RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1319
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
That actually reminds me...Renata's skilled in the use of a staff, which is a pretty large weapon.

Wondering now if it wouldn't be better to scale it down somewhat. Tonfa maybe, or a jo staff?

I'm unsure though, what the tradeoff would be for that portability/concealability.
It’s actually listed as a bo staff now however functionally there’s no difference for combat. Have a smooth stick is totally street legal though you kind have a secret identity vibe going so yeah maybe with xp get access to or invent a good collapsible staff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhald View Post
Thank you for making a character sheet. Looks great (I think!)
Excellent! I realize this is a learning experience and once you begin actually playing you may want to discuss tweaking or improving things. In short I took the liberty of adding some expensive Talents that seemed appropriate for a veteran who survived multiple tours into combat theatres. He’s got a sixth sense for danger though it only about fifty fifty reliable and some defense that works like getting lucky when the bullets are flying.

So, are you up for trying him out in a solo thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
Where do I find those folders?

*UPDATE* Never mind, I found it.
Hooray! How’d you end up finding it? Congratulations on being my first player onsite! Now for your prize, um please bear with me as I am figuring things out and making the threads I will need. For example I haven’t been able to get map images to show in posts using images hosted in Google Photos...?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1029
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
A collapsible staff would be sweet.

And admittedly, there's probably a lot of ways to 'improvise' a staff. A pool cue, a broom handle...etc etc. And 4d6 barehanded isn't anything to sneeze at for 'normal' scale combat.

Just thinking of someone prowling around, looking for trouble...with a 6 foot staff in hand. Making me headscratch a little. Seems...conspicuous. But then again, she may just do head-punch, and the staff training isn't something she's using as much. That does enough damage to seriously hurt someone after all. Would probably be overkill for busting up overzealous frat goons.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Hmm...you know what else? One of the PCs is a martial arts instructor.
Hey, Jeff, wanna be Renata's martial arts instructor?
Very cool! I actually created a thread in the game OOC folder for players to work out shared stuff like that! So big question, is Renata ready for the big time? I am generally waiting for each prospective player to say, “ai I am ready to play with the character as it is currently showing in the “official “ linked characters sheet.” :-D

There can be a slight delay after that as I am posting mobile except in evenings and weekends and there are limitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafrogman View Post
Okay, fair enough. I would like to even out STR and INT (14,14) so strength doesn't look so much like a defining characteristic.
As I said, I'm good with the dodge. But removing the rest frees up 9 points, as far as I can see. I'm thinking a couple of points each in DEX, CON, PRE, then put the rest back into skills (tracking and paramedics), or perhaps the scientist skill perk thing (in case I want to branch out into other fields later).
No, that makes sense. I need to get back to my original concept of eventual mad scientist.
Cool! So the strength has to be 15 for those big elephant guns, but there’s enough points to raise the intelligence to 15 or better, 18! For the best round off on skill rolls. Dodge for plus three defense is actually a maneuver available to anyone; martial dodge just makes it into plus five so not sure it is worth the points for a non martial artist! The scientists skill enhancement is cool making future KS science areas one point cheaper. Anything else to be ready to play? I’m really eager to get your scenario in particular up and running. MUAHAHA!!!

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-27-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4016
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Hooray! How’d you end up finding it? Congratulations on being my first player onsite! Now for your prize, um please bear with me as I am figuring things out and making the threads I will need. For example I haven’t been able to get map images to show in posts using images hosted in Google Photos...?
All the games are listed in the 'Games' forum, divided by type. In this case 'Other Games', then this game is new, so it'll be down at the bottom.

Best to 'favorite' it once you're inside.

As far as images, I was able to get it to work. But you have to right-click and 'Copy Image Location' to get the full (ugly and long) URL and use that in the IMG tags.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
A collapsible staff would be sweet.

And admittedly, there's probably a lot of ways to 'improvise' a staff. A pool cue, a broom handle...etc etc. And 4d6 barehanded isn't anything to sneeze at for 'normal' scale combat.

Just thinking of someone prowling around, looking for trouble...with a 6 foot staff in hand. Making me headscratch a little. Seems...conspicuous. But then again, she may just do head-punch, and the staff training isn't something she's using as much. That does enough damage to seriously hurt someone after all. Would probably be overkill for busting up overzealous frat goons.
I’m picturing a martial arts bo staff at four feet, FYI and you know that saying, “Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it?”

Still she probably wouldn’t want to be seen carrying it around with her to class and work and such. Oh work...Starbucks barista?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I am going over Renata's background and personality entries as we speak. I think mechanically she's good to go.

