RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7886
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
All good! I just need a picture for him, and we're on to the game thread!
Alright, did not know that was required. I don't always use pictures, but I included one in my app now.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 544
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Alright, did not know that was required. I don't always use pictures, but I included one in my app now.
Perfect! Thank you! I realized that I was going to need character pics as I was setting up the game thread, thanks again! I will add him to the game map and update the character sheet and then will be ready to start a solo game thread for Noah! I will update status in the table in the first post to this thread. It may be tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuerdrake View Post
right-aligned image

Name: Eugene Boysel
Profession: student
Financial need: Medical bills for mother

Basic Idea: Stargate's Dr. Daniel to everyone else's Colonels. Happy to tweak: maybe he finished his double PhD and is the one who got arrested.

Played 1st Edition, 2nd ed, 4th Ed, tried to play Fuzion but could never get a group together, bought a bunch of Hero 5th Ed books but never managed to play
Welcome, fuerdrake! I’m glad to have you! I like the concept of a scholar in an academic area suddenly being confronted with the reality of his theories in the flesh ala Dr. Daniel Jackson in stargate! One thing though (similar in fact to the true nature of his Egyptian gods being the Ga’ould) you should know that this game world is biased against magic being corruptive to the mortal soul and thus actually practicing it being for evil murder hobo NPCs. Just to set expectations at the beginning. So your background is fine as long as his exposure to magic is only theoretical and any encounter with real magic is saved for in play. Is that cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
How's the character thing going? I'm interested to see what Ivan turns out to be.
Hey Runetide! I have a first pass linked to the character name in the table in the top of the first post of this thread! Please let me know what you like and what you don’t as I am not sure I have a clear picture of him yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguaManiac View Post
I like this, especially with his Presence being low. He looks like a no-account but isn't. If we can pluck one from Presence and add it to Ego or maybe pluck one from Intelligence and add it to Ego, I think it'd work. I just see him as more stubborn and insistent (though not arrogant or anything) than he is intelligent or even strong. Maybe we could pluck one from strength to add to ego instead. I don't know. Again, these numbers don't mean much to me yet.

But speaking of working, how does "Cramming" work, like mechanically? I just bought the book so I might be able to answer this soon.

Perfect.

Yeah... somehow I don't see Harry caring about what the laws are, not when it comes to what he sees as an essential freedom. Still, tangling with the cops when he doesn't have to seems like a bad idea. He'll probably carrying the pistol in a shoulder holster.

EDIT: All of that said, Animal Friendship still seems super expensive to me, although it is right per flavor. I looked this up. Tell me what you think. (Again, super-de-duper novice who doesn't understand basically anything.)
Yeah let me know what you think of the latest sheet. I made updates and there aren’t points to do it all, so I went with better Dex for skills like riding and less intelligence. Not low just not high. A ten is solid for the general population. Ego is raised and ego DCV which helps mental powers to “miss “. I kept the animal friendship because it felt more core to the concept, but I will drop it if you’d rather use the points on something else. I read your link with interest and agree with the defender that the fact that it applies to all animals and animal handling categories justifies the expense, and I’m kind of a by the book guy to be honest. So no problem if you want to drop it.

Oh! And Cramming is a skill to get a familiarity level with another skill after a short study. Only one at a time.

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1025
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Quote:
Yeah let me know what you think of the latest sheet. I made updates and there aren’t points to do it all, so I went with better Dex for skills like riding and less intelligence. Not low just not high. A ten is solid for the general population. Ego is raised and ego DCV which helps mental powers to “miss “. I kept the animal friendship because it felt more core to the concept, but I will drop it if you’d rather use the points on something else. I read your link with interest and agree with the defender that the fact that it applies to all animals and animal handling categories justifies the expense, and I’m kind of a by the book guy to be honest. So no problem if you want to drop it.

Oh! And Cramming is a skill to get a familiarity level with another skill after a short study. Only one at a time.
Any reason that a 13 DEX is six points while a 13 for everything else is just 3 points? Am I reading that wrong?

