6 at Novice seems like a better choice.

What is starting currency? 5 thaler?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5478
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Yes. 5 Thaler. It's on page 78 of the Core Rules but I'm not certain which page of Quick Start, if any. Also, this is the wording of starting equipment in the Core Rules section on Equipment.

Quote:
All characters start with camping gear consisting of a sleeping roll, cooking equipment and firewood. Trinkets suited to the character’s backstory may be added at no cost: a deck of cards, pipe and tobacco, fishing rod and a case of bait, a signal horn or the like are welcomed since they make the character come alive. Memorabilia like a lock of hair from a lover, a wooden figurine from a deceased relative or an embroidered handkerchief as the only clue to the murderer of the character’s father really do enrich the history of a character. Abilities that are based on Cunning (like Alchemy, Beast Lore, Loremaster, Poisoner and Tactician) are likely accompanied by impressive tomes and well-thumbed scrolls regarding the topic in question. Should a character lack abilities or powers that are based on weaponry, then he or she may instead start with any of the following combinations:
◆◆ a sturdy staff and a dagger
◆◆ a single-handed weapon and a dagger
◆◆ a ranged weapon and a dagger

Other than weapons, a character starts with an ordinary light armor. If a player should want heavier armor, then he or she has to purchase it with the character’s starting funds.

Last edited by GeneT; 07-07-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 415
Perdition Perdition Perdition Perdition Perdition
Yes, I also noticed that Flint & Steel, Rope & a Waterskin are free to new characters too. It's on p. 154 under Field Equipment.

Actually, while we're on the subject can you resolve something regarding Equipment? On page 78 of the PHB they list equipment Players get for free. And though I can't find it specifically stated I think it is supposed to be treated as general equipment versus specific named equipment, which is often more expensive because it has unique qualities.

For instance, the Man-At-Arms Ability gives the Player a free suit of Medium Armor, which costs 5 thaler; but is probably not meant to give someone who chooses the Man-At-Arms ability the choice of specific armor, like Lacquered Silk Cuirass, which costs 25 thaler. Correct?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
Correct. Man-At-Arms Ability just gives regular/generic Medium Armor. Nothing fancy. Nothing special. And sometimes it is hard to find things in the book. Not certain if it is due to translation from the original language or simply how it was written. For instance, starting EQ for certain abilities are tabled on page 78 of the Core Book but under the Man-at-Arms ability there is no mention or restatement of getting medium armor at the start. Nor does the Quick Start list medium armor under Man-at-Arms which it should.

And as far as weapons, I find that the starting EQ essentially covers the basics as every character gets something despite the Ability or Archetype.

And perhaps I should put out this disclaimer. The Game App was written in attempts to give people enough info to consider a character and post interest( i.e Attributes and Abilities creation). It obviously has limitations. The Quick Start subtracts actual discussion of archetypes (Rogue, Warrior, Mystic) although Mystics have their own section, which is something I may have initially missed in reading all the books at once. Although the quick start makes character creation even more free-form than in the Core Book and really the Archetype discussion in Core Rules is more suggestions of characters that may fit a particular mold (Rogue, Warrior, Mystic) as players don't get any benefits from choosing one template idea over another. The archetypes are really just examples as Symbaroum doesn't have classes. Any ability is, in general, available to any character.

And in a selected player's private character thread, I anticipate some discussion and changes for those using the Quick Start rules if I see they've selected a particular Ability that gives some additional benefit that they did not know.

*Edit : And in some way or form, everyone will eventually convene upon Thistle-hold or there-abouts. For those that do not start there or have indicated a reason to being moving there in character backgrounds, we'll solo or pair RP how and why they may travel there in the first place. So no character really needs start or be from Thistle-hold. I'll also RP with those who've created reasons for travel to Thistle-hold how that occurs. It a chance to develop those reasons and for me to explore each character in some ways and I don't really like just shoving everyone together with some convenient foible that lacks sufficient backstory.

Last edited by GeneT; 07-07-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7919
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith

Old 07-07-2019, 06:49 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7731
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairien View Post
{...} I was kind of assuming we're aiming for Davokar, but if not, I'm happy to alter some things and give her a motivation to be in Yndaros.
I was definitely assuming we were aiming for Davokar as well. I don't know that I would be able to mold Yulamon to a group going to Yndaros, but I have very little concern should that fork be chosen ... the apps in here are really, really good. GeneT would have no problem putting together a really stellar group to go that route. Seriously well done everyone, I am thoroughly enjoying reading all the characters!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
I've added this to the app. A link to a briefer but oddly missing Character Creation quick start from the Setting specific quick start.

Quote:
Here is another Quick Start Guide that discusses Character Creation perhaps better then the longer Setting Quick Start Guide. I'm not sure why a section like this wasn't included in the longer Setting Quick Start but it may be easier to understand. It at lease mentions Archetypes (Warrior, Mystic, Rogue) in some degree.
And as an admission. The Deep Dark of Davokar is indeed where the group will find themselves early on. And probably for a while. Or at least skirting its edges from East-West, North-South, in some way or another. Yndaros may be in their future, but that wouldn't be for some time.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1100
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
I've been lurking here for a long time. I just bought the book. I'll read it this week and have a character up by the end of it or the beginning of the next.

Thanks for getting us playing other systems.

I have taken the Oath
Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4214
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Wow, this thread exploded over the weekend. I have added an RP sample to Mincemeat and welcome any thoughts, comments, concerns, etc.

I have also added a rough character sheet to the bottom since I wasn't really intending to use the suggested Sellsword abilities, I just felt like it matched closest to his actual occupation.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22681
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
As I posted in the Advert, I've decided to start early with some characters. I've PM'd Hafrogman, Berith, CharlesM, Begon Ugo, and Phettberg. Once some game threads are started I'll post the links here in case any wish to read and get a sense of style and play.