Hm! I'd read a bo staff was 6 foot, a full size 'quarterstaff' kinda. The jo staff was the short one...but I fully and expressly admit to a virtually bottomless abyss of personal knowledge/experience on the subject. My info is only as good as the one website I looked at.

If it's the shorter variant, then I think it's fine.

Heck, can she tote around a baseball bat? Bat-Fu! I guess they're probably weighted differently though. Ah well. Hee hee.

As for the job, lets see...barista is possible. That could explain a lot too, as by the end of the day doing that, she'd very very ready to dispense arbitrary and basically illegal justice, just to blow off steam... Just another bit of pressure to get another source of income, hehe.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-27-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
All the games are listed in the 'Games' forum, divided by type. In this case 'Other Games', then this game is new, so it'll be down at the bottom.

Best to 'favorite' it once you're inside.

As far as images, I was able to get it to work. But you have to right-click and 'Copy Image Location' to get the full (ugly and long) URL and use that in the IMG tags.

Thanks! Umm

I’m not getting image locations as an option on mobile...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ioL28888ENzZ8Pak6
Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4016
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Quote:
Thanks! Umm

I’m not getting image locations as an option on mobile...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ioL28888ENzZ8Pak6
I can't do it on mobile, either. Only on desktop. To be completely honest, I don't think Google WANTS you hotlinking to google images. Gives up too much control. You may be better off with imgur or something.

I don't know any FTP phone apps, but they may be out there. So if you like I could try to set you up a space on a server somewhere to dump them (I'd have full access, but I really don't think I'd have time to go cheezing anything )

Quote:
Cool! So the strength has to be 15 for those big elephant guns, but there’s enough points to raise the intelligence to 15 or better, 18! For the best round off on skill rolls. Dodge for plus three defense is actually a maneuver available to anyone; martial dodge just makes it into plus five so not sure it is worth the points for a non martial artist! The scientists skill enhancement is cool making future KS science areas one point cheaper. Anything else to be ready to play? I’m really eager to get your scenario in particular up and running. MUAHAHA!!!
I think those tweaks and I should be okay. I'd still like a few points scattered in the other stats. So let's see:

+2 DEX
+2 CON
+5 INT
+2 PRE

-13 (martial arts)

That leaves two points for `scientist` (can't remember that cost, if I'm over we'll revisit). But other than that, yeah, I'm ready to get rolling.

Last edited by hafrogman; 06-27-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9422
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
I am generally waiting for each prospective player to say, “ai I am ready to play with the character as it is currently showing in the “official “ linked characters sheet.” :-D
Just had a peek at the official sheet. The language has not been bumped up by that one point, which is what's missing to get it from 74 to 75. Beyond that it's ready.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I can't do it on mobile, either. Only on desktop. To be completely honest, I don't think Google WANTS you hotlinking to google images. Gives up too much control. You may be better off with imgur or something.

I don't know any FTP phone apps, but they may be out there. So if you like I could try to set you up a space on a server somewhere to dump them (I'd have full access, but I really don't think I'd have time to go cheezing anything )

I think those tweaks and I should be okay. I'd still like a few points scattered in the other stats. So let's see:

+2 DEX
+2 CON
+5 INT
+2 PRE

-13 (martial arts)

That leaves two points for `scientist` (can't remember that cost, if I'm over we'll revisit). But other than that, yeah, I'm ready to get rolling.
Cool n can you see Evan up at the top of the map by the wild animal park? Yeah I think I can work with desktop; thanks! I’ve used google photos to hotlink images to my play by post games for years and really like it for that, so i can live with doing it on the desktop:scientist is 3 points, but I’m okay advancing you the xp.

Looks like I could have three or more live game threads as soon as I get the character sheets updated!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Background/History:
Renata was born in, of all places, Massachusetts, where her father met her mother and they settled down for a time. Her father, Thomas, was a politician paying his dues and worming his way into the local Republican party apparatus. Isabella, her mother, was the daughter of a wealthy family in Utah...they were practically destined for one another. Ren has an older brother, whom she practically idolized as a child, and constantly tried to emulate. That changed when the youngest son of the house was born, and Randy got...in Renata's eyes...more mean-spirited. By the time Renata was going into high school, she was regularly defending her younger brother from being picked on by her elder.

