RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Smartass Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3291
Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad
Adrift on the Seas

Game Details

Adrift on the Seas

right-aligned image

Game System: D&D Fifth Edition

Theme: Nautical Campaign on the Open Seas, Sandbox, World Building

Flavor: Up to the players to decide what kind of seafaring campaign they wish to have. Most of the campaign will take place either on the sea, the coast, or on islands.

Audience:
New players to D&D and play by post are welcome.
I'm keen to accept players who haven't been invited into a forum game yet for whatever reason, in addition to experienced players.
I am looking for players able to post at least twice per week throughout the campaign.
Seeking 5-6 players to become the officers of a sailing vessel.
Applications will close Sunday at midnight EST on the 21st of July

Disclaimer:
This campaign is not for the fainthearted. If you are easily upset by brutality, death, or violence then this game isn't for you. Combat will not be nice to your characters. You can expect them to at some point suffer long term injuries, dismemberment, harsh impairments, and quite possibly death. If you get yourselves into a bad situation where the outlook is grim then expect there to be casualties. So long as you agree to this disclaimer you may post an application.

The Setting
left-aligned image

Lightning crashes through the rigging, the concussive blast throws one or two and the rain stings as the high powered winds whip into the faces of those on the slick deck of the sailing vessel The Boreham. Wave after wave slams into and over the rocking and swaying ship and it was all the crew could do to keep from being swept overboard. Chaotic cries are drowned by the sounds of the rushing hurricane. When the lightning flashes again it reveals the helm void of Captain Selanya Hale. Darkness takes over again as the dark storm clouds blot out the northern sun. Noticeably absent in the dark is the obnoxiously cheerful and upbeat tone Captain Hale's First Mate usually gave his orders in... "Smiling" Seth and his confounding colorful parrot Tuka were never quiet. Neither human could be seen or heard through the rain in the brief flash of light provided.

Just below deck in the Mess pots and pans, food, spices, and a variety of other supplies shift and fall off the shelf into quite the mess. Yet Cookie, the meticulous Tiefling cook with his shrunk right arm, is nowhere to be found. Nearby the supply boxes in the hold shift and tumble spilling their contents and creating quiet the racket. But the slow methodical clicking sound of the Tortle quartermaster tut tutting could not be heard. Gad "Dam" Nior... where was he? Further below deck near the bilge the prisoners in the Brig find themselves in knee deep water, whether The Boreham had sprung a leak or it was just the intense amount of water filling in from the deck? What about the passengers, also held nearby, who had been knocked around and into each other violently causing not a few broken bones and cuts and bruises. Yet demands for the burly half-orc boatswain Koguz to check the hold and cries for the ship's surgeon, an aloof Aasimar called Wirlir, have all been ignored.

As the storm wracks The Boreham, all aboard feel the cold fear rise up into the pit of their stomach as one simple question burns in their minds... "Where the hell are the ship's officers?"

Greetings all and welcome to my campaign Adrift on the Seas where your characters find themselves on a sailing ship that is recently devoid of its officers, in the middle of an ocean dubbed the Roiling Expanse between the Kingdoms of Katan and Melithas. Your characters will need to quickly commandeer the sailing vessel, repair whatever damage you may find, and then decide what you want to do while in command of it. Dangers lurk below in the ocean, above in the weather, and even within as you have to maintain the loyalty of the crew that put you in command... or who you forcibly took command of. I will present several options and leave The Boreham in your capable/incapable hands. Who is up for tackling the challenges of the High Seas?

Further information on the world that can aid you with character creation will be found in the game forum once created. A link to there will be provided.

