RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The Order of the Hunters

Game NameThe Order of the Hunters
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeDark, survival, Supernatural
FlavourModern day swords and sorcery
Plot Summary
left-aligned image
When you watch a monster movie, from beginning to end, you believe it for the sake of the feeling it gives you, That feeling that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end then the sudden jump and gasp when the monster suddenly appears on the screen for the first time. When the movie ends, though, It's all over, You stop believing in monsters, because how could something like that exist in the real world. Dracula with his penchant for black-haired beauties named Mina, The Wolfman that turns into something between animal and man on the night of a full moon. Honestly, if these things really existed, the world wouldn't be such a safe place, now would it?

Fortunately, for most people, You go entire lifetimes without thinking otherwise, but for a select few, chosen ones, Also called 'Legacies'normally following bloodlines but on occasion being a random occurrence, are born with a strange birthmark that looks very much like a tattoo or brand and it marks them as Hunters, bestowing amazing abilities if only they learn how to unlock them. Luckily, for these chosen few, The hunters of all things supernatural that would threaten the existence of normal people and normal life, there is a place where they can learn these skills, The Order of Hunters. These select few, the ones that came before, seek out and train new hunters every generation. Unfortunately, disaster usually strikes these fledgling hunters as well, their marks drawing evil to them like magnets until they are unlocked.

You are one such chosen, the new generation of Hunters within the Order and having completed your training await the ceremony to become full-fledged hunters, worthy of fighting the darkness with unlocked marks and powers that no normal man can obtain. The night of the Ceremony always begins with the ritual bathing and baptizing of the applicants in Holy waters in order to make them pure, The the second is the ritual tattooing of the protective wards and marks that will protect a hunter from the devious tricks of monsters such as possession and glamour. Then comes the ritual binding where each new hunter makes an offering of blood to the Order, giving them the ability to communicate with their fellow hunters through a telepathic link. With the final ritual, the hunter abilities within their marks are unlocked through an incantation and in time and with each successful hunt, their powers will grow. With the ceremony complete, you are full-fledged hunters with your fellow graduates at your side and an entire library of lore at your disposal.

Details:
-I'll be taking 4-5 players
-The system will be 5e DnD but I will be borrowing Modern rules from a fellow DM.
-Starting level: 3rd
-Equipment: you start out with a individually determined set of equipment
-As far as race goes: You're all Variant or Basichuman with additional hunter abilities to be determined once you are chosen.
-Stats will be standard array per the PHB
-Deadline: Depending on player interest.

Application format:
Name:
Class:
Nationality:
Background: from Modern or Fantasy PHB
Personality traits:
Ideals:
Bonds:
Flaws:
Appearance: A paragraph or two describing what your character looks like plus a picture that represents them.
Personality:
Backstory:
RP Sample: How your character reacted to each part of the trial.

Username Character Class
Touketsu Artyom-Orlov Smart/Techie
Aria Alexander Desire Smart/Daredevil
Berith Ya Ping 'Jenny' Jiang Dedicated/Infiltrator
Savoylen Presley Long Strong/Bodyguard
Aoem Blake Emerson Dedicated/Wise-man
Fwalin Mcfundin Rhiannon Evans Smart/Field Scientist
Sarsprilla Zeana Gelding Charismatic/Personality

Last edited by Arthilian01; 07-11-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:07 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
OsirisRising
Ummm... peeks in through a hole in the door

This is rather interesting. Now, what do I do?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2435
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
@OsirisRising; now you need to think up a character which you would like to play in this game. Fill out the template above (Name, Class, Nationality, etc.), using the Modern Rules that Arthilian linked to. Pay special attention to the Appearance, Personality, Backstory and RP Sample sections since they will paint a picture of the character you are bringing to the game and help to distinguish them from the other applicants.

After a while Arthilian will look over the completed applications and will choose the four or five which he thinks will make the best group. I can't say for sure what aspects Arthilian looks for, but in general DMs seem to like interesting and well-fleshed-out characters.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
OsirisRising
Quote:
now you need to think up a character which you would like to play in this game
Thought so, but I feel I missed something, as I don't find where the story will take place and whether it is actually Earth or some other modern-ish setting.