This doesn't mean I'm done selecting players. So no worries. I'll likely select 4 more once I've wrapped my head around their starting lines and have worked thru some things. As characters either start solo or in a smaller groups, there is room. I believe it took a number of weeks to get the group into a semblance of a whole in my last campaign, which had nine.

And one never knows. It's dangerous out there. Things are hungry.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
Of note, there is a Symbaroum google sheet that I sent the link too. You can copy it into your google drive if you want to use it, but there is some finickiness with Google Sheets, tab display, and an auto-hiding lower taskbar. See below.

Some browsers/computers with a lower taskbar that autohides do not display the tabs correctly for Sheets. You have to either minimize the browser or lock the taskbar. Autohide fools with the Sheet Tab display and the tabs are hidden behind the taskbar if it is not auto-hiding correctly or some such. I found this true in either Explore or Chrome for some reason.

To use the Sheet, copy it to your drive, rename, then either rename P4 of copy it and rename. I'm sure this is clear as mud so I created a Spoiler Button Template that can be used instead for those not wanting to use a Google Sheet. I posted an example spoiler button I did for one of my characters.

Google Sheet

Last edited by GeneT; 07-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1100
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
Kargai

“The thing you have to understand is human iniquity. It has carved civilization into this basin of barbarity. Power tries to crush this ingenuity, though – limit it, make it ‘safe’. The Queen, the Tribe, even the Church, they all prefer safety to liberty. It's false safety, of course. They say that their seal keeps you safe from fraudsters, but really what it does is give a Queen-friendly, Tribe-friendly, Church-friendly clique the right to charge you whatever they want. A man of position wants safety, sure, but only for his family and position. I say, best just to leave all people at their liberty.”

DescriptionRace: Human, Ambrian
Archtype: Rogue, my attempt at an Urban RangerDetective
Physical Description:
Kargai is not particularly physically impressive. He’s decently built but mostly through lack of fat than any excess of muscle. He stands medium height and has rather dull red-brown hair which he rarely styles in anything other than a heap down his neck. He seldom shaves, though he shaves enough to keep from growing a full beard.

It’s his eyes. They are sad, fierce, understanding, and awesome in turns – sometimes all at once. He speaks in slow, low, and steady terms. He often over-explains. And there are little things that tell you he’s more than a country ranger.

His cloak is new and of spun wool. It has gold trim on the sleeves. His bow looks city-made. And he rides a horse, a full stallion of a creature, not a mangy donkey or pony. His never stand less than sixteen hands.

Background

Goals and Secrets
Character Goal: He wants to lift up any power-base that can challenge the monopolies the Queen, the nobility, and the favored merchants have.

Player Goal: My goals in this are twofold. First, I want to learn the system for which I just bought the book (thanks for giving us a chance at that, by the way). Second, and more generally, I want to challenge my characters, which is what I want to do with all of my characters, whether DM or Player.

Secret:

Friends, Relatives, and Enemies:
Elga: Elga is a reformed Barbarian who runs a market-and-inn at the heart of Blackmoor. Open and dumb-sounding, only select friends (Kargai included) know that she can switch from a particularly dumb version of the barbarian accent to almost perfect high Ambrian, and that she can switch on a dime. She has an almost perfect memory too, and has married a love of gossip with perfect secrecy. The only problem is she indulges a bit – sex, food, drugs, and drink.

Jomilo: Jomilo was (and remains) a fire spice merchant sympathetic to Kargai’s politics. But he kept his mouth shut. Consequently, he still has his mine (and Kargai’s, when it comes to that). Kargai will visit him every so often to stir up trouble for his competition, a behavior Jomilo finds obliging in two ways – making the lives of his competitors hard while making Jomilo feel as if he’s truly doing something to stand up for his anti-monopolistic beliefs. For his part, Kargai never makes Jomilo feel as if he abandoned the fight. Kargai understands (while remaining mildly exasperated).

Malmon: The barbarian who, after winning a bet, taught Kargai how to shoot properly. They’ve maintained contact on and off, and Kargai even went to Malmon after he was first run out of his business. For about six months, Kargai ran with Malmon’s mercenary company, though he never did much with them more than stop street brawls.

Sevnoro: Kargai’s father. Fairly well obsessed with Status. When Kargai was running the family operations out at ‘The Moors’, they’d visit regularly, both of them traveling to the other place two or three times a year. Now, they remain mostly strangers. Sevnoro doesn’t understand why Kargai is so angry with being shut out of The Moors. “It’s the way of business.”

Mallio: A knife-faced man with little redeeming virtue but his hard-nose-to-the-gindstone-ness. To those more powerful than he, he is an obsequies servant. To those less powerful, an enthusiastic tyrant. In his dungeon of a mind, he imagines that he will be found indispensable, Kargai found useless, and Sevnoro will leave his businesses to Mallio instead of his own son. The thought never occurred to Sevnoro and Kargai suspects Mallio’s wishes but doesn’t for his life take them seriously.

Simple Character Sketch
Attributes
Accurate: 6
Cunning: 12
Discreet: 8
Persuasive: 11
Quick: 8
Resolute: 10
Strong: 9
Vigilant: 14

Trait: Privileged

Abilities:
  • Sixth Sense
  • Loremaster
  • Marksman
  • Steadfast
  • Alchemy
  • Medicus

I have taken the Oath
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 415
Perdition Perdition Perdition Perdition Perdition
Is this still going on or not?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3567
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
No reason to think not, the official deadline isn't past yet, it's July 31st as per the OP.