And though I am in no ways a by the book kind of guy, I totally understand those who are. Let's keep animal friendship because I do think it's important to the core concept.

You might have already done this to find the points you were talking about, but if you haven't gotten rid of "Cramming" yet (I don't see it, but you didn't say you nixed it), let's get rid of "Cramming" and distribute the points to Intelligence. I don't really see him as a cramming sort of guy, but instead as a guy who believes 'If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well.'

Also, you said you raised Ego but I don't see that.

That sounds really finicky and ungrateful. I'm anything but. Thanks again for taking this all on.

I have taken the Oath
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Any reason that a 13 DEX is six points while a 13 for everything else is just 3 points? Am I reading that wrong?

And though I am in no ways a by the book kind of guy, I totally understand those who are. Let's keep animal friendship because I do think it's important to the core concept.

You might have already done this to find the points you were talking about, but if you haven't gotten rid of "Cramming" yet (I don't see it, but you didn't say you nixed it), let's get rid of "Cramming" and distribute the points to Intelligence. I don't really see him as a cramming sort of guy, but instead as a guy who believes 'If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well.'

Also, you said you raised Ego but I don't see that.

That sounds really finicky and ungrateful. I'm anything but. Thanks again for taking this all on.
Not at all! Yes, Dexterity costs 2 points to raise each point. And also I’m not fully min maxing for time and concept sake, but if hypothetically you had a clumsy character you could sell back Dexterity at two points each too.

I really appreciate your faith and sense of adventure in trying a new (Old) game system! Hmmm his ego was down to ten and now is thirteen. Characteristics rolls are targeted at 9 + (characteristics value divided by five), so values ending in three or eight tend to be efficient.

I did drop Cramming too.

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5216
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Quote:
you should know that this game world is biased against magic being corruptive to the mortal soul and thus actually practicing it being for evil murder hobo NPCs. Just to set expectations at the beginning. So your background is fine as long as his exposure to magic is only theoretical and any encounter with real magic is saved for in play. Is that cool?
I totally get that practicing "change the world" magic might be bad for the soul. What about shamanism? What about Catholic and Buddhist and Daoist protective magics? What about snake handling? (It has been a while, but I have actually studied Anthropology, "Curing in Multi-Ethnic Thailand", some Eliade (back when Anthro's were kind of cool with him), took a class, "Shamanism and Politics of the Exotica")

So maybe some magic (powered by the bad guys) corrupts the soul but some protective and healing magic only corrupts the mind. In general, shamans were viewed to be a little bit off in the first place. Kind of like the WWII psychologists saying that 6 weeks on the front lines induced some form of psychopathy 98% of soldiers. The 2% displayed psychopathy before going to the front lines.

You have to be a bit crazy to become a shaman, literally. Or to adjust an aphorism: you do have to be crazy to work here, but being only a little crazy helps.

Last edited by fuerdrake; 06-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I totally get that practicing "change the world" magic might be bad for the soul. What about shamanism? What about Catholic and Buddhist and Daoist protective magics? What about snake handling? (It has been a while, but I have actually studied Anthropology, "Curing in Multi-Ethnic Thailand", some Eliade (back when Anthro's were kind of cool with him), took a class, "Shamanism and Politics of the Exotica")

So maybe some magic (powered by the bad guys) corrupts the soul but some protective and healing magic only corrupts the mind. In general, shamans were viewed to be a little bit off in the first place. Kind of like the WWII psychologists saying that 6 weeks on the front lines induced some form of psychopathy 98% of soldiers. The 2% displayed psychopathy before going to the front lines.

You have to be a bit crazy to become a shaman, literally. Or to adjust an aphorism: you do have to be crazy to work here, but being only a little crazy helps.
I should make it clear that I am not trying to make any kind of real word statement about people’s belief system. Nonetheless it is a “feature “ of the setting (which is licensed from the Monster Hunter International novels) that the only humans casting magic are the bad guys, some of whom are former good guys who “thought they could handle it “ and were corrupted by their studies of real magic.

