twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 925
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Any guidance as to the level range this campaign will run over?

Also, tagging this for interest.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 609
Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab
Wizard incoming!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Let's "snuggle"

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29583
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Withdrawn.

Last edited by Ytterbium; 06-21-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 257
Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf
Posting interest, no solid idea just yet
Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 228
Infestation Infestation Infestation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
Any guidance as to the level range this campaign will run over?

Also, tagging this for interest.
Highly dependent on players. I have enough overarching story to get in the upper teens in level, though it's not all necessarily set in stone. A large part of the game will be pretty open to accommodate personal story and progression. For example, after your term at Ilisia you are free to do as you please for a while. Regardless of where you go the main story will catch up to you, though may vary slightly depending on where you are geographically. The capital would make sense since it is relatively close by and most of you have probably never been.

Level doesn't matter for the intro. You will be level one at your entry into Ilisia and likely around level three by the time you graduate. The college is not exactly a huge part of the game but there are a few key scenes I would like to play out, but if players are enjoying the school setting we can spend more time there. So the level jump between one and three could be a pretty quick one, or it can take longer if players are enjoying themselves. There is also the option of simply saying that the courses at Ilisia take more than two years to complete, giving you both more time to play with the setting and potentially a higher level upon exit. Your class will have fully fleshed out teachers and classmates that you can interact with. They will have all the relevant stats as it is quite possible/probable that you will be fighting them in sparring matches. It is also a goal of mine to make ever character you meet someone you can recruit as a cohort or ally, though the leadership feat doesn't come into play until a bit later. Basically I want it to be an important decision on how you interact with the people you come across. Your behavior toward them, as well as toward others should effect your relationships. I find this is often lacking in games, which is why you have players burn down an inn simply because the barkeep refused to give them free drinks. This might turn into a lot of work for me but hopefully not too much, and I think it might be worth it.

Hopefully that answers your question well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytterbium View Post
What is the expected posting rate?
I think three is a good number. Three per week, maybe more or less depending on time of year and what's going on in real life. As nice as 1/day sounds I don't think anyone can really keep that up 100%. It begins to feel almost like a chore for me to keep that up. For example: I do work long shifts at work on occasion and usually just crash shortly after getting home. I would rather just push it a day or two (if I have two in a row) rather than stay up late just to meet the quota.

Ice is a very real option. Give me as many as you can that you find interesting because I can't guarantee your top picks. Some of them can have a lot of subcategories, such as earth. Metal, crystal, plant, Acid, B/S/P (in the form of stone or metal shrapnel), mud, sand, clay, etc are all under earth. Some can even fall into two categories, such as mud being both water and earth, or mist being air and water. The more options you give me that interest you the less likely that you will be given one you don't care for. Again, if you only give me one option I can't guarantee you will get it. Some are more popular than others. Air, for example, seems to be one of the more popular.

Last edited by Infestation; 06-20-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for!

And now my next question, because I'm apparently can troublemaker. The traditionally divine casters are reskinned as using arcane magic. Presumably, they keep their normal spell lists. But a bigger question for me is whether they follow the arcane casting rules; do clerics, paladins, and so forth have to contend with arcane spell failure from armor?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
teotsal
Name: Bremm Timaya
Race: Gnome
Class: Bard
Archetype: Flame Dancer
Alignment:CN
Element: Fire
Favorite Color: Orange

Personality or Goals:

Background:

Traits:
Prankster.
Can put on a show with his mandolin.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81090

By the way, this is one of the first RPG's I'm applying to. That means I have very minimal, almost non-existent experience (besides the ongoing solo game I am a part of), and, therefore, I will probably have many questions, do I get accepted. Thank you for looking through the application eitherway, though!

Last edited by teotsal; 06-26-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
Exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for!

And now my next question, because I'm apparently can troublemaker. The traditionally divine casters are reskinned as using arcane magic. Presumably, they keep their normal spell lists. But a bigger question for me is whether they follow the arcane casting rules; do clerics, paladins, and so forth have to contend with arcane spell failure from armor?
Nope, mechanically they remain exactly the same, it is merely a flavor change to fit the setting. If anything I would probably change it so that arcane casters could use armor, rather than taking it away from the divine classes. Maybe I shouldn't say they become arcane casters. There are simply spellcasters in this setting and the only difference is how exactly they access the magic that is all around them.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Phern
CaelName: Cael Eburnus
Race: Ifrit
Class: Legendary Swashbuckler
Alignment: Neutral Good
Element: Fire/Light
Favorite Color: Dark Red
Fun Feat: Scorching Weapons

Personality/GoalsAt first glance Cael might seem like an unabashed braggart. While this is true, there is more to him than meets the eye. Beneath his showy exterior lies a man who genuinely wants to help people. Those who befriend him find that they have a incredibly loyal friend who would not hesitate to give assistance if needed. Occasionally his overconfidence can lead to trouble, but such actions are taken under the belief that he and his allies have the skills to take on any danger. His goal in life is to become a member of The Blades and carry on his father's legacy.

