RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 10:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13116
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
I always have horrendous luck when I roll ability scores, its like the dice gods have suddenly rejected my existence and I average a negative point buy
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1347
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
I always have horrendous luck when I roll ability scores, its like the dice gods have suddenly rejected my existence and I average a negative point buy
This has happened to me before. Choose 15 pt buy or roll 3d6... get all 4's and 5's...
Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1466
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
I've put a tentative deadline up, though that may be subject to change.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
July 8th is way out there! I hope you won't have to choose between like 12 people when that time comes...

Old 06-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
The more the merrier, gives you options, I know I am looking at a bard archaeologist type character myself over the next daybor two if I dont get sucked into some Canada day celebrations.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
@ OneDarkness - Go for it.

@ DrowNinjaPrincess - Given my schedule with work next week, that'll be the best time for me as there is a very busy week coming up.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Sure, the more the merrier, usually. Alas, only 4-5 characters shall be selected.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5327
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
-~ ~ Cookie ~ ~
right-aligned image

~ "It's not filth, It's Flavor"! ~

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (NOT Chaotic Stupid)
Class: Witch (Gingerbread Witch)
Race: Goblin (w/ Eat Anything)
Reason for Hire: Settler (Craft: Cook)(Would have gone with Servant but those 5 recipes are just too tempting. Plus Hut + Cooking Pot = Cookie's Kitchen )

Traits: You gain a +1 trait bonus on Stealth checks, and Stealth is always a class skill for you.Silent Hunter, Bandit (Profession: Cook/Intelligence)(I have no idea why they call it this when Choose one Profession skill and one ability score other than Wisdom. You add that ability score's modifier in addition to your Wisdom modifier on checks with the chosen Profession skill.looking at the description of the trait)
Drawback: Attached (Meat Cleaver)

Description: ---------------------->

Personality: Many look at Cookie as if he were just another goblin; stupid, chaotic, and dangerous. This however couldn't be further from the truth as Cookie is quite intelligent and reasonably wise even if his values and 'common sense' are still a little bit removed from the standards of 'civilized' cultures. To Cookie food is everything but not in an excessive, glutenous fashion as some of his fellow Goblins. To Cookie taste and the experience there in, is the most important cornerstone of his life. From the lowest of stone to the highest quality of meat every thing in this world has taste; some good, some bad but to Cookie there is nothing that can't be made delicious with the right skill and spices. While some quest for gold or honor or fame, Cookie quests for those ultimate tastes and the ingredients that make them.

Although an outcast within civilized lands due to his race Cookie still chooses to live among humans as it is in these civilized areas that cooking might be treated as the art form that it is and where the skill needed to create masterpieces can be appreciated; even if they are slightly more picky about there diets then Cookie himself. Racism may run deep within these areas but just as it takes a slow cook to bring out the true soul of some foods Cookie is confident that if he sticks to his convictions the people will eventually accept his cooking even if they choose not to accept him. That however doesn't matter as, to Cookie, the food that he cooks is by far a more true representation of himself then his skin. Besides, goblin and human society are not all that much different; Cookie having been beaten and abused by both races for little more reason then that the people doing so wished too.

What Cookie needs is the right ingredients and recipe, something so delicious that people will only see his skills as a chef rather then be blinded by petty stereotypes. To do that however he needs resources; tools, ingredients, and money which is why, this early in his journey as a master chef, there is little that he will not do for the right price. Whether it's butchering, tracking wayward children/baby animals, making cures for hang overs, or offering occasional healing cheaper then a priest; Cookie will do it all. That said he understands how civilized races have these pesky things called laws which he has to be careful with. The last thing he wants is to be chased away again because of cultural discrepancies so he has to be very careful.

Ideally Cookie could work for some person or group as a cook, employers who will gain access to delicious ingredients which Cookie could experiment with. A group of trouble shooters employed by a local Big Boss seems ideal as their jobs would not only allow them to explore the islands but it would also allow Cookie to show off his talents to a potential patron who might employ Cookie in the future.