ApplicationName: Pavel Sorlakoff
Class: Fast Hero + Field Medic (or maybe Dedicated Hero + Techie?) (or Daredevil???)
Nationality: Russian, but probably a second-generation immigrant somewhere
Background: Emergency Services
Personality traits:
Ideals:
Bonds:
Flaws:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory: Pavel is a ER helicopter pilot, getting his adrenaline rush from piloting, and his sense of connecting with people from helping others along the way. He is a basic medic, in case it is necessary, but he is mainly getting the team and the injured in and out. In his free time, he does Tai Chi as a way of winding down, frequently accompanied by his girlfriend, Marieta. They live in a small flat and are currently planning to buy a bigger one to accomodate an eventual family.
RP Sample: How your character reacted to each part of the trial.

Hmmm. I have a lot on my hands, and it seems a modern game does not inspire me so much, as I've had no brilliant ideas so far. Which means I'll withdraw from this. Much fun to you, guys!

Last edited by OsirisRising; 07-05-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
As to where this game is going to take place, Hopefully, different locations all over the U.S. for starters kinda like the 'Supernatural' TV series. It is a modern setting, 2019 except with all sorts of monsters that pop up and collide with the normal lives of people.

For what i am looking for in a character, Lazer is right, I like fleshed out characters that the player seem to know very well through their application. I like to see the character in the application just from reading the stuff.

Agh! forgot again to add this. Alongside your application, I would like a sizable picture that represents the appearance of your character.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
right-aligned image
Name: Ryan Cardinale
Class: Fast Hero
Nationality: American
Background: Blue Collar

Ideal: Bravery. I don’t like being afraid of anything.
Bond: I feel like I have a purpose. I just don’t know what it is.
Flaw: Bravado. Sometimes I’m too brave for my own good.

Appearance: Ryan is tall and lanky, with a toned musculature. He keeps his black hair short. He typically wears a leather jacket, with skinny jeans and black combat boots. He always carries a switchblade in his pocket.

Personality: Ryan is cocky and brash. He is not easily intimidated — even when he is intimidated, he is good at maintaining a cool, confident demeanor.

Background: Ryan Cardinale was born in 2000 in Springfield, Missouri. His father, Matthew Cardinale, was a respected detective (sergeant) in the Springfield Police Department. Due to extraneous work hours, Ryan did not see his father much and grew resentful of the man, as well as the police as a whole. During his teenage years, a young Ryan started wearing a leather jacket and earned a reputation as a hoodlum who would go out of his way to pick a fight. Ryan spent his nights at various underground hardcore scenes in Springfield. At the age of 19, he had already been arrested twice, once for weapon charges (carrying a switchblade) and once for aggravated assault (getting into a fist fight in the middle of a mosh pit). This made finding a job a very daunting prospect.

Ryan finally got a job as a dishwasher at the Hacienda, a small Mexican restaurant. One night, when his shift had ended, Ryan barged out the backdoor. His boss had reamed him out for being a few minutes late that day. And one of the dishwashers had broken down. He was in a hurry to get home and relax with a few beers. Firing up his old motorcycle, a '01 Honda Shadow, Ryan peeled out of the parking lot. The rear tire protested as it squealed against the pavement.

As he sped toward home, he began to notice that the streets around him were beginning to grow quiet. Too quiet. There was something almost surreal about the silence. On a Friday night, the city should have been bustling. But there was not so much as a living soul in sight. Finally arriving at the apartment complex where he lived, Ryan strolled carelessly into the foyer. That was when his nightmare truly began!

Laying crumpled on the floor was one of his neighbors, a young woman named Samantha. Crouched overtop of her was a middle-aged man whose clothes were saturated with blood. The murderer quickly stood up and stumbled drunkenly toward Ryan. The smell of rotted flesh assaulted his nostrils. Ryan backed away and ran for his bike. Starting it up, he sped back toward town. On his way down the road, several shadowy figures reached out with rotting hands, trying to grasp the passing motorist...

RP Sample: After his encounter with zombies in Springfield, Ryan was approached by the mysterious Hunters. He was told that one of his ancestors, an Italian adventurer during the Renaissance, had been a notorious vampire slayer. Somehow that legacy had carried up through his bloodline until it had reached him. Ryan thought the ritual bath was strange. But the ritual tattooing was more his style. He could explain the tattoos away if the need arose. The blood offering was the most freaky aspect. He was not sure that he wanted other people inside his head. But he was ensured that it was a necessary part of his initiation.