And high school was a tough time for her. After having success at the state level, Tom Hodges was starting to set his sights on grander ambitions. There was more and more pressure to be good, or at least be quiet. Randy was molding into a less charming, more aggressive version of his old man and constantly tested Renata's vigilance in looking out for Zack. Isabella was always on Renata's case about her dress, her behavior, what 'message' was she sending... Then on top of all that fell a ton of relatively normal high school drama that involved relationships gone horribly awry, family disapproval, and the fears of scandal. The family headed back to Utah to regroup, and Renata finished high school at a private school.

It was around this time that a whole lot of built-up issues were hashed out between Renata and her father. As much as he loved her, there were things he could not politically or spiritually embrace. She had to do her part too, for the family. Renata, still reeling from the succession of emotional blows she'd suffered...many of which, to be fair, were not her dad's fault...simply couldn't accept what her father was offering. A pre-planned, if comfortable, life. Someone else's life; not hers at all.

Renata managed to finagle acceptance and even a modest scholarship based on her high school athletics at a school in San Diego. Tom and Isabella were, of course, dead set against it...which just made it easier to go.

In hindsight, she's sometimes wondered if this wasn't Tom's plan all along. Had he intentionally couched his terms and offers and suggestions in ways he knew she'd walk out on? To ensure that it would be easy to spin her as the unreasonable one...especially after her track record. To play the tearful-eyed 'we just hope she's ok, and knows she can always come back to us' card to supporters and press?

She hates what politics has done to her family. She worries about what comes next, and not just for herself. What about Zack, her younger brother? Granted, Randy was off at college now too...but it was a big, mean world out there. Now she couldn't help him.

Maybe that's why, picking her way through a parking-lot shortcut back to her room after a late night, she decided to stop when she spotted a car's interior light on. Why she went over to see if anything was wrong...and therefore saw a female student trying to fend off a guy big enough to be a football player. And why she intervened herself, rather than calling the campus cops on her phone. In her troubled high school years, she'd learned to fight. Well enough to put down one mostly-drunk guy she caught completely by surprise at least. There was a kind of peace she felt in the aftermath of the rage and fear. When the near-victim hugged her and ran off, and she was alone again...a calm serenity that Renata hadn't felt since...god only knows when. A moment that was right.

She'd need to learn to fight better though, Renata immediately knew. It would never be safe either. Sooner or later someone would have a gun or a knife or something...or be better than her, or luckier... It was stupid and dangerous and wonderful and it would give her dad FITS if he knew and that alone was all the argument she needed, all she would ever need.

She signed up for martial arts the next day.

Personality/Motivation:
People's first impression of Renata is that she seems quiet and standoffish. She is slow to warm to people; cautious of making connections. Once she warms up to a person, or a situation, another side of her emerges...a more open, fun-loving side. She is temperamental, angering quickly but generally also working through the anger quickly. Because she values friends highly and would sacrifice greatly for them, she doesn't seek many out. After her train wreck of a social life in high school, she is reluctant to even think about a relationship deeper than friendship, let alone pursue one.

As much as Renata has come to hate being bullied, she despises seeing others bullied even more. Seeing people with advantages oppress those without flips many switches. So many people in her life have been that to her...some family...some 'friends...' and some even more. No more. Punching some random ass in the face when he gets happy hands feels like punching everyone who's ever thought they could force her to do, or be, something that she's not. It feels good.

Renata expresses herself first and best through action...she doesn't see herself as particularly good with words, though she is fond of a certain sarcastic wit. Her favorite kind of expression is music, and she keeps meaning to pick up the guitar, but between classes, martial arts, athletics and her job as a barista...who has time to learn to play a guitar?

Well, maybe if she gave up nightly face-punching...but that's expression too, right?

Quote:
"Hey congrats, I just signed you up for my Punch-Card promotion. You get ten punches, and the last one's free."

Powers/Tactics:
The people Renata fights are typically bigger and stronger than her, so she aims for elusiveness, waiting for the right moment to strike, and takes ruthless advantage of being underestimated.

NPC Contacts:
Thomas Hodges (father) - Now a senator in Utah, kind of a Romney with actual charisma. In my head he reminds me of the Mayor from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only without the demons. Probably.

Isabella Hodges (mother) - Beautiful, but fading a little in age, grew up rich and only sees that social circle; acutely aware of the 'game' of image and expectation and believes the only way to win is to play it best; genuinely hopes to convince Renata that 'opting out' is a terrible idea, even if it seems good now. Is in denial about a great many things. More deeply and genuinely religious than her husband.

Randall Hodges (older brother) - Big guy, handsome guy, genuinely respects his dad and seeks to follow his footsteps. Is actually harder-core on ideology than the more-pragmatic Thomas is. Has not forgiven Renata for screwing things up so much, and probably never will.