History:

Unique Goal: Cookie's dream is to either own a fine restaurant of his own where people come from great distances to enjoy his creations or to be the personal chef to the highest of nobility. To achieve this he must expand his knowledge of culinary truths and the secrets of ingredients; tasting and experimenting with everything he might come across. Then, when he is ready to retire, he will travel the land to sample all of the restaurants he comes across to gift upon them his criticism and help them overcome their limitations as chefs; all while protected by delicious Food Golems (They Exist! Look up the Calzone and Butter Golems )

Three Trivia Tidbits:
- Despite what many people believe Cookie does not, in fact, eat humans. HE HAS, Absolutely, but Cookie understands that 'civilized' people become very 'touchy' when the idea of eating their own kind comes up. Cookie doesn't really understand why some people are so sensitive about this idea, after all some people eat monkeys and they taste very similar to humans, BUT he does realize that unless he wants to be chased away or killed like his first teacher he CAN"T EAT PEOPLE. That's fine though as there are plenty of other types of meats he can experiment with and enjoy.
- Cookie has attempted to speak Common in a variety of 'accents' before (French, Italian, etc), despite not actually speaking the language these accents came from, because, at the time, he though they made him sound more like a high class chef. He has since given up on this idea but sometimes mixes old phrases or pronunciations into his normal speech by accident. Unfortunately, because it's all just a chaotic mix it comes across more confusing then cultured.
- Cookie didn't recieve his name because of his chosen profession but instead from the fact that his first teacher use to call him Emergency Cookie Ingredient, or Cookie for short.
Familiar
left-aligned image
~ ~ Menchi ~ ~
(AKA. Emergency Food Rations)

Race: Gingerbread Bat Valet Familiar

Description: Made in the form of a tasty treat, Menchi has been a companion of Cookie only for a short time; a little after he had arrived on the island. In need of assistance but unable to gain it from the locals who still didn't trust him, Cookie used a technique he had learned from his first teacher to create one. Shaping it into the form of one of the first animals he hunted and ate himself, Menchi may one day be used as just another treat but for now he is a valuable assistant.

Last edited by taleteller50; 07-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:55 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Question: Will Cooking be dealt with as a Profession or as a Crafting Skill? Normally it's a profession since people usually just use it to make money but with the introduction of the Special Ingredients it might be closer to a Craft now.

Also, would a Cleaver count as a knife or a hatchet?

Last edited by taleteller50; 06-28-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1347
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
In my games they had the same stats as a medium sized goblin slicer... but that's my games and I'm not the gm. I think the official AP's I've been in treat them as improvised daggers or handaxes.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:28 AM

Tools
User Statistics
@taleteller50 - I've mulled over this a bit, and I think it does seem more like a Craft skill, especially if we apply the meaning of intelligence (learned stuff) vs wisdom (ability to intuit). What I'll do is make it a Profession (Cook) check to discover new foods, and a Craft check to actually make them. I'll also adjust Settler so both of those are class skills.

Also, with the cleaver, I would use the stats for a Great Cleaver, then dip them down two size levels to indicate that they're not really weapons, but implements.
Meat Cleaver Cost DMG (Small) DMG (Medium) Critical Range Weight Type Special
Stats 4gp 1d3 1d4 x3 10ft 2lbs S +1 to Profession {Cook}
Old 06-29-2019, 10:03 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't worry about adjusting the Settler background as every pc class has Profession and Craft as Class skills. They're one of the only real universal ones. Only one class doesn't receive Profession and that's Barbarians.

Last edited by taleteller50; 06-29-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Darn it Cookie is going for Chef, was going to do something similar but will shift gears slightly, an amusing read though Taleteller
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks Darkness. Still working on him tho. Give 'em a look when he's actually finished
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 409
MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise
Ayiesha

Application!Name: Ayiesha Olesia Nadera-Janin.
Alignment: Neutral Good.
Class: Shaman.
Race: Slyph
Traits: Child of the Streets.
Reason for Hire: Prisoner: You were imprisoned within the Tanqueax Republic for a crime you may or may not have committed. Jail was rough to you, and you had to be rough to survive. One day, news of this dangerous expedition reached your jail, and because of your skills you were given over to Lady de Callier. Either you would serve the Republic well enough to earn your freedom, or you would die a gruesome death in the jungle and save the Republic the expense of your execution.
Benefit: Lady de Callier has an Unfriendly Attitude towards you at the start of the game. You start the game with -25% less gold. You have a +2 Dodge bonus to your AC OR +1 to all saving throws.