Last edited by Stormhammer; 06-25-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 365
Perdition Perdition Perdition Perdition
Leroy
right-aligned image

Name: Leroy Curtis Boudreaux
Class: Tough Hero/Techie
Background: Rural
Personality Traits: Self-Reliance, Integrity, Liberty.
Ideals: Ain't right to force people to your way of thinking. What's right for some ain't right for all.
Bonds: Family. His Grandfather.
Flaws: Leroy is often certain he is right, and occasionally indulges in hypocrisy.
Appearance: Leroy is a young man in his early 20's with brown hair and brown eyes. He typically wears a baseball or trucker's hat and t-shirt with jeans. He has a fondness for sweets, working on something and
Personality: Leroy
Backstory: For the record, Leroy never asked for any of this.
RP Sample:

Last edited by Perdition; 07-07-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
right-aligned image
Name: Rhiannon Evans
Nationality: Welsh
Class: Smart Hero/Field Scientist
Background: Technician
Traits: Rhiannon judges people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Rhiannon believes Nature is beautiful, and all people should respect nature.
Bond: Rhiannon is bound to Nature. She treads lightly on the world and seeks to preserve all life.
Flaw: Rhiannon will not abide cruelty in others. She will never allow it in her presence.

Appearance: 5' 5" tall, with short blonde hair and a trim figure, Rhiannon looks frail and weak when in normal settings. She habitually wears a white coat, jeans and a close fitting top at work, though she likes to wear skirts and dresses after hours. She loves the outdoors and is often found in wet weather gear collecting data on the field. She keeps the heart shaped birthmark on her left upper arm covered as much as possible as it has caused some strange reactions when she has allowed it to be seen.

Personality: Rhiannon is quiet and self contained. She enjoys being on her own and has a fascination in all things natural. She will stop in the middle of conversations to sniff a flower, or watch an insect, or photograph a rock formation and is often found with her head in a book (or electronic device). She is pleasant and friendly, but has only a small group of close friends, and has never had a serious boyfriend.Rhiannon has been drawn to the Hunters as her research has uncovered the truth that some of the myths she has read about are real; and she is fascinated as to know how these aberrant natural forms have come about. Something is warping the reality that Science has uncovered and she wants to know what that 'something' is'

Background: Rhiannon was born in Aberystwyth on the western coast of Wales and speaks Cymric (Welsh) and English with equal fluency. As a child, she lived in a small village on the coast just to the north of the town. She spent much of her time on the beach, and in the fields and woods, and gained a love, and extensive knowledge, of the local wildlife. Her mother told her tales of the Welsh legends and she looked for dragons, fairies and other supernatural beings for many years, but eventually her love of the legends was overcome by her growing scientific outlook on the world. The tales did engender in her a passion for Wales that exists to the present. She does not like being called English.
After completing her schooling, she gained a place at Oxford University to study Environment and graduated with a First before completing a PhD on the ecology of the rain forests in Sierra Leone. Extensive fieldwork in Africa increased her independence and proved that she is much tougher than she looks. It also brought her in contact with creatures from legend - the vampires of the Loma Mountains. She was warned about them and, one night in February 2018, she found herself assaulted in her tent by a being with extended incisors and fingernails. She fought it off with the help of her local guide and returned to Oxford, with a new fascination in the supernatural. If vampires could exist, maybe there were dragons in the hills of her homeland. In June she completed her Doctorate and moved to Berkeley to take up a post-doctoral position.

On arrival in the US, she was approached by a man who asked her about the Loma Mountains. After a couple of meetings, he told her about the Hunters and asked her if she would be willing to be initiated. She undertook training and has just been initiated.

RP Sample: The night of the Ceremony began with the ritual bathing and baptizing in Holy waters in order to make her pure. She had never been deeply religious but her childhood in rural Wales meant that she had attended chapel and Sunday school and had learned to pray. As she was going through this part of the ceremony, the hymns she has sung in chapel, and the fiery sermons of the preachers, came to her mind and helped her to feel ready. She descended into the waters with slightly cynical thoughts in her mind and arose with clarity in her mind - she was made to explore the supernatural and uncover its's secrets
When the ritual tattooing began she was shocked by the pain, but continued to pray and sing hymns to herself so that the pain was kept at bay. The stoicism with which she had learned to cope with the privations of work in the field helped her in this phase of the Ceremony. Throughout she kept quiet and drew upon the spirits of her ancestors to give her the bravery to so so. And as the tattoos were finished she stood, reborn as an avenger of ills, righter of wrongs and student of the supernatural
When she was called forward to make her offering of blood to the Order, she stepped forward and sliced her arm with the sharp blade with a bravery that surprised her.The oaths were made quietly but firmly, the conviction in her voice clear to all present and her passion for what she had been chosen to do evident. The feeling of the minds of the others around her was the reward for this act of self harm and the feeling of the changes within her when the incantation was made convinced her that she had begun a new phase in her life. One which would lead to the discovery of what the 'something' was.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; 07-07-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I lurk regularly so if you have any questions feel free to ask them!!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Does the game take place in 2019?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, modern day usa
Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1922
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Artyom
A R T Y O M - O R L O V
right-aligned image