Honest, I run lots of games with casters and for that matter the author of the MHI books has written other series where magic was morally neutral like electricity. It’s just that in this particular game setting it’s not a neutral force but inherently corrupting due to the cosmology and source of magic in the game.

If you prefer to play a caster this game wouldn’t work for that; it’s a guns and stuff vs monsters type of game.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
I was perusing the source book. "Divination" is elf only? "Shamanism" is "orc"? They got the shamanism description pretty close to an animist world view needed for shamanism (as close as they got for describing guns). It's a shame that humans can't be shamans in this system.

I was hoping to play a counterpoint to the heavy gunners, maybe doing some "spirit projection" to gain info for the fighters, some curing spirit infections, maybe offer some anti-magic protection, in other words, mostly out-of-combat stuff with a little bit of in-combat assist.

And, of course, acting a little whacky, because shamans hear voices (of spirits).

All of that said, I do really want to play Hero System. Maybe a "part orc blood" shaman scholar? If you don't want that, maybe I could tweak the idea to be more of an Indian Jones type who is looking for more magic artifacts for MHI while the team is grabbing bounties?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I was perusing the source book. "Divination" is elf only? "Shamanism" is "orc"? They got the shamanism description pretty close to an animist world view needed for shamanism (as close as they got for describing guns). It's a shame that humans can't be shamans in this system.

I was hoping to play a counterpoint to the heavy gunners, maybe doing some "spirit projection" to gain info for the fighters, some curing spirit infections, maybe offer some anti-magic protection, in other words, mostly out-of-combat stuff with a little bit of in-combat assist.

And, of course, acting a little whacky, because shamans hear voices (of spirits).

All of that said, I do really want to play Hero System. Maybe a "part orc blood" shaman scholar? If you don't want that, maybe I could tweak the idea to be more of an Indian Jones type who is looking for more magic artifacts for MHI while the team is grabbing bounties?
You are tempting me!!

Not with a half orc (ew! In this setting orcs and elfs aren’t capable of reproduction with other races) And seriously, any magic items are going to be cursed big time!

I am tempted though to let you try playing an orc. The source goes into a fair amount of detail on them, and the fact that I would be running you in solo play could make it workable. But that would be a very different character than the highly educated scholar type you initially proposed. It sounds like your concept is more possibly a means to an end (magic) than a concept in itself (book study nerd suddenly thrust into face to face confrontation with the stuff he studies ala Dr. Jackson in Stargate)?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3089
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Quote:
Excellent! I realize this is a learning experience and once you begin actually playing you may want to discuss tweaking or improving things. In short I took the liberty of adding some expensive Talents that seemed appropriate for a veteran who survived multiple tours into combat theatres. He’s got a sixth sense for danger though it only about fifty fifty reliable and some defense that works like getting lucky when the bullets are flying.

So, are you up for trying him out in a solo thread!
Sure! That sounds great, I enjoy tutorials.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Well, the Lost Arc turned out to be pretty darn cursed against Nazis ( )

My goal is to try playing a brainy type in group of silverbacks. So in that sense, the concept is a means to a narrative end.

To keep the game fun, however, Gene needs something to do during combat, which even in PbP creates the most posts. I'm total cool with him taking a back seat to muscle types, but it would be cool for him to be able to do something that helps, something that makes him valuable to a group. I am hoping, even with solo play to start, we get into a group of some sort.

If we let real world theories of magic influence the game world just a little bit more: some shamans go completely crazy, some shamans go evil and start causing injury and bad luck rather then only healing, some shamans join evil chieftains to do evil to other tribes, cast the evil eye and whatnot. In the real world shamanic tradition, working with spirits is dangerous, necessary but dangerous. Disease spirits can kill the shaman or corrupt the shaman. So, even for the orcs, they would be keeping an eye out that their shaman isn't going sideways.

