RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8328
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Name: Sslak

Alignment: Lawful good.

Class: Gunslinger

Race: Kobold

Traits: Fixer

Reason for Hire: Prisoner (ac)

Description: A steel colored kobold with the ever present smell of black powder and gun oil emanating from him, almost enough to overcome the thick pall of tobacco smoke that follows him everywhere. Sslak is not like most of his kin, he doesnt act furtive, he doesnt cower, he walks tall and his eyes always meet those he speaks with. His voice has none of the quavering his kin have when speaking with others despite the high pitch and rapid fire words.

Personality: In his youth Sslak would have been best described as naively idealistic. Despite how many viewed him he was convinced he just needed to prove them wrong and over time they would have to accept him. He went out of his way to alleviate the suffering of others and make the world a better place and sacrificed much to make life easier for others.

After his imprisonment Sslak changed drastically. His ideals remained the same but he has seen too much in prison to think those ideals would actually be able to come to light in the current world. In prison he has taken the role of defender of the weak. While he is not a strong man few are willing to fight with the kobold, his speed and ferocity make sure that any fight with him isnt worth the price.

His time in prison has also accentuated his natural kobold cleverness. He has learned to craft rudimentary weapons and has made a decent trade in it, giving weapons to those who dont have the natural strength of arm to fight without them in exchange for a steady supply of tobacco. For all his suffering from being falsely imprisoned he still believes that the rule of law is sacred and sees this adventure as the only legal way to get out of his current situation.

History: Born in the mountain warrens of his tribes ancestral home Sslak grew up hearing the glory of his tribe, how in the great nest purges of the third century his people alone held out the gnomish aggressors. The kobolds knew that using their superior speed to harry the gnomes and being able to prepare the ground beforehand would lead to a war of attrition that the gnomes could not continue to afford and they were right. Unlike many tribes the Iron Scales had long ago joined the world in trade and it was not uncommon for Sslak to meet humans, dwarves, goblins, and orcs all in the same day as his peoples nest sits in the tunnel pass that provides the easiest route through the Breel Mountain Range.

To keep the peace the kobolds had long ago invested in extensive fortifications and any who break the peace are likely to find a spear puncturing them from unseen slits in the walls, floors, and ceilings. More horrifying still if a threat is large enough they may have the kobolds send one of their Enforcers to catch them, a tribe of trolls that integrated into the Iron Scales many generations ago in exchange for magically enchanted armor that prevents the trolls from suffering the ravages of fire and acid alike whose primary weapon is their enchanted manipoles that cause wracking pain on any enclosed within.

It was durring a trip to a nearby city market that Sslak's life was ruined.

The InterviewAs the woman came in she could barely see through the thick pall of cigarette smoke. The origins. Bright cherry lit up the right side of an iron scaled kobold that managed to have a snear on his face before she took her first step into the interrogation room the prison guard had dragged him into.

"Heard you are hiring folks to go to the Paku Isles and I'd like to volunteer." The woman looked noticeably uncomfortable, most people where when they realised Sslak spoke to them as an equal. "I see here you are in here for murder, do you think you can reign in your bloodlust and aim it at the enemy?" The kobold took another drag and lit up his face, the fire seeming to dance within his eyes.

"I am no murderer. A lord shot his wife in an alley, I saw it and held him up while authorities arrive but when they got there they took one look at me and decided I was guilty while that wife killer got to walk away. The guards went a step further when they got me here, said they didnt want anyone to ever think I was anything more than a beast ever again." Sslak turned his head and moved the cigarette to the cheek now facing the woman, drawing in to light up the wreckage that was the left side of his snout. The skin covering his fangs had been torn back to reveal the two inch incisors and the needle like teeth behind it. "Guess they did a good job of it. That doesnt matter though and I will make this nice and easy, put a gun in my hand, armor on my back, and get out of my way. If something needs killed I will put it down, if talking needs done and its folks who wont listen to me I will get out of the way. I want out of here but I want to do it the right way, you make that possible so do we have a deal or do I need to start digging a tunnel?"

Unique Goal: Sslak wants to earn his freedom so he can go home and live his life without keeping an eye over his shoulder for the rest of his life.