Class:Smart Hero/Techie
Nationality: Russian
Background: Investigative
Appearance: Standing 5’11” and wire skinny, Artyom’s build is just unique enough to stand out. His thin physique is further emphasized by a gaunt face, with black, messy hair hair and dark brown eyes that betray nothing of the thoughts behind them. His skin, while not unhealthy, is certainly pale; a result of hours spent indoors, pouring over data on a computer screen. Artyom bows slightly when he walks, almost unconsciously, perhaps in an attempt to compensate for being slightly above average height.

His wardrobe choices are somewhat limited and highly dependent on what he is doing. In the day to day routine, Artyom has a very white-collar style; black pants, white button-ups, and a whole collection of seemingly identical ties. His street clothing, on the other hand, is loose and baggy. When out on the job, Artyom wears a ball cap and hoody to conceal himself, boots, and large cargo pants that hold his various tools while helping to hide his build. Years running surveillance have taught the man precisely how to avoid being identified in public after all, and being easy to describe is a major no no.
Backstory

Personality

Roleplay

Last edited by Touketsu; 07-01-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 134
Paul7926 Paul7926
<<<application withdrawn: Not going to have the time I'm afraid>>>

Last edited by Paul7926; 07-10-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
GreatCthulhu
Matthew Ross

Name: Matthew Ross
Class: Tough Hero/Soldier
Background: Military
Personality traits: I always have plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideals: Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever. (Good)
Bonds: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaws: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.
Appearance: 6'1"; strong but not hulking; reddish-brown hair and beard, all in need of a trim; clothes are well-used.
Personality: A kind man at heart, a natural protector, but suffers from the effects of PTSD and some depression. Does not trust easily, but once he does, his trust is hard to break. Not concerned with what people think of him, for the most part. Proud of his service.
Backstory: Matt was an average student, and a decent athlete. He came from a nuclear family, in a home where military service was valued (Dad was Army, Panama and the first Gulf War; uncle was Army, tail-end of Vietnam; both grandfathers were Navy, WWII and Korea). Graduated from high school at 17, and got his parents to sign the papers and let him join the Marines. Boot at Parris Island, School of Infantry, then spent six years active. Three tours in Iraq, first as a rifleman, eventually a fire team leader, then a rifle squad leader. Honorably discharged as a Sergeant, E5. Qualified as Expert with the M4 assault rifle and the M9 9mm pistol, black belt in MCMAP. Difficulty adjusting to civilian life once he returned. Bored, restless, difficulty sleeping and nightmares. Drifted from job to job, mostly physical labor, security, bouncing... but none of it meant anything to him, because it all seemed so petty compared to what he'd experienced over there. One night, just over a year after he got out, he was in an altercation at a bar called 'The Dump' (it was not an ironic name), which spilled into the parking lot. One of the fighters was ridiculously strong for his size, but leverage is leverage, and a hip throw that landed him head first on the concrete sent him running (...so fast) for the alley alongside the bar. When it was over, an old biker came over to Matt and started a conversation. By closing time, he'd been told of Hunters, people who fight things from horror films, and he'd agreed to undertake the training, knowing that for the first time since he left the service, something felt right inside him.
RP Sample: More ink? S'fine. It'll fit in with what I've already got. Blood? I was military. They collected samples of everything but my s***, so I guess that's fine, too. But bathing in holy water? I'm no holy roller. Never been much for the God Squad. But if it's that or more taking knives away from drunk idiots... fine. But I hope you don't expect me to believe, because... after what I've seen, that train left the station, and it ain't coming back.

Hunter's Mark - birthmark just above the knee on his right thigh.

My home game is with most of the members of the Monte Cook Games team, so I've had a lot of exposure to Cypher.

Last edited by GreatCthulhu; 06-27-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
As a side note, where is each person's Hunter's mark? Note it in your application somewhere.