Game Rules
right-aligned image

Rules for the Game
  • Beginning at level 3, no multiclass.
  • All official WotC 5e material allowed. PHB, UA, Xanathar's etc.
  • We will be using a modified point buy of 30 points. You may buy a 16 for 12 points. You may not buy a stat above 16.
  • I will expect you to have read as a minimum the free Basic Rules before applying. If you have the PHB, even better. If you're thinking 'My God, who can be bothered to read this much?!’ then D&D probably isn't for you, especially play by post D&D. Once you've read these rules you will be able to create a character sheet and take part in the adventure.
  • Please do not create your character sheet yet (unless you really really want to).
  • I expect you to maintain the post rate you supply below throughout the game. I place the same expectations on players as I do myself and we all need to be present in order for this thing to work. If you fall below this expectation without good reason you will simply be removed from the game.
  • Your character posts should be more than a handful of lines. I'll expect to see some sensible embellishment, something nice to read that pushes the story forward and engages your fellow players. You are not just playing with the DM, you are also playing with your team. Posts should try to include the 4 core elements of pbp roleplay, a DESCRIPTIVE element (what does it look like), a HOOK (or ENGAGE) element(how are you interacting/including others), an ACTION element(what are you doing), and a MOTIVE element(why are you doing it).
  • I'll expect you to fully read each post made before yours as missing things can cripple the flow.
  • Include the word ‘star’ somewhere in your application.
  • I'll expect you to use a spellchecker and proper punctuation/capitalization.
  • A stat block is required and it's the player's responsibility to ensure it's up to date after each post.
  • When creating your character have in mind an Officer's Role you'd like your character to fill at the start of the campaign. YOUR CHARACTER WILL FILL A POSITION. Here is a rough guide of what each role entails and what things they should be good at (but don't necessarily have to be...)

I will be using the following Rule Variants:

8hr Short Rest/7 days Long Rest AKA "Gritty Realism"
"This variant uses a short rest of 8 hours and a long rest of 7 days. This puts the brakes on the campaign, requiring the players to carefully judge the benefits and drawbacks of combat. Characters can't afford to engage in too many battles in a row, and all adventuring requires careful planning. This approach encourages the characters to spend time out of the dungeon. It’s a good option for campaigns that emphasize intrigue, politics, and interactions among other PCs, and in which combat is rare or something to be avoided rather than rushed into." I chose this variant because a lot of your character's time will likely be on the open sea. Down time will be aplenty and combat shouldn't be a rash decision in the world of Setourith.
---------------
Healer’s Kit Dependency
A character can't spend any Hit Dice after finishing a short rest until someone expends one use of a healer's kit to bandage and treat the character's wounds.
---------------
Slow Natural Healing
Characters don't regain hit points at the end of a long rest. Instead, a character can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just as with a short rest.
---------------
Firearms
Renaissance Level Firearms (aka Muskets 150g and Pistols 75g), cannons, and gunpowder are available in this world. If you are proficient in Martial Weapons you are proficient with Firearms. Those with Hand Crossbow proficiency may swap it for Pistol Proficiency and/or Heavy Crossbow proficiency for Musket.
---------------
Lingering Injuries
A creature might sustain a lingering injury under the following circumstances:
  • When it takes a critical hit
  • When it drops to 0 hit points but isn't killed outright.
  • When it fails a death saving throw by 5 or more
To determine the nature of the injury, roll on the Lingering Injuries table below

Character Guide & Application Template
right-aligned image
Feel free to add more to this if you feel it necessary, but all applications should include the following and nobody likes reading wall-o-texts.

Character Details

Name: - Anything appropriate for race. Sailor names discouraged, you'll get your "Seafaring Nickname" in game.
Race: - See WotC material. All official races allowed. Those not listed in the Campaign Map Spoiler are considered rare.
Class + Subclass: - See WotC material. All official classes/sub classes allowed. Barbarian, Fighters, and Rogues will have a bit of an easier time.
Background: - See WotC material and the added background and variants below:

Appearance: - Please include a picture (a head shot is enough) accompanied by a single paragraph.
Alignment: - Any is allowed but depending on the dynamic of the crew and the direction you go in those Alignments on the extreme may get themselves in trouble.
Chose a starting point: Pick Crew, Passenger, or Prisoner

Personality (single paragraph): - Describe what your character is like as a person and how well they work in groups.
Where did you acquire your talents? (single paragraph): - Did you have a mentor or teacher? How did you learn magic or to wield a sword? Explain how you came into your background.
Officer Position: Please indicate which Officer Position(s) you’d like. Captain, First Mate, Quartermaster, Ship’s Surgeon, Bosum, or Cook
Roleplay Sample: - Once your character is marked as complete, I will introduce them into a Session Zero scenario where you can roleplay your characters. This will become your roleplay sample.