BackgroundBackground: For as long as he can remember, tales of great warriors and noble heroes saving the day have been the main focus of Cael's mind. Born in the capital city of Ascentis to the relativity affluent Erburnus family, Cael's days were filled with comfort and indulgence. His family had served the great nation of Astium for generations, and his father was even a former member of The Blades. Everyday, Cael was waited on hand and foot by numerous servants, and at night he looked forward to the stories his father would tell him of his military service before he went to bed. These stories would shape Cael's powerful desire to join the military as well. Cael's determination to follow in his father's footsteps was unmatched by his two siblings or his numerous cousins, causing many of them to resent his pompous attitude, or be jealous of his martial skill. Unfortunately when he was only 10 years old, a major scandal concerning the origins of the family's wealth was uncovered. It was discovered that the family's original source of money was through dealings with criminal gangs instead of military service as was previously thought. This revelation shook the family, as many within it were not aware of the scandal as well.

Ashamed of this development, Cael's parents took him and his siblings to the small city of Tovia, where they have distanced themselves from the family and have lived humble lives ever since. Such events did not reduce Cael's determination however, and he continues to train himself day and night for what he sees as his birthright. Cael knows that he will be a hero like his father, the only question is when.

FamilyDuana(Age 15): Cael's younger sister Duana is also interested in going to Ilisia, but for different reasons than her brother. Instead of following her father's legacy, she is interested in perfecting magic and becoming a renowned scholar. She shares some of her brother's pompous attitude but is generally more quiet and reserved than he is. Occasionally she has loud outbursts of emotion that Cael likes to tease her about. She and Cael are on generally good terms, and they tend to compete of small things and activities. Her class would be Arcanist.

Farrell(Age 12): Cael's youngest sibling Farrell hardly remembers the family's past at the capital. To him, small Tovia has always been his home. A fun loving individual, he is well known by the residents of Tovia for his antics. While overall a kind person, he resents his brother somewhat as he sees him as the favorite of their family. He is also jealous that the others get to leave to the capital. When he becomes older his class would probably tend towards Ranger.

Hagan(Age 54): Cael's father who served Astium in the ranks of The Blades. When he learned about the scandal, he was so disgusted with his family that he cut all contact with them and took his wife and kids to Tovia. He now works as a leather-worker in the city to make ends meet. he is a altruistic individual who despises crime in all of it's forms. his class would be Fighter.

Imogen(Age 47): Cael's kindly mother. Before she meet Hagan she was a poor commoner who resorted to crime to make money. Hagan made efforts to bring her to a better life and eventually they fell in love. Now living in Tovia, she prioritizes raising her children and taking care of her family. Her class would be Commoner/Rouge

Oskari(Age ???): Cael's Great-Grandfather and the head of the family. He is one of the few who knew about the scandal before it was revealed to the public. Cael only talked to him a few times but he remembers Oskari as being creepy and almost unnatural. Rumor has it that he talks to himself when nobody's around. His class would be Aristocrat/Shaman.

Keitha(Age 16): One of Cael's cousins and the one who revealed the family secret to the public. Why she attacked the family in this way is unknown, as she hasn't been seen since the scandal began.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81099
Updated!

Last edited by Phern; 06-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 572
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Jory seems to be about as complete as possible, though there is plenty of information I could use concerning the elementals for Pip.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 PM
The Bird of the Hermes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 362
Shadesoul Shadesoul Shadesoul Shadesoul
WIP

