RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Savage RIFTS: The Contamination Principle

Game NameSavage RIFTS: The Contamination Principle
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeAction, exploration, drama
FlavourAdventure with mild exploration of morality
Plot SummarySome say centuries. Some say millennia. Most say it simply doesn’t matter how long ago the Rifts came, only that glowing blue ley lines and the rips in reality where they cross in the world shattered what was and created what is. Scattered, chaotic, untethered to a single paradigm of civilization, humanity thrives in the aftermath of a global cataclysm lost to time. Whatever happened, and whenever it took place, the results are clear in the still devastated lands adventurous travelers dare to cross when going from one bastion of society to another. The eclectic mix of frontier towns, feudal-style fortresses, and towering, sprawling cities—those of technological wonder as well as magical might and mystery—speaks of a kind of patchwork approach to the rebuilding of civilization. That’s only the start of it, though, for humans are far from the dominant sentient presence they may have once been. Doorways to countless realities, once only theorized in quantum physics texts, granted passage to a nearly endless variety of entities both monstrous and sublime. Not only people and creatures but, in many cases, portions of their realms came right along with them, creating an even more complex, disjointed landscape across the world.

The Rifts world is Earth, but hundreds of years into the future. Ley lines, lines of magic energy, criss-cross the earth forming supernatural geographic areas such as the Bermuda Triangle. Points where Ley Lines intersect, called a nexus, are places of powerful magic, such as the Pyramids of Giza and Stonehenge. If a Ley Line nexus grows strong, the very fabric of space and time can be torn, creating a rift, or a hole in space-time leading to another place, time, or a new/parallel dimension. Ley Lines are normally invisible, but in the magic-saturated world of Rifts Earth, they become visible at night as massive bands of blue-white energy half a mile wide in some places, and stretching for many miles. When extremely strong, Ley Lines can be seen during the day.

Rifts begins with two future-historical premises: first, a golden age of humanity occurs, with tremendous advances in science, technology, military, and society. Humanity as a whole is at peace as a majority of Earth's nations decide to cease world war and begin to share ideas and technology freely. Much of the solar system is conquered, humanity's wars will end, and harmony will reign. Second, that this golden age is followed by an apocalyptic nuclear war, causing a disaster that cascades into tremendous destruction via a domino effect.

In the far north of what was once Arkansas, not far from Branson, Missouri, Castle Refuge stands strong as a place of safety, healing, and promise. From the blood of the Juicer Uprising, the terror of the Coalition’s Campaign of Unity, the horrors of Lord Dunscon’s territorial machinations, and the still-smoldering ashes of Tolkeen…from all of this rises both Castle Refuge and its ever-growing garrison of defenders. At first dedicated to ensuring the security of a few thousand displaced and traumatized beings, these defenders are growing into something more—an army of hope and justice called the Tomorrow Legion for a world in need of saving.

For decades, people like revered scholar, Erin Tarn, and the founder of the CyberKnights, Lord Coake, worked tirelessly to uncover the best of Earth’s history and preserve it. They struggled to bring what they believed was the height of civilization back to a world embroiled in devastating chaos, even as the Coalition States waged war against education almost as viciously as they did against magic and non-humans.

They tried to hold back the tide of the unchecked eldritch forces of the Magic Zone, seeking to secure the foundations of a world never meant for magic.

No longer. Though history remains her passion, Erin Tarn speaks now of the future and how best to build it. Lord Coake, once draped in the trappings of ancient chivalry, teaches and trains his new Cyber-Knights to fight for a better world yet to be. These great teachers and leaders—and their many colleagues and long-time followers—are planting their feet and their flags upon the ramparts of a fortress that is one-half classical form and one-half modern marvel.

At Castle Refuge, any being willing to work with others for something more— something finer and nobler than mere survival—is welcome. There, those who would be heroes, warriors, explorers, and defenders are recruited into the Tomorrow Legion. They train for battle, gird for war, and make ready to set out against the enemies of a world that may yet be. These are the heroes who fight for a better tomorrow.