Zachariah Hodges (younger brother) - Quiet, tall, skinny, intellectual. The forgotten child, left to do as he pleases, because what he pleases does not attract attention. Is closest to Renata, but acutely conscious of how much she worries about him. Doesn't want to be a burden.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-27-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Background/History:
Okay, I imported the beefed-up background and am promoting Renata to the game thread! yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Just had a peek at the official sheet. The language has not been bumped up by that one point, which is what's missing to get it from 74 to 75. Beyond that it's ready.
All good! I just need a picture for him, and we're on to the game thread!

Quote:

+2 DEX
+2 CON
+5 INT
+2 PRE

-13 (martial arts)

Okay! Promoting to game thread!

And Runetide! I have a character sheet for you to look at and PLEASE make lots of corrections and suggestions as I was flailing a little bit, I think, to picture him. Oh, and I need a picture.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1080
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Quote:
I gave him some intelligence type stuff cause he reminded me of C.J Box’s Joe Puckett novels which has a western character who is constantly underestimated for his intellect. It’ totally makes sense to drop his intelligence to normal and drop Cramming (which allows picking things up quickly to just a familiarity level of skill) and raise his Dexterity. Animal friendship represents an intuitive connection with animals beyond training or experience that implies a natural, mutual comfort and ease in interactions with animals. It’s not necessarily the most efficient use of points but seemed to me to be a good catch all fit for his life on the ranch.
I like this, especially with his Presence being low. He looks like a no-account but isn't. If we can pluck one from Presence and add it to Ego or maybe pluck one from Intelligence and add it to Ego, I think it'd work. I just see him as more stubborn and insistent (though not arrogant or anything) than he is intelligent or even strong. Maybe we could pluck one from strength to add to ego instead. I don't know. Again, these numbers don't mean much to me yet.

But speaking of working, how does "Cramming" work, like mechanically? I just bought the book so I might be able to answer this soon.

Quote:
Riding is a step up from the Transport skill that lets you ride a horse in that you can control a frightened horse and get it to do things with you on it that it doesn’t want to do and normally wouldn’t do!
Perfect.

Quote:
A knife would be fine, and just requires the weapon familiarity to be able to use a knife in a fight without penalty. Also unlike a gun your character could wear a utility knife around without breaking the law.
Yeah... somehow I don't see Harry caring about what the laws are, not when it comes to what he sees as an essential freedom. Still, tangling with the cops when he doesn't have to seems like a bad idea. He'll probably carrying the pistol in a shoulder holster.

EDIT: All of that said, Animal Friendship still seems super expensive to me, although it is right per flavor. I looked this up. Tell me what you think. (Again, super-de-duper novice who doesn't understand basically anything.)

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by LinguaManiac; 06-28-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:51 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
How's the character thing going? I'm interested to see what Ivan turns out to be.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5369
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
right-aligned image

Name: Eugene Boysel
Profession: student
Financial need: Medical bills for mother

Background:
It's tough being the littlest kid. A precocious youngster, Gene had been skipped through kindergarden and then 6th grade by his single mom. That he didn't really get a growth spurt until age 17, his second year of college, meant that high school had been very lonely.

Gene just knew there was more that what he was learning. By sophomore year, Gene turned his research to the occult: tantalizing hints of a world beyond the simple math and science from school, references to books that didn't exist, existing "Necronomicons" that were pure shite. The goth pagans weren't any more helpful, with the wiccans wanting menstrual huts and the druids wanting to lionize Ayn Rand. The only blessings to Gene's mind were that Morgantown was a university town and that his mom was too busy to complain about his hair and makeup.

Smart enough to coast through a senior year of AP classes, Gene spent enough time in the university library to decide to double major in Anthropology and Religion. Despite his grades, he got into UCSD, and the first year was a dream come true. Gene even earned an internship with a professor "studying" urban shamanism of the US and Mexico boarder.

And then the sky fell. Mom finally admitted that she had been struggling with some unidentifiable illness. The house had been foreclosed on. And one evening, he and his professor were arrested by some strange government people.

One silver lining: Gene now knew magic was real, just illegal. And he also learned he might not have to finish his degree to get to start using it.

Basic Idea: Stargate's Dr. Daniel to everyone else's Colonels. Happy to tweak: maybe he finished his double PhD and is the one who got arrested.

Played 1st Edition, 2nd ed, 4th Ed, tried to play Fuzion but could never get a group together, bought a bunch of Hero 5th Ed books but never managed to play

Last edited by fuerdrake; 06-28-2019 at 04:48 AM.