Name: Kazorin Duranath ("Kaz" to his friends)
Race: Minotaur
Class: Monk
Alignment: NG
Element: Hmmm, all of them sound interesting, depending on how,they are implemented. If I HAD to choose order of interest, it would be:
Light
Air
Water
Earth
Fire
Black
Favorite Color: Blue so dark it is nearly black
Personality or Goals: Those who have the brutish concept of minotaurs - loud, brash monsters who are merciless to their prey - in their minds are often shocked when they first meet Kaz. A quiet, reflective youth, he is unfailingly polite and observant, though he speaks so rarely to new people that some have thought him a mute. Yet around his friends, Kaz tends to be quick with a laugh or a bit of wise advice. The only time his calm, peaceful nature is disrupted is when he sees those he cares about in danger - while he doesn't care much what is said or done to him, those that would harm his friends realize all too quickly Kaz is not to be trifled with.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
BasicsName: Eleivyr Tel'Yssiron
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warpriest [Calamity Caller]
Alignment: LN
Element: In descending order of choice: Dark / Lightning / Wind
Favorite Color: Blue
BackgroundAstium is a nation at peace, but it is not a land without its own dangers. Eleivyr's most important early memories are of the night his human father died. The sound of the wind, like a roaring monster as it came across the plains. The shattering loudness as the wood-framed roof dissolved into splinters above him. His father's still and lifeless body on the soaked ground outside. Thirteen others died that same night, victims of the wind's anger and intensity. Eleivyr was five years old.

In between childhood games and preparations for the Academy, much of his next years were spent assisting his mother in a literally monumental task -- the creation of a stone stele, carved in relief with an image of the lost townsfolk symbolically standing, defiant, against the coming storm, and engraved with their names. Including the name of his father.

"Why?" he had asked his mother once, a question born of the innocence of youth and the petulance of his human blood. "Why do we make art as a marker for the dead? They can't see it."

She knelt in the dewy grass before him. "If I am fortunate," she began, "I may be blessed to live ten human lifetimes. My grandmother told me stories that in the ancient days, when the skies were still filled with dragons, that they might see ten elven lives, or a hundred, if not for their war against the demons." Eleivyr blinked with the peculiar sensation that he did not at all understand what he was being expected to understand. "But now we are here, only one dragon life since they faded from this world, and we have already forgotten their names." She turned to the monument, now nearly complete. "We carve your father's name -- carve all their names -- in the bones of the earth so that others will know that they lived here. A human life from now, an elven life. Perhaps even a dragon life hence, they will be remembered."

Eleivyr never had to ask the question again. Rather, he has made his mother's means of mourning into something of a great task for himself: trying to identify the places where disasters have struck and arrange for memorials and monuments. Along the way, he took up another of his mother's traditions. It is a peculiar understanding, that the mysteries of magic can be unlocked by his faith in the solace of death. "No matter how a life is lived or ended, in death there is eternal, perfect rest," she once told him. But that fatal windstorm so many years ago, and the self-appointed purpose borne of it, have also awakened something else inside him. As he seeks to ensure that the victims of calamity are remembered, the raw power of calamity swells in him and answers the call of his magic. For now, at least, he controls it.
PersonalityUnlike many his age, who revel in the bounties of youth, Eleivyr as already been touched by death, and has already begun to sense how the long, weighty touch of time leans differently upon him than those of purely human heritage. He is a quiet and contemplative young man, although prone at times to sudden bursts of emotion -- whether those be joy and laughter, or a darkly calm anger...
GoalsEleivyr's dream -- he considers it too unlikely to ever happen to consider it a "goal" -- is to learn the names of the dragons who gave their lives in the Aeon War. Or, at the very least, the names of those who sacrificed themselves in the great ritual to banish the demons from this world. He would lend his hands and powers to shape a great monument to them on the site of that selfless act (which he assumes is likely beyond the Fold, adding further complications), ensuring that they will be known for all time for what they accomplished.

On a more realistic timescale, he knows that he can command a sliver of the same natural power that killed his father and nearly killed him. It answers to his will, but will it always? He knows he must find a use for it, because power unused craves release, and hopes that he can find an opportunity to do so in defense of the safety and order of Astium... although he's somewhat hesitant to attempt to earn a place in one of the grand military orders. Just in case he's wrong about his capacity to direct the storm within.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 609
Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab
Ahab's Monk
right-aligned image

Name: Enda
Race: Human
Class: Flowing Monk
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Element: Steam (Fire and Water), Fire, Magma
Favorite Color: Violet
Personality or Goals: Enda's external struggle is to conquer her anger, but her internal struggle is to be unfettered.
Background:

Enda was a firecracker from her first steps.

She had a dominant personality that she would accidentally weaponize over the other children of her town. If she wanted to win a race, she thought little of giving her opponent a little push to help them off balance. She would throw tantrums if she lost, turn small disagreements into shouting matches, and make all sorts of rash declarations whether she planned to heed them or not.

She was as athletic as she was volcanic, something that always seemed to keep her grounded. Exercise was her solace for anger management. Thus, it made sense that her parents would send her to evenings at the Watercourse Monastery. Mostly, it was a dojo that offered meditation and Tai Chi for those that wanted stress relief or focus. Enda's mother, specifically, felt that the time she used to get into spats with her peers could be better spent learning 'inner peace.'