Three Trivia Tidbits: 1:Sslak's favorite food is a a heavily seasoned underground fish found near his home, second is carrots.
2: The little kobolds constant smoking is actually done for a specific purpose, when he was learning how to use a gun from one of his homes most respected adventurers the older kobold told him to always keep a cigar or cigarette lit so that he would have an emergency source of fire.
3: Sslak will always pick up any piece of metal he comes across and can be a bit of a hoarder but it's for a purpose, a bullet doesnt have to be pure hardened steel to be effective.

Last edited by MundayKnight; 07-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1291
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Just to double check, is there anyone who's complete that I've not marked down
Old 07-02-2019, 04:39 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4600
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Cookie is done and I welcome any critique.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Cookie is an interesting character! I can only hope pixie is off the menu.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 409
MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise
I'm completed. Good luck to everyone!
Old 07-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3559
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
That completely reminds me, I've still got to finish up Volen. Only personality left to do, I should be able to get that fixed up tomorrow. Does anyone have some tips for writing up a good personality? I could probably use some...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Pixie itself will be off the menu as you are a part of the 'civilization' Cookie is trying to fit into but he might ask you for some pixie dust to test as a seasoning 'Tinker Bell'
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think you'll find that Phoebe is anything but civilized. And if you do that, the look you'll get is as if you asked someone if you could gather up their dandruff to taste the flavor...

aaaand I bet I just gave you a really nasty idea, didn't I?

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; 07-02-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:31 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I just appreciate someone else watched Excel Saga. Kudos from me, Taleteller.

Last edited by Runetide; 07-03-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I was bored so I did this.

Application 2Name: Phillipe Swifte

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Class: Alchemist (Aquachymist)

Race: Human

Traits:
  • Fast Talker - You had a knack for getting yourself into trouble as a child, and as a result developed a silver tongue at an early age. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Bluff checks, and Bluff is always a class skill for you.
  • Upstart Entrepreneur - You started a successful business in your recent past, and as such have access to many resources. Starting wealth increased to 900 gp.

Drawback:
  • Vainglory - You compulsively seek recognition for your deeds, making it hard to act with subtlety. You take a –1 penalty on Bluff, Disguise, and Stealth checks, and the save DC of any illusion you create is 1 lower than normal.

Reason for Hire: Sponsor - Phillipe always had a knack for inventing things, or at least he thought that to himself. As a famed alchemist all throughout the Tanqueax Republic, there is hardly a peasant who hasn't heard of his creations, lowly and petty as they may be. In truth, Phillipe was more of a talker, a businessman, and one who got his formulae onto the shelves of other merchants and in the cries of heralds, but at heart he always felt he was a pioneer in the art of alchemy. After hearing of the Paku Isles and Lady Pierra de Callier's expedition, he practically begged her to come along, partially financing the journey and eager to get his feet wet.

Description: A somewhat tall, and also somewhat brawny man, Phillipe isn't a bruiser nor an athlete, but what really draws one's attention is his winning smile and charm. Even though his looks may be about average, with wide cheeks and a squat nose, it's his facial expression that says he's happy to see you and eager to do business and talk alchemy, which makes all the difference in the world.

His hair is short and slicked over in a debonair fashion, and usually when in the lab the shine is accompanied by large, thick, and strange-looking glasses he wears to protect his eyes. Though he can dress finely, he is typically known for wearing his common clothes and his work clothes around in public and when promoting his wares. He takes a certain pride in the look, having emblazoned his own personal crest upon the breast.

Personality: Phillipe's personality is overwhelming. He loves small talk but even more than that he loves to get down to brass tax. Almost always smiling, he knows that a good smile is the key to success in life and business. When on the road, at the tavern, in the lab, or even all by himself, he's just about always talking.

What does he love talking about most? His prized alchemical creations. He loves talking about all his experiments and the things he has created, and what's more, all the unique ways you can use those alchemical compounds. He's famous for carrying around vials of the stuff and giving live demonstrations. In fact, he just loves demonstrating to get the 'oohs' and 'aahs' from a crowd, even more than their coin!