In the real world, shamans were also keepers of knowledge, along with bards and other types of priests, so that fits with the "magic is dangerous" idea. I'm less certain about the whole divination thing, but that was definitely one of the practices of more priestly magic than shaman magic.

So, maybe orcs are limited to shamanism and naturally good at, elves are limited divination and naturally good at it, but humans can do both as well as priest magic and Greek Philosopher medieval magics (like alchemy).

It's just that humans are more likely to go to the dark side than elves or orcs? And it's one thing to heal someone by chasing away some parasitic spirit but quite another, sanity and soul speaking, to use spirits to harm others?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Hey Runetide! I have a first pass linked to the character name in the table in the top of the first post of this thread! Please let me know what you like and what you don’t as I am not sure I have a clear picture of him yet.
Okay so it's been a while since I've stared at a HERO sheet, so forgive me if I'm rusty. I appear to be average in everything but slightly above average intelligence and presence. I have a bunch of skills that are 8-, which I believe means that I can succeed if I roll 3d6 and get an 8 or less, which is about what I figured would be great for someone who tried a smattering of things.

I don't remember what TF: Everyman skill means, so I could use a refresher on some of the terms. I actually like that he has so many professional skills that are decently rated.

Moving on to complications... Yep. That's exactly what I would have done!

Equipment... I don't know what the first one is. Is it a shotgun or something? The glock is fine but I feel Ivan would have something like a 44 revolver instead of a semiautomatic pistol.

Ivan doesn't have any particular high points, but he's not got any low points either. He'd be useful in a variety of situations.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Quote:
Not at all! Yes, Dexterity costs 2 points to raise each point. And also I’m not fully min maxing for time and concept sake, but if hypothetically you had a clumsy character you could sell back Dexterity at two points each too.
Yeah... let's keep it. Would a 13 Dex give him different parts of the action to go on? We still have him moving on phases 6 and 12 only.

Quote:
I really appreciate your faith and sense of adventure in trying a new (Old) game system! Hmmm his ego was down to ten and now is thirteen. Characteristics rolls are targeted at 9 + (characteristics value divided by five), so values ending in three or eight tend to be efficient.
This doesn't make sense to me. What I'm getting is this: 8+9=17, 17/5=3.4. Wouldn't we round that down to just 3? Compare to 9+9=18, 18/5=3.6, which, presumably, we'd round up to 4. The same is true of 13+9=22, 22/5=4.4, whereas 14+9=23... etc. etc., 4.6 rounded to 5.

So... my question is this: what am I missing?

Quote:
I did drop Cramming too.
Okay. Cool. We're on the same page then.

Finally, can we change the shotgun you gave me for a Winchester 1300? It's one of the "Specific Shotguns" listed in the book and it fits better with his character to my mind than a generic one.

Thanks again. I think Harry's almost ready to ride on into the game!

I have taken the Oath
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. What I'm getting is this: 8+9=17, 17/5=3.4. Wouldn't we round that down to just 3? Compare to 9+9=18, 18/5=3.6, which, presumably, we'd round up to 4. The same is true of 13+9=22, 22/5=4.4, whereas 14+9=23... etc. etc., 4.6 rounded to 5.
Wait...

Did you mean that it would be 9+(8/5)=11? And 9+(13/5)=12?

That makes more sense with what you said earlier, and, in that case, I understand it. But also in that case, let's drop presence to 8 and add those two points to Ego. (And let's do that only if we can add to his ego later on, which is how I'm assuming experience points work here.)

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by LinguaManiac; 06-28-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Wait...

Did you mean that it would be 9+(8/5)=11? And 9+(13/5)=12?

That makes more sense with what you said earlier, and, in that case, I understand it. But also in that case, let's drop presence to 8 and add those two points to Ego. (And let's do that only if we can add to his ego later on, which is how I'm assuming experience points work here.)
Yes sorry that was what I meant 9+(characteristic/5)= target skill number to roll less than for success. And yes that's exactly how experience works.

Quote:
Yeah... let's keep it. Would a 13 Dex give him different parts of the action to go on? We still have him moving on phases 6 and 12 only.