Enda, of course, turned everything into a competition. She wanted to be the most flexible, exhale the deepest, and somehow impose her tenacity, even if it was through displays of relaxation. Eventually the Sensei of the dojo grew tired of her posturing and kicked her out.

Not two weeks after, the Sensei happened upon Enda walking home. She couldn't have been more than 10 at the time. A group of older kids had taken up on a foot trail and decided she couldn't pass without paying a toll. Of course, kids carried no money, and Enda replied with an uncoordinated flurry of desperate punches and kicks. One of the older kids deftly stepped in and kicked her right in the chest, sending her flying back a couple of feet.

The sensei stepped in, breaking up the commotion. He grabbed the girl by the arm and led her immediately back to home. She complained loudly as his tight grip hurt her arm, but he did not let up. Barely keeping up, she scampered behind him, almost being dragged. Enda's mother opened the door surprised at first, but seeing the anger and shame in her daughter's eyes a familiar feeling of "what is it this time?" set in.

The Sensei spoke; "I would like her to start attending the dojo again. However, her lessons will be longer than normal sessions. If you would permit, I would be willing to walk her home to keep her out of trouble and ensure she doesn't get hurt. Lessons would take place until well after dark."

Her mom didn't know what to say at first, but eventually mustered a question, "Well, uh, when would she start?"

The sensei replied, "immediately."

Mother nodded.

// // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // //

Her first lesson wasn't much of a lesson at all. In fact, neither were the first dozen or so. The Sensei would have her stand in a pair of shoes nailed to the floor and swing ropes her that were attached to the ceiling. All she did for weeks was dodge ropes. At first, she was angry. Then bored. Then eventually, her nature kicked in, and she started finding clever ways to bend and dodge.

Many more lessons of this type began. Many without any instruction or word from her teacher. She learned to become fluid. To stop asking so many questions. To just go with the flow of events.

Of course, these lessons were still sinking in. Often she'd curse loudly if she slipped up at any point, or throw a fit if she felt she'd been on one exercise for too long. There seemed to be a battle. She was a force of fire meeting a fluid force of water.

// // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // //

She attended lessons for years, eventually becoming quite acrobatic. Her outright confrontational nature had been tamed, but she never lost that burning feeling within. Of course, the torrent of emotions that comes along with being a teenager isn't any help. Having finished her studies locally, she was now destined for Ilisia. Her parents had been telling her for a couple years not that her lessons in restraint and meditation had made her a perfect candidate for the Blades. She could use those skills in helping with disputes and police matters.

However, deep down, she knows she wants to be an Ash Eater. She wants to escape to a landscape where she can be completely herself, untamed, and nonconforming to courtesies and impressions. Monsters needed little regard of civility, after all. She hopes to align herself for recruitment subversively, as she is sure to be checked on by her parents. Ilisia ahead, Enda sees her chance to become unchained by a polite society.

I know I said above that I had a wizard incoming, but after reading a bit about your world and how elements will play such a factor, everything I considered led back to Monk! Specifically, I think that if elements are such a theme it'd be cool to pit her Fire sort of nature against a Water kind of understanding or fluidness that she's been taught. I would love to play out her inner struggle. Will the firey nature overcome her and she'll be destined to be belligerent and violent and alone? Or can she reconcile that to learn to be more spontaneous and forgiving? Can they be combined for any benefit? Should be a cool character arc!

Currently working on a character sheet. Will edit this post when I have it done.

EDIT: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81103

Last edited by Ahab; 06-21-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
Jory seems to be about as complete as possible, though there is plenty of information I could use concerning the elementals for Pip.
Was there something in particular you wanted to know?

Everyone - I am making a couple changes, or additions really, to the character creation. First, everyone receives an ability similar to, but more powerful than, the Eschew Materials feat. You can cast any spell with a material component costing 25g or less without needing that component. This increases by 25g for every level beyond first to a total of 500g at level twenty. If someone finds a way to abuse this then I might remove it, or alter it in some way.

Second, everyone may take an additional feat at first level but must be something "fun". Static bonuses are not "fun", so no Weapon Focus, TWF, Stealthy, or commonly used feats like Power Attack (granted this one is free with Feat Taxes, but just an example). It should be something to provide a little flavor, not simply to make your character stronger.

I will add these to the first post.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Are magical tails fun? (^_^)

Nevermind. Found a much more fun one. Realistic Likeness. Hehehe.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-21-2019 at 10:56 PM.