History: Phillipe was just the son of a lowly tanner and glue maker, but he knew he was destined for greatness at an early age. He snuck into the local library often, thirsty for knowledge, but unfortunately he couldn't read very well. So eventually, he broke into a wizard's lab and dabbled with the chemicals there, oblivious to the extreme danger he could be causing. Miraculously, when the wizard hurried to his lab, he did not find the place blown up and ashes of a dead child, but found the boy holding a particularly dark and viscous material in a flask, with its contents spilled all over the lab. The wizard was impressed and allowed the boy to stay for a few weeks, on account of being permanently affixed there now, and needing to figure out how to dissolve the substance.

Eventually the wizard figured out how to free Phillipe, and in that time was given a harsh reprimand by both his parents and the wizard, and cursed with a big nose, but in the meantime Phillipe learned a lot about alchemy. Returning home with new resolve, Phillipe was determined to recreate that substance, of which not even universal solvent could remove.

With laser-like focus, Phillipe studied and saved and experimented, and even begged for the help of the old wizard he bothered before. Eventually he got the creation process down. And the rest, of course, is history! At least, in terms of building up his business empire. Many of Phillipe's exploits have involved finding practical or even impractical uses for his alchemical creations, and he has specialized in marine applications, even going so far as learning how to sail so he can better showcase his wares.

Unique Goal: Phillipe's goal is to build up his business empire and have it spanning across the world. Everyone will know of his ingenious creations and pay hand over fist for them! But first.. first he's got to find something very special on the Paku Isles he can use to create his next big masterpiece.

Three Trivia Tidbits:
  • Phillipe's first alchemical creation is stronger than alchemical glue, waterproof, easier to use, cannot be dissolved by universal solvent, and is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
  • Phillipe sawed an entire boat in half once.
  • A fleet admiral has acclaimed Phillipe as the best pirate he's ever seen.

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; 07-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9062
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
Heh, I swear I started working on this character this morning before seeing DNP's alchemist app

Name: Lexaleaus “Lex” Lindstrom

Alignment: Neutral Good

Class: Alchemist (Trap Breaker variant)

Race: Tiefling (Light From The Darkness and Prehensile Tail alternate racial traits if allowed)

Traits: Meticulous Concoction

Reckless

Naive (Drawback)

Reason For Hire: Scholar

Description:

Most people seeing Lex in the halls of the Grand Tanqueax University for the first time would be hard-pressed to believe that the Lindstrom family had, in their past, been a group of fiend summoners and consorted with the most evil denizens of the lower planes. Afterall, the tall, gangly young man running full-tilt between rooms, usually with a bag full of alchemy tools and formulae slung over his shoulder, seemed as normal as could be…At least until a stumble that would have sent him sprawling face-first onto the floor is halted by a long, red-scaled tail appearing as if from nowhere and wrapping itself around a nearby light fixture to steady himself.

Lex’s fiendish heritage is not immediately obvious, as he usually keeps the most obvious sign of it tucked away beneath a battered red leather jacket that the young Alchemist always seems to be wearing, regardless of the weather or season. As such, he seems like any other young academic (albeit, one with a tailhole tailored into most of his pants) and the pale complexion that goes along with someone who spends most of his days inside a classroom or laboratory. His light-blonde hair is normally uncombed and in a messy pile atop his head. The young man’s handsome face is usually set in either a faraway look into the distance or, if busy with anything alchemy-related, etched into a wide, enthusiastic (and some would say manic) smile. The only other stand-out regarding his appearance is the fact that he never goes anywhere without a large bag slung over his shoulder, which contains all his alchemical tools and compounds, and two criss-crossing belts over his hips that have multiple loops for holding his creations.

Personality: Lex is often described as “Curious”, “Exuberant” or “That pain in the rear” depending on whether you’re talking to a fellow academic scholar or his, his friends (well, friend) or one of the long-suffering members of the Board of Regents of the university after hearing about the young prodigy’s latest disastrous experiment. Lex seems to have an insatiable appetite for knowledge that seems to only grow the more he learns, and unlike most scholars who are working towards some sort of end goal – money, fame or the greatest prize of all, tenure – the young Tiefling seems happy to just do it for knowledge’s sake. Unfortunately, this does also mean that much of what he does seems pointless to those who favours the more practical side of academics. His normally rapid pace of talking becomes almost unintelligible when confronted with a new discovery and this usually bleeds through and reveals a second trace of his fiendish heritage – his eyes have a bad habit of flashing blood red when he does this, which when coupled with a rather big grin, gives him a very unnerving appearance.