About you:

Realistic posting rate: - You will be held to this all campaign. So ensure it's realistically something you can maintain. Minimum 1x per week requested. The crew will have no problem keel-hauling officers that go AWOL.
Previous role playing experience: - I'm looking for a mix of people.
Number of forum games you're currently playing: - As stated earlier I'm looking for a mix of people.
Any other notes: - Please include anything else not covered above that you feel the DM or fellow players should know. Be sure to include any planned absences due to vacations etc

Applicants
PlayerCharacterRaceClassCrew/Prisoner/PassengerOfficer PositionStatus
DelpinatorMarshHalf-OrcRanger(?)??WIP
GrouchyThargrun StoneheartDwarf(Mountain)Sorcerer(Storm)CrewBosunWIP
Treble83Alto Fizzle RockbottomRock GnomeArtificer(Battle Smith)CrewBosunComplete
rexlerleppSaar TuorHuman(variant)Barbarian(Storm)CrewBosunWIP
PapaSvirfSzossha HellcrestHumanBard(Whispers)PrisonerCaptainComplete
PerditionDrake D'ArgentoHumanPaladin(Devotion)PassengerCaptainComplete
RetryAlexander LongstrideFierna TieflingWizard(War)CrewCaptainComplete
kymrelHenry CrowHalf-ElfWarlock(Hexblade)PassengerCaptainComplete
Azure NokoriRath BlackhandDwarf(Mountain) CrewCookWIP
Hiruma KohakuBrek SchmokHumanMonk(Drunken Master)CrewCookComplete
HuhartDalwinkleGnome(forest)Rogue(Trickster)PrisonerCookComplete
AlemarLuchion ShipplingHumanFighter(Champion)CrewFirst MateComplete
In the MixRosa CebollaHalf-elfSorceress(Shadow)PrisonerFirst MateComplete
ThunderstruckZizzixGoblinBarbarian(Ancestral)PassengerFirst MateComplete
VatheYellow JohnHumanFighter(Battlemaster)PrisonerFirst MateComplete
saratek187ClioMerfolkWarlock(Celestial)PrisonerFirst MateComplete
ClawsomeShakur SeabreezeWater GenasiRanger(Privateer)PrisonerQuartermasterComplete
DanshiiWithWulfsBlubludGoblinMystic(Nomad)PrisonerQuartermasterComplete
ShaedeYuxukLizardmanDruid(Land-Swamp)CrewQuartermasterComplete
penbeast0DorjieAarakocraSorcerer(Storm)PassengerQuartermasterComplete
theclaytsterTom SouthwarkHuman(variant)Druid(Shepard)PassengerQuartermasterComplete
AlphaPPhirisv K.D.KoboldArchivist(Alchemist)CrewShip’s SurgeonComplete
JrodRazaTritonCleric(Tempest)CrewShip’s SurgeonComplete
SadralAlistair Cain HillighamHumanArtificer(Alchemist)PassengerShip’s SurgeonComplete

Game Forum (TBD)
"There's a slope down toward evil, a gentle gradient that can be ignored at each step, unfelt. It's not until you look back, see the distant heights where you once lived, that you understand your journey." - Prince of Thorns

Last edited by Mostlymad; Today at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Smartass Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad
QuestionsAnswers
Is this game first come first serve, or are you picking apps?All completed applications will get to participate as members of the ship in Session 0. This allows me to have some NPCs after the selection process. Session 0 will mostly comprise of the characters making their arguments for an officer position. I will be selecting characters once Session 0 is complete.
Is UA material allowed?Yes but run it past me first.
"There's a slope down toward evil, a gentle gradient that can be ignored at each step, unfelt. It's not until you look back, see the distant heights where you once lived, that you understand your journey." - Prince of Thorns

Last edited by Mostlymad; 07-09-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4892
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Alexander Longstride
right-aligned image

Name: Alexander Longstride
Race: Fierna Tiefling
Class: Wizard - War Magic
Background: Gambler
Appearance: Alexander is around what one would expect for an average height of a man to be with a almost disgustingly thin build to him. He often covers his small frame with a bulky jacket to make himself look larger than he actually is. His skin a light ashy hue mixed with his dark gray hair and stubble makes one believe he has never met the sun in his life. His dark black horns twist back and up giving him an almost fiendish look about him as customary to his race with a simple feather charm dangles freely from his left horn. Underneath his bulky jacket lies his favorite tome and dagger carefully strapped to the inner lining so as to not jostle free in a scuffle.

