RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 05:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1100
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Henry B. Scroggs

Henry B. Scroggs

Background:
Our family went out West with a bunch of black folk, right after the War of Rebellion ended. Story has it, my several-greats grandfather escaped from a Northern Virginia plantation and went on across the border, immediately to join up with the 25th Colored Infantry. Well, he won some battles and fought more and when they was all free he named himself after his commander. He’d been just Henry but now he was Henry Scroggs. I’m named after him.

Not done with fighting, ol’ Henry joined the Buffalo Soldiers and went West. We settled there, the family, and fought in every war America had, ranching when there was no war on. The streak lasted through the Spanish-American and two World Wars but no longer. My grandpa didn’t even fight. Korea was no real war, not to my grandpa’s reckoning. If Congress don’t declare it so, ain’t no war.

So I’d fight, I’d sign on that dotted line tomorrow, but Congress must say it, not one pretend Caesar after another. Even 9/11. Pa expected to have to join up for that, seeing as we was attacked. But not for our Congress. They didn’t declare war on nobody.

If I chewed tobacco, I’d spit now. But I don’t chew tobacco. I smoke it, like a normal man.

Our family started off in Dearfield, up in Colorado. The depression put paid to that, though, and my grandpa’s pa went packing looking for work. He found it in Santa Fe, but city life didn’t suit him much and as soon as he returned from the Pacific he took his stake and bought a ranch up near Chama. We’ve been there since, feeding cattle on the slopes and then bringing them South to Texas in the winter.

The drive used to be done by horses, but though the drives the same, we do it on cruise control now and over blacktop. We still use the horses in the ranching, and Diomed is my Arabian now. Paths are easier with horses, and we can go with the cattle and at the cattle’s pace. Plus, it’s good for a man to be in saddle. Specially this man, tracing the life from his great-great-great-great grandpa on down, one Henry Scroggs to another.

Now, I admit modern life does perplex me some. I don’t own a cellphone and I don’t watch TV. I live on the ranch, and though we do have some internet, it's just enough to write emails and have a website up. I live in an old era.

Perhaps that’s why I was so blindsided when Pa died. Not the death itself. He was old and people do die with less warning than he gave, but I was blindsided on what came after. The estate was split three ways, between three kids. So far, so fair. I didn’t expect more than that.

I did expect my brother and sister to want something to do with the ranch. My brother up and just left, taking the cash to blow on something, possibly blow. My sister took the cash and sunk it the student loans of her and her husband.

At least I understood her. She had her own life to lead and it had nothing to do with the one I took up from our Pa. Even my brother I understood, to a point. So I kept operating the ranch, because it’s all I know and all I’ve ever loved. We was given a bit of a rambling education in our youth, never went to regular public school. My family never liked them.

Anyway, my brother went off Dallas-ways and then we lost contact with him awhile. I’d known he’d turned up by our place down in West Texas. The bank said he wanted to know what he owned and have his papers.

Well… the rat bastard ended up using those papers to mortgage our ranches up the heaven twice-over in debt. Olivia, that’s our sister, thought he’d gone to Los Angeles, to make himself an actor. Or at least to sleep with whatever ‘actresses’ he could. So like something out of our great-great-great-great grandpa’s time, I tracked him to LA. Not on the back of a horse, more's the pity, but on the back of my motorcycle, and that's sort of the modern equivalent. Just me and my Harley Dyna Super Glide, which I called Dinah after the song and cause I thought it was funny. Well, Dinah and I are chasing my brother. And right now we’ve tracked him to San Diego.

Hobbies:
Harry likes work and he keeps working even after he’s done for the day. He makes most of his furniture, and he likes to hunt, camp, and fish. Also, while he didn’t get much of what you’d call a normal education, his Pa left him a bunch of books and he’s reading them. Harvard Classics, they’re called.

Character Goal:
Get money to save the family acreage and maybe save his brother in the process.

Player Goal:
I like torturing my characters, pushing against their moral center and seeing if it breaks. In this case, I’m also really, really interested in the system. I only really know DnD’s D20 system and I want to get experience outside of that.

Secret:

Friends, Relatives, and Enemies:
Lawrence “Laurie” M. Scroggs, 33, is Harry’s older brother. A bruiser of a man, he still couldn’t make it in the ranching life. When their father died, Laurie took his share of the cash and went up off to Dallas, telling his younger brother to manage the ranch. He’s played the drifter and layabout since.

Isabella Martinez, 24, sells her father’s chiles. He grows the best crop of chiles in the whole damn state. It was just a bit popular when I was a kid, and I remember driving to their back door in my dad’s pickup to get fed up with several pounds of the things like we was making a drug sale. Isabella, though, she went off to school and she came back to revolutionize how they sell it. Last I heard, Old Man Martinez sells his chiles from San Francisco to London now. Isabella herself runs the whole operation, and still manages to be the honest, no-nonsense gal Harry always knew her to be.

Olivia E. Scroggs, 36, is Harry’s older sister. Like Laurie, she always wanted to get away. Unlike Laurie, she did it smart. After a stint at the local junior college, she went off to Rice in Houston and became a doctor. She still lives in Houston with her family, husband and two kids.

Peter Murray, 31, inherited oil wealth from his family and moved on up to Chama to play as a dude rancher. He’s funny and good to the people, Harry would give him that. He also sniffs around Isabella, and Harry wants to give him a bullet for that.

Experience with Hero System 6?
None whatsoever.

I have taken the Oath
Old 06-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9863
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Okay sounds reasonable, where is this update?
I have my Character Points spent listed at the bottom of my app.