A diametric opposite to the stuffy, studious sort one would expect from academia, Lex is a sunny, friendly young man who tackles his studies and projects with a limitless amount of enthusiasm, whether it be something as simple as devising a new alchemical formula or as grand as the Annual Alchemical Science Exposition. Neither does this enthusiasm fade when he is working on something he has done hundreds of times before, as he believes one has never finished learning and that even the mundane can sometimes surprise you. While he considers himself an alchemist through and through, he has a pronounced interest in other fields of study, crafting and magic, believing that all these disciplines can learn something from the other – knowledge is something to be cherished and shared, not locked down jealously by scholars.

Lex normally hides his rather flexible tail under his jacket, not out of shame for his heritage – he honestly has no problem with where he came from, or if others might look down on him for it – but more because the red limb sometimes appears to have a mind of its own. Whether this is true, or it is just expressing its owner’s true feelings on a subject (from a dismissive waving gesture, to pocketing another offered sweet after having already reached the limit polite society has placed on how many you should have, to once having swatted the rear of an attractive colleague at a work function) Lex has found that he tends to have less trouble when it’s kept out of sight.

While a seeker of knowledge first and foremost, Lex is not a pacifist by any stretch of the imagination and is more than willing to defend himself. This extends to those around him as well – the only thing Lex values more than knowledge is the safety of those he cares for and considers friends. Hurt or threaten them, and he will be more than happy to demonstrate his rather explosive skillset up close and personal.

History:

Unique Goal: Lex is unaware of the real reason why the Board of Regents of the university had sent him on the expedition to the Paku Isles, but his argument was that he had found several texts in the library that pointed to the Isles as the location of the resting place of Gregor Alhazerd, the very first true alchemist, who, legends say, was not bound by the rules and restrictions of modern alchemy and was free to manipulate and transmute substances as he saw fit – a power that could usher in a new golden age for Tanqueax, and the craft of alchemy…Though Lex’s interest is purely academic, and he would love to be the one to find the originator of his craft.

Three Trivia Tidbits:

- Lex’s first practical use of Alchemy was when he was seven and rendered one of his friend Amelia’s bullies bald using a mixture that, to this day, he refuses to reveal…Mostly because he doesn’t think any other 7-year-olds should be creating hair dissolving dust using the contents of 1st grade arts and crafts class.
- Lex has an immense sweet tooth – one pouch of alchemy ingredients on his belt is just a bag of hard candy.
- Lex believes something not exploding spectacularly is alchemy’s way of telling you it’s disappointed in you.
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by DoubleL1987; 07-05-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I just appreciate someone else watched Excel Saga. Kudos from me, Taleteller.
Glad someone got the reference, Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowNinjaPrincess View Post
I think you'll find that Phoebe is anything but civilized. And if you do that, the look you'll get is as if you asked someone if you could gather up their dandruff to taste the flavor...

aaaand I bet I just gave you a really nasty idea, didn't I?
He's already tried Dandruff and it's more of a garnish then a spice. It has little to no taste and next to no nutritional value. Pixie Dust on the other hand is suppose to be 'magically delicious'; at least that's what a Leprechaun told him

As for toe or finger nails it's better to have them whole rather then as clippings and you need to soften them with a brine mixture to make them chewy or deep fry them to make them crispy like chips. You could also make a gelatin out of them but not very much unless you have a lot of nails. You also want to avoid any that are unclean or that have fungal infections. Fungi can be great but all they do to the nail is make them brittle and unappetizing. Maybe if you could us them in a fermentation process but you would need a LOT of Foot Fungus to try that experiment.

Last edited by taleteller50; 07-03-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4707
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Aside from how difficult it would be to interact with the party at level 1, do you have any qualms with oozemorph shifters Lentil?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
OOH, Ooze The perfect thickening agent for a good Gumbo in lieu of Okra Voluntary use of of course.

Hey Vaerdis

Last edited by taleteller50; 07-03-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4707
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
OOH, Ooze The perfect thickening agent for a good Gumbo in lieu of Okra Voluntary use of of course.

Hey Vaerdis
Dunno if making an ooze guide or prisoner for Gumbo's "cooking" would be worse. I think this can be fun