Alignment: LE

Starting Point: Crew.
Why did you settle?: No one accepts a fiend coming in pounding his chest and demanding respect, to truly gain power requires work. You need to worm your way in and grow from there slowly making each and every piece you touch yours before they can know its truly too late. This often means you need to start from the bottom.
What drives you west?: You know those pretty pieces of paper that sometimes have peoples face on them along with a number below? Yeah. One too many people felt they were "wronged" by me and those papers started to grow in numbers so it was just best to leave all together, I feel.
Link to officer: That chance meeting with Seth at the tavern while he was on shore leave was all Alex needed for an in. A bit of of ale here and a forked tongue there and I had my ticket off this accused land where I was becoming wanted. This ship would be a good means for things to die down here while having some fun out there - oh, and it would be nice to acquire this bird he seems so fond of. I feel a bird will help with my visage.

Personality: Wholly self-serving, Alex likes to promise lot and only deliver on things he feels would benefit him in the end. Anything he deems 'his,' he will go above and beyond to keep using any means necessary. He is a selfish, greedy man with a forked tongue and an eye for power.

Where did you acquire your talents?: Do you like gambling? I like gambling, gambling is fun - its exhilarating! When gambling with the right people you can get things that you hardly thought you'd ever acquire, even if it means taking your winnings by force. Back in Katan I happened to obtain this lovely little tome with this silly star on it from someone who thought he was important. Turns out I couldn't understand a blasted thing in it, at first! Had to call in a lot of favors and free some people of some outstanding debts to help decipher what in the blazed I was reading. Now that I understand it I can use it - and I enjoy using it oh so much!

Officer Position: Captain, of course, why would I aim for something lower than the top?!

.About me

Post rate: I am capable of doing daily during normal work hours but I feel my best comes out in games that have 1-2/wk rates. Weekends are tougher for me since I'm home with the kids all day and don't have access to my laptop.
Previous experience: I've only been playing D&D for 9 months now, but I've very comfortable with 5e and pbp.
Games playing: Realistically playing four, DM'ing two.

Last edited by Retry; 07-09-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3870
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Is this game first come first serve, or are you picking apps?
Old 07-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Smartass Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysUntold View Post
Is this game first come first serve, or are you picking apps?
All completed applications will get to participate as members of the ship in Session 0. This allows me to have some NPCs after the selection process. Session 0 will mostly comprise of the characters making their arguments for an officer position. I will be selecting characters once Session 0 is complete.

Last edited by Mostlymad; 07-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
muki "marsh" varona
Name: marsh
Race half-orc
Class ranger
Background Shipwright
Low connections
Traits:
I love talking and being heard more than I like to listen. Though I really like the feel of sore muscles and sweat on the brow.
Ideal:
the best ship follows the natural order of the universe as does life. The captain is always right those that disagree deserve a flogging.
Bond:
The kraken stole my beloved star standard and burried her in the depths below. I shall rest it's teeth upon my mantle.
Flaw:
Who doesn't know how to work fools and royalty. Fools should never be trusted and royals belong in the hold. Comfy though left to their own. Their money pays for the tools.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 400
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Super excited for a nautical campaign

left-aligned image

Name: Luchion Shippling
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Fighter (Champion)
Background: Sailor (Pirate)

Appearance: Wavy, Brown locks flow from this young man's head, matching both his eyes, and the specks of dirt on his cheeks perfectly. His lithe body, and youthful face might be considered handsome; if only he could stop getting them punched in quite so often.
Alignment: LN
Starting point: Luchion joined the crew of the Boreham as an opportunity to have a change of scenery. Having spent many years as an unsavory, the excuse to expand into new waters, ones where he may not be as well known to the authorities, seemed almost too good to pass up. Blending in as a regular seaman, and giving others every chance to underestimate him makes him feel safe, and almost a bit superior, as if he is in on a great secret others are not.
Crew Link: Cookie always had a mischevious smile, a naughty joke, or random morsel of food for Luchion. Ever since he came aboard, one constant he had come to rely on was the Teifling. Now with him gone from the galley, there may be one less friendly place for him to hide away.
Crew Position: Luchion hopes to be a Rising Star for his ship in the First Mate's Position

Personality: Slightly immature, Luchion prefers the safety of numbers to accomplish his tasks, even if it's just to keep his head down for a while. He is very eager to practice the finer points of 'swordsmanship' either sparring with his crew mates, or more preferably, under the careful tutelage of a tavern matron's chambers.
Where did you acquire your talents?: Having been taken onto a pirate vessel as a cabin boy, Luchion has been tutored by the men surrounding him for the better part of a decade. He still has lot of the finer points of seafaring left to learn, but is quite happy with the progress he has made in his time spent seaside.