The characters are part of a Special Exploratory Team for the Tomorrow Legion. At current, you are on patrol in the Oklahoma Territory at the southwestern edge of the Legion’s sphere of influence. You were wrapping up an uneventful patrol when suddenly a short range radio signal crackles over your equipment. A man’s voice fades in and out through the garbled transmission:

“…sighted Xiticix…Red River…before it’s too late…Valiant…”
IntroductionWelcome to the Tomorrow Legion!

I'm starting up a Savage Worlds RIFTS campaign, and am in need of 2-3 volunteers to join the Tomorrow Legion. I have two player's already signed on, so I will be having them observe the recruitment and provide some feedback.

The game will start at Novice level. Any viable combination of race/heroic archetype is allowed (This is unique to Savage RIFTS, so Savage Worlds players don't get confused). We will be using the most recent Adventure Edition rules when able, though the RIFTS sourcebooks are not up to date yet (I'm expecting them in a few months!). Right now I'm just looking for expressed interest and character concepts; you don't have to fully build a character to get approved for the game! (I will be helping everyone go through character creation) I understand that the original RIFTS setting is quite unique and interesting, but many new gamers find the system to be archaic and difficult to really get into. Savage Worlds has an official conversion of the RIFTS setting using their rules! (The first thing in the book is a letter from the creator of RIFTS) And in my experience the Savage Worlds system is a breath of life into a setting that deserved refreshing.

This game will be VERY new player friendly, as most of the player base is not familiar with the setting or the system, some of them both. I expect to spend a couple of weeks starting after the recruitment helping everyone build characters and everything. I will be including a gameplay primer thread.

This adventure, the Contamination Principle, is a relatively short one but has elements of exploration, social interaction, moral quandries, and yes, loads of fast and furious combat! This isn't necessarily the end, however! I have several more adventure seeds and events the party could participate in after the completion of the Contamination Principle.
RIFTS SPECIESOther non-human races (referred to a DB's, or Dimensional Beings) are uncommon, but not rare. Here's the list of non-human species:
Altaran Warrior Women: Race of blind genetically augmented cloned women with supernatural senses.
D'norr: Demon-looking species that's actually a group of pacifist-leaning empaths.
Dog Boy: Genetically 'uplifted' humanoids based on different breeds of dogs that have specialized purposes, but are almost always in the hands of the Coalition.
Fennodi: A pale gray and tall species with strangely placed eyes and whiskers, they're generally peaceful, naturally psychic, and not very good with cold. They're mostly known in the southwest US as ranchers.
Grachle Tooth: 8-10 foot tall beefy saurian-like species with a predilection for being warriors, mechanics, and engineers. They're incapable of learning magic or psionics, nor can they have cybernetics installed. In exchange they're physically VERY imposing, even the weakest of them are stronger than an average human.
Lyn-Srial: 4 armed humanoids with golden scales, bird like head, and bat wings connected to their upper arms. They are, as their appearance suggests, naturally good (read: heroic hindrance) creatures. They can fly and can regenerate damage.
Psi-Stalker: Mutant humans who evolved over the centuries to prey on psychic or magical energy-ladened creatures. They only eat tiny amounts of food; the rest of their nourishment is derived from eating the PPE or ISP of others.
Quick-Flex: Surprisingly agile humanoids of unknown origin before arriving on earth, the Quick Flex is very near-human, but are more agile than humans can ever be. This fast nature however makes them a bit impatient and possess a short attention span.
Simvan: Also known as 'Monster Riders' they're a race of somewhat bestial people who known to be capable of taming any creature, no matter how monstrous.
Trimadore: Trimadore are tall DB's with long necks that taper off to relatively small heads. Their faces are simplistic and have two-toed, two-fingered extremities. The species has an extraordinary knack for all things mechanical and technical.
ApplicantsDeadline: July 19th
Alias | Name | Concept | App Status
SithlordWard | TBD | Saurian Cyberknight | Complete: Pre-accepted
Axelt | TBD | Crazy | Complete: Pre-accepted
Kyramor | Vasa Karanit | Mystic | Complete
OneDarkness | Friction | MARS | Complete
SalmonMax | Mask | Ley Line Walker | Complete
Charlotte | Fire Fox | Burster | Complete

Last edited by Runetide; 07-12-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1359
Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor
Definitely interested! I've never played Savage Worlds or RIFTS, but I've looked into both in the past with a strong interest and will jump at the opportunity to give them a go. I know system-ignorance can be a pain, but I'm a quick study and not easily frustrated by screwing up.