Link to picture because for some reason it won't show up as an image: https://imgur.com/L9UKd9H
Description: Ayiesha is a slim young woman with cinnimon coloured skin, marked with strange light blue marks. She has none of the marks on her face, which pleases her. Her hair is a light blue as well, but she covers it with a hijab, both for modesty and to hide her djinni heritage. She enjoys dressing in her favourite colour (blue,) because it reminds her of her grandfather.

Personality: Ayiesha is not your friend. Not that she doesn't want to be, just that she isn't. She's evil, or at least she thinks she is. Not that she wants to be, but you can't change what you are. In her perspective, she's the worst person you'll ever meet. She's wrong of course, Ayiesha is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet, and probably one of the sweetest people anyone you know will meet. Her time in prison didn't change her, it only changed her perception of herself. After being told she was guilty so many times, she started to believe it. After all, she was in jail, and jail was for criminals. So she had to be a criminal, right?

Ayiesha is reserved in both speech and manner, preferring to listen over talk. When she does talk it is quiet but meaningful, not that she thinks you trust her. But she mostly listens, weather you want her to or not. And what she hears, her "evil" nature makes into plans. Like if she hears someone's favourite food, she'll make it for them! Why? Just because! She absolutely cannot keep a secret, whispering it to strangers or those she trusts. The only secret she keeps is her race, for fear of being thought of as even more evil than she already definitely is.

Ayiesha's hobbies include eavesdropping, running races, singing, traveling, and endlessly apologising for being so awful. Her favourite season is autumn, she likes it when the leaves change colours. She doesn't like when people ask too many questions, even though she does.

History: Most slyphs are born of a Djinn and a member of another race. However, the Djinn who's blood runs within Ayiesha is her Grandfather. A once powerful Vizer Djinn who was captured by her grandmother (a young human trapped in an unhappy marriage,) Odoj and her grandmother fell in love. Their only child was Ayiesha's father, a half-genie named Sasham. Such had it that the third generation of children would be human enough to call sylph. After having 3 children, Sasham and his wife were killed by Odoj but no evidence was left behind, other than that the breath had been sucked from their lungs. Odoj had been banished from the plane of air 30 years before for not only murdering people, but for consorting with daemons who eventually gave him the power to consume the souls of innocents killed in a ritual to give him more power. The souls had to be from males with his bloodline, such were the limits, but each one gave him so much more power.
Ayiesha and her older brothers Manjiol (Manji,) and Tamik had a nice early childhood living with their grandfather. They scampered around the river splashing eachother and eating picnics. Things changed when Tamik turned 10 years old. Odoj called him into the tower for a special coming of age ritual, and his siblings never saw him again. When it was time for Manji to complete his ritual, he decided to run away with Ayiesha. She was confused and scared, but she did as she was asked, such was her capacity for love. She couldn't distrust family, and while she wasn't sure why they were running away, it was just another game for her. They spent quite a few years in the city stealing to survive and sleeping on the tops of buildings. But just as the once noble Vizer Odoj fell from grace and turned to evil, the once kind elder brother discovered his lust for souls as well.
Ayiesha had no idea her brother was a dual-bloodline sorcerer, or even a sorcerer at all. But when he brought her to the guards and told them that she was a murderer, she believed him. Oh how noble her brother was, turning in his own blood for evil deeds! She spent quite a few years in prison, and each day solidified her belief that she had done all of the crimes.

Unique Goal: Ayiesha's goal is to reunite her family. She wants to make up to her brother for "her" crimes, and remedy whatever "falling out" her brother had with her grandfather. Everything she does is for the love of them, although she doesn't know that they both have their own sinister uses for her.

Three Trivia Tidbits (optional):
1. Ayiesha is allergic to nuts.
2. Ayiesha likes to draw birds.
3. Ayiesha thinks all halflings are thieves because there sure were a lot of them in jail!

Last edited by MurderInParidise; 07-02-2019 at 02:50 PM.