Realistic posting rate: Provided the game pace remains brisk, I can do once every other day...possibly more frequently.
Previous role playing experience: 2 games of 3.0 in highschool, and a few of 3.5/5e here on RPGCrossing
Number of forum games you're currently playing: 0

Last edited by Alemar; 07-08-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Updating crew section
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Great Derpy Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 726
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
Character Application
Name: Alistair Cain Hilligham
right-aligned image

Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Artificer - Alchemist
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Inheritor

Appearance: Cain stands at a height of roughly five feet and six inches tall. Proud of her flamboyant red hair, she usually keeps it long, yet more often than not neatly pulled into a high bun with only a few loose strands dangling on the sides of her face. Piercing, light green eyes illuminate an overall unremarkable face, high cheek bones and pointy chin giving her a stern look.
She is almost always accompanied by what she calls Mr Krinkle: A giant mechanical mosquito the size of a child’s forearm with comically large, human-like googly eyes. More peculiar, the creature’s abdomen is actually a syringe tank connected via tubes to a multitude of miniature vials attached all around the side. The proboscis appears to be the syringe’s needle.

Personality: Cain is plagued with unresolved grief, resentment and regret she has never had time to fully work on. She hides it most of the time however, her somewhat naive, insatiable thirst for knowledge always driving her forward. Not the least a social butterfly, she nonetheless has a desire to fit in, find her place and a community, not afraid to get out of her comfort zone to achieve this goal. With a highly competitive spirit on the domains she deems excelling at, the artificer has little patience for stupidity and mistakes, appearing sometimes ruthless, handling things with an iron hand in an iron glove. Yet, if someone’s wounds or hurts are entrusted to her, the alchemist would die for her patient, taking the greatest precautions and using the best of her ingenuity to never lose anyone ever again.

Where did you acquire your talents?: Born in a Nefenese high-skill, high-standard rich family with a legacy of lawmakers, arcanists or star medical practitioners, Alistair was given a boy's name from a father who wanted a son but failed to conceive such for years. As the heiress of the family (reluctantly) she received the best education money could provide, her thirst for knowledge driving her to engineering and medicine both, with a striking inability to decide where to focus her efforts. Years later, as her progenitors finally managed to produce a brother, Alistair lost most of the interest and care of her family. This paradoxically gave her more freedom as the burden of a sole child was lifted from her, providing opportunities to wander and learn from various men and women of trade around Katan metropolises, taking into gnome clockwork, alchemy and the basics of magic.

Chose a starting point: Passenger.
Why and what is your final destination?: In the midst of a massive feud between Alistair's family and another great, prominent house of Nefen, the heavily scientifically inclined Hillighams lost control of a disease they created and intended to use in order to eradicate their rivals and their followers. This ultimately caused the quick but painful death of several hundreds in a large town far south of the capital where they were experimenting, sullying Alistair's family name, killing most of her next of kin (as well as the creators of the plague) and leaving her no choice but to forgo her first and last name and flee. Too absorbed on her studies, Alistair, now calling herself "Cain" was innocent of this deed (caused mainly by her brother and father) and could easily prove so. Yet people in grief do not easily forgive, and she had no resort but to flee as far as possible from any survivor who slighted her for the spread of the plague and its ignominious effects. She came back to Nefen and embarked on the first ship willing to take on passengers, resigned to keep running forward without a true destination in mind. She doesn't know anyone in Melithas but it was better than staying anywhere near the somber legacy of her clan.
Link to a former officer: During the travel as a passenger, Cain spent a considerable amount of time with Wirlir. With common interests, they were at first discussing of science and the hurdles of medical practice at sea, exchanging advice and opinion, then later taking on philosophical topics regarding the Aasimar's nature and what may lie beyond death for both of them.
Officer Position: Ship's Surgeon

