RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7886
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Ok, so...85 points as written?
Adds up to 75 with the complication.

Also yes, the child died, or I would have put him down as a dependant. Which I could still do if I wanted to spend some more points, but if we are off scooby dooing around the place then it might be too distracting. I just decided to have cut all ties to family in classic disney fashion.

The drinking problem at moderate in turn is not so very debilitating I think.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hm! Utah would be an interesting wrinkle given some other developments for Renata I have in mind. Hadn't really considered the idea of Tom and Isabella being LDS, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. In fact, in some ways it would actually be better.

Yeah, we can run with that.

It does mean that dad's resistance to her going into law enforcement is probably more a withholding of support than any real influence over whether or not she can get employment. Means she's going to San Diego on her own dime...which implies that she's probably not taking full semesters, and more than adequately resolves the question of why she's so desperate for money.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Kenjitsu
Quote:
Thank you! The background is good up to the part about actually having encountered vampires. I'm looking forward to running the characters first real encounter with a monster, so how do you feel about the background up to the part where he's running his own martial arts studio? Possibly with a sketchy financial backer, but no reveal of monsters...yet?
I am ok with that. That let's you select whatever monster you want to come into my studio.

BTW: After the monster attack, assuming there are casualties, Jeff's studio will probably be closed down and he will be out of a job. Perfect time for someone to recruit him.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 544
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Adds up to 75 with the complication.

Also yes, the child died, or I would have put him down as a dependant. Which I could still do if I wanted to spend some more points, but if we are off scooby dooing around the place then it might be too distracting. I just decided to have cut all ties to family in classic disney fashion.

The drinking problem at moderate in turn is not so very debilitating I think.
The moderate drinking isn't a problem in itself, it's just that I'm looking for a motivating Complication or factor in the background, and I don't see what would motivate Noah to take on monster hunting for money. I mean if his family is totally out of the picture and all he needs is drinking money?
Oh! So a couple of mechanical things about 6th edition, Complications aren't like the Disadvantages of previous editions in that Complications don't add to your total available points to spend. In 6th edition, your total points are a max, and some of those points require matching Complication points. So in this case, in Learning Curve the game, if we have say, 75 points with 25 points of matching Complications, then not having any Complications would leave you just 50 points to spend.

There's a few other changes in the 6th edition, like there's no characteristic for how you look. Presence is not appearance, and the Comeliness characteristic from previous editions is gone. If you want to be particularly good looking, you buy levels of Striking Appearance for 3 points each.

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-23-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Hm! Utah would be an interesting wrinkle given some other developments for Renata I have in mind. Hadn't really considered the idea of Tom and Isabella being LDS, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. In fact, in some ways it would actually be better.

Yeah, we can run with that.

It does mean that dad's resistance to her going into law enforcement is probably more a withholding of support than any real influence over whether or not she can get employment. Means she's going to San Diego on her own dime...which implies that she's probably not taking full semesters, and more than adequately resolves the question of why she's so desperate for money.
Okay good. Oh that brings up faith which is good, cause it could come up, but won't be alot: if your character has a particularly strong faith that might help in some encounters with some kinds of monsters. You would need to let me know, and it would be represented by both buying a Faith skill which would be based on the Ego characteristic, and by taking a Complication for the particular type of faith and how being serious about it limits your character in behavior.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Renata struggles with faith. Some things make sense to her, other things do not. Some things feel right, other things have hurt her...badly.

She hasn't even come close to reconciling these things. I don't see her having a special benefit or limit based on said faith, at least not right away.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-24-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3089
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
I have edited my first post with an application. I’ve got a nice picture to go with it, but I’ll have to wait until I’m on my PC.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Right! In fact I am keeping it simple and relatively"small ball" to start, looking at under 100 points and around 25 in matching Complications. So far actually looking at 75 total starting points.
Ok, so we are competent normals. Got it.

Let's see what I can do with 100 pts as a character.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ok, what about this. First draft. Currently no complications, I will get to those in a bit. Just wanted to run some numbers by you.

Let me know.

Bullseye pdf

Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7886
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
The moderate drinking isn't a problem in itself, it's just that I'm looking for a motivating Complication or factor in the background, and I don't see what would motivate Noah to take on monster hunting for money. I mean if his family is totally out of the picture and all he needs is drinking money?
Not exactly sure what you mean - he needs money because he is in crippling debt. I can emphasise this more in the text, but he is living at the absolute minimum with most things that he owns having been repossessed. You said before that you would like to have money problems as a motivator, and that's why I threw in the deceased kid. In fact I do not want a living kid for the character under any circumstances.

Quote:
In 6th edition, your total points are a max, and some of those points require matching Complication points. So in this case, in Learning Curve the game, if we have say, 75 points with 25 points of matching Complications, then not having any Complications would leave you just 50 points to spend.
Well, you said before (here) you were looking at 75 points with no matching complication - so total. In fact that is also how much you spent on the sheet you had prepared for me.

Or it is 75/25? MrKinister seems to think it is 100/25. I would really like a clear set amount of points so I can finalise my character. I am aware of how the points are published in the books, but I only just now read that you can't increase the amount of complications (turning a 75/0 into a 85/10 like I did). I don't particularly agree with that, but whatever.

Depending on what the actual points look like I can also just throw the hunted complication in as the bailiffs are after Noah trying to shake him down for more money.

Last edited by Phettberg; 06-24-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Kenjitsu
I took a first pass at the character sheet details. I am only familiar with the 5th edition, so that is the format I used to start with. You can convert it over to the new format.

NAME: Jeff Stone

Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, hey, did I misunderstand that? It is 100 total with 25 in complication (75+25), or 75 total with 25 in complications (50+25)?

Old 06-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey SalmonMax,

I didn't know you played Hero System... =D

Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh no, you'd need to talk to 90's Max for that. Hey 90's Max!

"Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude..."

...no, not really. But kinda.

I played HERO a bit in college. Made a ton of characters, 99% of which never saw the light of day. It was a lot of fun though. I was already into GURPS, but HERO gave a system that had mechanically similar rules, while being very different spiritually. GURPS is great for 'gritty' kinds of adventures, but HERO does Supers way better.

Since then I've learned to appreciate 'lighter' systems like M&M and Icons and so on, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a system that keeps track of actions per round with a spreadsheet.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Oh, hey, did I misunderstand that? It is 100 total with 25 in complication (75+25), or 75 total with 25 in complications (50+25)?
Yes, sorry I’m going with 50+25
The syntax in 6e is 75 with matching 25 but yes, 50+25 is a more clear way to say it.

NOTE: I updated this in the first post and also am updating character sheets as linked in the table in the first post, so please refer there for my progress on reviewing characters! ��

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-24-2019 at 02:06 PM.