So with that said, I was skimming through some art I've gathered, looking for inspiration. I was already thinking of a fairly pacifistic mystic and came across the art used below and started looking to see how I might combine the two. That's when I found the D'Norr--oh look, horned DBs that are pretty pacifistic and do magic. Unfortunately, no psionics, period. As such, I've gone with a halfbreed sort of concept, but could reframe it into a totally different sort of DB if either 1) a good idea strikes me or 2) the half-D'norr/half human thing ends up being silly or bad for some other reason. Now that I think about it, the significant difference in appearance could lend to a sort of storyline in which she's only pretending to be a half-D'norr, simply because she shares so many traits with them, when, in fact, she's from some origin that she thinks would lend to greater mistreatment were it revealed.

Edit: Okay, so my concept strayed further from my original idea as I wrote. My original concept just became the lie. :P

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Vasai Karanit (claiming her real name to be Soleil Ad'nahl)

Alias: Sister Halcyon

Race: Custom - Faravat (supposedly Half-D'norr)

Framework: Mystic

Personality: Halcyon is exactly the kind of outcome of a religious upbringing that, in a better time, would have been sent door to door to spread the word or put behind a podium or in a pulpit to spread to others what she seems so convinced of: she's strident in her convictions, yet earnest in her belief; she has seemingly boundless room in her heart to empathize, or at least sympathize, with any she encounters, yet refuses to let her morals bend under the weight of pity; she's no stranger to the realities of the outside world, yet she refuses to let them mar her picture of an ideal world.

Despite her appearance, Halcyon is inevitably the heart of any group she finds herself in for any period of time, and despite that, she's no devotee of hearth and home or hospitaler seeking to sew wounds and console the dying; she's a crusader, in her own way, for a more peaceful tomorrow.

History: Halcyon's past is something she'll happily recount to anyone, since she's seeded it with enough truth to leave few any reason to question it. When she tells others that she grew up in a near-monastic environment of study and rigid control, that's no lie. When she talks about having a connection to something divine(?) from as young as she can remember and studying the gods and myth across the span of humanity with the kernel of an idea that divinity has its basis in mortal veneration, there's no untruth there.

The untruth comes in the more mundane details of her physical origins. According to her claim, she's the daughter of a d'norr father and a human mother, the latter of which was a field researcher with Free Quebec who ended up overcoming her prejudices and finding love in all the wrong dimensions, per her peers. Halcyon's claim is that her mother resides still with the d'norr and she's come back, making a treacherous journey all the way from Quebec to find refuge with those few with less prejudice who might listen to her message of peace. Why does she look neither like a d'norr or a human, exactly, you might ask? She attributes that to the influence of her mystical studies--they had an effect, she says, beyond merely the unpredictable results of species successfully mixing.

In truth, she's from an altogether different D-Bee race calling themselves the faravat. The species' similarity to humanity, aside from its black skin and horns (the glowy bits are a faravat mystic thing) has led their researchers to posit a similarity between their dimensions sufficient to designate it a potential refuge should calamity befall their home dimension, which isn't entirely unlikely. You see, the faravat's differences from humanity don't come from some genetic coin-toss or two that went another way in their dimension--it comes from consorting with higher (or lower, as it may be) powers. The faravat wrote a check that will one day be cashed, and in return their divergent branch of their former species is now the only branch remaining in their dimension. This didn't happen through peace and harmony. The faravat writ large would gladly massacre humanity, given the need and opportunity, and Halcyon (whose real name is Vasai Karanit) is the talented mystic sent to take the temperature, so to speak, should such a need ever arise. The catch is that in studying the volumes purloined in the faravat's brief and obscure prior contact with humanity, Halcyon has seen something worth saving in humanity and so brings a message of peace with the perhaps overly-grand notion of convincing first humanity, then her own people.