Realistic posting rate: I can post once a day without issues during the week. Week-ends are busier and I usually post once, either on Saturday or Sunday.
Previous role playing experience: My interest in D&D began with Baldur's Gate 2, prompting me to research Ad&D 2 and play 2.5 for a few games. With little other people into Med-fantasy to play with, I ended up playing Mage: The Ascension during high school. Had a 10 years hiatus where my biggest RPG experience was merely playing on a DM animated multiplayer NwN module. I came back to the fray in 5e and have been playing for about 4 or 5 years non stop on table. In terms of PbP my experience is limited to a few months.
Number of forum games you're currently playing: 3, two of them being relatively slow. +1 West March that serves as buffer. (It doesn't take too much time and can be stopped after coming back to town if I feel I'm in over my head with work.) All in all, more than enough time to fully dedicate to another game like this one!
Any other notes: I have no issues matching the pace of a slower game is need be and won't push for a faster posting rate if people don't feel like it. However I'm not going to lie, if the rate drops to a steady 1 post a week or less I might get bored and my interest in the campaign drop considerably. I won't quit, but getting fully invested and taking initiatives at such a rate isn't easy.
On another note, when you initially posted your Interest check I had written a rather lengthy background for Cain, compressing that in a scant few 1 paragraph portions has been painful! But the exercise was interesting nonetheless and there is much more to the character to discover than what is written here ^^

Character Sheet (WIP)

Last edited by Sadral; 07-11-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Smartass Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
I’ve updated the table to this point and added a requirement to state what officer position your character would be trying to fill.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1850
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Quick question about the down time. Since the characters need 7 days to get the benefits of long rest (and recover spells etc.), does that mean they need to do nothing of note during those seven days? What if they get into combat on day six? Or if a spellcaster casts a spell, does the cycle start over again?

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Smartass Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymrel View Post
Quick question about the down time. Since the characters need 7 days to get the benefits of long rest (and recover spells etc.), does that mean they need to do nothing of note during those seven days? What if they get into combat on day six? Or if a spellcaster casts a spell, does the cycle start over again?
Think of it like combat during your watch at night. You can still have the benefits of a long rest despite combat at night. Same here. Certain situations will prevent one but you’ll be notified about it.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 393
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Alto Fizzle Rockbottom
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Artificer (Battle Smith)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Shipwright

Life at Sea Low Places: You have contacts in the smuggling outfits along the coast; you occasionally repair the criminals' ships in exchange for coin and favors. (It's good to have friends, especially those that can help you to get the hard to find, "restricted" stuff, or "illegal" stuff. Who makes those silly rules anyways!?)

Appearance: Fizzle stands at a height of roughly four feet tall. His frame is thin but muscular. His hair is jet black and usually kept rather stylishly parted to one side and his skin is grayish in color. He's abandoned his traditional gnome attire for an outfit more suiting for a seafaring adventurer; complete with fancy boots and a cape.

Personality: In his mind, Fizzle is a world class craftsman and an Adventurer, destined for glory. Often, what others see is a power crazed Gnome with grandiose ambitions. One thing that no one can deny is his love of the ship. He sees any damage to it as an injury to a close and personal friend, and himself as it's surgeon. Another thing that no one can deny is that the Gnome is chatty and rather friendly. When he's not busy working on the ship, he is often found chatting up crewmembers, passengers or prisoners (whomever will listen). Against the Captain's wishes, Fizzle enjoys setting up a music box that produces a small amount of light for the prisoners.

Where did you acquire your talents?: Fizzle was born a Carpenter. More accurately, he was born the son of a Carpenter that wanted his son to follow in his footsteps. Learning to craft was fun but the boy was often distracted by his own attempts at tinkering. Around the time he turned 30, he started realizing his arcane potential. Rather than allowing it to change his course, he learned to harness that power and to become an even greater craftsman and tinker. His greatest ambition is to craft something with the power of a star.

Chose a starting point: Crewmember.

Why did you join the sailing ship as a regular crew member?: Five years ago, Fizzle booked passage on the ship in order to set off on his "Great Adventure" on the southern island of Melithas. Shortly into the trip, Koguz found the Gnome down in the cargo bay snooping around. The glowing stone he carried was like a beacon in the night. After being thrown in a cell and marked a thief, Fizzle picked the lock and tracked down Koguz to defend himself and insist that he was merely admiring the ships craftsmanship. Koguz laughed hysterically at the Gnomes bravery (or stubbornness) and insisted that the Captain take him on as a shipwright.

Link to a former officer: Fizzle worked closely with the half-orc Koguz, the ship's boatswain. The Half-Orc took a liking to the ambitious little Gnome and also saw the potential in him.. as long as he was kept on task. Koguz never referred to Alto by his chosen nickname (Fizzle) but instead referred to him almost exclusively as "Little Buddy."

Officer Position: Bosun

Realistic posting rate: I can post once a day without issues during the week. Weekends are iffy.