Okay. Cool. We're on the same page then.

Finally, can we change the shotgun you gave me for a Winchester 1300? It's one of the "Specific Shotguns" listed in the book and it fits better with his character to my mind than a generic one.

Thanks again. I think Harry's almost ready to ride on into the game!
All good! Speed is what determines how many actions ("phases) per turn, and it's expensive at 10 points to raise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Okay so it's been a while since I've stared at a HERO sheet, so forgive me if I'm rusty. I appear to be average in everything but slightly above average intelligence and presence. I have a bunch of skills that are 8-, which I believe means that I can succeed if I roll 3d6 and get an 8 or less, which is about what I figured would be great for someone who tried a smattering of things.

I don't remember what TF: Everyman skill means, so I could use a refresher on some of the terms. I actually like that he has so many professional skills that are decently rated.

Moving on to complications... Yep. That's exactly what I would have done!

Equipment... I don't know what the first one is. Is it a shotgun or something? The glock is fine but I feel Ivan would have something like a 44 revolver instead of a semiautomatic pistol.

Ivan doesn't have any particular high points, but he's not got any low points either. He'd be useful in a variety of situations.
Yay! All good, TF is transportation familiarity.

Quote:
Well, the Lost Arc turned out to be pretty darn cursed against Nazis ( )

My goal is to try playing a brainy type in group of silverbacks. So in that sense, the concept is a means to a narrative end.

To keep the game fun, however, Gene needs something to do during combat, which even in PbP creates the most posts. I'm total cool with him taking a back seat to muscle types, but it would be cool for him to be able to do something that helps, something that makes him valuable to a group. I am hoping, even with solo play to start, we get into a group of some sort.

If we let real world theories of magic influence the game world just a little bit more: some shamans go completely crazy, some shamans go evil and start causing injury and bad luck rather then only healing, some shamans join evil chieftains to do evil to other tribes, cast the evil eye and whatnot. In the real world shamanic tradition, working with spirits is dangerous, necessary but dangerous. Disease spirits can kill the shaman or corrupt the shaman. So, even for the orcs, they would be keeping an eye out that their shaman isn't going sideways.

In the real world, shamans were also keepers of knowledge, along with bards and other types of priests, so that fits with the "magic is dangerous" idea. I'm less certain about the whole divination thing, but that was definitely one of the practices of more priestly magic than shaman magic.

So, maybe orcs are limited to shamanism and naturally good at, elves are limited divination and naturally good at it, but humans can do both as well as priest magic and Greek Philosopher medieval magics (like alchemy).

It's just that humans are more likely to go to the dark side than elves or orcs? And it's one thing to heal someone by chasing away some parasitic spirit but quite another, sanity and soul speaking, to use spirits to harm others?
Hmm first know that I have been updating the recruitment post which currently reads:

"GM will post updates a minimum of twice a week and try for more. Recruiting Continually, my goal is to get as many people as possible familiar with Hero System, so solos will be normal rather than playing in a group together. Occasional Crossovers and Team-ups are possible when Players agree. We will begin creating characters as players post in this thread with a character description and are accepted.

Characters will need to have the following in their concept and background:

1) no prior first-hand experience with monsters
2) not be evil murder hobos
3) a real and urgent need for money
4) skills and or abilities that while mundane could conceivably allow them to survive in a kill or be killed, shock encounter with a monster

The game will be set in modern, contemporary San Diego, California, USA"

So please note your character will be in a solo game and responsible for his own survival, not one guy among a group.

I'm not sure what you're asking me about orcs and elfs and humans except to ask whether I am committed to using them with the rules as written, to which I'd answer, "Yes I am."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhald View Post
Sure! That sounds great, I enjoy tutorials.
Great! I think I have a story thread started for you already!

Last edited by HeroFan; 06-30-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Clarify, hopefully
Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7886
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Lots going on in this thread. Be sure to remind me when you've started a solo for me. I am not currently subscribed to the game folder (waiting for my customary invite into it pretty much).