryl

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Rogue (Intention is to go Inquisitive).

Character Sheet

Trait: I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff.
Trait: I work hard so that I can play hard when the work is done.
Ideal: Freedom. The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)
Flaw: Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.
Bond: Ruthless pirates murdered my captain and crewmates, plundered our ship, and left me to die. Vengeance will be mine.
Bond: I pursue wealth to secure someone's love.
Preferred Starting Season: Spring
Personality:
Although not a man of many words, Dae'Ron is very good at the art of conversation. When not actively employed, he can generally be found in a tavern, chatting up the bartenders or a patron or two. He prefers to keep these conversations rather private and tries to avoid drawing a crowd. He's become quite adept at this strategy but it's got a major flaw. He's also a big fan of ale and gambling. It almost got him killed once or twice in the Nelanther Isles. Once because he won money from the wrong guys and another time (or two?) because of his loud mouth.

Despite his penchant for good drink and good times, Dae'Ron is very good at forgetting all of that when's he's got a job to do. While he is out on a job or a hunt, his focus is laser sharp. Especially since what happened to his crew. Now, more than ever, he's determined to keep his senses about him when danger may be close. It takes him time to warm up to new companions but once he does, you've got a friend for life.

Last edited by Treble83; 06-23-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 PM
Great Derpy Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1447
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
Posting for interest, I've wanted to try this campaign for quite some time and 1 post a day seems my kind of pace.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotsal View Post
Hmm, how did you do that Gualdarrama?
1st image was done with postimage.org

2nd image done with http://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/