Previous role playing experience: Despite growing up a huge fantasy fiction nerd, I have only been playing DND 5E (first and only TTRPG) for about 7 months now. I found this site back in March and I've been hooked since.

Number of forum games you're currently playing: Three. One Town Builder, One Endless Arena and one Standard (Phandelver Mine). What I'm still looking for is a highly active (at least 3x a week) story that I can really get in to.

Last edited by Treble83; Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 AM
Breaker of 4th Walls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9125
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Posting Interest. PM Sent.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Application is now complete!

Henry Crow
right-aligned image
Name: Henry Crow

Race: Half-Elf

Class & Subclass: Warlock – Hexblade

Background: Sailor – Explorer

Appearance: Henry Crow is a tall, slender half-elf with blonde, almost red hair and beard. He combs his shoulder-length hair back and cultivates carefully maintained mutton chops and beard. His attire depends on the weather and situation, but he’s most comfortable in loose shirts, leather pants and high boots. He is rarely seen without his sword hanging from his belt, a slightly curved longsword with a distinctive red-tinted blade. When expecting trouble he’ll put on armor, either heavy leather or light mail, and don a small shield.

Alignment: Lawful-Neutral

Starting Point: Passenger

Reason for taking passage: Henry tried and failed to find someone in Nefen willing to fund an expedition to find the island where he was marooned so he booked a passage on The Boreham hoping to find someone willing to invest in the business opportunity of a lifetime on Melithas. He knew “Smiling” Seth, the first mate, having served under Seth’s father when he was a young lad starting out as a cabin boy on a passenger ship. The first mate convinced captain Hale to give the rather broke Henry a considerable discount from the fare, perhaps hoping Henry could convince the captain to go looking for treasure on the mysterious island where Henry was once marooned.

Personality: To say that Henry Crow is driven is an understatement. He usually knows exactly what he wants out of any situation and goes for it if he possibly can. It takes real effort to dislike the genuinely likable half-elf and he is an expert at getting even people who can’t get along work together for a mutual goal. He has natural leadership skills honed from his time as the captain of the doomed exploration vessel The Wings of Elantar and the self-confidence that comes with the role. Since he in no way blames himself for the loss of that vessel he feels like he is the most capable person on board The Boreham to take command.

Where did you acquire your talents? Henry started out from the bottom, as a cabin boy on a passenger vessel out of Katan. He loved the sea and the unknown and eventually joined the crew of a small exploration vessel. There he learned to fill various roles among the crew, working himself up to first mate and eventually taking over as captain mid-voyage when the captain fell sick and died. The slight half-elf was never much of a fighter, leaving that to others better suited to killing (and dying…). That changed when he found the red blade. The ship was shipwrecked and he barely survived, drifting onto a sandy beach. Looking for civilization he found a small ziggurat near the beach with gold and riches but no obvious inhabitants. He also found a red-bladed sword which he claimed, along with all the gold and gemstones he could carry by making a bag out of his ragged cloak. After walking up the beach for days he eventually buried most of his treasure, including the sword, and built a raft. To his surprise the red-bladed sword appeared on the raft when he slept, and even when he threw it into the ocean it appeared next to him soon after, whispering promises of greatness through battle and blood. He was eventually picked up by a merchant vessel, but even after returning to port he still yearned for the ocean, feeling the treasure he buried, and whatever else could be found on the island he had found, calling to him.

Officer Position: Captain.

About meRealistic posting rate: I can post most days. Let’s call it every other day to be on the safe side.

Previous role playing experience: I’ve been playing for almost 30 years, gravitating more and more towards PbP for the lovely character development and interaction possibilities it offers.

Number of other games on the forum: I play in four other games here on the forum. Some are fast-paced with regular posting rates, others move more slowly. I currently play in The Breaking of Exandria, The Fall of Tal’Dorei, Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Return to Karredral.

Other notes: Nothing I can think off. This sounds like a very interesting game and I’m looking forward to the Session 0, and hopefully taking part in the game itself. Oh, and lest I forget. I should probably say that Henry Crow will be the star of the show (nudge nudge, wink wink).

Last edited by kymrel; 07-08-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostlymad View Post
Think of it like combat during your watch at night. You can still have the benefits of a long rest despite combat at night. Same here. Certain situations will prevent one but you’ll be notified about it.
Ok, great to know. It would be interesting to see how the gritty rules work in practice!

Last edited by kymrel; 07-08-2019 at 06:25 AM.