Also just making sure: Are you aware of the multiquote feature of the site? You can mark multiple posts for quoting that way before hitting quote and respond to each one in turn in a single post. I mean this is your ad, so you can virtually do what you want, but in other parts of the site it is generally frowned upon to have multiple posts in a row. Also you don't always have to quote the entirety of a message, you can just delete parts of it.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1828
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
I have my Character Points spent listed at the bottom of my app.

Also just making sure: Are you aware of the multiquote feature of the site? You can mark multiple posts for quoting that way before hitting quote and respond to each one in turn in a single post. ...it is generally frowned upon to have multiple posts in a row.
Thanks, Phettberg! I didn't know these things! I'm new to this site and appreciate any tips on established tool use and etiquette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguaManiac View Post
Henry B. Scroggs

Henry B. Scroggs

Experience with Hero System 6?
None whatsoever.

Welcome, LinguaManiac! I appreciate the interest, character and detailed background! Looks great! I will link to a character sheet in the first post table in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
How... much different is 6th ed from the ole' 4th ed HERO SYSTEM i learned to play?
Ah, the land breaking Big Blue Book! That was awesome! Welcome! The main changes were to how characteristics work: they are no longer 'figured' (for example buying up Dexterity no longer automatically raises your Combat Value). So the cost is lower, but you have to buy each one independently.

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-25-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 444
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Updated Character

NAME: Jeff Stone

Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
NAME: Jeff Stone

I appreciate the tweaks!
One important thing to consider, this edition (6e) doesn’t “figure “ any characteristics, so for example having a Dexterity 18 only costs 2 points per point of Dexterity above 10, but will NOT raise your OCV or DCV above “3”! It will only help for Dex-based skills. OCV and DCV have to each be bought up independently at a cost of 5 points each!

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Thank you! I will review and enter into Hero Designer and respond.
I can link the POR file if you want. No need to do the work, I've already done it. Let me know.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
I can link the POR file if you want. No need to do the work, I've already done it. Let me know.
Thank you! I appreciate it and also the desire to move forward! What is a “POR” file?

I’m entering my “character write up of record “ in Hero Designer because it gives me the most flexibility of multiple export formats and fault checks. It’s a little more investment in time up front but very helpful for me as GM going forward.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I appreciate the tweaks!
One important thing to consider, this edition (6e) doesn’t “figure “ any characteristics, so for example having a Dexterity 18 only costs 2 points per point of Dexterity above 10, but will NOT raise your OCV or DCV above “3”! It will only help for Dex-based skills. OCV and DCV have to each be bought up independently at a cost of 5 points each!
I bought the MHIHS PDF from Hero Games and updated my character sheet and adjusted all the values to fit within the starting parameters.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; 06-25-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Trying to add table around the stats
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
I bought the MHIHS PDF from Hero Games and updated my character sheet and adjusted all the values to fit within the starting parameters.

Very nice! Very helpful thank you!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1183
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Tweak time!

I started out designing a new Renata from scratch just to get a feel for the system. Then I decided I liked yours better.

That said, it looks like you're charging Renata 1 point for the TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, when that's a free Everyman skill.

Also, I think we can rename the freebie Professional skill just (Student) and not worry immediately about the coursework. I'm thinking I may want to be narratively flexible on that front, given that her circumstances give her a bit more freedom than the first draft offered.

The price of that freedom? 5 point Money complication. Dad's not helping her through school if she's not playing his game, so she's Poor. The idea being that most of what money she has/makes is getting sucked into the vortex of school tuition, supplies, etc etc. She could always ask dad for more, but that would be deeply unpleasant and give him a point of leverage.

So, assuming I'm not wrong about the 1 point overcharge, I'm thinking maybe a skill familiarity (breakfall or analyze maybe) or, perhaps a Passport fringe benefit.

Also, not sure about the Intelligence. That might go better in Ego?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate it and also the desire to move forward! What is a “POR” file?

I’m entering my “character write up of record “ in Hero Designer because it gives me the most flexibility of multiple export formats and fault checks. It’s a little more investment in time up front but very helpful for me as GM going forward.
Whoops... my bad. I meant to say the HDC file. POR is from HeroLab, which manages Mutants & Masterminds files and builds.

Too many super games...

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Wow! Okay, he's got some anger! That might be okay, but is he a murder hobo? Just checking cause rule number two from the first post....
Just desperate to fit in and be appreciated somewhere. If recruited into the Monster Hunters, presumably he could use his talents for "good." If not, well, . . . .

Do you need a character sheet or only if selected?
Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Okay! Please check out the table in the first post; I have linked character sheets that might be the final versions for all but the two most recent players (sorry, I will get to those as soon as I can).

(Oops I see two errors already, forgot to take out the guns and add the staff to Renata's equipment, and accidentally pasted Renata's martial arts maneuvers in to another character. And sorry, hafrogman, I finished a character for Evan but forgot to export the sheet. I will as soon as I can. Still, getting closer!)

penbeast0 your answer reassures me, thank you!

And I believe I had one person inquire about changes in the system, but not sure if you were interested in playing?

I am getting ready to start playing with at least some PC's; I think I will try to take all comers and run parallel solo's at least to start.

Please check out the linked character sheets and let me know if it looks good to you.

Also, a link to online resources, free stuff is going to be pretty general here's a nice summary.

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-26-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9863
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Okay! Please check out the table in the first post; I have linked character sheets that might be the final versions for all but the two most recent players (sorry, I will get to those as soon as I can).
Cool, thanks for translating that over.

Somes things that I noticed though: I was going for 12 dexterity, not 11. Also I had 2 in PS: Social Worker, not zero, Transport Familarity in both Small Vehicles and Small Planes, and as discussed I have the one point weaponsmith, not two.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
For the extra point available, can we add a knife as a weapon element to his martial arts skills?

I also wrote up some extra details to add to his character sheet.