Last edited by Kyramor; 07-05-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Very interesting! Just to make sure, Sister Halcyon would have no problem working with the Tomorrow Legion to ACTUALLY better earth, right?

This custom race, the Faravat, do you envision them having abilities different than a human, or are you wanting to keep the human +1 edge at character creation? I ask because there's a fancy DB creator in the book and I can use that to fine tune her species if you want.

I included a section in the ad explaining this is going to be a very new player friendly campaign/session.

Last edited by Runetide; 07-05-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, I'm absolutely down for doing some DB-creation. :3

And yes, she's completely down with working to better Earth. Her empathy and whatnot are totally genuine, even if she has an ulterior motive in being here. She genuinely wants peace and sees a great deal of good in humanity, even if she's not totally and genuinely a pacifist.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12391
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
I played rifts in overb20 years and certainly not savage worlds, but if you don't mind walking me through I will give ita shot.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
I played rifts in overb20 years and certainly not savage worlds, but if you don't mind walking me through I will give it a shot.
Absolutely! That's why I'm asking for concepts here and not builds. I want to help everyone get their character as uniformly well-built as possible, so that step will happen after the recruitment ends. I'll have a thread explaining the basic rules and then adding on posts with further rules as they become relevant.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I notice I'm marked as incomplete--what should I add/update/fix to get that sweet, sweet green text?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Pretend I know nothing about the systems (not far from the truth) was a rough idea on archetypes / classes or whatever I need to pick from. Leaning towards human, cause hey I am human I can relate

The two others who are joining will they be posting their concepts, might help me see where rest of people are going?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyramor View Post
I notice I'm marked as incomplete--what should I add/update/fix to get that sweet, sweet green text?
I was actually waiting to hear your answers for my last questions! I'll change it now.

Quote:
Pretend I know nothing about the systems (not far from the truth) was a rough idea on archetypes / classes or whatever I need to pick from. Leaning towards human, cause hey I am human I can relate

The two others who are joining will they be posting their concepts, might help me see where rest of people are going?
I'll add their concepts to the table above! I'll also try to add in a list of possible options, but I am mobile atm and will need to do it when i can sit down.

Last edited by Runetide; 07-05-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Declaring interest!

Lots of ideas, but my knee jerk reaction is either a mage (ley line walker or similar) or a psychic of some stripe.

I'll see what percolates and get an actual submission out before the weekend's up.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Charlotte Charlotte
I'm interested! My tendency is towards a dog soldier cyber-knight, but should our saurian friend insist upon that role then I have other ideas, such as a juicer or a borg.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I'm interested! My tendency is towards a dog soldier cyber-knight, but should our saurian friend insist upon that role then I have other ideas, such as a juicer or a borg.
The saurian is going to be a melee focused cyber Knight. That doesn't mean you can't apply with one, just understand that he's one of the two that are already in.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Runtide did you see my PM ?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
So a question on character generation. You mention switching to SWADE when the Rifts books are converted, but early indications is that there's some significant differences between 'current' Savage Rifts, and SWADE Savage Rifts. Is the expectation that we'll be rebuilding entirely when that happens?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Runtide did you see my PM ?
Yes I just did. I'll reply in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
So a question on character generation. You mention switching to SWADE when the Rifts books are converted, but early indications is that there's some significant differences between 'current' Savage Rifts, and SWADE Savage Rifts. Is the expectation that we'll be rebuilding entirely when that happens?
Uhm... no we won't need to do that, actually. There's going to be a part about updating to the new system. SWADE isn't TOO different from the explorer's edition. Mostly, you'll get a few extra ranks in some skills and drop anything related to charisma (which I'm glad for).

Also I have added species to my recruitment post so it's easier for players to grok the DB's available other than humans, ofc.

Last edited by Runetide; 07-08-2019 at 12:22 AM.